Who's funeral do you HAVE to go to?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 jlseal

jlseal

ULTIMA RATIO REGUM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

You don't go to funerals for the dead. You go to funerals for the survivors.
Posted Image

#32 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

Amen.

#33 Ender

Ender

Bears, Beets.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:52 AM

Absolutely not, you don't need to go. And how is dying of cancer ever heroic? I don't mean to offend anyone who has lost loved ones to cancer, but sometimes I think we glorify the dead by making their method of death seem spectacular or something. I'm sure I'll regret saying that.
Posted Image

Armed because I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

#34 epobirs

epobirs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:12 AM

Especially the hot friends of the widow showing lots of milky white cleavage in their black outfits.

They're easy.
If I thought I needed to get out in the sunshine I'd play Boktai.

#35 billyrox

billyrox

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

Especially the hot friends of the widow showing lots of milky white cleavage in their black outfits.

They're easy.

wow...just wow... someone should put that in their sig

Edited by billyrox, 11 January 2009 - 08:12 PM.

#36 Stoneage

Stoneage

Don't touch my stuff!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

They're easy.

Yeah, especially since most of them are senior citizens....and family members.
[IMG][IMG]http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8568/mekonsmaskscopylo0.th.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

#37 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:01 AM

What the Fuck man? Jav you shouldn't let this place dick you around like that. Seriously start looking for another firm to work at.

What's next... you have to attend the birthing of the secretaries, cousin's sister's baby?

#38 Eviltude

Eviltude

Steam Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:02 AM

I'm sticking with the general consensus on this one. Unless you are good friends with your boss, it really doesn't seem necessary to go, although you definitely scored some brownie points for showing up. I always thought it was kind of rude to show up to a funeral if you barely knew the person (unless you are close to someone who was a family member). I know that sounds weird, but if you weren't close to someone, why show up to pay your (little) respects, just send flowers or something and call it a day.
Posted Image

#39 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

No you shouldn't go. (Have gone? Is it over? :p) Have you ever met him? If not, no way. If you had met him before, that could be a possibility. But really, what can you say to your boss at a funeral that you can't say at work? Just offer your condolences.

#40 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

OK, I'm bringing this up again... I just got word that an old friend's father died and the services are tomorrow. I haven't seen or spoken to this person in over 15 years including email, etc. but we did go to high school together and we were friends back then. Should I go to the wake/funeral? It would be completely awkward and I only found out about this through a friend of a friend. I'm really bad about making these sorts of judgments - I wouldn't expect him to attend anything of mine ever... this would also mean I have to adjust plans that I have for the weekend in order to go.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#41 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

If this ends up with you posting "I ended up going....." then yes, you should probably go.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#42 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

OK, I'm bringing this up again... I just got word that an old friend's father died and the services are tomorrow. I haven't seen or spoken to this person in over 15 years including email, etc. but we did go to high school together and we were friends back then. Should I go to the wake/funeral? It would be completely awkward and I only found out about this through a friend of a friend. I'm really bad about making these sorts of judgments - I wouldn't expect him to attend anything of mine ever... this would also mean I have to adjust plans that I have for the weekend in order to go.

No.

I only feel a need to go to very close family members and friends funerals. And thankfully I never had much of an extended family so it's just really my parents, a few aunts/uncles (grandparents all long gone), my brother and his kids etc. Still young enough that I've not had any friends die (and lucky they've all avoided accidents etc.).

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#43 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

I don't see anything wrong with going to the wake, at least to tell him that you remember him, and to comfort him in this time of need. When my older brother died, I saw people that I hadn't seen in years, and it was really nice to see them.
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#44 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

I don't see anything wrong with going to the wake, at least to tell him that you remember him, and to comfort him in this time of need. When my older brother died, I saw people that I hadn't seen in years, and it was really nice to see them.

The OP seems to be a bit on the Asperger's side or is trying way too hard to be Larry David. Don't give him good advice like this.

#45 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

we all should go, problem solved!

#46 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

I would go. He was an old hs friend of yours.

#47 TC

TC

Better w/o Kinect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

Posted Image

#48 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

I would go. He was an old hs friend of yours.

But he hasn't seen or spoken to him for 15 years.

Hell I don't know that I'd bother going to the funeral of a former friend I hadn't seen or spoken to in that long, much less their father's funeral.

I'm mean if you haven't seen or talked to them in a decade and half they're not a part of your life.

Edited by dmaul1114, 06 February 2011 - 04:39 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#49 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

I'm with you on this one dmaul. I don't think I'm going. I am contemplating sending an email to him though (his address was in the email that was forwarded to me). Also, one day's notice is way too short. I have the kids all day tomorrow and there's not enough time to rearrange plans.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#50 HotShotX

HotShotX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

I'm with you on this one dmaul. I don't think I'm going. I am contemplating sending an email to him though (his address was in the email that was forwarded to me). Also, one day's notice is way too short. I have the kids all day tomorrow and there's not enough time to rearrange plans.

If you only heard through "a friend of a friend", you aren't that close. Stay home.

~HotShotX
[chipinsig]dc7c442c9bf5c573[/chipinsig]

#51 chiwii

chiwii

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

I agree with dmaul - I also probably wouldn't even go to the funeral of a former friend that I hadn't talked to in over a decade, and I certainly wouldn't go to their parent's funeral.

Am I the only one who thinks that a funeral/wake seems like an inappropriate place to catch up with old friends? I know that people do that all the time, but I'm really uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't want old friends that I hadn't spoken to in years just showing up at the wake/funeral for one of my family members. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

#52 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that a funeral/wake seems like an inappropriate place to catch up with old friends? I know that people do that all the time, but I'm really uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't want old friends that I hadn't spoken to in years just showing up at the wake/funeral for one of my family members. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Agree. I wouldn't want personal acquaintances or old friends I'm not really friends with anymore as I haven't seen them in ages showing up at one of my parent's funerals either.

That's a personal, grieving experience and should only be for people who were all very close to the deceased and/or the deceased loved ones IMO.

But like you say, I know many have more open wakes and funerals, so I guess people have varying views on that.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#53 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

If it's a friend of a friend, and there's one day notice about it, I would say you don't need to go. Especially if there's no way you could have someone watch your kids and the like associated with a short notice situation.

If you actually kept in contact with this old friend of yours regularly, that's a different matter, though if you've not spoken to them in 15 years, then I think you shouldn't need to go.

There's also the obvious statement of the only funeral you have to go to is your own, though that's a different matter entirely.