Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid.

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#31 DesertEagleXIX

DesertEagleXIX

Semper Economus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

The original issue of Full Metal Jacket has a slight dubbing problem. When Gunny is making his rounds in the second scene, his voice doesn't quite sync up.
Posted Image
www.tech-gaming.com

#32 Ice2Dragon

Ice2Dragon

Cuckoo For Killing Stuff

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

Unbreakable and a few others have the POPPING ISSUE that Harold/Kumar did.

The most important question to ask is if I can kill someone with the Batrang

Just call my local bestbuy and they had no clue about a sale..

#33 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:13 PM

Any way other then watching and listening that we can tell if the copies we have are the ones that have the Glitch. I just ordered The Decent back when Amazon had it for 13 or 14 bucks and would like to know if mine has the issue. When I watched it I didn't notice anything but I really don't watch the credits much.
Posted Image

#34 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

hmm my copy of For Your Eyes Only plays fine, but i will look into exchanging it. Got my copy of Pirate from 3 pack so it should be okay.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#35 dack

dack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

Hmm...I can't decide if it's worth the time/shipping to return Starship Troopers...

#36 bullsrfive

bullsrfive

Raw is Jericho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

thank goodness i dont hav any of those titles

#37 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

I hope the Unbreakable problem gets resolved. And a few people have asked about how to tell if they have a problem version of PotC and no one has addressed it. ow does one tell if there is a "framing error"?

Also, I bought Dan in Real Life when it came out last year. Great movie, despite the fact that I hate Steve Carell. But I seem to remember having a problem with the player freezing if you tried to rewind or fast forward and it seems that about half the people who bought it had the same problem. Has this been fixed or does this title need to be added to the list? I haven't even watched the movie since the initial time I saw it because it was such a pain.

#38 lockey

lockey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

Hmmm. wondering if i should bite on The Fifth Element on sale at Fry's for $11.99.

#39 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:38 AM

Hmmm. wondering if i should bite on The Fifth Element on sale at Fry's for $11.99.

I believe the version that says Dolby TrueHD on the back is the good one.

#40 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

Thanks OP. I didnt know about half of these problems.

#41 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

The Fifth Element BD problem was that the additional footage added in (which was just a few seconds at a time) was NOT in high-def. It was jarringly noticeable to me.
Even though its an old problem, I got a bad disc on the Circuit City out-of-business sale. The replacement program was quick though and the best part....they didn't ask for the case back. One free BluRay case. (Disney made me send the POTC:COTBP case back with the disc)

#42 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:06 AM

After experiencing how crappy Robocop was I will be seriously avoiding older movie titles and if I do get interested will do some heavy research before hand.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#43 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:01 AM

After experiencing how crappy Robocop was I will be seriously avoiding older movie titles and if I do get interested will do some heavy research before hand.

Agree here. Although there are starting to be a lot of sales on older movies on blu ray, I always check review sites BEFORE buying them. If they don't look any better than my SD-DVD copy, then I skip it.

#44 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:04 AM

I couldn't believe it, but it makes sense. Can't take an avatar sized pic and make it 1080p quality. I wonder how they get around that or if they are just praying the average consumer continues to be oblivious to it?

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#45 bill123

bill123

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:43 AM

Found the info on Starship Troopers:

http://forum.blu-ray...41&postcount=93

Thanks Linkin for the info. I definitely want to replace mine that's just ridiculous the crappy job they did. Also thanks to Ruined for putting this thread together. I'd never know about these movies without it.

55877.png
563306.png

#46 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:08 AM

"Halloween
* Color balance during night scenes deviates from the filmmakers intentions
! Anchor Bay/Starz does not consider this an issue."

From what I understand the "blue" color is NOT the filmmakers intention. The washed out color, that's the "corrected" color that fans absolutely loathe. I read a long time ago that original blue tint was a mistake, but the movie aired so many times on TV with that incorrect color balance that it became the accepted color. I think they released the correctly balanced color transfer once and got so much hate mail they would never do it again.

From what I understand about the Blu-Ray, it's the now-traditional blue tint transfer but the 1080p conversion lost some saturation levels. Where it's still blue at night, but not that almost neonlike blue that made the movie so unique.

#47 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:22 AM

wow... you see how Sony promotes BR as being perfect... yea thanks again sony.:roll: keep this shit up and I am going to stick with current titles only.

Damn, I wonder how fucked up Terminator 1 is?

#48 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

From what I understand the "blue" color is NOT the filmmakers intention. The washed out color, that's the "corrected" color that fans absolutely loathe. I read a long time ago that original blue tint was a mistake, but the movie aired so many times on TV with that incorrect color balance that it became the accepted color. I think they released the correctly balanced color transfer once and got so much hate mail they would never do it again.

From what I understand about the Blu-Ray, it's the now-traditional blue tint transfer but the 1080p conversion lost some saturation levels. Where it's still blue at night, but not that almost neonlike blue that made the movie so unique.

The blue tint is Dean Cundey's preference, and he was the cinematographer/director of photography of Halloween. That counts as filmmakers intention IMO.

As for the Blu-ray...
http://bluray.highde...loween1978.html

Unfortunately, that DiviMax version caused quite an uproar with fans when word quickly leaked out on the eve of its release that neither John Carpenter nor cinematographer Dean Cundey had approved the new master, and without their input, great liberties were taken with the film's color timing...

Sadly, this 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 sports most of the same color timing problems as the DiviMax DVD edition. Although earlier reports had indicated that Starz/Anchor Bay had planned on using the old, Cundey-approved master for this Blu-ray edition, judging from the results here, I have to assume that they just used the DiviMax master and tweaked it a little. Though the daylight exteriors are much closer to previous Cundey-approved masters (including a 1995 Criterion Collection laserdisc, as well as earlier Anchor Bay THX-certified DVD editions), the nighttime scenes -- about 3/4 of the movie -- still just aren't right. The effective blue-orange complimentary color palette is white-washed away, and though fleshtones may be more "accurate," this is just not the 'Halloween' it should be. (For a look at some comparison pics between the Blu-ray and the THX-certified, Cundy-approved transfer, see this thread in our forums area.)

Doesn't sound like they did a good job on the color timing.

#49 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

wow... you see how Sony promotes BR as being perfect... yea thanks again sony.:roll: keep this shit up and I am going to stick with current titles only.

Are you really this fucking stupid, or is this some kind of act for all of us?

What does Sony have to do with how the TRANSFERS of many of these movies have come out? Sony has absolutely ZERO input in many of these "issues". It's not Sony's fault or doing that some of these movies have problems. Blame the studios who put out these glitched releases.

#50 Jesse757x

Jesse757x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:21 AM

has anyone received a potc replacement disc recently? I just bought a used copy and it has the framing error.

#51 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Starship Troopers
* Editing error where a few frames of the movie are repeated, omitting what should actually be seen. Example:

I have watched this clip over and over and I cannot figure out what the issue is here--could someone please explain?

Check here for Up-to-Date list of Current/Upcoming 3D BD titles (since this forum no longer has Wiki Posts)

kyool.jpg

#52 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

Terminator 1 has a great transfer... kicks the SD DVD in the nuts many times over. Many older movies obviously won't have a transfer as clean as more recent movies, but that's a given due to the film's age and amount of effort it'd take to restore to a peak level. A lot of movies aren't easily restored into HD as much as others, that's why there's a parity of the quality of releases out there.

I don't condone bad transfers on this premium technology either and nobody should, but not all titles will be 5-star just by the nature of the industry and how the movie was filmed in the first place. Yes, some BDs have transfers that aren't pristine and clearly could be better, but they will always perform better than their SD counterparts. It's just a matter of if the upgrade is a significant one worthy of a purchase. Just remember that Blu-ray is still very much in its early stages and the technology is being tinkered with still to maximize the potential.

#53 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

it's not that old movies have bad picture quality... it's just some do and some don't.

2001 is a movie as old as they come and looks among the best in high-def.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#54 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

Are you really this fucking stupid, or is this some kind of act for all of us?

What does Sony have to do with how the TRANSFERS of many of these movies have come out? Sony has absolutely ZERO input in many of these "issues". It's not Sony's fault or doing that some of these movies have problems. Blame the studios who put out these glitched releases.

I guess you have been lucky enough to have never seen a br promo advertising perfect picture, perfect sound right? There should be more QA involved before the disc is released for replication. To have to pay 20+ more for a movie that is a small step up from the SD-DVD version with barely any new bonus features (or any features at all) is just a slap in the face for consumers. Not to mention video and sound errors and then having to wait around for the studio to fix the problem, which in some cases may take weeks or months or may be never addressed.

Terminator 1 has a great transfer... kicks the SD DVD in the nuts many times over. Many older movies obviously won't have a transfer as clean as more recent movies, but that's a given due to the film's age and amount of effort it'd take to restore to a peak level. A lot of movies aren't easily restored into HD as much as others, that's why there's a parity of the quality of releases out there.

I don't condone bad transfers on this premium technology either and nobody should, but not all titles will be 5-star just by the nature of the industry and how the movie was filmed in the first place. Yes, some BDs have transfers that aren't pristine and clearly could be better, but they will always perform better than their SD counterparts. It's just a matter of if the upgrade is a significant one worthy of a purchase. Just remember that Blu-ray is still very much in its early stages and the technology is being tinkered with still to maximize the potential.

I am glad that Terminator 1 didn't make the glitch list. I was planning on buying T2, but found out it wasn't the extended version (hmm), and t3 had it's problems. With the new movie coming out this year, it is most likely there will be a re-release of all three movies in a pack, so I will wait for that one.

Yes it all depends on how the original film was perserved by the studio. If they did a good job preserving it over the years, and they have a hell of a mastering team, then yea it's going to look amazing on BR. Movies that just didn't stand up to the test of time, shouldn't be released to BR at all because it does bring out all the imperfections of original films (grain, scratches, etc).

#55 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

I have watched this clip over and over and I cannot figure out what the issue is here--could someone please explain?

The error lasts for 5 seconds directly after he says "Fall back into the compound! Fall back!" In the first faulty clip, a portion already seen from about 10 seconds back in the movie is simply repeated again. In the corrected version, there is the actual footage missing from the faulty version.

#56 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

I guess you have been lucky enough to have never seen a br promo advertising perfect picture, perfect sound right? There should be more QA involved before the disc is released for replication. To have to pay 20+ more for a movie that is a small step up from the SD-DVD version with barely any new bonus features (or any features at all) is just a slap in the face for consumers. Not to mention video and sound errors and then having to wait around for the studio to fix the problem, which in some cases may take weeks or months or may be never addressed.

And how is any of that SONY's fault? Sony does not handle the transfers. Sony does not "QA" the disc. You blame Sony for these problems and for "false advertisement" when you should be blaming the STUDIOS who are putting out these poor transfers.

And I'm not if you've noticed or not, but these problems are rather minuscule on a large number of these movies. Wow, a single line doesn't sync up, or some colors are off during the credits. WOW. Many of the things on this list the OP has provided are purely subjective. I've got about 50 blu-rays that do in fact give me PERFECT picture and PERFECT sound. What's your point?

#57 TheCochese

TheCochese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

And how is any of that SONY's fault? Sony does not handle the transfers. Sony does not "QA" the disc. You blame Sony for these problems and for "false advertisement" when you should be blaming the STUDIOS who are putting out these poor transfers.

And I'm not if you've noticed or not, but these problems are rather minuscule on a large number of these movies. Wow, a single line doesn't sync up, or some colors are off during the credits. WOW. Many of the things on this list the OP has provided are purely subjective. I've got about 50 blu-rays that do in fact give me PERFECT picture and PERFECT sound. What's your point?

Whatever you want to believe and whatever is the truth, Sony will, and does, take the flak for bad quality discs - whether it's their fault or not. For most people, Sony = Blu-ray, and vice-versa. So if there's a problem with BDs, Sony is going to catch hell for it.

#58 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

Whatever you want to believe and whatever is the truth, Sony will, and does, take the flak for bad quality discs - whether it's their fault or not. For most people, Sony = Blu-ray, and vice-versa. So if there's a problem with BDs, Sony is going to catch hell for it.

Of course. Idiots like ITDEFX are proof that people are going to complain about Sony when it's not even Sony's doing. No matter who puts out the technology, they're going to blame them instead of the producers of the content.

#59 TheCochese

TheCochese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

Of course. Idiots like ITDEFX are proof that people are going to complain about Sony when it's not even Sony's doing. No matter who puts out the technology, they're going to blame them instead of the producers of the content.

You should probably take a break.

#60 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Wow thanks, I was considering picking up some of the movies that are flagged as red.