CAGcast #144: Mushroom Clouded Minds

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#31 n11n12

n11n12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

Is it just me or is the show funnier when Wombat is hyped-up and CheapyD is at a complete loss?

#32 Chatetris

Chatetris

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

LOL is when Wombat said. I got Mushroom men in my Pants.

#33 Zero_Kirby

Zero_Kirby

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

Woot
Posted Image

#34 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

Yes!

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#35 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

My friend put me on to these and I really enjoy them. Can't wait for next week.

#36 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

thanks for the great show guys.

#37 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:50 AM

Best xmas gift ever, a new episode of CAG to listen to while I wait till tommorow morning, HAPPY HOLIDAYS GUYS!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:33 AM

Very good episode one of my favourites so far actually, the three of you worked great and it had me laughing out loud at various occasions most notably; mushroom man, shipwreck in Blockbuster and many others.

Keep up the good work , hopefully get Mrs. Shipwreck on the show next time for a super CAG year around off.

#39 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

(In my sleepless christmas night, I did not want to hear what I heard!)

Little Big Planet is no fun? How... what!? That's like saying Youtube is no fun. Of course it isn't, you can go through and watch all the featured videos you want, but until you put some actual involvement into it you wont get anything out of it; and I'm not just talking about creating levels. I can already see it now, Mrs and Mr shipwreck running through the single player (sackboy's still the default brown) never figured out how to place a sticker or use the emotion controls. Just two sad little brown sacks quietly walking through the levels on their black and white tv and muted volume.

It's the whole power of putting some enjoyment into it, trying new things, expressing yourself and having fun with it; not taking it TO DAMN SERIOUS. (LBP is not a hand holding game...) It's like sex, ya you can lay on your back while she sits tired on top of you. But you will have much more fun if you put some extra effort into it and try new things (which I am sure CheapyD likes to do!)

Maybe it's not the games fault, maybes it's the lack of enjoyment you exert into the game!

But, I am bias. Little Big Planet is my favorite game... of all time. Seriously.

AND I am sorry, I hate being a crazed/rabid fanboy; but those comments made me very bummed that you guys could not see what a great game it really is.

Now if you'll excuse me I have my 3:00am "appointment" with Media Molecule.

Same here. I don't create anything but the game has limitless content. You can check the top levels every week and find another fun level to play in. Also when you add multi-player to the mix it becomes 10x more enjoyable. You do not need to create levels to have fun in the game.

Honestly though unless you guys change your mind about LBP don't ever mention it again.

Seriously, it's one thing not liking a game. It's another thing being annoyed by the immense hype. But bashing it to DEATH repeatedly on at least 3 shows is just unnecessary... it makes me gag when you discuss how terrible LBP is right after discussing what a gem the new Banjo is (oh btw, you have to make things in that game...) and how Saints Row 2 has perfected the essence of fun and has achieve supreme game invincibility.

Are you guys actively trying to ruin peoples christmas'? Little johnny is going to be pissed when he opens up Saints Row 2 and Sonic Unleashed because his daddy listens to the cagcast way to much. He may never forgive Santa again...

Please voice your opinions, but we got that you guys don't like LBP. And I love the cagcast I've been listening since the mere beginning, I don't want to have to stop now over something stupid... please?

Edited by DarkNessBear, 27 December 2008 - 11:15 PM.

360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#40 konatachan

konatachan

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:58 PM

Great show Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck

I must say that talk about Cheapy spending to much on headphones etc.

That really got me thinking, don't get me wrong I love CAG and the show but Cheapy seems to waste allot of money on shit he doesn't really need.

A netbook computer and iphone, Portable consoles. Is it really true that Cheapy doesn't leave the apartment? I think he should do a video or something showing off or around tokyo or atleast around his general area as most people (myself included) are fastignated by Japan and Japanese Culture.
Posted Image

#41 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

that wolverine movie is gonna suck. they chose the wrong guy for sabretooth , there are way too many characters in the film ala batman and robin and most of these movies tend to suck anyway. i want to see a competent deadpool movie or a really gory horror driven Nightstalkers movie franchise. the guy that should have been sabretooth is clancy brown. hes kinda old but i know he could do him justice.

#42 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hey

I just wanted to say great show (it was very good Christmas Eve listening material). I really liked You, Wombat and Shipwreck doing a show together and thought why don't you did this more often? Like every month or so the three of you (and maybe even Mrs. Shipwreck) get together and have a super CAG team show? I think it'll be really nice to have the whole CAG team together reflecting on the month and the Inevitable bashing of games that everyone else seems to like.

Just a thought, thanks and keep up the good work

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#43 Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Wombat must have taken a shot of "Sextonic" before the show because he was unusually feisty in this episode. For the first time, he almost appeared to control the flow of the show more than Cheapy. Do I sense a realignment in the implicit dominance hierarchy underlying their relationship? Will Wombat continue to exert his influence in a more aggressive fashin? Will Cheapy push back with some unnecessarily harsh comments about Wombat's appearance, job, etc., as ihe is prone to do from time to time? I can't wait to stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!

#44 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Ship was quiet...you guys need to keep your focus off your mushrooms and stick to the videogames, then maybe Ship will be engaged in the convo, LOL!
[cp][/cp]

#45 padumavati

padumavati

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for answering my question, guys. :) But for future reference, I'm a chick. :p

As for the absolute failure of Home, after listening to the podcast I attempted to check it out, since I had installed it but not even looked at it yet. Before I could, I had to download some more software. Great. Then when that was done, it froze at the "This accesses the harddrive" screen and I had to quit out of it. It still didn't work after restarting the console. Awesome.

#46 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Good show, good to see that Team Xbox (Ship, Cheapy, and Wombat) have reformed to make another awesome CAGcast.

Womat: I have to agree with your comments regarding system selling games; LBP as a new IP (or any good new IP) could have been more of a system seller, however you have to expose people to it. When the Wii was introduced, Wii Sports was the system selling game that really sold the system. When you saw the Wii, you saw Wii sports it was the flagship game (and it was a new IP). LBP; only people who follow video games knew about it. LBP definitely did NOT get enought exposure, and enough marketing to show what its about.

Resistance 2 - Ship stop judging this game from the Beta, I couldn't get into the Beta myself, but the multiplayer aspect of R2 is very good and very addicting. The single player portion is very good as well. Wombat, Cheapy have any of you guys given R2 a play?!

Little big Planet - Oh how loved this game used to be on the Cagcast, now its like the blacksheep of the Show. If the 360 had a game that was similar to LBP, you guys would be all over it. Ship, I listen to your show, and I listen to you comment about god awful games, (no, NOT games) - shovelware that you've played through and enjoyed, yet you can't get any type of enjoyment out of Little Big Planet?! You just bought Timeshift? - I'm assuming that you think you're going to get some sort of enjoyment out of that little gem as well. I know you guys didn't like the game, (except Wombat) but at least before putting the game on the bottom of the shelf, try out some of the great user created levels. The motivation of the game is to experience the imagination of others. You go through the single player game to unlock stuff, but the single player portion of the game is a intoduction leading you to the main portion of the game which is the online portion where you play, create and share. The point of LBP is NOT to regurgitate levels from other games, although its fun to reminisce, however its about creating new experiences. You guys run through the game, miss the entire point of the game, and then critize it to kingdom come on the show.
Posted Image

#47 StinkyCheese

StinkyCheese

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

http://www.artforrob...eHoff_Final.pdf
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=3041#comments"][/URL]

#48 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

Little big Planet - Oh how loved this game used to be on the Cagcast, now its like the blacksheep of the Show. If the 360 had a game that was similar to LBP, you guys would be all over it. Ship, I listen to your show, and I listen to you comment about god awful games, (no, NOT games) - shovelware that you've played through and enjoyed, yet you can't get any type of enjoyment out of Little Big Planet?! You just bought Timeshift? - I'm assuming that you think you're going to get some sort of enjoyment out of that little gem as well. I know you guys didn't like the game, (except Wombat) but at least before putting the game on the bottom of the shelf, try out some of the great user created levels. The motivation of the game is to experience the imagination of others. You go through the single player game to unlock stuff, but the single player portion of the game is a intoduction leading you to the main portion of the game which is the online portion where you play, create and share. The point of LBP is NOT to regurgitate levels from other games, although its fun to reminisce, however its about creating new experiences. You guys run through the game, miss the entire point of the game, and then critize it to kingdom come on the show.

Exacctllyy... respect!

I'm actually surprised Little Big Planet got high scores (although I think it deserves higher) because playing the game like a reviewer could really ruin it; just getting through to the end reviewing it as quickly as possible. It's about how you experience each moment and the different ways on approaching things.
360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#49 ShinAkumA21

ShinAkumA21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

LBP is a great game you guys are just too harsh on it. so many level to go thru, 4 player co-op/sharing stickers/new crazy fun level like everyday

when i want to stop shooting alien and relax and still have fun i put in LBP

#50 Xshinobi

Xshinobi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

A quick question for CheapyD. How are you able to use Netflix when you are not living in the USA?
PC gamer for life!
Posted Image

#51 Astronaut

Astronaut

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

A quick question for CheapyD. How are you able to use Netflix when you are not living in the USA?

You can use it if you have an American account wherever you live, i think.

#52 aknowlesjr

aknowlesjr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:50 AM

Hey cheapy, i'm using the same netbook right now to post this. i heard that you had or were getting one but didn't post anything bout it for the last cagcast. i use the acer aspire one as my primary computer and it is amazing for the cost. i'm glad you like it and found a use for it since you didn't know why you were buying it.
Thanks for the cagcast before next year. i didn't expect one, but you guys rock! Love shipwreck when he joins in and love the ship's podcast too. Keep giving the love to Saints Row 2 as the i've only played the first one and know it is a fun game.
Wombats mushroom joke was only funny b/c you guys were dying from laughing. i saw the joke coming from miles away; i guess since i have mushrooms in my pants too.
Thanks for the show again and i'll listen for my second round. The cagcast is a solid,along with other podcast, when grinding in any RPG. Thanks for the work.
Posted Image

A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself.

I'm haunted every day by regret upon regret and profound shame over what I've become.

#53 Bravelionheart

Bravelionheart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:08 AM

I have to agree with Wombat, to a degree, about the controls in Resident Evil 5. Having to stop and shoot makes the game far more tense than if you can simply run around shooting from the hip. But, I am eternally grateful Capcom finally added strafing to non-combat movement. I was so worried the main character would once again control like a tank.

#54 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for telling me about Saints Row 2, you were the sole reason i bought it and it's really fun, not the perfection you scream about but still fun.
Also, the hate on LittleBigPlanet is fucking annoying by now. And Shipwreck basically cracked the disc in half and took a piss on it because saying it's not a GOOD GAME is plain out wrong. That's not opinion, it's called being WRONG.
Try playing with some friends online and have fun just messing around, getting prize bubbles, playing community levels.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#55 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:31 AM

What's your motivation, for a platformer? While I'd agree that the story isn't amazing or anything like that, but I'm not sure what motivation you'd need to keep playing through each level if you're enjoying it like any other platformer out there. I kept playing it to see what other cool and creative stuff MM came up for each level. Of course MM built their own levels with the exact same toolset that the players get to mess around with, which gives the users an idea of what they can accomplish and it's also because it's such a deep toolset.

I was surprised to hear Shipwreck shitting on the game, bashing reviewers for liking it, and just making the definitive statement that nobody should like LBP. I guess it's not your thing after you seemed to be stroking your game boner for it a week or so before it came out, but the game is definitely not crap. I also don't get why buying the MGS4 level pack, which seems to do a great job of mixing MGS and LBP's humor and charm into the six levels in the pack, means we're part of the problem as far as purchasing DLC is concerned. I'm not hating on you for not liking the game, just displaying confusion over these harsh statements compared to what you usually say about games you do or don't like on CAG Foreplay.

Can't have an M-rated game in a bundle? What about the MGS4 PS3 bundles? I imagine Uncharted was bundled to get people familiar with the game so they have a better chance for the sequel to sell next fall. I've got the feeling this year that there are very, very few system sellers after GTAIV, MGS4, LBP, and others failed to really do anything but make a small blip on the radar while Wii Sports and maybe Wii Fit seem to be doing the things the others can't do for the Wii. Maybe it's that the system itself is only $250 while the Xbox 360 and PS3 do cost a bit more.

I don't think much has to be changed about RE5's controls at the moment, at the very least some simplification of the controls for simple things like slashing your knife and reloading. I do think that not being able to provide a tense atmosphere without needing to make it harder to move around doesn't really make any sense to me.

I think we all know what will be the disappointments and great games that are mentioned next week.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#56 orko60

orko60

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

I kept playing it to see what other cool and creative stuff MM came up for each level. Of course MM built their own levels with the exact same toolset that the players get to mess around with, which gives the users an idea of what they can accomplish and it's also because it's such a deep toolset.

This was also one of my "motivations." After I saw the badass Snake Temple level, and the subsequently more interesting Japan and India themed levels, I was in love with it. I was very surprised to hear Shipwreck say that he thought that MM should have made the levels with some sort of "special" editor. That defeats the purpose of the entire game! What makes LBP special is that EVERYTHING you play in the "single player" portion of the game can be done by you. Whether you care enough to try is beside the point. If you use the newer search functions that have been added, you can see some absolutely brilliant levels being created, some by members of the CAG community. Maybe Cheapy and the others could take a few minutes out of their busy schedules to check out DarknessBear's amazing Dead Space level? They will see that it's not all penis levels (actually, there are no penis levels, as far as I've seen). Definitely play with others, too! Grabbing each other, slapping, chatting while playing, and following each other (while vandalizing each other's pods) is half of the fun of the game!
Posted Image

#57 Chase

Chase

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

There were many funny moments. I dig the three person format. While you two can carry a show with your personalties, a feat 99-percent of podcasts cannot claim, the addition of Shipwreck adds another layer of flavor, like paprika.

#58 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

You do not need to create levels to have fun in the game.

Quoted for emphasis.

Did Shipwreck say reviewers wouldnt rate LBP as high if it hadnt been for the online stuff. Does he realize this is a game built around online play?

I think you guys keep missing the mark on how LBP was meant to be played. Multiplayer. So I'd be happy if you guys would just drop the subject as well.

#59 PhaperPlane

PhaperPlane

A British CAG.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

Great show ;) I Lol'd at your reply to my question! :lol:

#60 Shrapnellistic

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

Eww... Wombat likes glorified cop thrillers with a bad Batman voice and obvious loop-holes
Spoiler
I'm tired of TDK being praised like it was the Godfather of this generation.

Posted Image