CAGcast #147: The Airing of the Grievances

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#91 JIGSAWjr

JIGSAWjr

Ill Type Cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:11 AM

Hey Cheapy, what's good man? First time posting in your podcast threads, but been listening for a while.

Anyway, I have got to say, don't stress haters and people coming up with some stupid bullshit over the internet. They make fun of you because they envy you, simple as that.

Instead of being happy for CAG, as they should be, they decide to hate and and things of the sort but who cares. Whoever did that isn't running one of the best sites on the net.:)
XBL Gamertag: JIGSAWjr
PSN id: JIGSAWjr

Join Cash Crate guys! It's legit. Get free money for taking surveys!
Click the banner.

Posted Image

#92 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:43 AM

Didn't realize someone could be so inconsiderate over so many job losses, especially in an economy such as ours. I don't know why anyone would want a company like Circuit City to go out of business it just doesn't do anyone any good. Best Buy practicly has a monopoly on the niche of big box electronics stores now, in fact I would go as far as to say that they do. Their only competition is some Fry's stores, some mom and pop shops, and internet shopping. So yeah let's all give a big hooray, we don't have to worry about Circuit City anymore (the company which almost always undercut Best Buy in pricing and actually had clearance titiles).

Sac, don't be so sensitive, or did you work for CC? Once you have worked 1 retail job you have worked them all, and they all suck. Stocking shelves and ringing register isn't that complicated and I'm sure CC employees will find other retail jobs. Do you remember nobody beats the Wiz?
Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon

#93 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:37 AM

Ok, so i got through only about 30 minutes of the Cast so far, but listening to Wombat and Cheapy mention Rusty's treatment over at the GamesBlog gave me an idea (that probably won't come true.) Why don't you guys have him on the show for an interview? I mean, the Nick Suttner interview got a mixed reaction, and a lot of it seemed to be because everyone and their mothersare feeling sorry for the 1UP/EGM guys that got fired. That it wasn't anything that was really special and unique to the CAGcast. But what about the complete other side of the spectrum? How does a currently still employed UGO games writer feel about this whole thing? Obviously. Rusty has to have some opinions, feelings, and possibly concerns about the whole thing. What's to say that UGO won't just decide to get rid of the Games Blog, along with Rusty and whoever else contributes, and just let 1UP do everything? I think it could make for a decent interview if it were to happen and the right questions were asked.

11317.png

#94 H.Cornerstone

H.Cornerstone

LaserCannonDethSentence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

Where is Wombat's Dark Knight ending?

#95 BrokenBeat

BrokenBeat

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:06 AM

Great show CheapyD and Wombat,Nice to listen to a regular cagcast again,No interviews or Shipwrecks.

#96 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

Sac, don't be so sensitive, or did you work for CC? Once you have worked 1 retail job you have worked them all, and they all suck. Stocking shelves and ringing register isn't that complicated and I'm sure CC employees will find other retail jobs. Do you remember nobody beats the Wiz?

Clearly somebody beat the wiz.

#97 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

Here is the commercial Wombat was talking about that Cheapy did not believe existed: commercial

Also, Rich Cronin was on Howard Stern today (Click on Wed. Show and he is the second paragraph in) and he was number one search on google trends today. Irrelevant still Wombat?

This is actually the newest one. This series of commercials has been going for 2 years now. There was even one when fan watching Payton Manning followed the cord from the camera all the way to the TV in the store.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#98 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:03 AM

Wombat way to mention the "Wii" franchise and Cheapy thanks for mentioning the gametz thread you know I was the one who brought that up over here.

Great show again guys, how about another contest?

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#99 oscillate

oscillate

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

You guys talked about the PS3 having a 10 year lifespan, but why do you assume there wont be another Sony system before the PS3 dies? The PS1 had a lifespan of around 10 years ('95-'06) and the PS2 is reaching its 10 year anniversary soon. Each of these systems had their replacements arrive within the normal console lifespan period.

Now thats out of the way; awesome show guys. Been listening for a few years now but just recently got on the boards.

#100 Dr Killotron

Dr Killotron

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

Although the content on Stern may be more original, funnier (to some) and thought provoking, Wombat is right in saying that Leno is more relevant to the world at large today.

Leno has a larger audience and reaches more people, either through direct viewings or second hand exposure, than other media that cover the same subjects. This is mostly through the lack of effort required to watch it and its social safety when talking about it in mixed company (even my mother knows who John Melendez is now). In the same way, more people will know what Charlie Sheen is up to in Two and A Half Men then will know the latest fate of Don Draper. Lowest common denominator wins again.

#101 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Wombat made some good points today.

1.) Wii is like ATari 2600. And kind of like the NES. And that was Nintendo's goal. To bring games to the days when they were more mainstream like when the arcades were full of Pac-Man and Asteroids and Space Invaders. And yep my Dad bought us an Atari 2600 (w/Combat included) and he played it even though he was in his 30s and didn't grow up with games.

2.) Wii consumers have higher IQs than previously thought. Yep the ignorant Wii consumer was always a myth. The "core" gaming media had to make up something to rationalize Wii sales and this was one of those lies that got them sleep at night. I actually think "core" gamers are often the least picky. They may know the good games, but they seem to purchase most everything anyway and pre-order games months before they come out after blowing their load over a single screenshot.

3.) Sony marketing is atrocious. Great examples and so very true. Sony should be hammering home the benefits of their console. Reliability. Sexiness. Free online play. BR. Internet. Wi-fi. Quiet operation. ability to add extra hard drive. home media benefits. etc. I haven't seen one commerical hammering these points home.

4.) Howard Stern is irrelevant. I hate to say it, but I have to agree with Wombat. Stern may do a great show, but if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it then did it fall? Stern should put his show on iTunes. Sirius could be for those wanting to hear it live.

5) Games journalism is Consumer journalism. Another good point.

What I disagree with is that the Wii is any danger of crashing like the 2600 did and that's because, as Cheapy pointed out, Nintendo is also a software developer. And one of the biggest if not the biggest software developer/publisher in the world. They also, in general, put out high quality product. 8 of the top 13 best selling games in December were developed by Nintendo. I think for this reason the Wii isn't in danger of crashing like the 2600 did. Nintendo does enough to support their console no matter how many crappy 3rd party releases see the light of day.

Edited by trip1eX, 22 January 2009 - 04:37 PM.

#102 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

As a listener implied, show length is more irrelevant in the podcast era. One can skip any portion of a podcast they don't want to listen to and one can pause it and listen to it anytime they want.

btw, for podcast listening the skip to the next song button should be a 30-second skip and the skip to the last song button should take you backward 8 seconds ala Tivo. A simple software fix that recognizes when you are in the podcast folder and changes the function of those 2 buttons is all Apple would have to do to make this happen.

Edited by trip1eX, 22 January 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#103 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

Please Wombat, don't knock Howard Stern on the CAGcast. i love his show and it's still hilarious. ex: his Paul Mcartney interview last week was fantastic. as for relevance, the media still pulls clips from his interviews and mentions him all the time. btw, his show helped Artie get his book to #1. as for Jay Leno, he may be more relevant but that doesn't mean he's good. Letterman and Conan are so much more funnier and they have lower ratings. anyways, i gotta have my Stern! :)

as for the show length discussion, i understand. but i like this week's length, 2 hours is just about right. ^_^

btw Cheapy, i beta tested Amplitude at Harmonix way back. ;)

Edited by LiK, 22 January 2009 - 05:12 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#104 SOG Hollywood

SOG Hollywood

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

I just registered to say a few things.

For a site that works hard to provide the best deals for users, it sure takes alot of heat. Cheapy and Wombat are under constant fire from angry, demanding and ungrateful babies. I enjoy the podcast and respect how Cheapy and Wombat both seem to have endless patience for the idiotic people that blame them for things that aren't even under their control. Seriously, Cheapy you rival Job in the way you can keep calm and explain things to people that hit the roof over the smallest things. Keep it up, your both doing a fantastic job.

- SOG Hollywood

#105 StinkyCheese

StinkyCheese

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

loved the freudian slip when wombat almost said transgender :lol:
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=3041#comments"][/URL]

#106 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

I have to say it, the Howard Stern thing has gone too far now. Truth be told I could care less about the topic, but Cheapy loves Stern so much I just had to bring it up. He gets so worked up about it, it cracks me up. He gets all flustered and defensive as if I was insulting him personally, it really is comedy gold.

#107 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

I have to say it, the Howard Stern thing has gone too far now. Truth be told I could care less about the topic, but Cheapy loves Stern so much I just had to bring it up. He gets so worked up about it, it cracks me up. He gets all flustered and defensive as if I was insulting him personally, it really is comedy gold.

we're just passionate about the show. hell, i'll defend a podcast that i love if someone craps on that too. you have no idea how often i would defend the CAGcast in other forums. ;)
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#108 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

You guys talked about the PS3 having a 10 year lifespan, but why do you assume there wont be another Sony system before the PS3 dies? The PS1 had a lifespan of around 10 years ('95-'06) and the PS2 is reaching its 10 year anniversary soon. Each of these systems had their replacements arrive within the normal console lifespan period.

Good point. Also, it's worth adding that, even though SONY launches new consoles that overlap with the lifespan of previous ones, they continue to maintain support for the old ones. Heck, look at the demand for PSOne titles to appear on PSN! Meanwhile, Microsoft dropped the XBox like a bad habit, despite the fact that lots of people had no intention of shelving theirs.

I felt pretty burned when Microsoft jumped ship from the original XBox, and then hastily launched the 360 despite the massive hardware issues; and this is the main reason why the PS3 was the safest purchase for me, even at the higher price point.

#109 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

I like the temporary blue laser light trail in Dead Space more than the golden crumb trail in Fable2 because you could easily call it up with a button press whenever you got lost. It lasted a few seconds and then it was gone until you called it up again. It didn't hang around and it didn't require a pause the game/menu function to get rid of it.

btw, isn't this "trail" stuff in open world games an oxymoron.

And what did you guys (Wombat and Cheapie) do in Fallout 3? I havne't played that, but I did play Oblivion some. There's no bread trail there is there? You have the map warping. Was that enough?

#110 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

I like the temporary blue laser light trail in Dead Space more than the golden crumb trail in Fable2 because you could easily call it up with a button press whenever you got lost. It lasted a few seconds and then it was gone until you called it up again. It didn't hang around and it didn't require a pause the game/menu function to get rid of it.

btw, isn't this "trail" stuff in open world games an oxymoron.

And what did you guys (Wombat and Cheapie) do in Fallout 3? I havne't played that, but I did play Oblivion some. There's no bread trail there is there? You have the map warping. Was that enough?

i agree, i like the way Dead Space used the trail. it was really well done and i liked how they auto centered you towards the location as well.

in F3, they have a marker in the compass that directs you where to go. just like Oblivion, the map warping only works if you discovered previous locations and many ground level locations force you to go through very long maze-like subway tunnels to reach your destination.

Wombat, you're right, Alex Navarro works at Harmonix now. and GiantBomb was actually created by Jeff and Ryan themselves. I'm sure another company is helping them financially but from what i read and heard, it was created by them. they had a short-lived podcast to air their opinions which transformed to the GB podcast later. Brad and Vinny left GS much later to join GB when it was finally established. correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by LiK, 22 January 2009 - 07:42 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#111 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

howard stern hasnt been interesting or relevant since the 90s and why anyone would pay to hear him say and do the same shit over and over is unbelivable.

im not surprised more people arent interested in the gta4 360 dlc. why would you want to play as a biker gang you spend a piece of the game kicking around like bitches? if anything they should have done something with a character from a past gta game or have dlc of past gta areas ( like vice city or san andreas) all redone with gta 4 graphics. more weapons and vehicles would have been nice especialy if they were usable in multiplayer. of course me personaly a zombie game would have been a must but if i had a 360. it be nice to see some dlc for the ps3 version.

#112 RudyPants

RudyPants

Zombie on my lawn!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

Great podcast this week guys.

Wombat brought up some great points about how the Wii and the Atari 2600 share a number of similarities.

It was nice to hear Wombat so fired up - in recent weeks he has been less vocal, so hearing him challenge CheapyD's Howard Stern obsession was nice to hear, regardless of one's opinion.

#113 Longshot099

Longshot099

She'll burn ya...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

It seems like the Sony "10 year cycle" was misunderstood. This doesn't mean that there will be a 10 year gap before we see the PS4. It simply means that the PS3 won't be immediately retired upon the release of the PS4. Just like how the PS2 keeps hanging around even though the PS3 is out (and doesn't appear to be done anytime soon).

Side note: Nintendo has released a new console in the U.S. every 5 years without fail: NES 1986, SNES 1991, N64 1996, GC 2001, Wii 2006. I have to imagine we see the Wii HD in 2011. Will the xbox3 and PS4 also come out in 2011?

#114 visorman30

visorman30

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

Great show.

On Pachter, even though its not his job re: accurate sales predictions, would being publicly wrong affect his credibility to his customers? I mean, if I were a potential customer and I read that he was wrong in a number of predictions, why would I bother paying for other advice from him in the videogame market? While there is an argument that "there's no such thing as bad publicity" it is also true that what someone says can affect the perception of credibility.

I guess Wedbush Morgan is not hurting so bad from his comments, otherwise they probably would have put the clamps down.

#115 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

Cheapy has a huge man-crush on Stern.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#116 tyrone hawk

tyrone hawk

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

Great show as always, Cheapy and Wombat. About the game download discussion, how about using this system for game rentals? That way instead of being suscribed to Gamefly or other outlet, you could download the game for a week (or a time you specify) and play with it. At least this would help most of us gamers who don't have a rental system available in our countries (Avatar achievements - here I come!).

As for the nominations, Cheapy, I won't put you on the Villain list, but I'm concerned about your latest choices:

* an expensive headphone for playing?? (I have the same one as you, Wombat, and I agree with you - it's great, even with the cable following me around)
* Paying a monthly fee for Sirius just to hear Howard Stern?? (c'mon buddy we're talking more than a hundred bucks a year)

Now I understand some of the messages from Cags somehow putting a doubt on their Cag master. You will have a mutiny in your hands soon and Wombat will be named Captain!!

Take care both of you.
Posted Image

#117 weevles

weevles

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I disagree with Wombat on Sony's marketing being the reason for the PS3 being where it is. Be honest with me and tell me how you're supposed to sell a $500 game console to anyone, let alone the mass market? There hasn't ever been a $500 home gaming console that became a mass market sales success. It's really the fault of whatever group of execs thought that they could sell a $500 home entertainment system based primarily on the goodwill of the PlayStation brand. Sony gambled that the PlayStation name alone would corner the existing gaming market, thought their large media arm and consumer electronics position could force BluRay into every home, and sorely underestimated the wide appeal and demand for the Wii. I'd put those factors above some lame commercials.

And as far as Kaz's cryptic 360 comment, you need to remember that from Sony's perspective and it's business goals they want and need to make a longer term investment in technology overall. PS3/BluRay was an enormous investment that has huge implications on the company as a whole. The 360 does not have this same kind of leverage on Microsoft, which is still supported heavily by the Windows product. Microsoft can bleed money on 360, release a new system every 5 or 6 years, and still make money and survive as a business. I don't think Sony can do same with PlayStation. So when you hear Kaz or any Sony exec make what most of us see as a head-scratching statement, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by gunm, 22 January 2009 - 09:29 PM.

#118 deszaras

deszaras

Wait...what?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

I enjoyed Cheapy's attempts to defend Howard Stern's relevance. It was like someone 5 years ago trying to say cassette tapes were relevant. Cheapy is the only person I've heard of that still listens to him since the mid to late 90s.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#119 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

wtf was Wombat trying to say about digital downloads? A game is longer than a movie so digital downloads aren't viable or not coming soon or ??!?!?! Wombat you were on a roll until then!!!!

All I can say is wake up. Full-sized pc games are being paid for online and downloaded onto pcs as we speak. There's Steam. There's Direct-2-Download and a few other sites including Gamestop's own site. You don't have to go to retail (B&M) to play any pc game nowadays.

Another example? The App Store and the iPhone/Touch.

Look at the direction Nintendo is preparing for with the DSi?

And of course you know about WiiWare, XBLA, and PSN. etc.

Games are going to be download-only next-gen or the gen after. The economics are just too good to pass up. Retailers don't do alot to advertise games. I go into a Target and I just see games locked behind glass cabinets. It's not like any gaming nerd, aka a CAG, needs a retailer to sell them games.

You guys are asleep at the wheel on this issue.

The only thing holding back the transition at this point in time is the percentage of consumers with a broadband connection. If these companies knew that 90% of their audience had broadband you'd see them ditch retailers quickly. IN the meantime they are forced (perhaps happily) to price digital downloads at the same price as retail less they anger the B&M retail gods which will only extend the transition period.

#120 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

[quote name='trip1eX']wtf was Wombat trying to say about digital downloads? A game is longer than a movie so digital downloads aren't viable or not coming soon or ??!?!?! Wombat you were on a roll until then!!!!
QUOTE]

you misheard me, i was referring to me personally, I don't "need" to own a movie which is why I like on-demand services. Games I want to own. My problem mostly would be storage. And the broadband issue is a good arguement. Oh and the retail lobby. Steam works because it is PC where storage is cheap and the audience is targeted. But right now you have EB refusing to stock games that require a Steam download http://www.1up.com/d...ory?cId=3172408. So it the real question is who is more powerful, the stores or the digital clients. So a complete digital marketplace is far far off. Mostly becuase the Big Box stores won't allow it. Its about business not technology. Can do and will do are two different things