Flip Successes and Flip Flops

• Please log in to reply
1068 replies to this topic

#121 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

i got a copy of gripshift with a broken umd case that wont load from GS. Not sure if it is worth the trouble to fix it and sell it

not really unless you want to go into trouble of buying a replacement case for it. indie stores sometimes might have them. 2 or 3 bucks. they have them on ebay but it'll take a week to get.

#122 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

I think it's the difference between shipping internationally or not. I've had a few BINs go for $49 in the U.S. though.

i sold mine to someone from spain. you should list it to accept international bidders because you get to sell it for more. im going out tonight to find some more.. but out of 9 stores i went to the other night, i was only able to find 1. for those who are interested, be prepared to drive from store to store :)

#123 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

i sold mine to someone from spain. you should list it to accept international bidders because you get to sell it for more. im going out tonight to find some more.. but out of 9 stores i went to the other night, i was only able to find 1. for those who are interested, be prepared to drive from store to store :)

I would, but I don't feel like dealing with international buys...I'm happy with the one I sold internationally. :)

#124 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

not really unless you want to go into trouble of buying a replacement case for it. indie stores sometimes might have them. 2 or 3 bucks. they have them on ebay but it'll take a week to get.

are you saying I should just return it to GS or sell it as it?

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#125 Foxhoundx

Foxhoundx

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

Back when the black Xbox 360 controllers came out, Wal-Mart had them clearanced out for 10.00 and 15.00 for the plug and play ones. I bought 18 of the regular and 12 of the plug and plays. I looked pretty funny with a buggy full of controllers! I kept 3 and and sold the rest for $45+ on ebay. I was baffled at the time I saw them and even asked why there were so cheap. Cashier said " Since they are not on our system yet, they get clearanced."
Posted Image

#126 SlammedNiss

SlammedNiss

Mine hits the ground!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:55 AM

Checked my local GS and Hasting's today after work and came up empty handed. I'll try a few pawn shops this weekend though.

#127 fsecreast

fsecreast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:48 AM

Just curious to know, but what do you guys say to these employees when you come in with all these new games and want to return them for store credit with no receipt? Do you tell them they were gifts? Or do you just tell them exactly what you're doing? They allow this?

#128 io

io

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:39 AM

Just curious to know, but what do you guys say to these employees when you come in with all these new games and want to return them for store credit with no receipt? Do you tell them they were gifts? Or do you just tell them exactly what you're doing? They allow this?

I don't think anyone here is talking about returning things to stores with no receipts for store credit. Where did that come from?

If that is your definition of flipping then it is not the one generally used on CAG. Usually it means buying games from one place and trading them in (as used games) at another. Of course no receipt (or explanation) is required for that. Others seem to define it as buying things and selling them on eBay. I guess "flipping" can just mean quick turnover for profit, whether in trade credit or cash. However, it does NOT mean buying things at one store cheap and returning to another (as new) without a receipt in the hopes of getting more cash/store credit there. The term for that is "return fraud" ;).

#129 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

I'm not really a flipper, I don't have a lot of luck finding mass amounts of clearance games to sell back somewhere at a decent gain, any more at least.

Back in the day though, my best flips were before Gamerush got smarter and they had a lot of promotions of trading in 2 games and getting a new game for 10 bucks. At the start they didn't have restrictions on old sports games and the really old PS2 titles, so... that led to hundreds of credit after spending less than about 70 total with the older, cheaper titles at GS trading for nearly triple at GR. I remember getting so many new games and pre-orders during this time due to this, it's ridiculous to imagine that they didn't realize their mistakes with this much sooner than they did.

Back around that time (2005 or so) GS had Drake selling for 7 bucks or so, while it traded for 22 at GR, so I probably horded a bit too much Drake of the 99 Dragons for many lifetimes and got a couple new games from built-up Drake credit.

This was all done over a few stores, so it wasn't just one store to another.

More recently at TRU during their clearances, I picked up some copies of Far Cry and Hitman to trade in to GS, it wasn't a big investment nor a big payoff, but this was during a trade 2 get a bonus 10, so I did that a couple times and it helped pay for some other stuff.

#130 fsecreast

fsecreast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

I don't think anyone here is talking about returning things to stores with no receipts for store credit. Where did that come from?

If that is your definition of flipping then it is not the one generally used on CAG. Usually it means buying games from one place and trading them in (as used games) at another. Of course no receipt (or explanation) is required for that. Others seem to define it as buying things and selling them on eBay. I guess "flipping" can just mean quick turnover for profit, whether in trade credit or cash. However, it does NOT mean buying things at one store cheap and returning to another (as new) without a receipt in the hopes of getting more cash/store credit there. The term for that is "return fraud" ;).

Sorry I was referring to some of the earlier posts. I believe there was one on the first page about someone buying a bunch of games from GS then walking two stores down to Fryes and returning them for store credit. Didn't think he meant trading them in.

#131 joe50000

joe50000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:11 AM

Maybe other CAGers in California have better luck than me but my area is notoriously bad for flipping. Gamestops here are flooded with so many games they usually just stop taking them in or they don't give enough trade in credit to make it worthwhile.

My best deals though were when target had its raincheck policy. I bought hundreds of games for $1-5.

#132 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:37 AM

Maybe other CAGers in California have better luck than me but my area is notoriously bad for flipping. Gamestops here are flooded with so many games they usually just stop taking them in or they don't give enough trade in credit to make it worthwhile.

i think this had become a bigger issue now with gamestop. since they take every game that has a barcode (exceptions are Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training), they have so many of the same games and by the time youre ready to flip or trade in your copy, the value of it is not even half of what they would sell them for.

the worse is FYE. most of the time, older games are bought for a mere $1. and then they resell them for $9.99. pretty good profit there. they even have the .01 trade in values.

#133 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

Best for me was the Gamecube component cables at the Nintendo World Store. They only let you buy two at a time, and I didn't get to go every day so I only managed to get around 7 or 8. They were $35 each and they sold for $80 on ebay.

Another was when the 360 just came out. I was on the BB RZ list and got one a week after it came out. Some lady paid $200 over retail to give it to her 9 year old son for Christmas. I felt a little bad after that one.

fs_overall.png

#134 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

Best for me was the Gamecube component cables at the Nintendo World Store. They only let you buy two at a time, and I didn't get to go every day so I only managed to get around 7 or 8. They were $35 each and they sold for $80 on ebay. .

I ordered a Wii component cable for $30 or whatever it was and then turned around and sold in for $150 on ebay. Then i went back to nintendo.com and ordered another for myself and waited the week or so for the backorder to fulfill - then kept for myself. Gotta love impatient people.

#135 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

Another one for me was finding the Mario Mix Dance Dance Revolutions new with pad for $50. I must have bought 10 of them from Targets and TRU. I flipped each one for around $150 each around Christmas on ebay two years ago. Paid for my Christmas that year.

#136 Run L1ke H3LL

Run L1ke H3LL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

Speaking of Wavebirds. I have a set of 2 listed on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...ategory0=&fvi=1
Xbox Live Gamertag- Run L1ke H3LL
My Trade List:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=210133

#137 darkslime

darkslime

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

i got a copy of gripshift with a broken umd case that wont load from GS. Not sure if it is worth the trouble to fix it and sell it

ask GS if they have any extra demos, then just open the top of it with your fingernail and switch the discs.

I went to 4 GS today and was only able to find 1 gripshift. I found 7 wii sports though. ^_^

#138 crzyjoeguy

crzyjoeguy

King of Beers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

during the black friday deals i got 2 copies of golden axe beast rider for 10 bucks a piece, sold them to gamestop for $52 towards re5

#139 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:27 AM

i think this had become a bigger issue now with gamestop. since they take every game that has a barcode (exceptions are Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training), they have so many of the same games and by the time youre ready to flip or trade in your copy, the value of it is not even half of what they would sell them for.

the worse is FYE. most of the time, older games are bought for a mere $1. and then they resell them for $9.99. pretty good profit there. they even have the .01 trade in values.

The penny TIV is supposed to be a marker(much like the penny price for guides n other stuff at stores)that they have too many or the item is too old and that they shouldn't be taking it in for the penny price.

It's not really supposed to be a trade value.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#140 gomikeoh

gomikeoh

I like turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

So this past month (holiday season) I have sold about 30 wii sports and 10 gripshifts.

I bought the wii sports for 10 bucks at gamestop and made about 30 dollar profit off each
Then I bought 10 gripshifts for about 70 bucks (7 each) and I just sold my last one on ebay. Average gripshift sold for about 55 dollars....

55X10= 550
30X 30 = 900
7 ps2 network adapters for 13 bucks each after 20% accesories coupon - sold on ebay for 30 bucks profit average so about 200 overall...

total ~1650

in pure profit just for a months work.

Easiest money I have ever made.

#141 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:46 AM

So this past month (holiday season) I have sold about 30 wii sports and 10 gripshifts.

I bought the wii sports for 10 bucks at gamestop and made about 30 dollar profit off each
Then I bought 10 gripshifts for about 70 bucks (7 each) and I just sold my last one on ebay. Average gripshift sold for about 55 dollars....

55X10= 550
30X 30 = 900
7 ps2 network adapters for 13 bucks each after 20% accesories coupon - sold on ebay for 30 bucks profit average so about 200 overall...

total ~1650

Thats awesome. I need to become this aggressive in flipping again.

#142 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

I sold my five Gripshifts. I had lowered the price to 44.99 because it looked like the market was saturated. Then their vlaues rose again and a flipper (I assume since he bought them all) snagged them all. I'm a little pissed I wasn't paying more attention, but oh well. I'll ship these out and probably buy a few more.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#143 SlammedNiss

SlammedNiss

Mine hits the ground!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:33 AM

Went to a couple of pawn shops this afternoon in search of more gripshifts. They had absolutely zero PSP games. WTF? My 2 that I got from CDTradepost end on ebay tomorrow. Some jerkoff sent me a message yesterday saying

"WOW... way to rip people off when its a hot item, Bravo"

I guess somebody is bitter they can't find their own to flip.

Had another guy offer me $80 for the pair I already have, and I politely turned him down.

#144 Arakias

Arakias

Inferior Potassium

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

55X10= 550
30X 30 = 900

total ~1650

for pure profit, i think you ought to subtract the cost of the games and the cost of ebay fees and shipping etc to calculate that. otherwise you just figured out your gross cash income. at least you only indicate the network adapters as earning you profit and not the others.

#145 io

io

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

I sold my five Gripshifts. I had lowered the price to 44.99 because it looked like the market was saturated. Then their vlaues rose again and a flipper (I assume since he bought them all) snagged them all. I'm a little pissed I wasn't paying more attention, but oh well. I'll ship these out and probably buy a few more.

Yeah, I got hosed on mine as one on the weekend as one ended at just $39. I nearly always do BIN but went with regular auctions after hearing how well some people here did with them - teaches me ;). Then another ended at $40 Tuesday and another at $39 Wednesday. I just figured that was the going rate now (still good compared to the GS cost since these are disc-only copies). But then I decided to check completed auctions and was pretty pissed because very low feedback sellers with vague descriptions and no picture sold theirs for $70-$80 at exactly the same time as my last one. WTF!? I have TONS of feedback - all positive and near 5.0 DSRs across the board. These jackasses had like 21 feedback and their descriptions said things like "may or may not come with a manual". Mine had an actual picture and detailed description of the condition :bomb:.

Oh well. At least I averted compounding my mistake. The last guy who won at $39 wanted more than 1 and I almost sold him my last one because I thought I did pretty well at first. Then I checked and decided against that - listed it for tomorrow and NOW it is already up over $50 with several hours left. I don't know what the hell the difference is unless the value is jumping back up again (this thing is all over the place!). I also had a new one up with a BIN of $75 and that sold all of a sudden. And I found another new one last night too, so I still have that. Struck out getting the one from GS I went out to get though - store locator still shows it there but they said no... And the good news on one of my $39 copies is that I have yet to hear from the buyer after 3 days - hopefully it stays that way and I can relist it!

I did make one minor tweak to my description but I can't believe this would make a difference - if it does buyers are idiots because they could get cheaper ones by not messing with the stupid ULUS thing. But I had my others listed as ULUS-10040 in the subtitle field (which should be found during searches anyway). I noticed those really high ones had ULUS10040 (no dash) listed in the main title. So I made that change - we'll see how it goes. Really stupid as all you need to search on is "gripshift psp" and you'll find all you can handle! Though my current one is now higher than my last ones finished, the views number isn't all that high, so I doubt the title change made a difference. I think the value is just back up again and it was just dumb luck (and dumb buyers) that made my others go so low.

#146 io

io

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

I guess somebody is bitter they can't find their own to flip.

Considering what these are used for I have absolutely no problem making a profit on them ;).

#147 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

Yea it was very strange it drop to the $30 range and now back up. Now I just need to figure out how to fix my broken copy.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#148 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Went to a couple of pawn shops this afternoon in search of more gripshifts. They had absolutely zero PSP games. WTF? My 2 that I got from CDTradepost end on ebay tomorrow. Some jerkoff sent me a message yesterday saying I guess somebody is bitter they can't find their own to flip.

Had another guy offer me $80 for the pair I already have, and I politely turned him down.

i hate people messaging you on ebay because you wanna make money. fucking jealous bastards. i feel as if these people have nothing better to do than to go on ebay and randomly message people because what they're doing seems to be unethical to themselves.

#149 lukewin

lukewin

UNC Class of '03

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:20 AM

Successes:

-Currently have over $1xxx.xx in GS credit with HWV $3.99 flips, taking advantage of trade 2 Wii games save $30 promo, flipping my own stuff
-Most of the stuff in my TL, PS1-wise was free due to the BB/GR initial deal of trade 2, get any game for $5/$10, and back and forth with GS (I have 2 Valkyrie Profile's (had 3, but sold 1 to a friend's brother for $30 (cost at the time)), had 2 Intelligent Qubes (sold 1 on CAG), have 3 Tactics Ogre, had 2 of each Bust a Groove (but a good friend used to like it back in the day, so I gave him 1 of each))
-Warioware Smooth Moves (Wii), could buy for $28 new at BB, sell for $65 easy on ebay, or used at GS during B2G1 avg $25, sold for $50
-Kororinpa (Wii) back at $16.96 at CC or $20 at Wal-Mart, flipped for $40, although I should've waited, b/c now they go for $70, I know b/c I did hold onto one, and sold it for that much
-Kororinpa (Wii), used at GS, $27, sold for $60, picked up another that I'm gonna list in a few days
-Excite Truck (Wii), $16.96 clearance at CC, $40 on ebay this past Christmas
-Metal Slug Anthology (Wii), $16.96 clearance at CC, $30 on ebay this past Christmas
-Both Trauma Center's (Wii), one @ $16.96 CC, one @ $9.99 amazon, bundled for $70 this past Christmas
-Lego Batman (PS2), $4 HWV, $24 on ebay
-4 Wavebirds (probably $18 a pop at GS used) - $130 this past Christmas on ebay
-2 Wavebirds " " - $55 a couple days ago

Flops:
-Losing a bunch of money on things where the bottom's fallen out, stuff still on my TL
(Godzilla Save the Earth (PS2), Guilty Gear X2 (PS2), Guitar Hero (PS2), Guitar Hero II (PS2), Okami (PS2), Way of the Samurai 2 (PS2), Monster Hunter Freedom (PSP), Hori Dead or Alive 4 Arcade sticks (360, back when these were the only sticks on the 360, sold a couple for $80+))
-A bunch of GC games that I ended up trading in b/c the bottom fell out, mainly first party stuff
-Not selling the Pikmin games when they were going for $100+ (I think) when Super Smash Bros Brawl first hit
-Currently have a sealed Game Boy Player for the Gamecube that I paid $60 for at Sears, should've unloaded that a long time ago, did get $1xx.xx for the one I got at KMart for $5 though
-Currently have a DDR Mario Mix bundle, used, but still. Did flip at least 6 of those a few Christmases ago, paid $50, sold for $120 I think
-Bought 2 Chrome Les Paul faceplates for $3.74 (75% off at a closing HWV)
Trade List, Getting rid of a bunch of PS1 RGPs, will take Amazon, Best Buy or Gamestop credit as payment
http://www.cheapassg...d.php?p=9026552

#150 goomba478

goomba478

Canada's Amerifriend ^_^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:23 AM

Wow guys, this thread is really inspiring. I just spent about an hour (no lie) reading every entry in the 8 pages here word-for-word. Good to see some good successes. I have to say I've flipped a good deal in the past, but my problem is I amass too many games until they're generally worthless (I never know how to long to hold onto things and when I do sell them they always seem to go way up months later after I've sold them...doh!).

I will definitely have to look into Gripshift though. None around here, but some not too too far away. May be worth the drive. Hmmm

Question: When you guys walk into a Gamestop and buy every copy of Wii Sports, what on earth do you tell them? Surely they question this as sort of suspicious...