Turtle Beach Headsets, X1s in particular

tcolberg

CAGiversary!
I've been looking for a good deal on Turtle Beach Ear Force X1s for a while, and the best I've seen so far would be getting them from Buy.com's eBay store while using Live cashback. Unfortunately, just as I found the money for the headphones, eBay cashback ended. So, does anyone know of any good deals on X1s or sufficiently discounted X3s? Otherwise, I'll just wait until cashback returns.

If others are interested in having a discussion of deals on other Turtle Beach headsets, go ahead.

I just got a pair of X1's for Christmas from bestbuy for 49.99. I just checked their website, looks like their back up to $59.99. They are awesome. I absolutely love them, the only drawback is all the wires you have being a wired headset but it is definetly worth it to me.

Newegg.com has them for $49.99.

[quote name='westbank1']I just got a pair of X1's for Christmas from bestbuy for 49.99. I just checked their website, looks like their back up to $59.99. They are awesome. I absolutely love them, the only drawback is all the wires you have being a wired headset but it is definetly worth it to me.

Newegg.com has them for $49.99.[/quote]

Yeah, I know the prices from the major online retailers (Newegg, Buy.com, and Amazon are the first three I check). Buy.com had them for $45 last week, but I was holding out for the return of the eBay cashback and I didn't figure that they'd raise the price. :bomb:

When I want to play at night, I usually take my Sennheiser HD280s and overlap them over the 360 wired headset. Uncomfortable, but not so much that I'm willing accept retail pricing on the X1s. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying them though.

As for those Astro headphones, what an outrageous waste of money. If I wanted 5.1 sound, I'd go for the X4s. And I already have Icemats for team games on the PC. The only thing really different about those Astros is that they daisy-chain for in-person team chat. Totally unnecessary.

stootsi.com used to have them on the regular, but they were open box.

I got the X3 from them and it was in great condition, sans box or anything. No real instructions either, so you just sort of had to know what everything did. Course it isn't rocket science so they were up and running in no time.

The X3's were a decent price at the time...I want to say 24 or so shipped....maybe even 27. They had a sale at the time which made me jump, but the X1 was listed as a normal item in their store listing.

Are there any great quality headphones that are universal for all systems?
A nice pricetag would also be good.

[quote name='the4thnobleman']stootsi.com used to have them on the regular, but they were open box.

I got the X3 from them and it was in great condition, sans box or anything. No real instructions either, so you just sort of had to know what everything did. Course it isn't rocket science so they were up and running in no time.

The X3's were a decent price at the time...I want to say 24 or so shipped....maybe even 27. They had a sale at the time which made me jump, but the X1 was listed as a normal item in their store listing.[/quote]

Argh, I remember looking in on the stootsi thread back when the X3s were at like $60 and I didn't check back in. I've been kicking myself for that.

Yea, the X1's were somewhere in the region of 14-20 bucks back then too.....looks like they aren't listed anymore either.

My X3's are running great here. No problems aside from the pop filter sliding off. I took a tighter one from an original XBL headset and stretched it on and its as good if not better than ever.

Crystal clear sound, decent life on AAA batteries, and the ability to control game sound and voice chat individually. Worth it if you can spot a deal on the X3 IMO.

I've been looking for a deal on some 360 headphones for months. I left my parents where I had a powerful 5.1 system that I built over 2 years to using my lcd's stock speakers. Also I live with 3 other guys and I feel bad with my late night gaming noise.

I like the X4's but if they aren't the best thing ever I'll be devastated by their 175 dollar price tag. I may just go ahead and get the X1's for 45 and see if I like their style and maybe I can live with them till I can get my own place.

edit: The reviews of the X1's are scaring me away from ordering.

Sorry Soulreaver, I just hadn't gotten to checking what the prices would be with the coupon. Thanks for posting them. They are definitely worth considering now that everything else in the stores is more expensive. Anyone have an opinion on that "Chat Boost" feature on the X3s? The X3s might be worth considering if they are able to strike a better balance between the chat and in-game volume.

If anyone had a similar question to what I had, I found a thread on the Head-Fi forums involving someone who appears to be someone who works at Turtle Beach. They explained that the X1 and X3 headphones are similar, but that the Chat Boost feature keeps the microphone audio always elevated over the in-game volume. To me, it makes the X1s much more appealing.

Well, mostly identical, accounting for the wireless and the Chat Boost. But still, an extra $40 doesn't quite justify it.

I just read some review that states that the X1 headphones are very much like typical stereo headphones---you can't really hear the direction of enemies.

If thats true, then its a dealbreaker for me. I'm going to probably wait for a deal on the tritton 5.1 headphones

Well, I'm satisfied with stereo sound for headphones. Remember, because of the positioning of headphones, they offer better "imaging" from stereo sound than mere stereo speakers, though they usually aren't as accurate as something coded for 5.1.

I just wish game developers and more audio engineers paid more attention to binaural recordings, but I suppose that would require headphone only audio tracks rather than downmixing 5.1 audio for the two speakers of headphones. Binaural audio blows away Dolby 5.1.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder whether my impression of the Xbox over stereo headphones is affected by whether I plug my Sennheisers into the RCA stereo out on the Xbox or by plugging the headphones into my 5.1 receiver. It may be that my receiver downmixes the 5.1 input for the 2 channel headphone output. Therefore, plugging the X1s into the receiver in a similar way would accomplish what the X4's 5.1 decoding does.

bread's done
Back