Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

• Please log in to reply
1681 replies to this topic

#1651 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

That's probably true.  Just don't go in expecting a hop blast regardless, as it's far less hoppy than the 90 minute or even the 60 minutes since the malts and alcohol overpower the hops.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1652 cheapfrag

cheapfrag

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

So I had the 120 minute last night.  I had thought it would be darker and less carbonated.  But it fit right in with the 60 minute, 90 minute line of dogfish beers.  Stronger but also sweeter than the others.  It was nice finally having one, but it's not one that I will be craving in the future.

#1653 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

Anybody else going to Dark Lord Day this year? Me and a buddy got tickets, so I'm going to be there. It's my first one, so I'm pretty excited. :)

#1654 motorkill

motorkill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Anybody else going to Dark Lord Day this year? Me and a buddy got tickets, so I'm going to be there. It's my first one, so I'm pretty excited. :)

*sigh* Was planning to go but unfortunately a couple of things came up :-x. Maybe next time I guess. Whats the bottle limit btw? 

]

#1655 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Each ticket holder is allowed one bottle of Dark Lord. And generally, a ticket holder has 2 tickets, one for the buyer and one for a guest. And since most people buy a guest ticket, there's one bottle for every 2 people.

#1656 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:12 AM

RE: DFH 120 - it's been several years but I remember it being syrup and super sweet. It wasn't very beer-like to me. Maybe one day I'll try another one.

Got a couple Enjoy By 4-20-14s and had one 5 days after bottled on date. It was nice. It didn't blow me away but it was very drinkable for a ~10% abv beer.

I too have been drinking a bunch of the session ipas. Love the Founders All Day and Terrapin's Recreationale.

We stopped alcohol for a short bit because of a detox diet thing we are doing but it's slowly crept back in over the past couple of weeks. It's not quite as frequent as it was though. Like I didn't have anything tonight ;)

We have a coffee oatmeal stout planned for brewing in the next few days. It's a Sammy Smith oatmeal stout clone that we are going to cold brew some coffee and add to fermentation.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1657 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for reminding me about Enjoy By. Looks like Indiana got it this time as well; I'll have to pick one up tonight. Also, I tried a Sixpoint Resin this weekend. It was OK, but way too hoppy for my tastes (103 IBU).

#1658 laney

laney

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

I like beer.

I like Troegs, Yards, and Victory.

Sometimes Spaten ! Gulden Draak too.

76561198027893276.png

#1659 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Grabbed a big case of Sam Adams IPA Hopology at Costo.  It has Double Agent IPL, Roggen Wolf (a new Rye IPA), Tasman Red IPA, Third Voyage (double IPA), Grumpy Monky (Belgian style IPA), and White Water IPA.

Also nabbed a 4 pack the had of Stone Bombers for $16.99 that included the Russian Imperial Stout, Sublimely Self Righteous Ale, Arrogant Bastard Ale and IPA.  Great price for four of my favorite beers.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1660 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:14 AM

Ooohhh that Sam Adams pack sounds nice! I'll give it a try even though I've sworn off Sam Adams. My wife mentioned the Stone 4 pack and I'll definitely be picking one or two of those up - def a great price.

I've made some whiskey sours the past few days with fresh lemons - man it's awesome! Also I see a mention of Gulden Draak - I had a 2009 one the other day for my birthday. It was real nice and mellow. So easy to drink I could have had a few.

Brewed a Sam Smith Oatmeal Porter clone and added some cold brew coffee to the fermentation. I'll probably bottle it in a few days. The lower abv (appx. 5%) will allow us to try it relatively soon.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1661 combatFlexo

combatFlexo

Who are those guys?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Anyone going on a Founder's KBS hunt?  I have three liquor stores, I frequently attend with two having my name and number.  Called a few yesterday and no luck.  Hopefully I will get a call by Thursday. Getting KBS is almost like catching a unicorn.

#1662 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

No KBS hunting for me. I was lucky to get a 32oz growler fill of it a few years back and it was awesome but I'll let others have a try from here on out. I don't do Hopslam hunting either anymore for the same reason. I even have some Hopslam from like 09 and 10 I think hanging around. Silly me - aging Hopslam! (a 5 year Hopslam vertical *would* be pretty interesting though.) But I'm not against hunting down those elusive brews by any means and I certainly wish those searching the best of luck. Bell's black note is out now too. Maybe one day I'll get to try a taste of Pliny the younger or a Dark Lord but as of now I'd probably chose a trip to on the bourbon trail to hunt down some Pappy Van Winkle instead.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1663 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Same here.  I've had most of the rare stuff like KBS and Hopslam that comes out around me, so I don't bother hunting for it anymore.  If I stumble into some on tap or whatever, great, but I just don't have the interest in waiting in line for tickets, calling around etc.  I've never found any of the rarities to be worth the hassle.  Great beers, but none are in my top ten or anything.  I'm kind of at a point of mostly drinking my favorites and not trying that much new stuff anymore--at least in terms of buying beer for the house.  I still try new stuff on tap and restaurants/brew pubs etc.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1664 Nogib

Nogib

*squeezing* the *juice*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Anyone going on a Founder's KBS hunt?  I have three liquor stores, I frequently attend with two having my name and number.  Called a few yesterday and no luck.  Hopefully I will get a call by Thursday. Getting KBS is almost like catching a unicorn.

Weather permitting, I may try to hunt it down.

End of line.

#1665 Vendetta_x360

Vendetta_x360

♥ 정수연

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Just got a bottle of Firestone Walker Parabola and the Prairie/Evil Twin Collabo "Bible Belt".  Can't wait to try both.  I am going to try and get a 2nd Parabola to age though.  Love Firestone Walker's beers.  Quickly becoming my favorite brewery.  Right up there with Odell's.

On a side note.  I'm very excited I am going to Santa Rosa in October.  Russian River Brewing Company :D

Vendetta%20x360.jpg

:3ds: FC: 4957-3481-3976 (PM me if you add so I can add you!)

Currently Playing:  :360: Red Dead, Ghosts :xb1: Watch Dogs

Recently Completed: Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead S2

#1666 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

The only downside of Trader Joe's is that their selection rotates very quickly, at least at my closest location.  I'll pick up a bottle or two of something, finally try it, and when I go back for more -- they're out of it or have rotated new stock in its place.

So if you find something of theirs you like, do not hesitate to get as much of it as you can justify.  Luckily I managed to grab two more bottles of their 2013 Vintage Ale before they disappeared; decided to leave one on the shelf because I hate being "that guy."  At $5-$6 per 750ml, I will continue to try out their stuff.

For a little bit of something different, I picked up a half-rack of Third Shift's Amber Lager at just over a buck per bottle.  I'm generally not a fan of bitter hop flavors but this one has a really nice balance.

#1667 combatFlexo

combatFlexo

Who are those guys?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

Lucky for me I've landed 2 bottles of KBS this year.  Stores only selling one bottle to a customer going for $7-9 a bottle.  Looking forward to trying it, since I'm virgin to it.  Will not be going on an all out hunt next year.

#1668 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

Speaking of lucking into good beers on tap, had Stone Enjoy By 4/20/14 IPA and Stone Matt's Burning Rosids Imperial Cherrywood-Smoked Saison with dinner on Friday. They had the Game of Throne's beers on tap tap, and some other good stuff. Will definitely go back there. I bought a bottle of the Game of Thrones Fire and Blood Red Ale at the liquor store last night as I didn't get a chance to try that one Friday. Had a bunch of Take the Black Stout last fall, which was delicious.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1669 Vendetta_x360

Vendetta_x360

♥ 정수연

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

beerpickups_zps916233e1.jpg

Got these last week.  Very excited to try both Evil Twins since I've only had Biscotti Break so far.

Vendetta%20x360.jpg

:3ds: FC: 4957-3481-3976 (PM me if you add so I can add you!)

Currently Playing:  :360: Red Dead, Ghosts :xb1: Watch Dogs

Recently Completed: Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead S2

#1670 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

Just now found out Yuengling makes their own BBQ sauces. Any particular stores can you look for them in PA? My friend (who lives on the other side of the state) said he found them in a local grocery store but was hoping a chain might stock it as in my area there aren't too many non-established grocery marts. I see they sell them on their site and Amazon but want to see if I can chance it locally so I don't have to pay more than I have to.

#1671 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

Sam Adams Rebel IPA is pretty solid.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1672 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

While I was in Boston in April for PAX East I had some pretty good beers. Went on a brewery tour that included Beer Works, MeadHall, Night Shift, and Idle Hands. Idle Hands was interesting, tiny brewery lots of good beers. I did try Sam Adams Utopia at Meadhall and holy cow $25 for 1 oz. But it was good stuff, and its 27%

Recently I went to Growler Guys and grabbed a Growler full of Dunkel from Aying Brewing in Germany 

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#1673 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Picked up a case of the Sam Adams Latitude 48 deconstructed at Costco. It's pretty fun trying the single hop stuff with all the rest of the recipe of lat 48 staying the same. Neat idea.

Our COS that we made out of a Sammy Smith oatmeal stout clone turned out great. Has a very smooth, creamy mouthfeel almost like a nitro.

Just did our second annual father's day brew - this time a 3 Floyds Xtra Pale Ale clone. Should be nice for summer and be ready pretty quickly since it's not very high abv.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1674 FlyingAce39

FlyingAce39

Flyin' High Again

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Last April, when I was in Toledo, OH, I went to a local bar/tavern called the "Durty Bird". One block down from the Toledo Mudhens field going away from the convention center. They had a local brew called "Conway's Irish Ale". Needless to say, me and the fellas I went with were at the Durty Bird a few times before heading back south. That Irish Ale plus their killer Chicken Sandwich (named... you guessed it... the "Durty Bird") made for a fantastic meal. I've been dying to go back. The waitresses were hot and the beer was cold. Life was good.

660090.png 660091.png

#1675 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Had Dogfish Head's 120 last night.  I'm not really an IPA person, but I did like it.  Not sure if I'll pick it up next year or not.  I didn't even know it was out till the one place that got it in the area sent me an email Friday.  They were letting people buy 4 at a time only come Saturday they changed it to only 2 at a time due to the demand.  If I do decide to pick it up next year I'm getting put on the list for it.  I'm keeping my eye out for the Dogfish Head Pumpkin beer to be listed and the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout to come up on the list now.

I'm also tempted to make a trip down to Nashville to get a case or 2 of Yazoo.  I was down there in March for a Blues and Predators game and really liked the stuff.  

Posted Image

#1676 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Had Stone Ruin Ten on tap yesterday. Damn good.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1677 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

New Belgium (Fat Tire) started selling these variety packs. It's perfect for me.

new-belgium-folly-variety-pack-coming-in

#1678 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Fat Tire used to be one of my favorite beers then for some reason I don't remember I didn't drink the stuff for a couple of years. Drank it again a few months ago and drinking it right now while watching the world cup and I got to say, it's back as one of my favorites. Hopefully I can find one of those variety packs. I've tried the ranger and if I remember correctly I wasn't a fan of it but I'd love to try the other two.

#1679 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

The Ranger was my least favorite as well, but I'm just not a huge fan of pale ales. Plus my variety pack doesn't come with Shift. Instead it has a Pilsner called Blue Paddle which is quite nice. The Snapshot is good too, I do like my wheat ales. On top of that it's on sale around here for $13, which is a great deal for a 12 pack. Plus I like the cans. They're easier to store and dispose of.

otj0vr.png

#1680 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm not a beer fan usually.

Lately I've taken to dessert wines. Tawny Port and a nice Cream Sherry.

MC-2SD-Out.png<