Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - Coming September 22nd (9-22-09)

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
Opening Movie:
[youtube]1CsXT65UuXI[/youtube]

Debut Trailer:
[youtube]x5BKve5IPh0[/youtube]

Changelog:

• All animation sequences will be remade by the Kamikaze Douga studio. There's also going to be some new scenes as well.
  • The BGM of the original will be rearranged by Shoji Meguro, with backup vocals done by Yumi Kawamura.
  • Revamped interface to make use of the 16:9 widescreen support.
  • The scenario is fully intact, with additional dungeon floors for both the main story line and the Snow Queen Chapter. There's also going to be more puzzles in the dungeons.
  • Encounter rate has been revised for balanced gameplay, and there's now an option to set the difficulty level of the game.
  • Battle animations can be skipped, battle load times have been reduced by 2/3 the rate of the original.
  • More save points have been included, plus a quicksave function.
  • New pre-rendered map of the town, without any random enemy encounters.
QJ.net - Source

Persona, which was leaked by GameWave magazine few weeks earlier, is said to be a “complete remake” of the 13-year-old PSOne game and will be out in Japan on April 29. Among the improvements made are lots of new movies by Kamikaze Douga, three difficulty options (Normal, Beginner and Expert), more save points, enemies encounters and game balance adjustments.
Confirmed - Source

The Persona franchise has never been hotter. The incredible success of Persona 3 and 4 on PlayStation 2 has propelled the series into the limelight. Atlus may be revisiting some of the earlier Persona games, according to a report by Play Online. They claim that Hong Kong magazine GameWave notes a Persona release for PSP on its cover (pictured).

The PSP game is supposedly based on the original Persona, which released on PlayStation 1, released in 1996. Whether or not this will be a full remake or an enhanced port is unclear. However, until Atlus officially announces the game, we're going to classify this as a rumor.
Rumor - Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.... I'd be interested in this. I'd like to get Persona 3 or 4 on the PSP. I don't play console RPGs anymore because I don't have the time but I can spread out an RPG on the shitter over several months no problem.

GameWave did prove themselves reliable with the Disgaea 2 and Gundam reveal, and that was just a ho-hum entry on a release list, so I'd imagine that they must be pretty confident in their sources if they put the news on the cover. If it is the original Persona, then it's more likely going to be a remake since the original Persona hasn't aged nearly as well as the Persona 2 games. Hopefully it will get a localization since Atlus butchered the original game when bringing that over. With some necessary improvements and a new translation, it might be something worth playing.

More info from 1UP-shell:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172299

GameWave claims the remake releases in Japan on April 30 for 5,040 yen, and will feature all-new characters and scenarios. Considering the magazine's reputation for PSP news leaks, we'd call the info solid; expect an official Japanese announcement soon.

If this is true, and added with all the other releases that are coming out, 2009 is going to be an amazing year for the PSP.

I think a VP Lenneth type of port would be great (true 16:9 support, some added FMVs or something). But hopefully they give it a budget price tag.

[quote name='SynGamer']If it's a remake, i'll be happy, but if it's a port of the original, i'll pass.[/quote]

A remake is always better, but I'd be fine if they ported it and actually fixed all the shit they raped in the original playstation localization.

Well since the rumor was in a Japanese magazine, it should be the original by their standards so naturally if it ever comes stateside, they would just translate it.

I thought there was supposed to be an original Persona spinoff in development for PSP. Well, I guess since I haven't played Revelations, it's new to me.

[quote name='javeryh']but I can spread out an RPG on the shitter over several months no problem.[/quote]

:lol: Ironically, I do the same thing!

[quote name='rodeojones903']Holy shit! I might buy a PSP game this year when it hits $20![/QUOTE]

my viewpoint is slightly amended from yours.

I hope they at least fix the major problems with that game. I played Revelations about a year ago, it didn't stood well against the test of time. There was a lot of problems with that game such as localization, missing Snow Queen quest, jagged visuals, concept of capturing Persona, and most importantly, lack of save points. A lot of stages was missing save points near boss. You better hope you win or else you have to start all over .

Good news everyone! Persona refers to Persona as a remake, and they announced a Growlanser port for the PSP.
http://www.psphyper.com/psp/atlus-to-announce-persona-growlanser-for-psp/

The upcoming issue of Weekly Famitsu, which went on sale in some parts of Japan already, has two new PSP games from Atlus. Persona, which was leaked by GameWave magazine few weeks earlier, is said to be a “complete remake” of the 13-year-old PSOne game and will be out in Japan on April 29. Among the improvements made are lots of new movie, difficulty options, more save points and game balance adjustments. On the other hand, Growlanser will be a port of a 10-year-old RPG with new characters and routes. There will be adjustments to the battle tempo too, the release date is May 14 in Japan.

Just saw the scans for this and the Growlanser port. Shame this is going to take almost a year to get to here, because they look rad.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Good news everyone! Persona refers to Persona as a remake, and they announced a Growlanser port for the PSP.
http://www.psphyper.com/psp/atlus-to-announce-persona-growlanser-for-psp/[/QUOTE]

I don't know where the fuck they're getting "remake" from in this article because it's clearly a port with enhancements. The only differences announced thus far are new cutscenes and a new UI. The graphics, dungeons, characters, etc, etc are all the exact same. Still can't fucking wait for this.

[quote name='fatbeer']I hope they at least fix the major problems with that game. I played Revelations about a year ago, it didn't stood well against the test of time. There was a lot of problems with that game such as localization, missing Snow Queen quest, jagged visuals, concept of capturing Persona, and most importantly, lack of save points. A lot of stages was missing save points near boss. You better hope you win or else you have to start all over .[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I didn't think the first Persona was a good game... So unless this game is getting a major overhaul I really don't want anything to do with it.

[quote name='daschrier']I hope dungeons will stay first person.[/QUOTE]

They are. Here are larger scans of the same ones Cao Cao linked to, you can clearly see they are first person.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/persona/personapsp/propaganda/personapsppropaganda020409-1.html

Again people, this is an enhanced port, not a remake. However, if we get it over here, the game will be a million times better than the original PSone version due to an acceptable translation, no censors, and the addition of the quests removed from the original NA Psone release.

EDIT: Also there is going to be completely redone soundtrack by Meguro and difficulty levels.
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2009/020409a.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the gameplay of the first remains in tact.

I have a PSOne copy hanging around somewhere. I should probably give it a whirl.

Omg, Mark is white again! Let's see how long that stays when it's come to U.S.

It looks like the mapping interface is much better with color layouts, the graphics are slightly improve ,and they added more cg. It seems like they stuck with combat formation from Revelations. I hate combat formation. Most of time I find my melee characters doing nothing, since their range is really limited.

Added the debut trailer (Japanese) to the OP. Personally, it isn't really piquing my interest. Looks like a glorified PS1 game (graphics wise) with better CGI...i'll stick to Persona 4 :)

I'm hoping the chances of this seeing a US release are very likely. I'm banking on it - put my Persona 1 copy on eBay, might not get $100 or more because of the lame stickers and some scratchs thanks to Gameslop, but if I get atleast $50 I'll be happy and put it towards a PSP version even though I don't own a PSP currently :p

Atlus just announced Shin Megami Tensei: Persona for North America.

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - FEBRUARY 24, 2009 - Atlus U.S.A., Inc, today announced that Shin Megami Tensei: Persona for PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, a remake of the first entry in the critically-acclaimed RPG series, will be released in North America within the calendar year. SMT: Persona stands as a proud relaunch for the award-winning series, featuring a completely redone localization and content never before seen in North America. Combined with gameplay enhancements and additions new to the remake, fans will have the chance to experience the first Persona game released in North America in a whole new way. Those looking to see the original epic in a whole new light, those who missed out the first time around, and even those PSP system owners who crave a marquee RPG: that which you seek is approaching.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona is currently scheduled to release this fall.

6a00bf76d0a9b7438300e398a84d4f0002-500pi

Now Atlus just please announce that you're bringing Growlanser 1 over to the U.S. and then my PSP will become my favorite console. I love Atlus!!

I'm still hoping for a budget pricing... come on $30 price tag. I'm broke as it is, I'm really not sure I'd buy this since I already have Persona on the PS1. But those upgrades sound pretty good.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Glad I got rid of my PS1 version for $91. Course now I gota get a PSP down the road.[/quote]
As soon as I heard this news a few weeks ago I immediatly sold mine but mine went for $180

I'm so glad that we're getting this in just a few months. Trying to find the first game at a reasonable price is near-impossible. Though it will definitely be a blessing to play it with improvements, new translations, and the Snow Queen quest intact.

[quote name='Yuyama']I'm so glad that we're getting this in just a few months. Trying to find the first game at a reasonable price is near-impossible. Though it will definitely be a blessing to play it with improvements, new translations, and the Snow Queen quest intact.[/quote]
Also with the addition of more save points being the biggest improvent in my opinion considering how very few were available in the original.

[quote name='blumpies5']Also with the addition of more save points being the biggest improvent in my opinion considering how very few were available in the original.[/quote]

Definitely. There's nothing worse than progressing so far into a dungeon only to die and have to start over due to sparse save points.

i actually had an original copy of the original...i think i was too young to really appriciate it, upon revisiting it a few years , it was awesome! a great game with a much different atmosphere than p3 or p4...dang, just another reason to buy a psp again >_

bread's done
Back