CAGcast #143: As Hardcore As They Wanna Be

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Downloading now.

Quick question for Wombat: is UGO's potential buyout of Ziff Davis going to affect you in any way? More expended or more diminished role?

WASSA GOING ON!?!

On the GameCube version of Resident Evil 4, you pulled your gun out with the R button, aimed with the Left stick, and fired with the Giant Green A button, Wombat. The c-stick did nothing.

"The real one". Really? I know you're joking, but... really? You guys seriously need to get over your PC gaming misconceptions.

CheapyD & Wombat you guys should do a Video Commentary on The Dark Knight since the blu-ray version has that feature "Create and Share Your Own Video Commentary"

[quote name='KingBroly']On the GameCube version of Resident Evil 4, you pulled your gun out with the R button, aimed with the Left stick, and fired with the Giant Green A button, Wombat. The c-stick did nothing.[/quote]

I believe the C-stick was quick turn, which if used correctly was very handy.

Re: Weak CAG Fund Response. Cheapy, I don't think you get a sense how bad things are right now. People are losing their jobs left and right. I should know. I'm one of them. Been looking for something new in my field for a long time and have kind of given up at this point. I'm doing what I can to get by. I'm not going to be out on the street but like many I'm squeeking by. Got a little money for entertainment but not much. Right now I'm saving and trying to pay down debts.

Cheapy doesn't grasp it because he's not in the economy that he's trying to appeal to. Neither am I, but you know.

Also, Cheapy: There's no Widget on Cheap Arse Gamer. We WOULD get our shit together, but you know, you're not following through for us UKers. : P

[quote name='banodyne']Re: Weak CAG Fund Response. Cheapy, I don't think you get a sense how bad things are right now. People are losing their jobs left and right. I should know. I'm one of them. Been looking for something new in my field for a long time and have kind of given up at this point. I'm doing what I can to get by. I'm not going to be out on the street but like many I'm squeeking by. Got a little money for entertainment but not much. Right now I'm saving and trying to pay down debts.[/quote]

I'm thankful that my job and my wife's jobs have not been affected. Big corps are cutting jobs to make sure they get their end year bonuses and it makes you sick. I am wondering if companies are doing this to have unemployment high when Obama takes over, so he looks like he saves the day when he takes office. I heard that most job losses are hitting the worst in the middle of the country. Since none of my family and friends are being effected it's hard to comment. Our black friday in the Delaware area was huge and all the toys my kids want are sold out for the most part which tells me people are spending money even online. I donated what I could and I don't think CheapyD is asking the unemployed to donate money. This is being promoted on multiple pod casts and hopefully enough money is raised.

Fun show this week. I look forward to Cheapy's review of the Acer netbook (at least a mention of how it's working for him).

I think there aren't too many movies out there that NEED to be in Blu-Ray (for example, Dark Knight is one I think will be better in BR, Kung Fu Panda probably doesn't need BR), but if you have a player, and you can get the Blu-Ray version for as cheap or cheaper than you can get the DVD version, why wouldn't you? That's true CAG spirit. ;)

Cheapy, just in case you ever need a real job, I don't think you have a future as Javert.

Wow, that dude who "defined" hardcore gamer seems like a douche. I think you guys responded well, I think it's hard to define, and there are a lot of variables. Good job!

/tk

Nice show guys.

Cheapy, look me up if you want to play Saints Row co-op. I'm almost done the single-player campaign, and want to check out the co-op as well.

[quote name='davidb69']I'm thankful that my job and my wife's jobs have not been affected. Big corps are cutting jobs to make sure they get their end year bonuses and it makes you sick. I am wondering if companies are doing this to have unemployment high when Obama takes over, so he looks like he saves the day when he takes office. I heard that most job losses are hitting the worst in the middle of the country. Since none of my family and friends are being effected it's hard to comment. Our black friday in the Delaware area was huge and all the toys my kids want are sold out for the most part which tells me people are spending money even online. I donated what I could and I don't think CheapyD is asking the unemployed to donate money. This is being promoted on multiple pod casts and hopefully enough money is raised.[/quote]

Do you mean that companies would lay people off so that when President Obama institutes his $2000 per employee hired tax credit, businesses will make a killing? So if I were a business, that might sound like a nice way to reduce a number of taxes, and insure profitability. I lay off 5000 workers now, rehire 2500 of them at significantly lower wages than before, and pocket $5 mil in tax savings. I find it hard to believe that companies would make the most of the situation to their financial advantage. After all companies are in the business of making money, and President Obama is handing them a way to cut costs and increase profits.

Great show. After the last few efforts which sounded like you guys were just phoning it in, this CAGcast was classic. Wombat was on top of his game and Cheapy's 'retarded' batman idea made me laugh out loud.

and Cheapy you were successful in guilting me into chipping in to Child's Play. We've all gotten some pretty good deals lately and easy to justify a $10 or $20 donation.

also. It is a myth that keeping a child awake later will make him sleep later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Cheapy about the great implementation of Netflix on the 360. Yes, it lacks current films, but it has a great selection of TV shows, documentaries, and lesser-known gems. My wife and I have also been catching up on 30 Rock, and the HD quality is impressive.

I found the discussion of Wombat and Cheapy’s holiday celebrations (or lack thereof) interesting and a little depressing. I mean, I come from a mixed background myself (Dad was a lapsed Catholic and Mom was a lapsed Jew, making us lazy cashews), but we always got our shit together around the holidays and generally celebrated both. Not that we went to church or temple necessarily, but we’d crack out the menorah, play some dreidel, put up a nice tree and stockings, and always tried to get thoughtful stuff for each other. What were the holidays like for the two of you growing up? It makes me sad to think that (at least in Cheapy’s case) the holidays are just another day for you. Getting stuff for yourself is nice, and probably less hassle and I realize the cultural differences make yours a unique situation, but there’s no substitute for the thought that goes into picking out a gift for someone, and the feeling you get when you know someone has done the same for you.

Regarding the IGN soccer manager debacle: As someone who works in publishing (waiting for that axe to fall any day now) and someone who has professionally reviewed games for online publications in the past, I can tell you that oftentimes there is little or no editorial oversight of these reviews (which is why IGN’s are generally packed full of terrible grammar and obvious typos). The reviewer is assigned the game and given a deadline. Then I suspect they just post it, and only go back and make edits if something is flagrantly amiss. Online-only pubs have long used a bare-bones editorial model that ink and paper publications are now being forced to adopt, and that often means only one set of eyes sees a piece before publication.

Also, Mr. Hardcore Halo is a douche. When I see someone with a ridiculous number of hours logged in a game, or a high rank, or whatever, I don't think of them as "hardcore." I think of them as someone who probably doesn't have much of a life outside of video games. I think of a hardcore gamer as someone who enjoys a certain type of gaming experience, not someone who performs to a certain level within those games.

I just got around to kicking in my $50 for the fundraiser. Sorry to hear its not going as well as last year. Its a tough year for fund raising. I've seen several articles to that effect in the last couple months.

By letting Tai sleep with you (indulging his crying for attention routine), you're ensuring that he will continue to wake you up at the same time every morning. Keeping the room dark and weaning him off the "sleeping with parents" method is important if you want to improve both you and Tai's overall sleep habits.

the walmart tragedy would never happen in canada either.

up here we are too laid back and polite for that shit. yes thats right, the rumors are true! canada is the best country in the world. second only to france MAYBE. because they have the best government known to man.

Re: Definition of hardcore gamer. My definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who's primary source of entertainment is videogames. That works pretty well, with the other categories being mainstream gamers and casual gamers. If you're reading this forum, you probably fall in the first group.

[quote name='banodyne']Re: Definition of hardcore gamer. My definition of a hardcore gamer is someone who's primary source of entertainment is videogames. That works pretty well, with the other categories being mainstream gamers and casual gamers. If you're reading this forum, you probably fall in the first group.[/quote]

Actually, I think for most readers of this forum, BUYING video games (at a steep discount) is their primary source of entertainment. ;)

Good show.

Was it just me or did the talk about RE4/RE5's control scheme make it sound really complicated? They should look into simplifying it a bit before its release or just let us remap the controls ourselves.

dammit wombat how can you call yourself a freakin comicbook nerd and you mess up the facts of batman and the knightfall series. yes he got his back broken by bane but he didnt wear armor. someone took over for him while he recouperated( i forget his name but he was a blonde guy who had been part of some assasins cult and had been trained to be a killer). that guy over a period of time became more and more obsessed with being batman and over time changed the batsuit ( starting with gauntlets what show out batarangs) and over time he added more and more stuff ) until towars the end he had a complete batsuit with all sorts of badass shit like flamethrowers and what not.

he beat bane and the real batman after training ( kightquest series) defeated the guy who took over his role (knightsend series). it kills me when people fuck up comic series storylines that much. i am looking foward to that new batman game though.

oh yeah that guy who took over for batman was at one point codenamed azriel.

I was laughing at the part with darkness bear because he sent me a pm talking shit and being an "internet tough guy" over my little big planet question from last week. Kick the douche in the nuts twice as hard next time he tries to get your autograph ok Cheapy?

Cheapy, my lack of interest in hearing about corn is why I moved AWAY from Nebraska. Otherwise, great podcast.

[quote name='lokizz']dammit wombat how can you call yourself a freakin comicbook nerd and you mess up the facts of batman and the knightfall series. yes he got his back broken by bane but he didnt wear armor. someone took over for him while he recouperated( i forget his name but he was a blonde guy who had been part of some assasins cult and had been trained to be a killer). that guy over a period of time became more and more obsessed with being batman and over time changed the batsuit ( starting with gauntlets what show out batarangs) and over time he added more and more stuff ) until towars the end he had a complete batsuit with all sorts of badass shit like flamethrowers and what not.

he beat bane and the real batman after training ( kightquest series) defeated the guy who took over his role (knightsend series). it kills me when people fuck up comic series storylines that much. i am looking foward to that new batman game though.

oh yeah that guy who took over for batman was at one point codenamed azriel.[/quote]
Azrael

Unlike alot of other people i actually like when Cheapy is talking about Saints Row 2. Him talking stuff about pimpin' his ride and shit like that.. all great fun.

Both had equally great things to say in this episode and starting the show with a fart noise was FREAKING EPIC!

damn, I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what the music was at the beginning only to face palm when I realized it was Katamari.

Good show Cheapy and Wombat.

I haven't listened to the show in nearly 2 years. Not that it's bad or otherwise, just don't care to listen to be honest for unexplainable reasons (or possibly time... college artwork keeps a man busy) >_<

Thx for the LBP Street Fighter reference of my level :)

[quote name='gunm']By letting Tai sleep with you (indulging his crying for attention routine), you're ensuring that he will continue to wake you up at the same time every morning. Keeping the room dark and weaning him off the "sleeping with parents" method is important if you want to improve both you and Tai's overall sleep habits.[/quote]

Not necessarily the best idea for the overall health of a child. They're dependent for a reason and forcing/weaning them to become more independent can have negative consequences outside of sleeping habits. Also, not true that putting your kids to bed later leads to them waking up later. All kids are different, but generally speaking they will get more hours of sleep and still wake up later if you put them to bed earlier.

Cheapy, I'm really interested in the Earforce X4, and I would really like to check out your video review. I have the Earforce X2 and it works well, but you can't control chat volume independently from game sounds and that makes it really difficult to hear what other people are saying in loud games. Also, you can indeed use the X1/2/3/4 with the Playstation 3 and use chat by using a USB sound card with microphone input. I got one at monoprice.com and it works just fine. Just keep in mind that the audio jack on the headset is 2.5mm and the input on the USB sound card is 3.5mm so you'll also need some kind of adapter.

[quote name='bardockkun']Azrael[/quote]

damn i thought i had misspelled that. thanks for the correction. you wouldnt happen to remember what that guys real name was though do you ? i think they did say it but i cant remember.

bread's done
Back