Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2030 replies to this topic

#901 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

I'm glad my town doesn't seem to have resellers. In fact, I hardly run across anyone buying or even really looking at games when I go.

I got rained out yesterday, from a street sale. I'm pretty sure it was listed as rain or shine, but usually half the people don't bother and plus it's a mile walk and back. This coming weekend is the local car show, so there's usually a bunch of yardsales nearby.
Posted Image

#902 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

Garage-sale/Thrift KING!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

Thanks, I'll go ysing out then. My brother lives there, and I think he plays MTG tourneys at the collector's box, will probably check that out too. That sucks that there are resellers there.

cool, I may have actualy met your brother then, a friend talked me into playing at the state MTG championship with him last fall and I was talking to the guys from the collectors box there...although seeing so many MTG players in one place kinda made me never want to play again. lol

#903 erehwon

erehwon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:13 AM

Cool, when I tried to hit lower fort wayne I did it like I do decatur, just driving around looking for sales. that makes sense how you do it.

DARKSLIME: I have never hit huntington, I know it has a large gaming comunity so it is probably worth hitting, I will warn you that there are 3-4 resellers from there that post on the local craigslist, but I'm not sure if they garagesale. there is also a local gaming shop to checkout if you want the owner is a huge douch but the store is worth checking out. I thing it's called the collectors box.

Yea, you might not have a lot of luck just driving around here. You need to have an idea of where you're wanting to go. As far as the south side goes, I think the Southwest is probably nicer. The Southeast is a little older.

Pyoobez, it sounds like you are lucky. I think there are resellers here, competition from other yard sale goers, people just taking stuff to mcvans, and maybe just people weren't into games that much in this area. I do sell a little bit of stuff I find, but most goes into my collection. The problem is most of the time I can barely find anything at all compared to some of the other people in this thread.

#904 Dazz

Dazz

All about the Classics

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:16 AM

Clock Tower CIB $5
Posted Image

#905 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:29 AM

Yea, you might not have a lot of luck just driving around here. You need to have an idea of where you're wanting to go. As far as the south side goes, I think the Southwest is probably nicer. The Southeast is a little older.

Pyoobez, it sounds like you are lucky. I think there are resellers here, competition from other yard sale goers, people just taking stuff to mcvans, and maybe just people weren't into games that much in this area. I do sell a little bit of stuff I find, but most goes into my collection. The problem is most of the time I can barely find anything at all compared to some of the other people in this thread.

and competition from mcvans buying stuff at garage sales.

#906 RobMinhas

RobMinhas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:02 AM

i hit up a big community sale this weekend, picked up a pink ds system only j, pokemon platinum, the legend of kagee 2 and the new super mario bros, i also got twilight princess and super smash bros brawl and nfs undercover for the ps 2, only 25 for all

#907 kipz

kipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:20 AM

Finally a haul to be proud of, unfortunately not games though.

http://img198.images...67/img6103j.jpg
http://img265.images...166/img6104.jpg

All the comics for $30
Spoiler

And that was just a small fraction of what he had, he also had a bunch single issues for 25 cents but they were unsorted so it was kind of a blind search

Season 1 of Six Feet Under $2

http://img195.images...71/img6107e.jpg
SNES
Super Advantage controller
Dr.Mario and Tetris
Family Feud
Give N' Go CIB
John Elway's Quarterback for NES
$12

Posted ImagePosted Image

#908 Kuros

Kuros

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:31 AM

Posted Image

Star Control, Ultima 6, Wing Commander 2 and AD&D Secret of the Silver Blades - $7
Sonic Spinball - $2
Darwin - $5
Philosoma, Sonic & Knuckles, Slime World, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and The Ultimate Stuntman - $15
Okami - $4
Nip Tuck season 3 - $5

Not pictured:

Nvidia Geforce 9800gt 512mb - $6 (Currently in use)
Commodore 64 (boxed, no hookups, lots of booklets) and an Atari 800XE - $20
Posted Image

#909 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:22 AM

Nvidia Geforce 9800gt 512mb - $6 (Currently in use)

nice!
Being cheap doesn't mean you have to be a liar and a thief. Have some respect for yourself.

#910 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:21 AM

this past weekend:

Posted Image
Xbox Wireless G Network Adapter w/cable (missing power cord), $2

Posted Image
Turbografx-16 TurboStick, $1

Posted Image
DS Animal Crossing: Wild World, $4

Posted Image
Sonic Foundry Acid Music 2.0 (new & sealed), $1

Posted Image
PS3 Street Fighter IV, $7

Posted Image
CD Mortal Kombat: More Kombat
CD Daft Punk: Homework
CD Bloodhound Gang: Hooray for Boobies
CD The Police: Greatest Hits
CD Armageddon Dildos: Lost
CD Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits (new & sealed)
CD Star Wars: Episode I Official Motion Picture Soundtrack, $3.50 for all

Posted Image
Yet Another Sega Dreamcast (system only -- no cables), $1
DC VMU (x2), $1

Posted Image
DVD Mega 64 Version 1
DVD Lost Boys (new & sealed)
DVD My So-Called Life: The Complete Series
DVD South Park: The Complete 10th Season
DVD Jerry Maguire, $13 for all

Posted Image
PC Oblivion
PC Oblivion: Knights of the Nine expansion (in the same case), $1 for both

Posted Image
RFX MP128P MIDIBuddy (no power supply), $2

Posted Image
BD Baby Mama
BD Traitor, $12 for both

Posted Image
Silver Nintendo GBA SP
GBA Yoshi's Island, $1 for both

Posted Image
Wii Ratatouille (few scratches, plays fine), $2
GC Mario Party 6, FREE

pretty good weekend, value-wise.

my favorite find this weekend was the GBA SP. when i caught sight of it, there were several people between it and myself, and i figured one of them was gonna grab it before i could squeeze in there and lay claim. i didn't know the price yet, and i was secretly hoping that if someone did grab it, the price would be ridiculous and i wouldn't want it anyway (am i the only one that does this?). anyway, after a moment, there were two women standing more or less side-by-side, blocking me from it. the one to my left bent down to rummage in a box, just as the other was turning toward the table with the GBA. in an act of pure desperation, i leaned over as far forward as i could, resting one hand on the edge of the same box the lady was digging in, and just plucked it in my right hand with my fingertips; please note that this unfortunately positioned my face mere milimeters above the hind quarters of the bent-over lady -- should she have stood up, we would've both been in for a rude surprise. as i righted myself, it became clear that the lady to my right was noticing the Game Boy at the precise moment that i grabbed it, and was clearly irritated that 1), i grabbed it first, and 2), that i was willing to wedge myself between her and the other lady in order to get it. all this and i didn't even know the price yet!

i flip it over and find to my pleasure that there is a Yoshi cartridge already inserted; bonus! i turn to the seller, hold it up, and ask how much he wants for it. he seems skeptical and asks what it is, as i'm walking toward him. i flip it open and hold it out for him to see. he says, "oh, the game boy? i don't know, a dollar?" as i'm asking if he has any other games for it (he says they didn't), i immediately open my wallet and hand him a dollar. i say "thanks", and as i'm just starting to walk away, a woman (turned out to be his wife), walks over and says, verbatim, in a low tone (but loud enough so i can hear), "why did you just do that? was that a game boy? just the games for that thing are like twenty to forty bucks!", followed by something to the effect of "well, that's annoying" (or "irritating" -- i don't recall exactly). the guy gives me a helpless look and starts to argue with her, but at this point i can't hear what they're saying. i'm about to leave the sale, but without thinking, i walk over to the lady and say, "i didn't mean to overhear what you were saying, but just so you know, this is the old Game Boy system, and isn't that hot anymore." she says, "really? are you sure?", and i reply, "yeah. the one that everyone wants right now is the DS -- the one that flips up with two screens, and you use 'a pen' on the screen to play." at this she relaxes, and says, "yeeahh.. you're right. well, thank you -- that's better. i thought he (her husband) was being stupid." we all laughed for a second. and i thanked them again and started to leave. the guy follows me real quick, leans in and says, "thanks man -- she was gonna give me s**t about this all day." we both laughed, and i left.
Being cheap doesn't mean you have to be a liar and a thief. Have some respect for yourself.

#911 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

the best part is how you got them to feel better because it was "old" but you could still make much more then $1 reselling it

#912 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

the best part is how you got them to feel better because it was "old" but you could still make much more then $1 reselling it

that's what i thought, too. i mean, what i said was true: the GBA SP is old and not really that sought-after, but at the same time, the guy more or less "gave it away" by selling it for a buck. he lowballed himself!

#913 oscargrouch

oscargrouch

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

Finally had a little bit of luck this last week. After several flea market type yard sales ($18 for fall of the footclan for GB, $25 for Family Guy PS2 -- pass buddy) I happened onto a family yardsale. A guy had a sign that said $2 all GBA games. I picked up Namco Museum and asked if he had anything else. He went into the house and came back with the GBA and it had Pokemon Ruby in it. $5 for the lot including the GBA. Not horrible.

My wife also managed to buy $1500 worth of furniture for $120. She obviously did better than me.

#914 Kuros

Kuros

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:29 AM

Posted Image

Japanese Mega Drive + 17 games for $25

I know what most of the games are, the rest I'll just have to pop in and see. :)

Not pictured:

Luigi's Mansion - $3
Mike Tyson's Punch Out, SMB2 and LoZ - $4
Posted Image

#915 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:00 AM

Japanese Mega Drive + 17 games for $25

I know what most of the games are, the rest I'll just have to pop in and see. :)

Not pictured:

Luigi's Mansion - $3
Mike Tyson's Punch Out, SMB2 and LoZ - $4

ha! i almost bought that, but i'm too dang cheap. congrats though, looks like fun.

#916 Kuros

Kuros

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:13 AM

ha! i almost bought that, but i'm too dang cheap. congrats though, looks like fun.

I figured $8 for the system and $1 per game is a great deal
Posted Image

#917 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:00 AM

I figured $8 for the system and $1 per game is a great deal

oh no, don't get me wrong; if you haven't got any of those titles yet, that price is great. i already have at least five of the games, and more Genesis/MD consoles than i care to admit (over 12). so for me, it would've had to have been almost free for me to jump on it, and i figured i wouldn't talk them down from $30 to $10, ya know? ;)

#918 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

I went out today to check out two that started today. No luck at all, and I even stumbled across a third unadvertised one.

Hopefully tomorrow and Saturday are better.
Posted Image

#919 theGrue

theGrue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

Thursday finds!

Posted Image

Amidar
Football
Surround
Combat
Tennis
Bermuda Triangle
Galaxian
Basketball
Gangster Alley
Total: $3

PS2 Multitap: $2

Tyco Power Plug: $2

Sega Genesis model 2 (system only)
Jurassic Park
Hexen
Sonic Heroes
PS2 Memory Card
2 NES Controllers
Total: $5

Not much of a story behind any of these, the last lot was from a dude who claimed that he once had a near complete NES collection, but sold it all a while ago. The Genesis is gonna need a lot of cleaning, but I should have all the cables, controllers, and games to sell with it from last week's Genesis 3 find.
Posted Image

#920 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

Looks like this weekend will be slim pickings. Only 1 yard sale in the area that even mentions electronics. They say they are cleaning out the kids stuff since they are moving and mention computers, VHS and electronics.

fs_overall.png

#921 Chairman_LMAO

Chairman_LMAO

The Talent

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

The Genesis is gonna need a lot of cleaning, but I should have all the cables, controllers, and games to sell with it from last week's Genesis 3 find.

Genesis 3 cables don't fit the model 2. Trust me, I've tried :bomb:

#922 stikmanrp

stikmanrp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

oh no, don't get me wrong; if you haven't got any of those titles yet, that price is great. i already have at least five of the games, and more Genesis/MD consoles than i care to admit (over 12). so for me, it would've had to have been almost free for me to jump on it, and i figured i wouldn't talk them down from $30 to $10, ya know? ;)

I have to ask, and please don't take this the wrong way, but what are you going to do with 12 of the same console? And it took TWELVE to finally get you to say "no more"?:D
Good things don't end in "eum", then end in "mania"...and "teria" - Homer Simpson

#923 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

I have to ask, and please don't take this the wrong way, but what are you going to do with 12 of the same console? And it took TWELVE to finally get you to say "no more"?:D

haha! no, it's cool. honestly, the first 3 or 4 Genesis systems i bought were from a long while ago, when i had no idea just how "everywhere" they were going to be; i also was eager to own one of each configuration. every one since then has come home because the people getting rid of them were selling everything as a bundle. as in, "if you want these 20-plus games, you gotta buy the system too", which is fine by me as long as the price is low enough (which it invariably is).

and i was being conservative with that "twelve" remark. there's likely to be over twenty lying around between the house and the storage shed. more if i count the X-eye and CDX.

currently my pile of Genesis and Turbografx systems is being rivaled by Dreamcasts of all things. in all honesty, i can't stop buying those. the last one i bought was a dollar -- i just can't turn my back on them!! i've got a stack of six next to me right now, and that's just from this year. why don't people want these things?

oh, and i haven't said, "no more", for the record. if people keep making me buy the system to get the games, this won't ever end. :lol::cry:

#924 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:48 AM

haha! no, it's cool. honestly, the first 3 or 4 Genesis systems i bought were from a long while ago, when i had no idea just how "everywhere" they were going to be; i also was eager to own one of each configuration. every one since then has come home because the people getting rid of them were selling everything as a bundle. as in, "if you want these 20-plus games, you gotta buy the system too", which is fine by me as long as the price is low enough (which it invariably is).

and i was being conservative with that "twelve" remark. there's likely to be over twenty lying around between the house and the storage shed. more if i count the X-eye and CDX.

currently my pile of Genesis and Turbografx systems is being rivaled by Dreamcasts of all things. in all honesty, i can't stop buying those. the last one i bought was a dollar -- i just can't turn my back on them!! i've got a stack of six next to me right now, and that's just from this year. why don't people want these things?

oh, and i haven't said, "no more", for the record. if people keep making me buy the system to get the games, this won't ever end. :lol::cry:

lol, There are so many consoles in my room that I have bought to get the games, but how the heck do you find more than one turbo, in my years of garage saliing I have never found one.

So far this week I found
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
SSB:M
Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime
Backyard baseball 2007
Kirby's Air Ride

total $50, more than I wanted to spend but I talked the guy down from $140!!

I have tomorrow off work and it looks lke there should be some good sales, plus I found a new thrift in my town.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the flea market reseller is in the comunity sale a town over!!

#925 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

I had a few finds today...

23 PS1 games and a game boy game for $4. She said name your price and I said .25 per game, then I CIF $4 for the lot after I picked out what I wanted. Most notable is a near perfect copy of Final Fantasy VII GH. Not bad for 17 cents!

Posted Image

I also got a NES four score multitap FACTORY SEALED for $1

Posted Image

The funny thing is...I remember when these went on clearance at TRU, but I didn't buy one at the time. Those were the days before video games were collectible.
I have more finds, but I will have to snap some pics with better light.

#926 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:17 AM

I'm kicking myself right now for passing on all those copies of Moonwalker.

pitfall_harry219.png

Now playing: :ps4: Madden 15, :ps3: ICO, :ps3: NBA Jam On Fire Edition

#927 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:32 AM

wonder how long the hype will last; i've got at least 3 complete copies kicking around.

#928 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:54 AM

Here is my last find. A Commodore 128 complete in original box with the monitor in the original box as well as a decent amount of games.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On to the games/software...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh and I also got Ultima V. 100% complete w/ coin and Sid Meier's Pirates.

Posted Image

Wanted $5 CIF $2 :bouncy: (for everything)

#929 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:01 AM

never used a 128 but my wife and i both played C64 when we were little. cool find!

#930 Sinnbox

Sinnbox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:02 AM

Here is my last find. A Commodore 128 complete in original box with the monitor in the original box as well as a decent amount of games.

Wanted $5 CIF $2 :bouncy: (for everything)

you know you don't have to pull the find of the weekend out on us this early!!