Need info on Call of Cthulhu

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I'm thinking about picking this up. I never hear this game discussed, mentioned, or even hinted at. Just looking at pictures and watching videos is giving me the exact same "creepy mysterious village" feeling I got from Resident Evil 4, so naturally, I'm intrigued.

Anybody have anything good/bad to say about it? And what's the deal with these game crippling bugs I keep hearing about?

I played it and finished it a few years ago. Even though I enjoyed it, I have some reservations in recommending it. When it comes to scares and atmosphere, the game is top notch. The game is really hard though and there are some incredibly frustrating moments. Next to Ninja Gaiden, this was one of the hardest games I have ever played for the xbox.

I don't recall any real bugs that ruined the game for me.

[quote name='Xevious']I played it and finished it a few years ago. Even though I enjoyed it, I have some reservations in recommending it. When it comes to scares and atmosphere, the game is top notch. The game is really hard though and there are some incredibly frustrating moments. Next to Ninja Gaiden, this was one of the hardest games I have ever played for the xbox.

I don't recall any real bugs that ruined the game for me.[/quote]

Like "This is a really hard puzzle" frustrating? Or "GOD fuckING DAMMIT THIS IS IMPOSSIBLY DIFFICULT" frustrating?

There was one problem with opening a safe that I had look up the answer on gamefaqs (Don't worry...its not much of a spoiler). There were a couple of scary sequences that you had to do over and over again which can be annoying. To answer your question, its a little bit of both.

The game is nothing like Resident Evil though. Its more of a straight out adventure story.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Xevious']There was one problem with opening a safe that I had look up the answer on gamefaqs (Don't worry...its not much of a spoiler). There were a couple of scary sequences that you had to do over and over again which can be annoying. To answer your question, its a little bit of both.[/quote]

I think I can handle that, and even if I can't, it's like, $12 bucks.

Glad to hear the glitches are uncommon at least. I had heard there are a few that keep you from completing the game.

Alright, I just about died laughing at their reactions when that guy appeared, but at the same time, it scared the shit out of me :rofl:

I keep watching it over and over again and I'm cracking up every time...

If you like Lovecraft and are familiar with his most popular stories, it's worth it. But I played it on the PC and IMO it's just a bad game. They jammed a bunch of different gameplay conventions like stealth, and timing-based action sequences and most of it is terrible. A lot of the puzzles are random trial and error. I remember feeling angry more often than scared.

The storyline is amazing, however, as they wove a bunch of different Lovecraft stories together into a very compelling game path. If you're not into his stuff though just play something else like RE or some of the good SIlent Hills. Or Fatal Frame...or heck even Return to Wolfenstein TOW if you havent already. That game scared me quite often, don't laugh.

Those videos are making me laugh so hard. The events of the game are hilarious enough themselves, but their commentary on top of that is literally making me lol.

[quote name='georox']Game is extremely frustrating many times, but it's the scariest game I've played. Ever.[/quote]

I agree. It was scary. I guess that's why I kept playing it and also I'm a fan of Lovecraft.

Those Youtube videos are hilarious though! I never had a problem closing any doors though.....

I'm not familiar with Lovecraft's work, its the atmosphere and mystery that's intriguing me. I'm so determined to buy this game and figure out what the fuck is up with those villagers.

Also, the mocking way that guy yells "snooping around in here" in the second video is the funniest thing ever.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGI5nV_XObk&NR=1[/media]
hmm only one of the two videos im trying to post is showing up
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OYEqOu2FTU&feature=related[/media]

The little girl whos mommy is locked in the attic
is a moment in the game I will never forget. The whole game is so scary and filled with memorable moments...

I'm pretty sure this was the last game I actually completed on my old Xbox. I thought it was really creepy, and, yeah, a little bit frustrating.

I enjoyed it, though...it's definitely a treat for Lovecraft fans. And I don't recall ever experiencing any gameplay bugs.

Definitely pick it up. It may be a trial and error game here and there, but once you get past something that holds you up for a bit the game will reward you. I havent even read the Lovecraft books, but this game has my attention. I just need to dig it out and go back to it since a part late in the game really frustrated me and made me stop for a bit. I do want to get back to it to finish that part.

As for glitches. Since you've posted so late into last year i'm gonna assume you mean the 360 BC emulation. Yeah there have been reports of some gameplay glitches, but I have yet to experience any that would stop me from completeing the game.

I was just at my Gamestop yesterday looking for it. They had the game, but it was in one of those generic Gamestop cases, so I didn't buy it. I asked the guy behind the counter if they had a case for it around somewhere. He said he'd check, but that they hadn't seen a copy of it in years, so it wasn't likely.

I left without it, but I did manage to snag the last copy of special edition Crysis for $20 bucks ;)

I still have two other Gamestops I can check.

I actually wanted to play this game back when it came out but I was trying to be a cheapass and rent it. Of course blockbuster didn't have it and I don't like gamefly too much.
This would be a nice game to borrow and play via the CAG Lending group down the road...

Three GameStop's and only one had it, and it was used, without a case, and in shitty condition. Looks like I'm going to have to order it online somewhere...

Last time I was at a Gamestop I saw a copy with case and manual. Cant say what the disc condition was as I had no interest in picking it up, as I already had the game. I might be able to go out on the weekend and take another look. I'll pick it up if I see it in exchange for a copy of Serious Sam for xbox if that's acceptable? That's one game I havent seen anywhere near me, and we're talking along the lines of 4 Gamestop stores, 1 EB games, 2 FYEs, and 1 TrU that still has some stock of old xbox games. Odd thing however is I see a lot of copies of Serious Sam 2 for xbox. I just want the first one lol.

Very slow pace, but good reasons, lovely visuals and perfect speech, and scary looking dudes, you will enjoy it. I played the PC version

I finally cracked and just ordered it off of Amazon for $20 (used and without the manual, no less). It's a bit steep, but I figure I'd better jump on this now before GameStop gets rid of it's original Xbox games next month. It'll be impossible to find after that.

^^Getting the manual will be a pain now lol. I have 2 original xbox games I bought from Gamestop without the manual. Normally I'd search ebay, but seeing as ebay doesnt support money order, or check payments, then I got no other alternative now. And those ebay sellers usually have what I'm looking for.

Game arrived today, and I'm liking it so far. Definitely feeling the creepy atmosphere. Although, thanks to those videos, I just can't keep a straight face any time one of the NPCs says "snooping around".

[quote name='Xevious']Cool...Let us know if you get stuck. I will try to help you out (my memory is fuzzy though)[/quote]

Cool, my only question so far is where the hell are my guns? I picked up a pistol and a shotgun, and neither of them are in my inventory...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Cool, my only question so far is where the hell are my guns? I picked up a pistol and a shotgun, and neither of them are in my inventory...[/quote]

On the PC version the menu system was very odd. Keep clicking and switching on all parts of the inventory screen and see what happens. BTW, you've already played the best part of the game...the slow-paced "Shadow over Innsmouth" section was my favorite. Once the action heats up, it gets pretty sloppy, escpecially the "don't be detected or you fail" stealth levels. IMO of course.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']BTW, you've already played the best part of the game...the slow-paced "Shadow over Innsmouth" section was my favorite. Once the action heats up, it gets pretty sloppy, escpecially the "don't be detected or you fail" stealth levels. IMO of course.[/quote]

Yeah, I could kind of tell it was going to go downhill after the tension broke. I'll keep playing, though.

I hate the level I'm at. It's more like a precision thing I have to do in the middle of a lot of water if anyone knows what I mean? lol. Sorry but I dont want to be spoiling anything for the OP since where I am is rather late in the game, and I'm sure my reference belongs to only point in the game so yeah...lol

[quote name='aeroforce325']I hate the level I'm at. It's more like a precision thing I have to do in the middle of a lot of water if anyone knows what I mean? lol. Sorry but I dont want to be spoiling anything for the OP since where I am is rather late in the game, and I'm sure my reference belongs to only point in the game so yeah...lol[/QUOTE]

Use the spoiler tags if you need to.

bread's done
Back