The definitive sony card rewards thread - a good start to a free game or controller

rushisrighton

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Edited because they've really crapped on the website!

Since it seems there are always new people looking into this card, I thought I'd start a thread that will hopefully be a one stop place to find answers without a lot of clutter, I'll try to keep updating as needed.

You can join the club and accumulate points without applying for or actually having a sony credit card, however without being a cardholder you will only be able to spend 500 points at a time, which isn't much. By being a cardholder, you can buy and redeem your points for anything SONY, this includes all sony electronics, computers, ps3 games, ps3 accessories and sony bluray movies. Add to the fact that you can acquire points for free, you will see why this makes my sony card the most rewarding card I own.

That being said, let's get started on getting them free sony points without spending a dime!:bouncy:

STEP ONE: Sign up to the sony rewards website here:
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/learn/sony_card/

Although you do NOT need a sony card to join the sony rewards program, you will be missing out on the best part of being a card holder such as:

1. your points will expire after a year if you do not have the card.
2. The number of points you are able to redeem per item is limited, if you have the card, you can use your points like cash without restrictions.
3. There are several giveaways, if you have the sony card your prizes will be bigger and better than if you do not.
4. If you have the sony card, you can purchase sony items from any authorized sony retailer and use your points to pay for them, without the card you are stuck picking prizes off of the rewards website.
5. If you are lucky enough to be getting this card for the first time and are going to be getting 1 to 2 hundred off of a ps3, you'll also be getting a good amount of free sony points added along with your purchase, enough to redeem for something cool along with that shiny new ps3.

STEP TWO:

Creat a new folder in your favorites named "rushisrighton's sweet ass sony links" and put this link in it. this is your main bread and butter link.

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/wof/

STEP THREE:

here is a website that will give you the bonus puzzle answer
http://www.jimpettis.com/wheel/#BonusPuzzle

want more free points?

https://productregistration.sel.sony.com/app/home.htm?tid=995210
Go here and register 5 sony products for 2,500 free points, (you don't even have to own them, just fill in the blanks with whatever, but if you have sony stuff, I suggest actually registering it, it's the right thing to do;). You can view what you have registered at this link: https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_account/products/

You can also download a users manual for your registered products from that link, nice if you lost yours.

Now look down at the bottom of the page, in small print you'll see invite a friend, invite 4 and get 25 point per person who registers at the sony site. Time to put your multiple email addresses to good use and score another 100 points total.

On any given page on the sony site you may see a sony poll.....answer it and get 10 points.

BLU-RAY club: If you buy/rent a SONY bluray, you can register that bluray by accessing the BD live feature on the bluray itself witha BD live enabled player, you need to have 1. A SONY BD live enable bluray, 2. A Bluray player that can access the internet and use the BD LIVE feature, and you must register it with the same email address/password as your sony rewards accout. Once you register the disc via BD live, you can log into your sony rewards account and you will get 100 points. The first 9 you register will each give 100 points each. However upon the 10th blu ray it will deduct 1000 points and give you a 10 dollar off coupon towards a bluray (there are workarounds to this).

Here is link, feel free to add it to your favorites, you'll be coming back to this one as time goes by. http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/bluray/

^^join the sony blu ray club and get 500 points (was for me, but now only 50?), plus 100 points for every bluray disc that has BD live that you register, register 10 and get a 10 dollar off coupon towards any bluray on the sony site. Here is a list of BD live discs http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75557

Next create a wishlist:

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/wish_list/ This gives you 50 points, update it at the start of every month and get 25 points each month for updating.

Also in your account information tab there is a "your profile questionere" it's worth 50 points if you fill it out: https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_account/profile/questionnaire

Look on your sony site for the daily giveaway, bet up to 500 points for your chance to win, IF YOU DO NOT WIN, YOUR POINTS COME BACK THE NEXT DAY, if you have the sony card and win you can opt out of the offered prize and pick anything in your wishlist up to 1,000 dollars.

Deal of the week: sometimes lame, sometimes just what you wanted, I got a 100 dollar sony Ipod dock for 50 bucks, I looked everywhere and no one had it cheaper than a hundred, so sometimes the deal of the week can be great, all depends on what you want.

Reverse auctions, happens on one wensday of the month, prices go down instead of up, you might get lucky and get something cheap, but it's pretty lame IMO.

Dream giveaway, one kick butt prize given away to one winner once a month.

Wish it win it, start your wish list, use your sony card and you may just win 3 prizes of your choise in your wish list, (make sure you've got big ticket items in there)

You can redeem your points at ANY authorized sony retailer if you buy sony stuff with your sony card. FILL OUT THIS FORM> https://www.sonyrewards.com/en/your_account/purchase_credit_form/

Just fill out this form and mail it in, SAVE YOUR RECEIPT AND UPC (if you lost your upc, you can sometimes get away with useing all zeros on the form)

Ps3 games, sony home theater, tv's, sixaxis controllers, anything sony, go to walmart, target, amazon, etc., buy with your sony card, within 90 days fill out the sony purchase points redemptions form, send it in and the total is deducted off of your card, (except for the sales tax and shipping)
You do NOT have to redeem through the sony rewards site if you have the sony card, the points on the sony site are basically msrp, if you are a true cagger, you will not settle for msrp.

Points are same as cash for sony card holders, 1 point = 1 cent, 10 points = 10 cents, 10,000 points = 100 redeemable dollars , no limit on how many you can use, you can redeem for 10 dollars or two thousand dollars. Without the card you can only apply up to 500 points towards a game, 5.00 off of a game on the sony rewards site is not a good deal, but you can still play all of the prize drawings.

In order to qualify for triple points on your sony purchases you HAVE to complete and fill out the redmption form from the above link, it is the only way to get triple points.

I usually only send in the form on big sony purchases, otherwise it's not worth the price of the stamp or my time. It's one of the few downsides of the otherwise great perks, but at least you have the option.

MISSING POINTS?

It's not uncommon for small glitches to happen from time to time on the sony site, there are countless posts on the wheel forum to document this, I can say that in my many years of useing the site daily only one time did my points not eventually come back or show up, and that one time after waiting about a week or longer I emailed them with a polite email and they posted back my points, and more than I had missing! The biggest problem I run into is the daily question, sometimes, randomly, when I answer the question correctly it will still count it wrong. But when that happens, I just think of the free ps3, psp2000, psp game, blu ray remote, & sixaxis controller I have gotten off of the website, and the 10 cent screwup doesn't seem so bad :).

So if you have points go missing, just wait a bit and see if they show up, chances are you haven't read the times that they post points and return points or they are just experiencing some temporary site problems, and if they still don't show up, call or email, they will make it right.

BIG PLUS FOR CARD HOLDERS

The sony visa card also extends out your manufacturers warranty for a year past the original experation date. What this means is that if your item that you purchased and paid for in full with your sony visa card, they will infact pay to repair/replace that item providing you supply a copy of your original receipt or a copy of your credit card statement showing the original purchase, a copy of the manufacturers warranty, and a copy of your repair bill, and a few other miscellanious things like serial numbers and that sort of thing. I have used it to pay for my PS3 repair and it was a painless process.

The phone number for visa enhancement services is 1-800-551-8472

One thing to keep in mind is you have 90 days from the date of the products failure to complete your paperwork and repair - don't wait to get this information in!!!

Also you can purchase an extended warranty for your product through the visa card, I was told it would be 60 dollars to warranty my ps3 for five years.

One thing to keep in mind is you have 90 days from the date of failure.

My ps3 repair was 149 dollars, I received a check from visa for 149 dollars before my playstation 3 was returned to me by sony! Visa is quick!!!!

more to come:applause:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always seen references to this thing and never knew how it worked. Thanks for the post OP.

OK, though, I am not going to sign up for the credit card. So how useful will this be for me? I just bought a PS3 and some games recently. Could I actually get something out of that? I don't mind redeeming points at MSRP on the Sony site if that's what it takes (and I have enough points for such things). That is better than what I am getting now which is nothing :lol:.

But give me an idea of what kinds of things I could get by doing most of the links you provide (but say, skipping the referral ones since I probably won't do those), registering a PS3 and 6 or 7 games, and a blu-ray or two. What kinds of point totals are we talking about for game purchases?

(And more so than just for me I think that info would be helpful for a lot of people. I am looking at the site now and can probably figure it out myself..

Edit - OK, so basically it looks like 1 Sony point = 1 cent of redemption at their store - might want to add this to the OP. So that gives me an idea of what I might expect. A lot of games thus cost 6000 points, though something like Motor Storm Pacific Rift is even more at 6199. Thing is, am I likely to hit that amount in 1 year of just doing regular stuff? Or is it a waste of time if my points expire at the end of the year?)

Before anyone craps on opening a card, let me just say that it's actually a damn good credit card in itself if you use one often. My rate is 10.99% (this may be different for you) which is pretty low for most CC. I had to cancel my Capitalone a year ago when they bumped up rates universally to the upper teens (are you kidding me?).

If you have the discipline to use the card for certain things (gas, utility payments, ect) and paying it off regularly, along with the rewards site activities that net you 100 points a week (at least) you'd be well on your way to getting a few free games a year.

I've been doing this since I bought my PS3 from Sonystyle back in Sept. Got to use my points for a purchase credit.

Never knew about the product registration. Thanks!!!

Woah, thanks for the excellent over view - I may seriously look into this. I've been thinking of getting another credit card anyway, and free games are always a good thing :)

awesome! i'm glad you started this one rush! i used to always just search "sony rewards" to find that one thread with all this info and links to the puzzle/Q&A answers. now everything is here!! thanks!!

I try to do this everyday. so far I have earned one free movie and now have over 4000 points towards another free movie. Plus they send you out ten dollar off coupons almost every other week for some new release that they are trying to shove off on the masses so you can get some okay deals. It is pretty easy to do for free and is much better than actually having to spend money to earn the points.

If you are not a member, you can only spend up to 500 points on items less than 10,000 points (and only up to 200 points for items less than 2,500 I believe). That means no free games, controllers, etc. However, if you are persistent enough, it can mean free ps3, blu ray player, etc., but only if you are a card holder(takes more than a year to accrue those kinds of points). If you aren't, you can't really get all that much.

Rewards Catalog The Rewards catalog has tons of great Sony stuff to choose from. And it's simple to use. Know what you want? Just type it in the search box. Not sure what you're looking for? Choose a category to browse thousands of the hottest titles in music, movies, and games — Sony electronics — and more. When you find something you like, add it to your shopping cart — then check out. Your Reward Points will be automatically distributed to each item in your cart. For electronics, up to 500 points will be applied toward items under 10,000 points — and an unlimited number will be applied to those over 10,000. For DVDs and CDs less than 2,000 points — up to 200 points will be applied. For DVDs and CDs over 2,000, up to 500 points will be applied. Better yet, if you have a Sony Card or a PlayStation Card — there's no limit to the amount of points that will be applied to any item. Don't have a Sony Card or PlayStation Card? Click Apply to get started! All members can receive a 100-point discount when at least 2 DVDs or CDs are ordered at the same time. Once you check out, any remaining points you need can be purchased through the Point Bank with a valid credit card at one cent per point — and shipping and handling is always included in the total. You'll get a confirmation e-mail after each transaction, and another when your item ships.

[quote name='Anexanhume']You can only spend up to 500 points on items less than 10,000 points (and only up to 200 points for items less than 2,500 I believe). That means no free games, controllers, etc. However, if you are persistent enough, it can mean free ps3, blu ray player, etc., but only if you are a card holder. If you aren't, you can't really get all that much.[/quote]

wait, where does it say there's a maximum number of points you can use to redeem items? or do you mean it only applies to non-sony card members?

can someone give a general amount of time spent a day doing this and maybe a list the free stuff they got for their time? I'm wondering if this s something I personally would feel is worth the time investment.

Also is there a given time of year that the 50-100-150-200 off of a 300 dollar purchase typically raises back up to $200?

[quote name='Agentredd']can someone give a general amount of time spent a day doing this and maybe a list the free stuff they got for their time? I'm wondering if this s something I personally would feel is worth the time investment.

Also is there a given time of year that the 50-100-150-200 off of a 300 dollar purchase typically raises back up to $200?[/quote]

2 minutes at most.

Good info, thanks OP! Joining the Blu-Ray club only gave me 150 points though. Also, you get 50 points when you first register on the site.

I thought it was just for non-members. If you're a member, this is no limit on how many points you can use. I haven't ordered anything yet though.

Daily, about 2 min

[quote name='rushisrighton']

Ps3 games, sony home theater, tv's, sixaxis controllers, anything sony, go to walmart, target, amazon, etc., buy with your sony card, within 90 days fill out the sony purchase points redemptions form, send it in and the total is deducted off of your card, (except for the sales tax and shipping)
You do NOT have to redeem through the sony rewards site if you have the sony card, the points on the sony site are basically msrp, if you are a true cagger, you will not settle for msrp.

[/quote]

Generally true, but I bought my TV off of their site when it was a special sale. I ended up getting my 26" Sony flatscreen for $400.

[quote name='Agentredd']can someone give a general amount of time spent a day doing this and maybe a list the free stuff they got for their time? I'm wondering if this s something I personally would feel is worth the time investment.
[/quote]

For what it's worth, I have the Sony Card and use it a few times a week to buy things that I pay off monthly.. so my points accumulate a bit higher than most, but here goes:

August 07 - $500 60gb PS3 - $150 with credit.
I kind of ignored the rewards aspect of the card and let it collect dust until the Sony Rewards website was pointed out to me in early 08.

2008 - I started visiting the website regularly and collected 120 pts a week (Wheel Watchers - 50/wk, SPT Triva - 50/wk, WoF Flashback - 20/wk). And I started using the Sony Card all the time to buy things. This takes all of 5 minutes a day

For points I've redeemed:
Items ordered from the Rewards Website:

1x God of War 2 (horrible idea.. I cashed in 4250 points for it right before it went GH)
1x Hot Shots Golf:OoB
2x Ratchet & Clank for trading

Items I've purchased from retail stores and got a cash credit for, from turning in Rewards Points for Sony products bought in store:

1x Ac/Dc Track Pack from Walmart $40 of points -- credited to my card
1x Motorstorm 2 from Best Buy $40 of points -- credited to my card

Items I've won from the Daily Giveaway contest on the RewardsSite:

1x 40gb PS3

So, basically I've gotten a PS3 and 6 games out of using this card and checking in daily for points. Anyone who tells you it will mess up your credit to get this card does not know what they are talking about. I've gotten all that stuff and a card with a 10.99% rate (I closed my Capitalone account that was charging me 18% or 20% on any balance I carried) so it was an upgrade and a bonus for me. It's worth it if you're a gamer.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Yeah, I got a 9.9% rate on this card, and it was only my second credit card ever, so my credit wasn't stellar or anything.[/quote]

You son of a.. now I'm going to have to call and ask for a lower rate :cool:

Thanks OP! Very well done. I just ordered the blu-ray remote, which I didn't have yet and will be great for the wife and for people who visit.

I definitely didn't get 2500 points for registering 5 products (though I was just typing in jibberish for the model number, I don't feel like looking for the model # on my PS3).

Does anyone know products that work? Or does it take a while?

[quote name='C4RRnage']I definitely didn't get 2500 points for registering 5 products (though I was just typing in jibberish for the model number, I don't feel like looking for the model # on my PS3).

Does anyone know products that work? Or does it take a while?[/quote]
There's actually another thread that has similar info and has the numbers for 5 products you can register for 2500 points - let me look for it.

Edit:

Originally Posted by evergoo
I discovered this in the Wheel Watchers Club forum and I thought this could be helpful for those who want to earn lots of Sony Rewards points.

1. Make sure you are logged into your Sony Rewards account on the official site: http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/sonycard/
2. Go to this website to register Sony products and sign on as a Guest User: https://productregistration.sel.sony.com/app/home.htm
3. Now fill out the registration form and input these 5 model numbers for the following products:
  • PS2 Slim (SCPH75001)
  • PS2 Controller (SCPH10010)
  • PS2 Multitap (SCPH10090)
  • PS2 Network Adapter (SCPH10281)
  • PS2 HDD (SCPH20401)
3. Submit your completed form and click on the Join Now button on the bottom right.
4. Voila! You've earned 500 points per product registered. 500 x 5 = 2,500 (max)

You don't need to own these products to register since there is no verification needed. By the way, 2500 pts (or less) = a $25 gift card. Here comes another Blockbuster $25 gift card for me! :bouncy:

From this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178010&highlight=sony+rewards&page=9

Also, what is the wheel of fortune answer for today? I didn't see it on the forum you linked to.

Edit: I see it now. Sort by date helps.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']There's actually another thread that has similar info and has the numbers for 5 products you can register for 2500 points - let me look for it.

Edit:

Originally Posted by evergoo
I discovered this in the Wheel Watchers Club forum and I thought this could be helpful for those who want to earn lots of Sony Rewards points.

1. Make sure you are logged into your Sony Rewards account on the official site: http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/sonycard/
2. Go to this website to register Sony products and sign on as a Guest User: https://productregistration.sel.sony.com/app/home.htm
3. Now fill out the registration form and input these 5 model numbers for the following products:
  • PS2 Slim (SCPH75001)
  • PS2 Controller (SCPH10010)
  • PS2 Multitap (SCPH10090)
  • PS2 Network Adapter (SCPH10281)
  • PS2 HDD (SCPH20401)
3. Submit your completed form and click on the Join Now button on the bottom right.
4. Voila! You've earned 500 points per product registered. 500 x 5 = 2,500 (max)

You don't need to own these products to register since there is no verification needed. By the way, 2500 pts (or less) = a $25 gift card. Here comes another Blockbuster $25 gift card for me! :bouncy:

From this thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178010&highlight=sony+rewards&page=9
[/quote]

Cool, thanks a lot. I already had a Sony card so this is all bonus :)

Okay so I asked this on the other thread, but I didn't really get a good answer. Do you get bonus rewards points if you purchase blu-rays from authorized retailers using your sony card? I know that you get bonus points for PS3 games even if they are not published by sony. Would this work the same way for blu-rays?

EDIT: I actually got a good answer, but no one confirmed whether or not you get bonus points for the blu-ray purchases.

OP: Thanks for the links and info, I had not joined wof or spt due to not knowing the answers or wanting to have to watch TV just to get a few points. Thanks for these tips and the others like registering 5 Sony products (which I do have).

Does anyone know how long it takes for PlayStation CC purchases to have their points credited to the rewards account? It has been over a month since I purchased the PS3 with the card and no points yet, is there a form that needs filled out or is it automatic?

After getting that $150 off after first purchase a year ago I was going to cancel my card but its actually worth keeping especially if you buy Blu-ray and PS games as you get double points for the Sony ones.

Thanks for the great post. Organized everything very well. I'm at 2800 points

[quote name='slowdive21']I liked this thread the first time it was posted here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178010

I guess you want to take the ALL the credit.[/QUOTE]This thread has all the pertinent info on getting points right at the top; the other topic initially just listed available games.

thanks for the post. I might as well register and get the points. can't open a credit card(the wife will kill me), but the coupon part and the chance to win stuff sounds worth it in the long run. though I do buy a lot of sony stuff, might as well just register everything and see where that puts me.

I'm already registered and I cant seem to get 500 points for registering items. I get emails saying I got the points but cant get them to show up in my account.

[quote name='my2k2zx2']I'm already registered and I cant seem to get 500 points for registering items. I get emails saying I got the points but cant get them to show up in my account.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I'm wondering if my Sony Style account isn't associated with my Sony Rewards account, because it looks like you register the products with Sony Style.

I registered 5 products and got the 2,500 points :D

The key is to do step 3 in post #21:

You have to click the Join Now button in the bottom right picture after registering each product in order to claim the 500 points (5 times).

[quote name='Jayrcee']I looked all over and cannot find the link to invite 4 friends.[/quote]

There is no link, it's a pop up............go to the sony main page, and scroll down all the way to the bottom, on the left you will see a sony emblem, now look all the way to the right, there you will see invite a friend.

[quote name='slowdive21']I liked this thread the first time it was posted here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178010

I guess you want to take the ALL the credit.[/quote]

I liked that thread too, unfortunately the op did not post all of the info in the main thread, and most of the good info was strung out through multiple pages, too confusing

And yeah, I like getting all of the credit, I'm just rolling in my piles of credit:whee: Sheeeesh try to help people out.......

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Thanks for the product registration tip. It put me over 10,500 points. I hope Littlebigplanet ends up on the rewards list some day.[/quote]

Why wait for it to be on the list?, order it over the net from an authorized sony retailer, or run down to the nearest store locally, buy it with your sony card and fill out the purchase credit form, and the total will be deducted from your card.

[quote name='eau']I registered 5 products and got the 2,500 points :D

The key is to do step 3 in post #21:

You have to click the Join Now button in the bottom right picture after registering each product in order to claim the 500 points (5 times).[/QUOTE]
Ahh thank you. I overlooked that key piece of info.

They stopped giving me my points for updating my wish list months ago, and its been over a year since I got my card and still haven't received my 5000 free points. I'll call them one of these days. :/

It is my main card I use, my rate is the same as the OP's (although I pay it in full every month so that really doesn't matter to me) but what I really like was the free year end summary. My other cards charge several dollars for one.

Thanks for this thread! All of the other threads were really confusing. This one makes it al simple

Sitting on 3500 points now. Seems too good to be true, but basically once I get 6000 points I could order Little Big Planet off Amazon with the card, fill out the rebate form and receive the cash back ($60) from my points?

bread's done
Back