• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:45 AM

He will be an upcoming CAGcast guest.

Questions can be about 1UP/UGO, game reviewing, game journalism, beard maintenance or anything!

Edited by CheapyD, 13 January 2009 - 06:51 AM.

#2 Jruth

Jruth

No trite shit crew gamer bro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:51 AM

After your release of 1Up. CAG Writer????

Haven't you figured it out yet fanboys? Your mommy can't afford both consoles! Be grateful with what you got and shut the Fuck up.

- starving African bro

#3 Treehouse Gamer

Treehouse Gamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:15 AM

Does South Africa have a different grade scale than America (i.e. an A+ there is actually around a B here)?
Mr. House
CAG Foreplay's PC guy
Posted Image
Currently playing: League of Legends

Pile of Shame: Ouch.

On Order: Nothing. Really.

#4 pelf21

pelf21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

Just wanted to say that you were great on 1up Fm, and looking forward to more Rebel Fm shows in the future....

What games are you most looking forward to in 09?

#5 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:41 AM

What is the craziest story you have heard about Shane Bettenhausen?

"It’s so much easier for kids to jerk off than it used to be. When I was young, you had to find the Sears catalog, flip to the lingerie section… Now, with the Internet, I just turn on my computer, get online and go right to sears.com."

#6 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:51 AM

How badly do most people want to slap Shane Bettenhausen?

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-The Office season 8
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#7 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

Now that you are unemployed in this harsh economic climate, does your opinion of the epic battle between bread and meat now include the price factor?

Did the decision to continue the backlog segment for Rebel FM hinge on not needing to buy new $60 games to keep it going?

Is it true that Ziff had secrity guards outside of the 1up offices as you guys were gathering your things and leaving? Was that just an awkward sight for the editors to see on their way out of the offices after losing your jobs?

On a scale from 1 to 10, with one being minor inconvenience and ten being that the world might as well have blown up, how has the start of 2009 been for you?

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 13 January 2009 - 11:41 PM.

#8 TC

TC

Better w/o Kinect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:27 AM

How annoying was it dealing with Shane Bettenhausen and his Sony fixation?

#9 krazy14kraz

krazy14kraz

www.thatgamingsite.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

I'm sort of new to writing and I've just started to write my own blog and write for ThatGamingSite.com. I really want to pursue a career in some form of writing or journalism. Do you have any tips for a young lad like me (I'm 16). By the way, I'm sorry about what happened to you, wish you the best of luck for your future endeavors.

#10 aihuman

aihuman

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

Does your beard have supernatural powers?
Posted Image

#11 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

Why did you give both Turok and Mercenaries 2 favorable scores?

Krumm_walk.gifOblina_walk.gifIckus_walk.gif

I'm looking for SNES games. PM me.

#12 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

Do you think the possibility of Disney buying EA is a good thing or a bad thing?

Personally I think it would be a positive if only to raise the chances of seeing Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem in Rock Band. :)

#13 F8X

F8X

CAG app for the Android!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

Why would UGO buy 1up and then fire (arguably) its most popular division, media/podcasting?

464374.png

#14 bjkrautk

bjkrautk

Now with Added Sarcasm.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Given your love for all things Pixel Junk, have you sent a resume to Q-Games yet?

What stretched your game dollar further: CAG, or having access to the 1UP Library?

Are there any games that you feel you would have played differently if you were not reviewing it? (I'm thinking back to the Assassin's Creed / PA debate, if that helps remind you of any.)

Best of Luck, Nick (looking forward to tomorrow's Rebel FM already).

#15 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

How did you break into the gaming industry? What got you started? Any tips for us up and coming wanna be video game journalists?

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#16 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

What is your favorite color?
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#17 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

How come the majority of game journalists look like homeless people and has that made the transition to unemployment easier?

#18 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

There's little doubt that print media is facing extinction, and that's only going to increase competition for the few desirable paid positions as a member of the "gaming media." How do you plan on staying in an industry that's finding, and will continue to find, more and more people competing for fewer and fewer positions?
Posted Image

#19 eliter1

eliter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

There are a lot of people that want to become video game journalists nowadays. I am not one of those persons myself but do you think there is room for more? Look at all the "Big" companies out there. 1up/UGO, IGN, Gamespot, etc and then there are people that start their own site after leaving or getting fired like Giant Bomb and Player One Podcast and now you guys with Rebel FM and geekbox. Cheapy even said in one of his E3 podcasts that he didnt' feel obligated to cover E3 because there is an immense number of media already out there. Are we coming to a point where we have too many people that want to become video game journalists? Do you think that some of those people should think about a different career?
Best of luck in the future!!!
Posted Image

#20 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

If I never read the 1UP site or never listened/watched a 1UP podcast, tell me why I would like the stuff you've started with Rebel FM, etc.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#21 XTommyDonX

XTommyDonX

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hey Nick,

Which do you think is going to be a more difficult task, keeping the former 1Up staff together to continue on with Rebel FM, or bringing your former listenership with you to the new podcast? It seems that many former 1Up Yours/1Up FM listeners are still unaware of what Rebel FM is because of the lack of 1Up's popularity and promotion. In addition, do the former members of 1Up still want to continue to be part of the gaming industry or are some thinking of moving on?

Good luck with the new show, the 1Up programs were some of my favorite podcasts.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Marconi88

Marconi88

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Nick,

Now that you have been let go by 1up (sorry to hear that) have you taken anytime to consider making a career change? I understand you love games and want to write about game, the industry and culture but is there any chance of you doing something else? If so what would that be?

#23 sj41

sj41

That's Bitchin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

How come the majority of game journalists look like homeless people and has that made the transition to unemployment easier?

:rofl:

Are you interested in getting some other guys together and starting your own website, like Giant Bomb?

#24 peteyrose

peteyrose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

Is it true that Ziff had secrity guards outside of the 1up offices as you guys were gathering your things and leaving?

That was confirmed to be true by a 1up guy on this week's Player One Podcast episode.

Question for Nick:
Your former 1upShow buddies at Talkingorange have been very transparent about how much money has been donated and what they're going to use it on. Why is Rebel FM refusing to disclose how much money they received, and don't you think that's a slap to the face for us who have donated?

#25 DesertEagleXIX

DesertEagleXIX

Semper Economus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:08 AM

- How have your PR contacts responded?

- Over the past few years, we've seen movie criticism fall by the wayside; moving from Pauline Kael to Roger Ebert, now to Ben Lyons. Do you expect a similar slide in the quality of game journalism?

- Have you ever second-guessed a review score?
Posted Image
www.tech-gaming.com

#26 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

Whats the next step for you man?
Insert clever line here......

#27 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

Why did you tell me to buy Undertow? I got that game for free and I feel ripped off.

#28 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

Why does everyone call you Dick Buttner?

Posted Image

#29 MusicNoteLess

MusicNoteLess

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:33 AM

Why did you take me off your XBL friend's list? What did I ever do to you? :(

#30 Arikado

Arikado

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:38 AM

Why did you take me off your Xbox Live friends list? And why did you try to cover it up by saying I changed my tag?
Posted Image