pelican system selector pro $40 YMMV

minqqq

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
don't know if it's been posted, but i did a search and didn't find anything. gamestop B&M has system selector pros clearanced at $40. it may still say $80 but have them price check cause it's 50% off, and some do have a 50% off sticker. sweet find, been wanting this for a while and i still have to pick mine up.

I stopped by one of the GameStops in my area and I had them do a price check in the computer for one. Unfortunately, it still popped up as $79.99. Was this a special markdown that needed to be manually keyed in for this product?

same here. Had them scan it in store and it rang up full price. Can anyone else confirm this deal?

This thing works like it is supposed to but the lack of a remote control is annoying beyond belief. You have to get up and switch the thing manually every single time... god I'm lazy...

[quote name='javeryh']This thing works like it is supposed to but the lack of a remote control is annoying beyond belief. You have to get up and switch the thing manually every single time... god I'm lazy...[/quote]

Um, if this unit used remote to switch inputs, quality of signal would be shit. Since it uses hardware switches (making you get up to change the input), quality is good. What would u rather have?

[quote name='scdoanintendo']I bought one two days ago, and it was $80. They don't have a 30 day price match guarantee do they?[/quote]

Nopers. And they're still $80 at my GS. Looks to be major YMMV.

[quote name='weaponx666'][quote name='javeryh']This thing works like it is supposed to but the lack of a remote control is annoying beyond belief. You have to get up and switch the thing manually every single time... god I'm lazy...[/quote]

Um, if this unit used remote to switch inputs, quality of signal would be shit. Since it uses hardware switches (making you get up to change the input), quality is good. What would u rather have?[/quote]

I'm honestly not sure...

I got a 4 system auto switch from lik-sang.com for like $14. It works great. My TV has three AV ins, my VCR has 2 and my switcher has 4... and I still don't have room for them all

[quote name='Kayden']I got a 4 system auto switch from lik-sang.com for like $14. It works great. My TV has three AV ins, my VCR has 2 and my switcher has 4... and I still don't have room for them all[/quote]

Still though, the Pelican version has it's own power supply, which makes a huge difference in picture quality. You get what you pay for.

[quote name='weaponx666'][quote name='javeryh']This thing works like it is supposed to but the lack of a remote control is annoying beyond belief. You have to get up and switch the thing manually every single time... god I'm lazy...[/quote]

Um, if this unit used remote to switch inputs, quality of signal would be shit. Since it uses hardware switches (making you get up to change the input), quality is good. What would u rather have?[/quote]

How do you figure? The ones that people buy for high bandwidth component switching use a form of automatic switching and their quality is much better than Pelican, although a lot more expensive

AA 1154 ($194): http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/1154c.html
Zektor HDS4 ($299): http://www.zektor.com/hds4/index.htm

Yep, you get what you pay for and the Pelican is still cheap when compared to other component switches. There is some quality loss with the Pelican, but I still happily bought one of these for $100 when these things first came out. I'm happy with it for now, but eventually I'll be upgrading to a better quality switch and it will have a remote. For $40 though, this thing would be a steal.

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying an S-video switcher from BB (also found at GameCrazy) made by Intec. It also came with a remote and is powered by an AC adapter. Anyway, I hooked up my GameCube to it using S-video. The switcher didn't recognize the GameCube video signal at first, and I didn't see anything on my TV until just after the GameCube logo finished its animation. Not only that, the colors bled, and I got some feedback with the sound.

I don't recommend the Intec video switcher. I have an old S-video switcher from ASCI that I bought from NCS in 1998, and it worked far better than the Intec one. Of course, it has no remote and is not powered, but for general gaming it worked terrific.

I'm still going to get the Pelican one eventually, as I've heard numerous good things about it. I already returned the Intec switcher and got a refund. I don't necessarily regret trying it out, as I feel I "took one for the team." ;)

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Kayden']I got a 4 system auto switch from lik-sang.com for like $14. It works great. My TV has three AV ins, my VCR has 2 and my switcher has 4... and I still don't have room for them all[/quote]

Still though, the Pelican version has it's own power supply, which makes a huge difference in picture quality. You get what you pay for.[/quote]

Mine has its own power supply too... although, the ac adapter it came with was fora funky foreign outlet... I used another one I had. works great and I dont notice any quality loss... I'm not going to check either, because if I don't notice it, it wont bother me.

You probably won't notice any loss in video quality if you are using S-Video or Component in 480p. You probably will notice a difference if you are using the Pelican switcher to pass 720p or 1080i signals. It simply doesn't have the bandwidth to pass the HD signals.

I think when I have the scratch handy for a really good HDTV, a system switcher will be small potatoes to what I get for the TV. :D

For now, RCA will suffice for me. Best my 6 year old TV will do. And I don't think I'm going to replace it until it dies.

Gamestop sells a 4 switch system for $ 25.00 that includes RCA Video, S Video, Ethernet Video, and Componet video. It is there own brand. I believe it uses AC current. So for the price it is pretty good.

I went to GS and looked like a retard. Thanks OP. . . .j/k. man i wish this deal would have worked, but it was worth a shot. Good find for the OP though.

i found the deal at a GS in bloomingdale, IL and i went and checked the other GS in bloomingdale and it was also for 40 there. the guy there told me that it was being discountinued so they were clearancing it out. i will check others around me to see and maybe i can pick some up for you guys that can't get it.

definitely worth it if you have a home theater system that supports dts/dolby digital and a tv with component video. no matter what size tv you have, component video is the way to go. i've had my pelican for maybe a year now. the only problem is it only supports upto 4 optical sources. it is pretty fragile too so don't be gettin all pissed off when you loose and knuckle a button.

You can get this with the GameStop logo on it instead of Pelican (although the underside still says Pelican) for $25, at least in MD. I have one.

Can also confirm the System Selector Pro for $40 but YMMV. Went to buy this from a couple GameStops today and was prepared to pay $80 but they only had the silver one. Found a black one at the 3rd store and surprise was 50% off. :)

They also had a ton of older PC games at half price along with a couple of other steals I snatched up - the Pelican Silent Scope Light rifle and the Belkin N52 speed pad. You might want to check your local GS for these if interested.

[quote name='Celes']Is there one that supports RF?[/quote]

I believe there is an RF input on the Pelican model, but that kind of defeats the purpose of it.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Can also confirm the System Selector Pro for $40 but YMMV. Went to buy this from a couple GameStops today and was prepared to pay $80 but they only had the silver one. Found a black one at the 3rd store and surprise was 50% off. :)

They also had a ton of older PC games at half price along with a couple of other steals I snatched up - the Pelican Silent Scope Light rifle and the Belkin N52 speed pad. You might want to check your local GS for these if interested.[/quote]

Might the clearance only be on the black SSP? Could those who have found the clearance price confirm whether the SSPs were black only?

[quote name='62t']Is there a link for this?[/quote]

The OP already said that this clearance was for B&M.

I'd like to buy something like this and I have a question for those of you that have them already.

I'm going to set up a TV with an NES (top loader) that will connect in the back because there is no av hookup for that system and the following systems:

Genesis
SNES
N64
Playstation 1

Knowing that none of these systems are too graphic-intesive, what type of system selector would you recommend?

[quote name='clariste']I know very little about home theater jargon and schematics, so someone tell me why I wouldn't want to buy this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2233631

instead of an $80 model, or even a $40 model. Thanks.[/quote]

Basically, there are four types of video inputs currently in use. In order from lowest quality to highest quality, they are RF (which is all but obsolete now), composite aka RCA (the standard yellow, white and red), S-Video, and component.

The device that you linked can handle the first three input types I listed, but the device discussed in the OP can also handle component inputs, as well as optical audio and ethernet. If you don't use component video, then you probably don't need the System Selector Pro.

[quote name='Kayden'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Kayden']I got a 4 system auto switch from lik-sang.com for like $14. It works great. My TV has three AV ins, my VCR has 2 and my switcher has 4... and I still don't have room for them all[/quote]

Still though, the Pelican version has it's own power supply, which makes a huge difference in picture quality. You get what you pay for.[/quote]

Mine has its own power supply too... although, the ac adapter it came with was fora funky foreign outlet... I used another one I had. works great and I dont notice any quality loss... I'm not going to check either, because if I don't notice it, it wont bother me.[/quote]

Not to be a d1ck, but the power supply has nothing to do with picture quality. It is simply to power the LEDs that backlight the switches. The Pelican is good (I have one) but I saw an analysis on a home theater site once and they said signla quality is only good up to 480p. It's bad for 720p or 1080i. I'll try to find the link. They did a pretty thorough review and knew what they were talking about.

[quote name='tokerblue']You probably won't notice any loss in video quality if you are using S-Video or Component in 480p. You probably will notice a difference if you are using the Pelican switcher to pass 720p or 1080i signals. It simply doesn't have the bandwidth to pass the HD signals.[/quote]

Exactly. R u the tokerblue from the Fire Pro D boards on gamefaqs from a few years ago?

[quote name='weaponx666']Exactly. R u the tokerblue from the Fire Pro D boards on gamefaqs from a few years ago?[/quote]
> The same! It's nice to see a fellow FP gamer again!

The AVS Forums had a comparison of the various video selectors and their output. If you do a slow search on "Pelican Component", I'm sure a ton of threads will appear.

Here's the review. Note that the review is from a competitor, but the analysis is based on a oscilloscope reading.

[quote name='tokerblue'][quote name='weaponx666']Exactly. R u the tokerblue from the Fire Pro D boards on gamefaqs from a few years ago?[/quote]

The AVS Forums had a comparison of the various video selectors and their output. If you do a slow search on "Pelican Component", I'm sure a ton of threads will appear.

Here's the review. Note that the review is from a competitor, but the analysis is based on a oscilloscope reading.[/quote]

I never posted much over there but noticed your posts since every other one was from you. :D

I had seen this same info you saw about this selector. I bought one b/c high end units are too much money and don't have all the features this one has. For the money I'd say it's awesome. I have so many game systems that I may need to buy another one. I do worry about video quality but haven't noticed much of a difference. I have my GC, PS2, and Xbox all hooked up with video component cable through this selector, then into my TV, since I don't have a receiver that does component video.

To those wondering, I have the official component cables for each system, no cheapo cables but no rip-off Monster cables either. I also have an NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, and DC, that I need to hook up. Anyone know where to get official S-Video cables for DC and Saturn? I bought the ones for N64 and SNES right from the Nintendo site.

[quote name='"weaponx666"'][quote name='tokerblue'][quote name='weaponx666']Exactly. R u the tokerblue from the Fire Pro D boards on gamefaqs from a few years ago?[/quote]

Here's the review. Note that the review is from a competitor, but the analysis is based on a oscilloscope reading.[/quote]

Why would you buy component cables for each system if your tv does not support component video input. You are just going to mash all the signals back together then.

[quote name='gamegeizer']Gamestop sells a 4 switch system for $ 25.00 that includes RCA Video, S Video, Ethernet Video, and Componet video. It is there own brand. I believe it uses AC current. So for the price it is pretty good.[/quote]

Can anyone locate this on the Gamestop website?

[quote name='TC'][quote name='gamegeizer']Gamestop sells a 4 switch system for $ 25.00 that includes RCA Video, S Video, Ethernet Video, and Componet video. It is there own brand. I believe it uses AC current. So for the price it is pretty good.[/quote]

Can anyone locate this on the Gamestop website?[/quote]http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801888

I was going to buy it the other night, but I noticed the gamestop logo so I decided to hold off and buy the regular version later on instead. they also had a sign saying $5 off (all?) system selectors but I didn't inquire about it.

Don't they have a similar version of this at Gamestop for $25? It was in the forums a few months back, this was not a clearance but a every day thing.

[quote name='dwsscs']Don't they have a similar version of this at Gamestop for $25? It was in the forums a few months back, this was not a clearance but a every day thing.[/quote]

That was a huge shaq-fu-up, since it was supposed to be the newer, smaller version at that price. A few very lucky people managed to get it at that price, most didn't.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='dwsscs']Don't they have a similar version of this at Gamestop for $25? It was in the forums a few months back, this was not a clearance but a every day thing.[/quote]

That was a huge shaq-fu-up, since it was supposed to be the newer, smaller version at that price. A few very lucky people managed to get it at that price, most didn't.[/quote]

I still see these at Gamestops! I didn't relize it was a screw up, and they are still at the low price.

bread's done
Back