Worst Online Game Retailer 2008

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Using the above polling system, please vote for Worst Online Retailer.
This award goes to the Online Retailer that, in your opinion, sucked the most in 2008.

Last year's winner:
Worst Online Game Retailer: EB Games.com / GameStop.com

Now the circle is complete. After winning Best Online Game Retailer three years in a row, EBgames.com (and GameStop.com) has gone from first to worst, picking up both Worst Retailer awards in the 4th and 5th Annual Cheapy Awards. After GameStop acquired EB Games, EB's website became a mirror image of GameStop.com, losing all the great deals they once provided. GameStop/EB recently announced some upcoming changes to their websites, which will hopefully help them break this cycle of shame. Unfortunately, it looks like used game listings still will not state if case and manuals are included. Only time will tell if GameStop/EB can pull themselves out of the gutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
EB Games/Gamestop.com
They did change for the better and it looks like they are starting to finally get it..but no, they still overall suck.

EB/Gamestop

Nobody likes the possibility of disc only games in shitty condition. Stop taking in shitty condition games and guarantee case/manual.

fye.com - a package came opened with no contents and they told me to file a claim with the post office as they weren't responsible. fuck u fye.
stootsi.com - for their complete joke of the mystery box sale and the subsequent lack of customer service and cancelled orders. fuck stootsi.

Gamestop.com for shipping damaged Collectors Edition items because they couldn't bother to ship it in a box instead of an envelope despite the fact that they charged extra fees for shipping due to the size of the product! Also, they added extra charges after I had already agreed and ordered at a lower price. Also, they lied to me about when I would get the bonus items & then tried to charge extra without me knowing if I had not checked.

Gamestop for canceling the promotional materials without warning. You would think that pre-ordering 1 month early would be long enough... In particular: the Mirror's Edge tote bag.

"So I get to pay full price AND I don't get any swag?"

Gamestop.com a lack of good deals and they always send me used games out of the case without instructions not a good company at all.

EB/Gamestop.com for the no guarantee on complete games. That and their online checkout breaking half of the time.

gamestop (for first time I ordered 3 games from this bastards, and all the games that they sent were unplayable.)

Xbox Live Marketplace. I'm choosing them due to their points system, that forces you to have left over points when then compells you to try and spend more so that your left over points don't go to waste. I think the market place needs to deal in dollars. Straight purchase amounts.

TRU. Their site design is horrible. They even redesigned it to make it easier, but it turned out worse. At least Gamestop/EB Games' site is actually usable.

All I can say this year is I'm glad not to have used Toys R' Us based on the stories.

I'm actually going to say Best Buy based on my experiences. My Halo 3 Limited Edition game came looking like crap and shipping is generally very slow.

Circuitcity.com

No matter what you order, they always display the contents on the outside of your package. My family bought a Blu-Ray player. They shipped it in the player's actual box. I bought a DS game from them, they placed an item description sticker on the bubble wrap. Then if you have to return it to a B&M store, they don't reimburse you for shipping! "Sorry, even though we mailed you the wrong item, you still have to pay for it." Give me a break.

Though EB/GS seems to be a clear favorite for this category, I didn't browse them much this year so instead my nomination go towards Target.com. Its not the lack of deals, its the lack of having an online store. With competitors like Wal-Mart and Bestbuy putting heavy emphasis on online shopping now to go along with B&M shopping, Target doesn't seem to get the memo that the online shopping crowd is growing. They never have much to offer on their site, and I personally have never seen a Target sale online for video games at their own site.

Get with the 2000s Target, I dont shop in store much anymore.

Gamestop for screwing me on the Fallout 3 preorder bonus. Love the b&m store, but I'm done with ordering from their website.

TRU. Terrible, confusing checkout process that only works a fraction of the time, and that's when the stuff is in stock, which is way after it says it's supposed to be.

bread's done
Back