Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid.

• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#61 Buddycuffs

Buddycuffs

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:01 AM

Awesome post. This should be stickied.

#62 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:29 AM

Of course. Idiots like ITDEFX are proof that people are going to complain about Sony when it's not even Sony's doing. No matter who puts out the technology, they're going to blame them instead of the producers of the content.

Dude, you really need to chill out. You are so PRO Sony fan boy. If you break it down to the basics, BR just uses other compression codecs on a higher storage disc.

Whatever you want to believe and whatever is the truth, Sony will, and does, take the flak for bad quality discs - whether it's their fault or not. For most people, Sony = Blu-ray, and vice-versa. So if there's a problem with BDs, Sony is going to catch hell for it.

This is true, because Sony is aggressively promoting BR with the Perfect Picture, Perfect Sound campaign. So everyone thinks BR=Sony/PS3=BR/Sony=$$$.
If they drop that misleading campaign, then all will be good.
Sony is taking a cut from all these studios when they release a movie on THEIR FORMAT (sony's). I can't remember the site, but it was enough to realize why BR discs are either twice or three times more expensive then the DVD counter part. Some people are starting to think that SD-DVD's are getting the shaft these days because they want people to buy BR's more. They should be more actively involved with the QA on these discs. Do you have any idea how much it costs to duplicate all those discs, only to find out a few days/weeks later that there are glitches then have to go back and fix it (if it can be fixed) and have to duplicate a new master??!?!
I raither have a movie take 6 months to come out on BR with zero glitches or problems vs having a movie that came out in 3 months with glitches.

You should probably take a break.

Agreed.

Edited by ITDEFX, 11 January 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#63 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

updated!

#64 deluxeg

deluxeg

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

I couldn't believe it, but it makes sense. Can't take an avatar sized pic and make it 1080p quality. I wonder how they get around that or if they are just praying the average consumer continues to be oblivious to it?

I don't know if you understand this, what does avatar sized pictures have to do with anything? Film can actually store MORE information than 1080p.

#65 Lethal04

Lethal04

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

I got a used copy of Pirates of the Caribbean, what do I do to exchange it? Also what is a framing problem exactly, is it easily noticable? I haven't watched the movie yet, but I would like to go ahead and get a copy with no problems.

#66 ironman206

ironman206

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for compiling the list... Has anyone else noticed that the Italian Job is extremely grainy... It bothered me so much I couldn't watch the entire film.

#67 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

I don't know if you understand this, what does avatar sized pictures have to do with anything? Film can actually store MORE information than 1080p.

I'm talking about scaling you idiot... Not storage. :roll:

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#68 weevles

weevles

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

Dang, I have Enter the Dragon.

Haven't popped it in since I got it though. It just goes to show how much I take a title being on blu-ray for granted--one should never assume PQ is going to be "better" just cause it's on the HD format. >_<

#69 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

I got a used copy of Pirates of the Caribbean, what do I do to exchange it? Also what is a framing problem exactly, is it easily noticable? I haven't watched the movie yet, but I would like to go ahead and get a copy with no problems.

Pirates framing problem illustrated:
http://www.highdefdi...OTC_Blu-ray/927

Exchange program:
http://www.highdefdi.../news/show/1219

#70 graf1k

graf1k

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

Guess I need to check my copy of Blade Runner.

Awesome thread, Ruined!

#71 deluxeg

deluxeg

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

I'm talking about scaling you idiot... Not storage. :roll:

I am not talking about storage either I am talking about picture information ie. resolution. Film is a higher resolution than 1080p so what scaling are you talking about? It's not like they are selling upconverted DVD's as blu-ray discs.

#72 thewatcher

thewatcher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

this is a real issue for people without the right equipement yet. I dont yet own a HDMI compatible reciever to enjoy the HD audio codecs and I own Die Hard 2 with no way to test.

Should I replace it anyway?

#73 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

this is a real issue for people without the right equipement yet. I dont yet own a HDMI compatible reciever to enjoy the HD audio codecs and I own Die Hard 2 with no way to test.

Should I replace it anyway?

Fox has no replacement available yet, and all copies are affected. The only way to get a fixed DH2 is to import the regionfree UK or AUS versions. But you can put your name on the list in case for if/when Fox sends out replacements.

#74 Plinko

Plinko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Judge for yourself:
http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1103757

Left side is the "fathead" stretched Blu-ray, Right side is a proper aspect ratio HDTV broadcast. Really obvious on the last couple of pics w/ the lady in the red sweater. Also, lots of EE on this title.

Thanks for the post. I appreciate it.

#75 Camwi

Camwi

Can I be a sasquatch too?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for making this thread. I'm sure I'll find the information very useful in the future (when I have money).

#76 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

update! :)

#77 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

Wow awesome thread Ruined! :applause::applause:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#78 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

Any word on the Young Guns issue? I picked this up on sale @ $10 without researching it.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#79 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:41 PM

Any word on the Young Guns issue? I picked this up on sale @ $10 without researching it.

As far as I know there has been no correction.

#80 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

As far as I know there has been no correction.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU . . . oh well, only $10 for a movie I ALREADY OWNED ON DVD. Glad I saw the post on POTC, I almost bought that one.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#81 UjnHunter

UjnHunter

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

Oh man! I just bought Sukiyaki Western Django :(
Ah well, it was only $10.99
-Ujn Hunter
Posted Image

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
PS3: Dead Or Alive 5
PSP Vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Wii U: Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
iOS: After Burner Climax

#82 grap3fruitman

grap3fruitman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:21 AM

Hey I was wondering if I'm the only person that has an issue with the PCM audio track on 2001: A Space Odyssey. I get this annoying humming with that track but not with the Dolby Digital one. I've only got my PS3 to test this on. Can anyone else confirm that I'm not the only one suffering from this?

#83 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:48 AM

Saints & Soldiers BD won't play the special features, though it could be a compatibility problem, I suppose (UK import). When a special feature is chosen, the screen goes black like it's getting ready to play but then goes right back to the main menu.

The movie itself seems to be okay, but I haven't watched more than the first five minutes.

#84 voidedx

voidedx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

Hellboy (1) looks really bad on Blu-Ray. The graininess is off the charts. I couldn't even watch half of it because I was constantly irritated from the bad quality.

On a side-note, The Golden Compass Blu-Ray has incredible quality and even repairs a bad lighting shot seen in the theaters.

#85 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:07 AM

Hellboy (1) looks really bad on Blu-Ray. The graininess is off the charts. I couldn't even watch half of it because I was constantly irritated from the bad quality.

On a side-note, The Golden Compass Blu-Ray has incredible quality and even repairs a bad lighting shot seen in the theaters.

I've got both live-action Hellboy movies on Bluray and they both look excellent. I don't know what would cause the graininess.

#86 graf1k

graf1k

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, the extras on that disc are PAL so they aren't going to play on a Region A player. Not a glitch.

Saints & Soldiers BD won't play the special features, though it could be a compatibility problem, I suppose (UK import). When a special feature is chosen, the screen goes black like it's getting ready to play but then goes right back to the main menu.

The movie itself seems to be okay, but I haven't watched more than the first five minutes.

#87 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:09 AM

Maybe you have a bad disc? As Hellboy received a good review for picture quality by High-Def Digest: http://bluray.highde...y.html#Section3 and is also listed as Gold on the PQ tier at AVS: http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=858316

#88 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:20 AM

Yeah, the extras on that disc are PAL so they aren't going to play on a Region A player. Not a glitch.

I looked around online before I imported it to make sure it would play and ran across this review: http://www.blu-ray.c...530&show=review

(Note: Even though this Blu-ray release is marketed as Region-B, it is in fact Region-Free. The main menu is not in PAL, and you won’t have any issues playing the disc’s content on your Region-A PS3 or SA).

At least I can watch the movie though. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

#89 darkdaze73

darkdaze73

Serious Fisherman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

As far as Starship Troopers goes, is this limited to the US release? I was thinking about buying the uk import version of this from someone.

#90 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

As far as Starship Troopers goes, is this limited to the US release? I was thinking about buying the uk import version of this from someone.

Yes, only the US version is affected; UK version should be fine.