Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

• Please log in to reply
1668 replies to this topic

#1531 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

Loving the Shocktop Honeywheat Apple Crisp.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 22 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#1532 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

What an awesome day! Not really all beer related - but still.

We brewed our second beer today. Stepped it up to a specialty grain/unhopped extract Great Lakes Porter clone that we got at our local home brew shop. Boiling grains. Hop boil - bittering then flavor then aroma! Fun stuff really. They can half most any of their bazillian 5gal recipies.

Tried our first brew last night for the first time - the American Classic Light that came with our mr. beer kit. It had been 2 weeks primary fermentation then 2 weeks secondary in bottles. Not super carbonated - probably needs another week or so. It wasn't *bad* for what it was - but it wasn't great. Garbage in garbage out I suppose. We were certainly ready for the step up to what we did today. We know are way around the kitchen and cooking in general so it was fun and really pretty easy for us. We are already discussing all grain.

As far as drinking - I've been having bourbon the last few nights! Bulleit and some ancient ancient age ten star tonight. Bulleit 10 year is out now and I have a birthday coming up so that might just be a good gift for me!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1533 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Anybody try Ommegang's Iron Throne yet? Yes it is kinda cheesy to have a beer tie-in to Game of Thrones but most stuff from Ommegang is pretty tasty so I expect good things. Haven't seen it around town yet and want to know if it is even worth it.
End of line.

#1534 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

I've had some good stuff lately.

Dogfish Head Aprihop--had it in bottles and a growler. Much better than in years past as it's not as sweet.

Dogfish Head Noble Rot--very good and interesting brew made with sour grapes. Kind of struck me as combo of a Flemish Sour and a Tripel

Dogfish Head Birra Etrusca--One of their ancient recipe beers. Reminded me of one of a more complex version of their Raison de Etre with the hints of raisin's fruit etc.

Dogfish Head Rhizing Bines (think that was the name--one of the Life and Limbs series)--a collboaration between them and Sierra Nevada. Reminded me a lot of Bell's Hopslam--very hoppy, with good malt balance and hints of honey.

Avery New World Porter--very good, more carbonated than most porters.

Edited by dmaul1114, 28 March 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#1535 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:08 AM

I found a belgian style yeti at a local supermarket the other day. I really want to try it any opinions on it? Believe Denver brewing company makes it, from the great divide line. It was bottled in June 2012 but its a dark beer so I'm sure it ages well

#1536 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Great Divide is the brewery. I saw it as well but haven't tried it yet. The other version of the Yeti are great though.

Had a growler of Six Point Diesel Stout last night. It was pretty decent.

#1537 Vendetta_x360

Vendetta_x360

♥ 정수연

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

Belgian Yeti is Delish! Loved it and sadly I think they discontinued that one and are going to replace it.

As for me I just tried the New New Belgium Summer Seasonal Rolle Bolle. It is typical summer fare. Easily sessionable.

Also tried New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA and their Hop Kitchen Hoppy Bock Lager.

Rampant is fantastic. Lots of hops so I really like it. Citrusy with grapefruit and subtle blueberry tones.

Hoppy Bock isn't as hoppy as I would have liked it to be and is quite lite in hue. I think it is a very sessionable beer.

Edited by ZxT Vendetta, 29 March 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Vendetta%20x360.jpg

:3ds: FC: 4957-3481-3976 (PM me if you add so I can add you!)

Currently Playing:  :360: Lightning Returns :xb1: Madden 25, Dead Rising 3

Recently Completed: Wolf Among Us, :360: & :xb1: Halo:Spartan Assault

#1538 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

Picked up a 6 pack of Victory's Headwaters Pale Ale. Oh my goodness. dat taste.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#1539 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I had a few beers last week over break that were pretty good. As usual, Bell's did not disappoint with the Hopslam. Also had Three Floyd's Brian Boru and Dogfish 60 Minute IPA, both of which were pretty damn good. I also tried Goose Island Baudonia, which is part of their Bourbon County Stout line. I've have bourbon ales before, but man, this one kicked my ass. My room mate (the one who ordered it) couldn't even finish.

Also picked up some bottled stuff. I stopped by Three Floyd's on my way home and grabbed some Gumballhead, Alpha King, Pride and Joy and Robert the Bruce. All very good. Also went up to Wisconsin and grabbed a New Glaraus variety pack (Spotted Cow, Two Women, Fat Squirrel and Bock). I didn't think they were too bad except for the Bock, which I thought was great.

Also, our beer wall is getting pretty impressive for a college apartment. :p We still have like 15 more in the fridge to eventually get up there.

Spoiler

#1540 chefgamer

chefgamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

1 of my new favorite beers is Old Dominion DD

#1541 motorkill

motorkill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

Heh, unfortunate for me neither Bell's nor 3 Floyds distribute in North Jersey:bomb:. Really want that Hop Slam and Zombie Dust. Ive read that 3 floyds is only available in some parts in the mid west? But im hoping to find some Bell's when I take my trip down to Vegas in a few months.

Had a Smoking wood Rye Whiskey Barrel Aged rye beer by The Bruery yesterday. Had a very noticeable 13%abv. Really damn good though. Half a bottle put me on my ass.

]

#1542 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

Just tried some Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, good stuff!

Next up is some Triton Four Barrel Brown.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#1543 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Heh, unfortunate for me neither Bell's nor 3 Floyds distribute in North Jersey:bomb:. Really want that Hop Slam and Zombie Dust. Ive read that 3 floyds is only available in some parts in the mid west? But im hoping to find some Bell's when I take my trip down to Vegas in a few months.

I live about 20 minutes from the 3Floyds brewery. I have noticed it is a lot harder to get their stuff in the local liquor stores within the past year. I have them on Facebook for updates, and whenever they announce they have Zombie Dust for carry out the stuff literally sells out in 2~3 days.

A while back I heard a rumor that they intentionally hold back their supply to build demand for it. How true that is, I really don't know. They have also been getting criticized lately for selling barrel aged batches of certain beers for $35 a bomber. Luckily for me I'm not some extreme beer connoisseur and could care less about what they do. Just some things to keep in mind though.

Posted Image

#1544 motorkill

motorkill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

I live about 20 minutes from the 3Floyds brewery. I have noticed it is a lot harder to get their stuff in the local liquor stores within the past year. I have them on Facebook for updates, and whenever they announce they have Zombie Dust for carry out the stuff literally sells out in 2~3 days.

A while back I heard a rumor that they intentionally hold back their supply to build demand for it. How true that is, I really don't know. They have also been getting criticized lately for selling barrel aged batches of certain beers for $35 a bomber. Luckily for me I'm not some extreme beer connoisseur and could care less about what they do. Just some things to keep in mind though.

Yeah Ive heard that there stuff tends to sell out quickly and that your best shot is to grab there stuff directly from the brewery. Ive also heard the rumor about them intentionally holding back there supply as well. Unfortunate if true, but they have denied it. Still wouldnt mind getting my hand on some of their stuff though. Thanks for the info.

]

#1545 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

Went down to my friends brewery Friday because another friend had some artwork hanging and a band was playing. Always good beer there. They had a collaboration brew they did with Hop City - Unlock My Bock - sort of as a homebrew legalization awareness thing. We are now the last and only state where homebrewing is illegal! A bill is third on line on Tuesday so it has a very, very good chance of coming up for a vote. I also got to try their 100th batch brew - a pale ale - which was ok (the maibock was awesome though - and those several IPAs were too!)

Spent the night in Pensacola last week and went to The Fish House - good seafood - but had some only so-so Pensacola Bay Brewery porter and amber - honestly - less than so-so really.

Picked up a DFH 75min and a Stone smoked porter - was really hoping for more but just didn't see much that struck my fancy. No cigar city humidor series stuff... I picked up two bourbons - Eagle Rare which I've been wanting to try and Evan Williams single barrel - which actually sort of blew me away for the price (23.99) It really can hold it's own with bourbons twice that price. Though from what I understand it's really inconsistent and you never know when you are getting a good barrel or not.

Our "classic american light" Mr. Beer brew is what it is - tastes like bud light or something. Not my thing but it came with the kit. Our Great Lakes porter clone will be bottled next weekend.

Hoping to hear word very soon that Stone is finally coming in to the state.

Regarding withholding supply - Pappy Van Winkle admittedly does it and it's put them in a highly desirable cult status. I mean 3floyds dark lord day is at that level. It's insane. It's obviously intentionally limited release. Whether they are withholding across the board on purpose or not I don't know but they've already sort of become pretty well known so I'd imagine there is good demand for them - I couldn't imagine them holding back at this point. I could imagine expansion though.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1546 Vendetta_x360

Vendetta_x360

♥ 정수연

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Anyone try the Ommegang Game of Thrones Beer yet? My buddy in Denver snagged me a bottle of that and a bottle of Rhizing Bines (the Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Collabo). Getting those from him when I head down to Denver next month :D

Vendetta%20x360.jpg

#1547 motorkill

motorkill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

Anyone try the Ommegang Game of Thrones Beer yet? My buddy in Denver snagged me a bottle of that and a bottle of Rhizing Bines (the Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Collabo). Getting those from him when I head down to Denver next month :D

Had it on tap about a week ago. It was good but nothing special. Wouldn't mind trying it again but haven't seen it bottled in my area so far.

Anybody here manage to get their hands on Founder's KBS yet? Pain in the ass trying track it down up here. Me and my brother were lucky:roll: enough to get one bottle each. Seems that most of the liquor stores up here are only getting about one case of it, so they have to sell bottles individually. Sucks.

]

#1548 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yeah KBS sold out down here quickly this year. Two bottle limit and one keg - pints only at our big craft beer store. I didn't bother trying to get any. I got a half growler last year around end of Sept. That store (Hop City) had just recently opened and I think the owner had saved a keg as a special surprise for us.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1549 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, the hop city here sold out of KBS in two hours or less per their facebook posts.

#1550 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Drinking an Urban Chestnut Winged Nut. Not to bad.
Posted Image

#1551 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Got to try some Sun King Brewing stuff tonight at a local bar. Had the Osiris Pale Ale and the Sunlight Cream Ale. The freaking Osiris Pale Ale just blew me away. $4 bucks a can which is really cheap for being out and about. This particular bar allows carry outs during the week, I think I might just start checking them out and possibly getting some bargains.

The Sunlight Cream Ale wasn't really up my alley. Then again I'm not a fan of that style to begin with. It was pretty decent but I wouldn't drink it again. I'm fairly open minded when it comes to trying new beers and haven't really come across one that I will just flat out not drink yet.

I didn't get to try out the Wee Mac as it was pretty much closing time by then. Like I said though, I am definitely gonna go up there some time this upcoming week and see if I can score some mix & match stuff on the cheap. That area isn't really particular on the beer scene and the stuff will most likely end up siting anyway.

Cheers!

Posted Image

#1552 Vendetta_x360

Vendetta_x360

♥ 정수연

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hooray! Found a friend that will be able to bring me some Hop Slam to try next month. :D

Vendetta%20x360.jpg

#1553 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Picked up some Old Chub, can't wait to crack them open this weekend.

Sierra Nevada is also doing a summer run of Ruthless Rye 2013. So excited for it!

#1554 motorkill

motorkill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:21 AM

Just has a Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale. One of my first craft beers and it continues to never disappoint. So damn good! Picked up their Day Man ipa the other day. Cant wait to try it.

]

#1555 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

Picked up a 6 pack of Victory's Hop Wallop this afternoon. A bit more than I like to spend @ $13 for a 6. Stuff is pretty good but a bit too hoppy for me I think. It packs a nice 8.5% which isn't too noticeable. I like it but not sure if I'd buy again. I can usually get a Goose Island or New belgium 12 pack sampler for that price so :/

Posted Image

#1556 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Had a lot of beer lately.

A couple hefeweisses--Paulener and forget the other.

Sam Adams Summer Sampler. The standard Boston Lager and Summer Ale. The other stuff was all pretty solid. Porch Rocker was a lemony beer that was very good, the Little White Rye was solid, the Belgian Session was ok, and even the Blueberry Hill Lager was all right as the blueberry flavor wasn't over done.

The Rye got me on a rye kick so I had some Sweetwater LowRyder IPA and got a growler of Monday Night Brewing's Eye Patch IPA which I'm having now which is very good with a nice rye bite to it.

Last, but not least, scored a couple bombers of Stone Enjoy By 5-17-13 IPA and Stone Espresso Russian Imperial Stout. Had the last batch of Enjoy By in growler and loved it, and the regular Stone RIS is one of my favorite beers so I'm really looking forward to trying this odd year take on it.

Picked up a 6 pack of Victory's Hop Wallop this afternoon. A bit more than I like to spend @ $13 for a 6. Stuff is pretty good but a bit too hoppy for me I think. It packs a nice 8.5% which isn't too noticeable. I like it but not sure if I'd buy again. /

Maybe give the Victory Hop Devil a try.

The Hop Wallop is their double/imperial IPA so it's hoppier, higher alcohol and pricier.

The Hop Devil is damn good, not as hoppy, lower ABV and usually around $9.99 a sixer.

#1557 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

Maybe give the Victory Hop Devil a try.

The Hop Wallop is their double/imperial IPA so it's hoppier, higher alcohol and pricier.

The Hop Devil is damn good, not as hoppy, lower ABV and usually around $9.99 a sixer.

Yeah I've had the Hop Devil before. I'm drinking another 2 bottles Hop Wallop tonight and it's kicking my ass. I don't know why I said the 8.5% wasn't very noticeable because I sure taste it tonight, lol. Still gonna have another 2 left after tonight. I really need to drink this stuff already!

Posted Image

#1558 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Sam Adams Summer Sampler. The standard Boston Lager and Summer Ale. The other stuff was all pretty solid. Porch Rocker was a lemony beer that was very good, the Little White Rye was solid, the Belgian Session was ok, and even the Blueberry Hill Lager was all right as the blueberry flavor wasn't over done.

Saw that you mentioned this, so I picked one up when I was out yesterday. Definitely not a bad choice. I usually enjoy summer beers as I like fruity beers, and this pack didn't disappoint. Although I still don't like the standard Boston Lager, so my room mate took those off of my hands.

And speaking of summer beers, has anybody tried the Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy (or something like that)? Leinenkugel's tend to be a bit too sweet for my tastes, but I'm curious about this one.

Other than the Sam Adams, I tried a Three Floyd's Lord Rear Admiral recently as well. I though it was pretty good, although not nearly as good as the Dreadnaught that I'm saving. :) Also tried some Hawaiian type beers from Kona(?). My room mate and I did a mix-a-six, so we tried all six of them. Not bad overall. Not my first choice, but I'd pick up a six pack for a decent price.

#1559 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:51 AM

I tried the summer shandy and it wasn't bad if I remember right. I just picked up the summer sampler from sam adams. Plan to give them a try over the next few days.
Posted Image

#1560 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

So earlier today I was browsing the App Store and stumbled upon this.

http://www.beerbuddyapp.com/

After searching the internet for some "free" versions to try out, I broke down and bought it. (First app ever.) Definitely worth it. I'd suggest it for anybody who loves their beer. :)