Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid.

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#241 Wongtong

Wongtong

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

What reports? I haven't experienced any problems yet. About halfway through the first movie.

From what I've read so far, one of the movies has a greenish haze that is not in the other two. Also not in other editions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So basically at the current price, we are now paying for Fellowship of the Green...

Edited by Wongtong, 30 June 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#242 aporter727

aporter727

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

From what I've read so far, one of the movies has a greenish haze that is not in the other two. Also not in other editions.

It was supposedly intentional according to Blu-Ray.com's original review of Fellowship of the Ring. However, they've updated since and have changed their opinion on whether or not it was intentional or an accident.

#243 freddyfromutah

freddyfromutah

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

For what it's worth, after watching all 3 movies (in one day :lol:), the image quality is amazing. Absolutely zero complaints about color, quality, anything. I was surprised at how much more I noticed the CGI, the picture quality of the DVD editions obviously covered some of that up. Still, incredible movies, and for fans of the movies, the EE are a no brainer :)

#244 rodsilver

rodsilver

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

thanks for the list

#245 fmwross2

fmwross2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:36 PM

FYI When Your Highness came out I got it sent from Blockbuster on release day. I put it into my PS3 and it buzzed super loudly and wouldn't play. I got a replacement disc and it did the same exact thing. The PS3 hasn't had an update since then.

I ended up just getting them to ship the DVD version and it worked perfectly. It's an awful movie though.

#246 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

FYI When Your Highness came out I got it sent from Blockbuster on release day. I put it into my PS3 and it buzzed super loudly and wouldn't play. I got a replacement disc and it did the same exact thing. The PS3 hasn't had an update since then.

I ended up just getting them to ship the DVD version and it worked perfectly. It's an awful movie though.

fuuuuuuuckkkkkk! I was looking forward to getting this blu ray too. And I only have a ps3. Dammit!!!!!!

#247 jiggyteddy

jiggyteddy

Frugal As Can Be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Anyone having X-Men: First Class issues for Blu on PS3?

I get a skip here and there. I think it happened maybe 3-4 times through the entire movie.
Posted Image
Totally legit rewards app! Join shopkick on your smartphone then use promo code: tomato6347 to get 50 kicks instantly! I earned $360 in BB certificates for calendar year 2012 thanks to shopkick!

Now playing:
Metal Gear Rising, Fight Night Champion, and Dynasty Warriors 7.

My twitter is @jiggyteddy for my random ramblings...

#248 Finch106

Finch106

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

Is there any way to get Saving Private Ryan replaced at this point? I've opened mine, and left it alone for months. I can't return it for the fixed copy, and the number paramount had listed doesn't work anymore.

#249 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

I've also seen quite a few reports of the X-men First Class blu skipping / not even playing on many peoples devices (most of amazons 1-star ratings are people ranting at such), including PS3's. Haven't picked up a copy because of this (only blu-ray player I have is the ps3), but I also suggest putting that title in the OP.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: MGS Peace Walker HD

:360: n/a
:pc: Hearthstone, Sam & Max S1E04; Spec Ops The Line

Add me on Steam, we'll play games and stuff:

#250 Verie

Verie

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

Finally started collecting some blurays since Amazon's been having some great sales on them, glad I haven't picked up any from this list yet. Thanks for the list!

Sad to see there are problems with Sukiyaki Western Django. Not the best movie, but it's pretty fun.

#251 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

I guess we can add Tron Evolution 3D to the list. Played it last night and at a certain scene the audio cuts off for about two seconds, it's always at the same scene. And then when they're at the club fighting, the audio let's out loud pops, almost like static. I googled the issue and several other sites list similar problems. I haven't tried the regular blu-ray or DVD but I will tonight.

#252 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

Does Thor have problems? I finally got a chance to play it the other day and it seems that there is a dialog problem as I can't hear anything except music/sound effects...hmm..

#253 ibelongtohalo

ibelongtohalo

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

It may have been mentioned before, but I have issues with my copy of Rio. The picture goes blank(black screen) every few minutes. The sound is fine, but it pretty much makes it unwatchable.

#254 Drek

Drek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

Does Thor have problems? I finally got a chance to play it the other day and it seems that there is a dialog problem as I can't hear anything except music/sound effects...hmm..

I've played Thor on my ps3 with no issues. What your problem sounds like is the result of Cinavia, a copy protection tool that mutes the primary audio track and lets background and music tracks run normally when triggered.

I have also had this happen with movies that support lossless HD audio formats by default if the cabling for your sound system changes from digitally "secure" cabling (HDMI) to non-secure or analog cabling (anything else). My problem was with Kingdom of Heaven on my PS3. When running both audio and video to my TV via HDMI and then sending audio to my receiver via optical cable I hit a bottleneck resulting in the same problem you described. I was told it was a symptom of the latest HD audio formats having their copy protection triggered by transitioning off HDMI. Since my receiver does not support HDMI sources I just had to cable my PS3 with its own optical cable to the receiver.

#255 InvaderZim

InvaderZim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

I guess we can add Tron Evolution 3D to the list. Played it last night and at a certain scene the audio cuts off for about two seconds, it's always at the same scene. And then when they're at the club fighting, the audio let's out loud pops, almost like static. I googled the issue and several other sites list similar problems. I haven't tried the regular blu-ray or DVD but I will tonight.

I wonder if that site collects player info/firmware #/and what components are being used?

And if it's a 3D title maybe swap the HDMI cables/check for receiver firmware updates? The two second drop in audio makes me suspect that is the issue?

#256 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Anybody else have a problem with Mr. Poppers Penguins? The movie was pausing and skipping through out the whole movie. I haven't watched it on my standalone player but watched it on the PS3.

#257 Wongtong

Wongtong

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Is Se7en supposed to have problems? I can't get it to play despite having upgraded my firmware.
A couple people on Amazon can't seem to get it to play on their PS3s either...

#258 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

I've played Thor on my ps3 with no issues. What your problem sounds like is the result of Cinavia, a copy protection tool that mutes the primary audio track and lets background and music tracks run normally when triggered.

I have also had this happen with movies that support lossless HD audio formats by default if the cabling for your sound system changes from digitally "secure" cabling (HDMI) to non-secure or analog cabling (anything else). My problem was with Kingdom of Heaven on my PS3. When running both audio and video to my TV via HDMI and then sending audio to my receiver via optical cable I hit a bottleneck resulting in the same problem you described. I was told it was a symptom of the latest HD audio formats having their copy protection triggered by transitioning off HDMI. Since my receiver does not support HDMI sources I just had to cable my PS3 with its own optical cable to the receiver.

wow..that fucking sucks...these copy protection schemes are getting out of hand. I've had times where some movies just freeze on the image and continue with the audio, do a weird blink , but if I restart the movie and replay that area, it is fine. I've tried to update the firmware but for some reason it keeps telling me that it fails to update it after 20+ mins of updating/downloading.

I'm gonna try to update the firmware again to see what happens and if it fixes it.

#259 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

ugh, copy protection only screws over the actual consumers, hackers will ALWAYS find a way to remove such things or work arounds. *makes me so angry*
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#260 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

I know it's been months since the posts about Thor... but are you absolutely sure there's not an issue with your center speaker? If there's music and sound effects, but no dialogue, that sounds like the center speaker to me.

Also, the previous experiences I've had with Cinavia stop playback altogether, so I don't think that's it. Thor doesn't seem to be one of the titles with Cinavia either... there are so many reasons I don't think it's Cinavia. Actually just those two.

#261 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I know it's been months since the posts about Thor... but are you absolutely sure there's not an issue with your center speaker? If there's music and sound effects, but no dialogue, that sounds like the center speaker to me.

Also, the previous experiences I've had with Cinavia stop playback altogether, so I don't think that's it. Thor doesn't seem to be one of the titles with Cinavia either... there are so many reasons I don't think it's Cinavia. Actually just those two.

Yep I actually tried playing it last night and still had the same problem. The day is coming when receivers will require internet connections to get "authorization" to play the audio. This is fucking annoying. I don't want to disconnect my set up just to list to Thor on my Panasonic's shitty tv speakers.

#262 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

ok, I decided to tinker around with the settings again in my blu ray player. I set it to digi-pass thru(?) I think and bam, it works now. So Now I can watch the bore that is THOR LOL!

#263 fmwross2

fmwross2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

I just bought Green Zone from Best Buy with Summer of Action promo cash.

I pop it in and throughout the entire movie the video freezes for five seconds or less, though the sound keeps going. It does this maybe thirty times.

Anyone else have this problem?

#264 downgrade

downgrade

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

This is the set that comes with the 3D disc, the 2D disc, the extras disc, and the DVD. On the 3D disc, when the lossless DolbyHD 7.1 track is selected in the menu, it only plays the standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track from the standard DVD version. I know it's not my settings or receiver because when I play the 2D disc, it plays the lossless audio track flawlessly. All of my other Blu-Ray discs (3D or 2D) play every audio track that I select flawlessly as well. Another verification that it's not playing the correct track is that when I bring up the on-screen display for time elapsed, audio codec, bitrate, etc, the audio reads "Dolby Digital 5.1" and the audio bitrate is locked at 640 kbps, instead of the normal fluctuating 5 to 7 MBps that comes from lossless. I don't know if Best Buy got a bad batch in the beginning, but I went through 3 copies with them and they all did the same thing.

#265 basketb

basketb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

This is the set that comes with the 3D disc, the 2D disc, the extras disc, and the DVD. On the 3D disc, when the lossless DolbyHD 7.1 track is selected in the menu, it only plays the standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track from the standard DVD version. I know it's not my settings or receiver because when I play the 2D disc, it plays the lossless audio track flawlessly. All of my other Blu-Ray discs (3D or 2D) play every audio track that I select flawlessly as well. Another verification that it's not playing the correct track is that when I bring up the on-screen display for time elapsed, audio codec, bitrate, etc, the audio reads "Dolby Digital 5.1" and the audio bitrate is locked at 640 kbps, instead of the normal fluctuating 5 to 7 MBps that comes from lossless. I don't know if Best Buy got a bad batch in the beginning, but I went through 3 copies with them and they all did the same thing.

Let me guess, you use a PS3 to play the disc.

#266 imthebongo

imthebongo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

Might want to add that life uk version plays into only but wont load the film on ps3 and some if not all Sony brd players even though its listed as region free

#267 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

It likely is region free, but probably coded in 50hz. Still good to know for those that don't have a player or converter.

#268 Aliens

Aliens

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

While this should go without saying, be extremely weary of buying newer discs if you have a profile 1.0 player. Just tried to boot Game of Thrones on my BD-P1000 and the menus were unusable with the latest firmware update.

#269 WingsDJY

WingsDJY

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

While this should go without saying, be extremely weary of buying newer discs if you have a profile 1.0 player. Just tried to boot Game of Thrones on my BD-P1000 and the menus were unusable with the latest firmware update.

How can you check?
"Ha! I like your style, you make up your own rules just like me." - Cave Johnson

#270 Omatsei

Omatsei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

There's a bad batch of the Hunger Games on bluray going around. Most of the bad disks come from Best Buy, but not all of them (mine came from Amazon). The problem is that the movie plays fine for about an hour, and at the countdown to the beginning of the games (when they're all standing on the pedestals), it pauses, then unpauses, then stops randomly. Some people report that disabling BD Live will fix it, but it didn't for me. I'm getting a replacement from Amazon, and will report back if it's better with a new copy.

Posted Image