Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid.

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#91 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

Hellboy (1) looks really bad on Blu-Ray. The graininess is off the charts. I couldn't even watch half of it because I was constantly irritated from the bad quality.

Grain does not make a movie "look bad." Film, which most movies are shot on, inherently has grain. It is naturally there. If you use DNR to remove the grain, you remove the fine detail as well because the fine detail is actually stored in those film grains. So you have the choice of either watching with grain and getting the full detail as seen in the theaters, or you can DNR out the grain and get effective lower resolution and a video-like look.

Personally, I far prefer grain & theatrical-like look than trying to DNR everything (losing fine detail in the process) to look like a video game/wax museum. Film grain is to Blu-ray what "black bars"/widescreen was to DVD; it takes some adjusting to, but in the end you are getting higher quality with the grain intact. There is little point to high resolution/Blu-ray if you filter out tons of fine detail.

#92 darkdaze73

darkdaze73

Serious Fisherman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

Yes, only the US version is affected; UK version should be fine.

Thanks

#93 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:10 AM

Grain does not make a movie "look bad." Film, which most movies are shot on, inherently has grain. It is naturally there. If you use DNR to remove the grain, you remove the fine detail as well because the fine detail is actually stored in those film grains. So you have the choice of either watching with grain and getting the full detail as seen in the theaters, or you can DNR out the grain and get effective lower resolution and a video-like look.

Personally, I far prefer grain & theatrical-like look than trying to DNR everything (losing fine detail in the process) to look like a video game/wax museum. Film grain is to Blu-ray what "black bars"/widescreen was to DVD; it takes some adjusting to, but in the end you are getting higher quality with the grain intact. There is little point to high resolution/Blu-ray if you filter out tons of fine detail.

That depends on whether the grain was artificial or inherent to the film media it is shot on.
Some spec effects films, CGI, IMAX shot, 1080p+ video shot, and animated CGI movies now have added film-grain purely for effect.

If it is intentional and natural to the film, like in Reservoir Dogs and it is inherent to the film, then that is fine; If it's added for "credibility" or appearance with Magic Bullet software . . .etc. and only for effect then it's crap and shouldn't be in the Blu version IMHO.

To me it's like people who prefer the audio of a Vinyl LP over a CD because they like the pop and crackle-calling CD's artificially bright. It's a thin argument.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#94 weevles

weevles

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:38 AM

You missed Ruined's point--he was specifically referring to a shot on film movie.

#95 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

You missed Ruined's point--he was specifically referring to a shot on film movie.

Which is 99% of non-animated movies that have been made. Recently there have been a select few shot on digital, but even recently the ratio is very small. Most movies pre-2000 and most movies still going forward are shot on film.

The movie in question (Hellboy) was shot on 35mm film, not digitally:
http://www.imdb.com/...67190/technical
This is the most common way film is shot.

Thus if you filter out the grain, you also filter out the fine detail and defeat the purpose of having a high resolution format in the first place. Sony's transfer of it is great.

#96 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:33 AM

I was actually agreeing with him, just expounding on the idea. Some movies shot on film, like indie titles artificially enhance and/or add granularity for grittiness, but even then as long as that is the directors intent it's a good thing.

My Trade list:

#97 One4Deuce

One4Deuce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

Damn, that District B13 issue would really annoy me I think and I was planning on getting it. Well, I guess I just saved myself some money. Thanks, great thread.

#98 bvcxz11

bvcxz11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

Thanks OP.I expected this list to be only a few obscure titles,but sheesh,this is BS.I have a PS3,but have not been buying any Blu Ray movies & I think I'll stick with dvds for a while longer.

#99 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

Lionsgate is apparently just ignoring emails about their flaws in the HD masters of their Blu's.
I have decided to put a short but to the point review on Amazon (a lot of good it will do, I know).
http://www.amazon.co...=cm_cr_rdp_perm

If you guys wanna vote it up maybe they will notice- doubt it.
I also encourage anyone else who bought this to do the same.

My Trade list:

#100 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:20 AM

I think companies take Amazon reviews pretty seriously, I voted for it.

#101 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

I think companies take Amazon reviews pretty seriously, I voted for it.

Thanks man, I hope so. I just keep getting automated email responses.

RE: Since it is on page before this one.

Lionsgate is apparently just ignoring emails about their flaws in the HD masters of their Blu's.
I have decided to put a short but to the point review on Amazon (a lot of good it will do, I know).
http://www.amazon.co...=cm_cr_rdp_perm

If you guys wanna vote it up maybe they will notice- doubt it.
I also encourage anyone else who bought this to do the same.

Any other flawed disc reviews you guys have would be great; I would be glad to make this a campaign.

My Trade list:

#102 1969iggy

1969iggy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

I voted "helpful"... i assume that's what you mean in "voting it up".... Shame. If it's worth doing... it's worth doing right. And that flick does bring back H.S. Memories... :)
The three things you need to survive a gun fight:
1) Act Aggressively without hesitation
2) Act Violently without mercy
3) Get Lucky

#103 eterral

eterral

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

On a few of my disc's I get this wierd Motion Blur with things like faces or people moving. Would this be a flaw with the transfer or maybe something more likely wrong with my set?

#104 joeyatog

joeyatog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

i have the Enter The Dragon blu-ray and it does have a few scenes with some poorly mastered details. But for the most part, it looks amazing! the colors are impressive and it's a great deal as you can usually find it for around $15.
Posted Image

#105 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

i have the Enter The Dragon blu-ray and it does have a few scenes with some poorly mastered details. But for the most part, it looks amazing! the colors are impressive and it's a great deal as you can usually find it for around $15.

Check out these direct screengrabs of Enter the Dragon at full size on a digital monitor:
http://www.avsforum....433&postcount=2

With the noticable amount of jaggies, the transfer falls very short of "amazing."

#106 joeyatog

joeyatog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Check out these direct screengrabs of Enter the Dragon at full size on a digital monitor:
http://www.avsforum....433&postcount=2

With the noticable amount of jaggies, the transfer falls very short of "amazing."

i also said there were several scenes that didn't look that good. but for the price, and the unlikelyhood of a double dip, i doubt we will see a better version anytime soon.
Posted Image

#107 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

i also said there were several scenes that didn't look that good. but for the price, and the unlikelyhood of a double dip, i doubt we will see a better version anytime soon.

As with the Lionsgate titles where this happened with the effective resolution was cut in half (like Enter the Dragon) I consider these titles critically flawed.

My Trade list:

#108 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

The thing is, the entire movie is 960x1080, not just parts of it - and the whole thing is aliased.

IMO a superb DVD upconverting player like the Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player w/latest firmware would do a better job with the latest DVD edition of Enter the Dragon than we see with the Blu-ray. The detail may not be as good, but at least you don't get stuck with the pixelated-jaggies look.

#109 joeyatog

joeyatog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

The thing is, the entire movie is 960x1080, not just parts of it - and the whole thing is aliased.

IMO a superb DVD upconverting player like the Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player w/latest firmware would do a better job with the latest DVD edition of Enter the Dragon than we see with the Blu-ray. The detail may not be as good, but at least you don't get stuck with the pixelated-jaggies look.

I see, thank you for informing me. Good thing I didn't pay for this Blu-Ray! =p
Posted Image

#110 thehoweller

thehoweller

IllegalCouponPrinter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

Is there a thread like this for HD-DVDs?

If not there should be, the newest version of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow refuses to work in the 360 HD-DVD player. I'm sure there are others like the above.

Posted Image
For the Earthbound fans...Visit this SMAAASH ing link!
Posted Image

#111 sithmonkeyba

sithmonkeyba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

I couldn't get past the title screen on two different copies of babylon ad. I don't need to watch anymore vin diesel movies anyway

#112 Ruined

Ruined

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

New title added:

Let the Right One In
* Subtitle translation is incorrect.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue and is not issuing replacements; instead, they will release a new version in the future with correct subtitles for purchase. Return your disc if you are dissatisfied with the incorrect subtitle translation.
http://iconsoffright...tles_in_to.html

#113 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

is it me or does the re-issue (2007) of The Fifth Element have a few scenes that have some frame jerking?

#114 Ice2Dragon

Ice2Dragon

Cuckoo For Killing Stuff

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

is it me or does the re-issue (2007) of The Fifth Element have a few scenes that have some frame jerking?

Can u name a few scenes you noticed it in and I can check? I dont recall any but its been a year since Ive watched it.

The most important question to ask is if I can kill someone with the Batrang

Just call my local bestbuy and they had no clue about a sale..

#115 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:43 AM

Can u name a few scenes you noticed it in and I can check? I dont recall any but its been a year since Ive watched it.

I'll rewatch it but I noticed in the first 30 mins of the movie.

#116 crazylikeafox11

crazylikeafox11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

Is anyone else experiencing the sound being off in Hellboy 2? The entire movie looks like it was dubbed over in English from Chinese or something like in the old Godzilla movies.

#117 joeyatog

joeyatog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Is anyone else experiencing the sound being off in Hellboy 2? The entire movie looks like it was dubbed over in English from Chinese or something like in the old Godzilla movies.

Hmm, i didn't have any audio issues with my hellboy 2. in fact, it's one of the best mixes i've heard!
Posted Image

#118 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

Hmm, i didn't have any audio issues with my hellboy 2. in fact, it's one of the best mixes i've heard!

Same here. It might be an issue with you getting lag from your receiver.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#119 crazylikeafox11

crazylikeafox11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Yeah so far all of my blu-rays have played just fine on my PS3 (probably should have mentioned that's what I was using before). I'll try it again later.

#120 crazylikeafox11

crazylikeafox11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

Update on my Hellboy 2 audio sync problem. It seems that the issue occurs on all discs with Ucontrol (Incredible Hulk, Heroes). Seems to be a little better when I change the settings of my ps3 to bitstream from linear PCM.

Anywho, it's not the disc (I had my brother test it in his blu-ray player and it played just fine); guess I need to take a look at my settings.