Photo
- - - - -

Post a question for Nick Suttner (ex-1UP guy), to be answered on the CAGcast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#31 weevles

weevles

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

Did you or anyone on staff have any forewarning/foreshadowing of this taking place beyond the general public knowledge that Ziff Davis was having financial difficulties?

Is it "sabbatical" time for you as far as the game industry goes? I can't imagine there being any job fairs, let alone positions open for laid off game journalists, print or Internet in this terrible economy.

If you did need to find a job outside of the game industry, where would you see yourself, and where do you think you'll be one year from now?

#32 Ugamer_X

Ugamer_X

You can trust me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

Why are you passed out in Casey's signature?

Also, why did you take me off of your friends list? Taking some tips from Shrike?

#33 Sgt.Seedy

Sgt.Seedy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

Do you read comics? If so, what do you read? Also, Marvel vs DC?

#34 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

If you could enlighten us fans who wonder, will Shane join Che Chou, Luke Smith, and Jeff Green as someone who transitioned from games journalism to the games industry? If you cannot answer that question, then, is working directly in the games industry the big goal for all games journalists? Is that your goal?

Thanks, and good luck.

#35 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

Why did EGM basically disintegrate in terms of size over the years? Issues from years ago were much larger and had much more content. I understand that you hadn't been there from those days, but people working there had no at least recognize that the magazine shrunk considerably the past few years -- but why?
[cp][/cp]

#36 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:37 AM

I assume EGM shrinking was due to cost, bseb2003. Every letter, and page, matters in the cost of printed media.

#37 TC

TC

Better w/o Kinect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:27 AM

How come the majority of game journalists look like homeless people and has that made the transition to unemployment easier?

:applause: Now that is a classic CAG question right there! I love it. Good thing Nick seems like he has a good sense of humor.

#38 Treehouse Gamer

Treehouse Gamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

I assume EGM shrinking was due to cost, bseb2003. Every letter, and page, matters in the cost of printed media.

Theoretically, that would be countered with a proportionate number of ad space.

Also, the shift from gaming news/previews/reviews to feature articles due to the popularity of this whole internet thing. Why spend more money printing out previews for dozens of games when the circ pales in comparison to the hits that a website gets? As more feature articles are published, the man hours (or "manwidth") becomes limited.

So instead of 400 page tomes filled with tons of preview blurbs and reviews, we get 130 page magazines filled with awesome editorial content.
Mr. House
CAG Foreplay's PC guy
Posted Image
Currently playing: League of Legends

Pile of Shame: Ouch.

On Order: Nothing. Really.

#39 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

Theoretically, that would be countered with a proportionate number of ad space.

Also, the shift from gaming news/previews/reviews to feature articles due to the popularity of this whole internet thing. Why spend more money printing out previews for dozens of games when the circ pales in comparison to the hits that a website gets? As more feature articles are published, the man hours (or "manwidth") becomes limited.

So instead of 400 page tomes filled with tons of preview blurbs and reviews, we get 130 page magazines filled with awesome editorial content.

True, true. Note, though, that recent years EGMs have been filled with ads. If ads aren't helping, then something has to go, and that would explain the loss of content.

In any event, I blame the Internet. :-(

Ah yes, Nick, have you ever dressed up as Jesus for Halloween? If so, how many followers did you gather? ;)