Photo
- - - - -

How to make Steam start in offline mode?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:49 AM

I apologize for the noobish question, but I'm looking through the settings right now and I don't see it. I need to make Steam start in offline mode. How do I do this?

Posted Image

#2 Foxhack

Foxhack

Bad at math

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

File - Go Offline. Steam will restart and you'll be in offline mode.

foxhack.jpg

#3 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:54 AM

Will that make it start in offline mode every time I boot up Steam? My connection at school is so shitty that Steam can't even boot up for me to switch it to offline mode. For some reason, instead of doing it automatically, it just won't start.

Posted Image

#4 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

Unplug your ethernet cable/turn off wireless when its starting up.

Probably another say to do it with a command on the shortcut, but that'll do you for now.

edit:
Typed: "Start steam in offline mode" into google and found:

Make a text document and write ForceOfflineMode=Enable and then save as steam.cfg (not steam.cfg.txt) in Steam map.

Then it will enter offline mode everytime you start steam, without the need to start steam online and then enter offline from there.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

Probably another say to do it with a command on the shortcut, but that'll do you for now.

edit:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Posted Image

#6 Richard Longfellow

Richard Longfellow

Mr. Warmth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

edit:

Rockin! I may go back and fiddle with my Half Life Anthology again now that I finally don't have to wait for it to "Steam" every time. That annoyed the piss out of me.
"I renounce Verdukianism!"

#7 combat799

combat799

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

Rockin! I may go back and fiddle with my Half Life Anthology again now that I finally don't have to wait for it to "Steam" every time. That annoyed the piss out of me.

how did u get it to start, i have the game black ps for pc and i try to open it, but when i do go offlne it wont open again and when i unplug the internet it wont work so could u pls help me im a noob too

#8 combat799

combat799

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:50 AM

r u always online cuz i need help

#9 combat799

combat799

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

can u help me too

#10 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Sometimes steam needs to be able to go online to start in offline mode. If steam wants to go online I've found no way to force it to start in offline mode.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#11 Lawyers Guns N Money

Lawyers Guns N Money

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Wow. It baffles me when somebody signs up just to necropost something from over a year ago.... :-s

#12 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Wow. It baffles me when somebody signs up just to necropost something from over a year ago.... :-s

he probably found it on google search for starting steam in offline mode and didn't look at the dates... whats so baffling about that?
Posted Image