XBLA - 3 on 3 NHL Arcade - Feb. 11 - 800 pts
Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:40 AM
- There is zero matchmaking. Why do I always get matched with someone who clearly obsesses over hockey games and beats me 10-0 by the end of the first period? I'm like 1-14.
- The gameplay boils down to who gets the most checks, since checks = power-ups. That's pretty much it. You shouldn't get power-ups for checking AI players that don't have the puck.
- Cheese cheese cheese. I should have learned my lesson about online sports games a long time ago, it's always about finding some cheesy move and doing it over and over. Case in point: skating straight at side of goal and deeking other direction at last possible second when you're practically clipping into the goalie. Works. Every. Time.
- Why is everyone else beefed up but the goalie is a total pussy? He'll let the other team get right up in his business, won't consistently fall on the puck and let it sit two inches away from his stick while the other team comes up and checks him and the puck into the goal. The cheese move mentioned above wouldn't be possible if the goalie actually engaged people that get right in his face.
- Why are the power-ups so inconsistent? I swear I never get the mini goalie power-up, maybe once a game, while the other guy will get it 5+ times and score on it every single time.
- Why can't I pick up the power-ups the other guy gets and why is there no visual distinction between his power-ups and mine when they're floating on the ice?
Sigh. Maybe I just really, really suck at hockey games, or people who are playing this are really, really good, but this is some of the most frustrating gaming I've had this generation. Either way I'm pissed that I wasted $10 on this.
Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:14 AM
Both my friend and I played the demo and thought it sucked. I bet his arse, it was funny. He was more irritated than me.
Usually, he wins...
My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:46 PM
One of the reasons I bought it was to play with roommates who aren't hardcore gamers--we play the old NHL games on SNES every once and awhile--but it's too complicated for them.
Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:02 PM
It was a lot of fun with my friend. I haven't played a random matchmaking game yet though.
Some of the above posters are right though - there are certain games that, if remade, would own on XBL or PSN. NBA Jam TE, Blitz, Return fire, etc.
Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:27 PM
I don't mind other players checking my player waiting for the puck after I score. I change my player when I see they are charging, and I just check them after they check my first guy. Plus, I can grab the powerup from the initial check, and when my guy gets up, he grabs the second powerup himself.