Is Sony's PS3 Really a Sinking Ship?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
235 replies to this topic

#91 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:30 AM

We've been in a recession for a year. The flow of credit has stopped and the numbers show that people are buying less. There's no way the PS3 is outselling the 360.

#92 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:31 AM

PS3 a sinking ship? Worldwide, the PS3 is on pace or outsold the 360 at the same 2 year point in its life. Something like 17.5m 360s sold worldwide vs 18m ps3 sold worldwide at the 2 year life point. One costs double the other. Which is in trouble again?

Stop looking at NA numbers only. Game companys sell games worldwide, and the PS3 is a bread winner for third partys. Quality of first party games is no comparison, sonys first party games blow away the 360 first party games. Its not even a comparison.

Also, home is kinda silly right now. The game launching has not hit yet, which is its major draw. However, ive never played anything like it. I do load it up, check out what is showing in the theater, and sometimes i go to the music place and talk about how much i like tacos while doing the running man. I know its silly, but its a fun change of pace and you meet new people all the time. This is not possible on any other console in the world.

Also, lol @ the bitter hd dvd fanboy in this thread talking about warner being paid off, etc. Those are bitter tears like none other. Blu-ray is the defacto standard in 1080p movies. Its done.

Sony should make this an official statement; that's too smooth to be coporate... too smooth.
Posted Image

#93 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:31 AM

Such a simple question turned into a "system war" topic pretty quickly.

pew pew

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#94 Barnolde

Barnolde

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:32 AM

It's just Sony's fault for being retarded this holiday. Expensive system + no bundles ($500 + a year old game doesn't count) = cheap systems will outsell you.

#95 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:33 AM

I don't get why you Sony kids can't admit that the system has been pretty disappointing. I mean, we 360 owners freely admit that MS's system is made out of pizza boxes and wood glue...

#96 munch

munch

la tĂȘte de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:35 AM

The PS3 is boring.

#97 dyeknom

dyeknom

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:39 AM

We've been in a recession for a year. The flow of credit has stopped and the numbers show that people are buying less. There's no way the PS3 is outselling the 360.

Read that again. "Maybe not in flat number of sales, but Month-to-Month and Year-to-year percentage"

Actually, the numbers for the gaming industry dont show that people are "buying less." January -> September 08 realized an overall (hardware, games, accessories) 26% increase compared to January -> September 07 sale numbers.

And it's not a matter of "PS3 fanboys" not admitting that they are disappointed with their system, it's a matter of other system fanboys inserting themselves and telling other console owners what they should think.

#98 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:40 AM

Oh yeah? I'd like to see these numbers.

#99 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:43 AM

All I know is that the 360 is a whole entire year older than the PS3 and shouldn't still be outselling it.

#100 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:44 AM

Oh wait, I see.

#101 dyeknom

dyeknom

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:02 AM

Oh yeah? I'd like to see these numbers.

Go over the NPD reports. The year to year sales are still at around 22% growth overall... with the wii unloading 2 million consoles in November.

And yes, sony did screw up with the holidays... re-releasing a bigger hard drive at the same price does not evoke some "omg it's cheaper than it should be" mentality in rational consumers.... Sony should have realized that they could have handled keeping 20 gig hard drives in their systems... or sticking 1 gig flash drives with their systems and dropping the price another 50 or 75$ and probably done better.

I'm not disappointed with the system, because I own one. If I were trying to buy one, I would be disappointed... because it costs too much cash.

#102 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:06 AM

I'll buy one when it hits $200. Maybe by then it'll have some games worth playing.

#103 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:12 AM

I'll buy one when it hits $200. Maybe by then i'll have some money saved up from my paper route and mowing lawns.

Fixed for you.

#104 CounterSeal

CounterSeal

Seize the day.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:16 AM

The PS3 used to be my main system, or at least I tried to maintain that mentality. Now, I just admit the reality and I seem to play on my 360 more than my PS3. If asked a few months ago, I would have said that FF13 is the PS3's savior, that's no longer the case.
"Roses are red, Violets are blue. All my base, are belong to you."
http://counterseal.deviantart.com
Posted Image
Posted Image

#105 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:28 AM

The PS3 is boring.

You're exactly right. And that's the problem.
Home? Boring.
Advertising? Boring.
2009 upcoming releases? Boring - because it's pretty much all multiplatform. (Except Uncharted)

Valkyria Chronicles should have lit up the sales charts like a house on fire, seeing as it's one of the few RPGs for PS3 - according to PS3Fanboy however, sales are abysmal.

Sony is going to see that and release more and more generic shooters.

Most of the stuff I'm looking forward to next year for PS3 is multiplatform, and by the time it comes out, I'll probably have a 360 and just get stuff like Brutal Legend and Ghostbusters for 360 instead.

Even the Wii has more interesting 3rd party titles than the PS3 next year, which is embarrassing.

Unfortunately, the Sony that released games like Incredible Crisis and Mister Mosquito is gone, and the PS3 is this gen's Gamecube.

When the most exciting thing on a Sony console in 2008 is a PS2 game, there's a problem.

#106 HeadRusch

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:36 AM

PS3 a sinking ship? Worldwide, the PS3 is on pace or outsold the 360 at the same 2 year point in its life. Something like 17.5m 360s sold worldwide vs 18m ps3 sold worldwide at the 2 year life point. One costs double the other. Which is in trouble again?

Sony. The 360 was sold as a gaming machine, and continues to be sold...as a gaming machine. The PS3's first 2 year sales are going to be HEAVILY skewed to its performance as a BluRay player, which kept it alive the first 2 years. Now that BD players are less than $200, and Sony hasn't exactly built up a stable of killer apps for the system, its sales will start to decline...particularly now that its primary competition is as much as $200 cheaper.

As a BD player it did great....as a game machine its "worse than the 360" in most cases and only better in a few, its list of exclusives is weak...all the major games are ported to both systems with MGS being the one exception so far.

KZ2 will sell some systems but then expect the drought to continue.

Stop looking at NA numbers only. Game companys sell games worldwide, and the PS3 is a bread winner for third partys. Quality of first party games is no comparison, sonys first party games blow away the 360 first party games. Its not even a comparison.

Since you don't list any, its hard to compare.

Also, home is kinda silly right now. The game launching has not hit yet, which is its major draw.

So its biggest draw is the ability to launch games. w o w

However, ive never played anything like it. I do load it up, check out what is showing in the theater, and sometimes i go to the music place and talk about how much i like tacos while doing the running man. I know its silly, but its a fun change of pace and you meet new people all the time. This is not possible on any other console in the world.

It was fun for about 10 minutes, then you stop and go "What the Fuck am I doing this for?" and move on to something more productive or entertaining....must be great for shut-ins or kids with lots of free time, tho...assuming they haven't yet figured out how to do all that crap on the PC already.

Oh well at least Sony is getting REALLY good at microtransactions!

"Home? we got microtransactions. PSN? Its all Microtransactions. Hell do you own GT5P? Yeah? Want to watch some videos of cars? Yeah?? Microtransactions. Hey want to play that cool new demo? You do? Buy QORE...Microtransactions".

#107 Gourd

Gourd

Tofu Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:37 AM

I bought a 60gig last summer when they first decided to get rid of the SKU and haven't regretted it. It allowed me to get rid of my PS2 and still play catch up with my backlog and play amazing games like Persona 3 and Persona 4.

I had a buddy NOT buy a PS3 becuase he couldnt find one in the stores that would play his PS2 collection...he just didn't understand (not that saavy of a gamer). All the rest of my friends (except two) bought a 360 becuase of the price point (these are all mid-late 20's gamers with jobs and HDTVs).

I love my PS3, but I have to admit they screwed themselves with the price point and PS2 backwards compatibility if my experiences tell me anything.

Exactly my experience. I /love/ my PS3, but I bought a 60 gig unit when they were phasing them out. Without the PS2 backwards compatibility, I probably would never have bought one.

My little brother won't buy a PS3 now because the only ones available are software BC only.
SUPER EXPLOSIVE POWER SUIT Bangai-O!!!

#108 alongx

alongx

Soy loco por el Cornball

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:45 AM

Almost no one will get the success again. While Wii has done well, I doubt it will be PS2 successful in the end.

I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. For months now, Wii has outpaced the PS2 at comparable life cycle points. Wii is on pace to beat the PS2's record-shattering lifetime sales, though it's no guarantee that there will be as long a tail.
My gaming tally:

Posted Image

#109 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

It's just Sony's fault for being retarded this holiday. Expensive system + no bundles ($500 + a year old game doesn't count) = cheap systems will outsell you.

I really think that price is the only reason Sony is "behind". It's not the games online, etc. It's that high price point.

#110 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:18 AM

Fixed for you.

lol
Posted Image

#111 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

I like my PS3, I bought the MGS4 bundle because I'm a MGS fanboy. So I bought it fully intending on using it for PS3 exclusives, as well as for its multimedia functionality, and in that regard it has been fantastic.

I'll admit I use it more for music and videos than for games, but of the exclusives I have played I have really enjoyed and feel the price was worth it.

#112 Ecofreak

Ecofreak

That's Ah Bingo!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:25 AM

I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. For months now, Wii has outpaced the PS2 at comparable life cycle points. Wii is on pace to beat the PS2's record-shattering lifetime sales, though it's no guarantee that there will be as long a tail.

The Wii will probably beat out the PS2 in pure hardware sales, but I believe that the amount of software sold on the Wii will be significantly below that of the PS2.

I'm particularly curious what the game attach rate is for these two systems at this respective moment in time. The PS2 would probably be ahead, if I'm not mistaken. Just a hunch.
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#113 dyeknom

dyeknom

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:33 AM

KZ2 will sell some systems but then expect the drought to continue.

I find it weird everybody is pinning hopes of Killzone 2 as being the holy grail for ps3 next year. I figured most people liked God of War better.

#114 mwynn

mwynn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:37 AM

You're exactly right. And that's the problem.
Home? Boring.
Advertising? Boring.
2009 upcoming releases? Boring - because it's pretty much all multiplatform. (Except Uncharted)

White Knight Chronicles
God of War III
Heavy Rain
InFamous
Yakuza 3
killzone 2
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

These are multiplatform games?

#115 pochaccoheaven

pochaccoheaven

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

The Wii will probably beat out the PS2 in pure hardware sales, but I believe that the amount of software sold on the Wii will be significantly below that of the PS2.

I'm particularly curious what the game attach rate is for these two systems at this respective moment in time. The PS2 would probably be ahead, if I'm not mistaken. Just a hunch.

no doubt it will be ahead because the games were easier to come up with as you didn't have to do some creative thinking as compared to the wii. but then again non of the developers do know what they're doing for the wii which is why their having some problems.

i wouldn't worry so much for the ps3. it's brother will join it soon. the 360 people are talking about a new 360 already? even developers talk as though the 360 has become obsolete. if ms did released a new 360 in the next year or so, i wouldn't worry for the ps3. ms would have to lose so much money to provide a 360 price point and there would be no way they would do that.

also, no doubt that the wii will outsell the ps2 but also that the wii provided profits while selling all of them as compared to sony who had to wait so long to obtain a profit.

#116 pochaccoheaven

pochaccoheaven

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

White Knight Chronicles
God of War III
Heavy Rain
InFamous
Yakuza 3
killzone 2
Final Fantasy Versus XIII

These are multiplatform games?

it's a sony first party game so it's not multiplatform release. it may be boring because it's the same game as before with better graphics, new weapons, moves, etc....

there is so much guitar hero, rock band and ddr games out there. when you play these new games after having to play all those previous iterations of them, do you find them more fun and exciting or have they became stale and uninteresting?

#117 mwynn

mwynn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:47 AM

it's a sony first party game so it's not multiplatform release. it may be boring because it's the same game as before with better graphics, new weapons, moves, etc....

there is so much guitar hero, rock band and ddr games out there. when you play these new games after having to play all those previous iterations of them, do you find them more fun and exciting or have they became stale and uninteresting?

I don't play the guitar games.

I do enjoy sports games which are pretty much the same every year.
I liked all of the God of War games, so I am sure i will like 3.

#118 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:48 AM

Just wait for _____, than you'll see.

Uncharted
MGS4
LBP
Resistance 2

Killzone 2

#119 mwynn

mwynn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:50 AM

Just wait for _____, than you'll see.

Uncharted
MGS4
LBP
Resistance 2

Killzone 2

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

#120 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:53 AM

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Sorry, I should have specified it was in regards to this:

http://www.cheapassg...7&postcount=113