CAG Health and Fitness Thread

On a video game website?! Preposterous!

Just kidding. My wife got a family membership to our healthclub, but she's the only one using it right now. I need to start taking advantage of that more. I did sign up for floor hockey, though, and we won our first game last Sunday!

2 years ago I was pretty hefty. Then I got rid of my car and relied on my mountain bike to get around (Fortunately, the Bay Area is really bike friendly unlike many parts of the United States) and I started to lose weight. Last year, I finished paying off my debts and suddenly I had some extra money lying around so I joined a gym. I'm been working out pretty steadily 3 times a week since October and I am starting to gain some slight muscle tone.

I still have some weight to lose but my goal is to look good this summer. It also involves eating a lot of salads too. I'm not really counting my calories though.

I got to start getting in the gym more. Have a Gold's membership that's been woefully under used for the past year or so. Used to get in 4 days a week consistently, but work has been hell the past year so a lot of months I'm lucky to get 2 days a week and a couple months I didn't make it at all with traveling, illnesses etc.

Thankfully I'm blessed with a good metabolism and at least have kept my diet pretty clean for the most part so I haven't put on weight. But I've lost a lot of strength on weight lifting and my endurance/cardio sucks.

Lately I've been doing better, but this week has been a wash so far.

I recently started working out and cutting down on junkfood. As someone still in high school it would be kinda pointless to go to the gym because I have no time to. What Im currently doing is besides the hour of gym 3 times a week, I go to the weights room to build strength and endurance once a week. Im 190 lbs and 5 '9 at the moment, but Im going for a 40 pound loss by april

I'm getting my personal trainer certification this year. I worked at a health club for a bit over a year and just left to work in Fire Protection. I hope to be a fire fighter in the next couple years doing personal training on the side. Got to be in top physical condition to get that job, so might as well use the know how to get paid too.

Bay Area CAGs can see me at the Oakland 24 hour fitness every other weeknight. Gather around the front for the tight t-shirt contest on Thursdays. :lol:

I can't believe how crazy crowded the gym has been since new years. I go and there are a bunch of lazy poeple sitting on the same machine, talking on their phone and boasting about how they are at the gym. I always get the guy who has the one weight I need, just holding it and flexing in the mirror for an hour.

I cannot wait until the New Years Resolution people give up and leave. It is just too crowded.

Time of day is key. I'm fortunate in that my work hours are flexible, so I usually go sometime between 9am and noon and it's usually pretty dead. If I miss the morning workout I won't go in the evening though as it's too crowded.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Time of day is key. I'm fortunate in that my work hours are flexible, so I usually go sometime between 9am and noon and it's usually pretty dead. If I miss the morning workout I won't go in the evening though as it's too crowded.[/quote]
Monday - Thursday 3-10 is just asking for a problem. It is ridiculous then. I try to steer to later at night, but I often get caught up in the crowd. :cry:

I've lost 6lbs so far. Hooray!
REALLY cut out a lot of shit. Lots of packaged shit, lots of sugar...(refined). Eating waaaay too many fruits, and veggies.

Damn this belly! It's not a pot belly, but it's enough to make me sad :(

So this is the 2009 Year to lose weight thread now?

Change the title!

I got measured the other day by holding out this squarish device with grips at the health and fitness expo the other day. The device said I was at 23.3% body fat. EEEK! :bomb::bomb::bomb:

Doesn't have to be limited to weight loss. Can keep it a general fitness thread for people who are just keeping in shape, or trying to gain weight, or train for races etc. to post in.

[quote name='ITDEFX']So this is the 2009 Year to lose weight thread now?

[/quote]

No. This is the We are already in shape and have been for some time thread. Start up a Weightloss thread.

I work at a pretty big college, so there is a decent gym on campus for much cheaper than I'd have to spend at one of the Boston-area gyms (plus the $150 rebate from my health care provider helps out a little, too). The most amusing thing about using the gym here is that you see all the students come back from winter or summer break who are determined to go to the gym more, and as the weeks go on, the place gets emptier and emptier as people give up on it.

Unless I have some major stuff going on at work, I go 4 times a week during my lunch hour, and if I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll run a mile or two in the morning, as well. My big problem is diet. I've cut out a lot of 'empty calories,' but am still in the process of learning to eat better (and slower), and snack on better things. I've shifted from cookies or some other crap to bananas and those 100-calorie snack packs instead.

I'm at 5'9, 165, and trying to drop a few pounds, since I'm not really looking to 'bulk up.' My biggest fitness achievements this year so far have been doing 2 miles in 15.5 minutes (this is good for me! I really don't run much, since it's extremely cold and snowy up here right now) and doing 235 on the bench press (though I sort of cheated by bouncing the bar off my chest a little, I think).

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

This seems like a pretty nifty tool to use as a guideline for how many calories you should take in daily to help with weight loss.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']My goal is to gain enough weight until I'm told to choke on a dick and die by somebody better than me.[/QUOTE]

:pray: May I?

I'm slightly overweight for my frame and decided to take advantage of my apartment's free exercise facilities recently. Luckily, I worked out in high school for football so I remember the basics of weight training. On top of that, I'm jogging on the treadmill. I'm looking to lose about 20 pounds of fat max, and add some muscle.

As for eating, I've recently increased my intake of water, and I'm eating subway a lot because: 5 dollar footlongs are cheap when you eat half for meals, and they provide a good mixture of nutrients (veggies, meat, dairy) if you build the sub right. If you try to get the same nutrition by buying groceries, it can get expensive.

It's awesome hearing about everyone's goals and accomplishments. For those who were speaking about the gyms being packed, it is just the New Years resolution people, and by the end of this month, a vast majority will quit. And the reason this wasn't made into a specifically weight loss thread was summarized well by dmaul1114 and layziebones. While weight loss is a big part of being healthy for some of us, others are looking to maintain weight or even gain more weight in the form of muscle to keep those metabolisms revved all day long. Keep posting everyone

I am surprised that this is working for me:
Eating TONS of fruits and vegetables. I cut down on meat, a lot. I eat chicken once in a while. Maybe 3x a week? I also have been buying REAL whole grain bread & pasta and pita breads.

My refined sugar take is amazingly low, and I've lost 9lbs so far O_O.. Oh, I also go to the gym 3x a week.

I'm def eating like 1800/2000 calories a day TOO. This is what I'm loving about it!

[quote name='lilboo']I am surprised that this is working for me:
Eating TONS of fruits and vegetables. I cut down on meat, a lot. I eat chicken once in a while. Maybe 3x a week? I also have been buying REAL whole grain bread & pasta and pita breads.

My refined sugar take is amazingly low, and I've lost 9lbs so far O_O.. Oh, I also go to the gym 3x a week.

I'm def eating like 1800/2000 calories a day TOO. This is what I'm loving about it![/QUOTE]

Pffft, girls eat that much ;) . I'm on 4000 a day, and find it hard to gain weight. Then again, I have to keep my weight within a certain range or the military gets all pissy, even if you have a low bodyfat. Since I'm scheduled for officer training, I'd rather not have to deal with that until after I'm in.

BMI is for stupid assholes.

[quote name='lilboo']I am surprised that this is working for me:

I'm def eating like 1800/2000 calories a day TOO. This is what I'm loving about it![/quote]

How do you get your protein?

I've been working out three times a week and getting better all the time. I've finally started to do 3 mile runs! It feels amazing since like a year ago I couldn't even do a few hundred yards of running. I wasn't fat- actually, I'm a little underweight- but just very out of shape. I credit it to my boyfriend who wanted me to get fit in concern for my health. We are gym buddies.

Also PROTIP: Have some sugar before a workout. My boyfriend had the idea to have a couple Lifesavers before working out and I have soooo much more energy. They're only like 45 calories for 4 of them, and I have 2-3 before a workout and I'm able to go much harder and longer. Well worth it.

Oh yeah, and free gym at the apartment + gym included with university fees = can work out whenever for free.

Durning the Summer I lost 20 pounds. >_> Once the days started getting shorter I got lazy again and quite running. In March I think I am going to pick it up again. Where I live in So Cal it rarely gets cold but the lack of daylight is killer.

[quote name='lilboo']Soy milk, chicken, beans, sometimes tuna for lunch.[/QUOTE]

Whey protein shakes wouldn't be bad to throw in their. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is the best I've found in terms of price, quality and taste. The French Vanilla Creme flavor is pretty good even when mixed just with water, and it mixes great in a shaker bottle (not gritty, no chucks of powder clumped together etc.).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Whey protein shakes wouldn't be bad to throw in their. [/quote]

Not if he is trying to lose weight. Whey is great for us, when we are supplementing muscle growth or just maintaining our body. I wouldn't advise taking whey if you are trying to lose weight. If you take Whey and aren't actually weight training, not just jogging and doing light gym work, then it is just going to add weight instead of repairing muscle.

Either get a different "Light" protein, or just eat it naturally.

Whey is pretty low calorie, it won't hurt burning fat. If anything it will help maintain muscle mass while dieting.

The best way to get rid of fat is to do cardio, diet and do weight training to try to keep muscle mass or even build a little. Muscle mass burns more calories so getting muscle mass up (or at least maintaining it) means you burn more calories a day in a resting state--which is a good thing for weight loss.

Now you definitely don't want any of those high calorie weight gaining shakes. But Whey protein is only 100 some calories, so it won't hurt anything as long as you're counting those calories toward your daily total. And you get those grams of protein for a lot less calories than you would from meat, beans etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Whey is pretty low calorie, it won't hurt burning fat. If anything it will help maintain muscle mass while dieting.

The best way to get rid of fat is to do cardio, diet and do weight training to try to keep muscle mass or even build a little. Muscle mass burns more calories so getting muscle mass up (or at least maintaining it) means you burn more calories a day in a resting state--which is a good thing for weight loss.

Now you definitely don't want any of those high calorie weight gaining shakes. But Whey protein is only 100 some calories, so it won't hurt anything as long as you're counting those calories toward your daily total. And you get those grams of protein for a lot less calories than you would from meat, beans etc.[/quote]

Well it isn't purely calories. If he is taking a powder specifically made to promote muscle growth, and he is only using toning exercises and nopt actually training, then all of that powder is going somewhere. The body will store it since it can't be used.

[quote name='Layziebones']Well it isn't purely calories. If he is taking a powder specifically made to promote muscle growth, and he is only using toning exercises and nopt actually training, then all of that powder is going somewhere. The body will store it since it can't be used.[/QUOTE]

The body stores calories--how it gets stored depends somewhat on the type of calories. Lean protein is a form that doesn't very readily get stored as fat. But as long as you eat less calories than you're burning, you're going to lose fat. Period.

In any case, if you're doing toning exercises and cardio and doing a strict diet, it's very important to get enough lean protein to maintain muscle mass--as you don't want to lose that as you'll look like shit and slow down your metabolism.

Low calorie whey protein is a good source of lean protein.

[quote name='Layziebones']Well it isn't purely calories. If he is taking a powder specifically made to promote muscle growth, and he is only using toning exercises and nopt actually training, then all of that powder is going somewhere. The body will store it since it can't be used.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I'm really confused at what you're trying to say.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I've been working out three times a week and getting better all the time. I've finally started to do 3 mile runs! It feels amazing since like a year ago I couldn't even do a few hundred yards of running. I wasn't fat- actually, I'm a little underweight- but just very out of shape. I credit it to my boyfriend who wanted me to get fit in concern for my health. We are gym buddies.

Also PROTIP: Have some sugar before a workout. My boyfriend had the idea to have a couple Lifesavers before working out and I have soooo much more energy. They're only like 45 calories for 4 of them, and I have 2-3 before a workout and I'm able to go much harder and longer. Well worth it.

Oh yeah, and free gym at the apartment + gym included with university fees = can work out whenever for free.[/quote]

Are you taking pictures/ measurements and keeping a log about this? I do it every 3 months.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']My goal is to gain enough weight until I'm told to choke on a dick and die by somebody better than me.[/quote]

Man FOC, your nasty.

Reality's Fringe;5410164]I'm sorry said:
He's trying to say that if you take in protein and don't weight train it will get stored as fat.

And that's not the case. What gets stored as fat is calories you take in in excess of the amount of calories you burn. Protein won't get stored as fat if you're burning more calories than you take in.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The body stores calories--how it gets stored depends somewhat on the type of calories. Lean protein is a form that doesn't very readily get stored as fat. But as long as you eat less calories than you're burning, you're going to lose fat. Period.

In any case, if you're doing toning exercises and cardio and doing a strict diet, it's very important to get enough lean protein to maintain muscle mass--as you don't want to lose that as you'll look like shit and slow down your metabolism.

Low calorie whey protein is a good source of lean protein.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I've really got to say this:

any of the three macronutrients will be stored as fat IF they are not being utilized. There's no such thing as LEAN protein dietary protein is dietary protein. Now, there are different grades in the bio-availability department (ie. Egg white albumen is more easily digested than meat, and why is more easily digested than egg whites), but protein is protein and it's used by the body to maintain a positive nitrogen balance which, if you have and under the condition of proper resistance training, will facilitate muscle growth.
Now, if you're saying "lean" as in you're not eating a bigmac or something, then yes, I agree, but that's more of a "dirty" FOOD in general.

As for the assertion that you'll burn fat in a caloric deficit, this is true, HOWEVER, after a certain point your body starts going for the tissue that uses the most energy: Muscle. This is why dieting almost always causes a loss in strength. When a bodybuilder "cuts", he expects to lose a certain amount of lean mass and strength. If your bodyfat is low (sub 12), the loss in lean mass becomes even more pronounced. This is why if you're fat and weak, after some time dieting and training you'll have some new muscle and be thinner. This doesn't last forever.

If you're dieting down, the best bet is to eat 100-200 calories less than you normally do a day, and adjust if you're losing more than 2lbs a week (after you lose water weight and excess glycogen stores). This is the best way to make sure you don't cut off a ton of lean mass. It's slower, but it'll be better in the end. Scale back on simple carbohydrates and fats, and you'll see a huge difference.

Reality's Fringe;5410220]Ok said:
source[/I] of the protein as a lot of meats or high protein, but also high fat and high calorie. So yes, I more or less meant not eating a big mac etc. :D

And as you note, whet protein is great as it's very rapidly absorbed. So it's a great source of protein immediately post workout. I have one driving to the office right after working out and showering everytime I hit the gym.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Are you taking pictures/ measurements and keeping a log about this? I do it every 3 months.
[/QUOTE]

Nah. It's not about that. I want to maintain my current weight (5'1", ~96 pounds), I just want to get healthier and more fit. My boyfriend says I'm getting more muscle in my thighs cause of the running though. :cry:

Reality's Fringe;5410164]I'm sorry said:
I meant that Calories aren't the only thing that matter. While the calories may be low, depending on the supplement, it could have a large amount of something else. Calories aren't the only thing that matter when training and choosing a supplement.

I hope I made myself a little clearer. Sorry about that.

[quote name='Layziebones']I meant that Calories aren't the only thing that matter. While the calories may be low, depending on the supplement, it could have a large amount of something else. Calories aren't the only thing that matter when training and choosing a supplement.

I hope I made myself a little clearer. Sorry about that.[/QUOTE]

Which is true. But the problem is that excess protein get stored as fat much less readily than excess carbohydrates or excess fat. Which is the flaw in your objection to whey protein when weight loss is the main goal. Most excess protein just gets excreted--which is why you generally don't want more than 40-50 grams in a meal as you can't absorb much more than that.

It's a good thing as it's a very clean source of protein (low fat, low carbs low calorie) compared to many meats, beans etc.

You guys bring up a good point, and I've always wondered about this. People often say you can't simultaneously put on muscle and lose fat over an extended period of time.

I need to lose about 20 or so pounds of fat. After that, I'd like to continue doing cardio to stay in shape and continue to build muscle. I assume at that point I should be striving to burn all the calories I take in while ensuring I get enough protein for developing muscle mass?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Also PROTIP: Have some sugar before a workout. My boyfriend had the idea to have a couple Lifesavers before working out and I have soooo much more energy. They're only like 45 calories for 4 of them, and I have 2-3 before a workout and I'm able to go much harder and longer. Well worth it.[/quote]

Sugar works pretty well. I normally have a banana, half before the rest in small bites, while I play tennis. It really helps keep the energy levels up.

The past month I've really gotten focused on getting fit again. I'm about 5"6' Back in 2001 I was @ 134lbs about 6.8% bodyfat and after some tiring years in retail management I'm currently @ 196lbs (not sure the exact percentage at this point but its definitely over 20%). Lots of high blood pressure and diabetes in my family so I want to avoid that...

I've been cycling, running & playing tennis at least 90min a day with some weightlifting every couple of days. Big changes in diet too: increased water intake, more veggies, healthier snacks etc.. My present goal is to get down to at least 160lbs by August/September.

I've hit 191 (that's the average) from 180-183 back in the summer when I was running every night. I haven't done any (well enough to count) since then and I consider 8 lbs over the winter not too bad. I've been lifting harder, so I think some of it may be muscle. I love running, just too cold to run for me and I LOATHE the treadmill.

I also started working legs, I usually just worked them out from my running but started pressing, curling, kicks, squats, etc. Someone at the gym (take with a grain of salt, I know) told me that to get bigger you have to work your legs. Now this isn't why I started (hoping it helps with my running) but anyone know if there's any truth to that? Working your legs helps the rest?

[quote name='specialk']I've hit 191 (that's the average) from 180-183 back in the summer when I was running every night. I haven't done any (well enough to count) since then and I consider 8 lbs over the winter not too bad. I've been lifting harder, so I think some of it may be muscle. I love running, just too cold to run for me and I LOATHE the treadmill.

I also started working legs, I usually just worked them out from my running but started pressing, curling, kicks, squats, etc. Someone at the gym (take with a grain of salt, I know) told me that to get bigger you have to work your legs. Now this isn't why I started (hoping it helps with my running) but anyone know if there's any truth to that? Working your legs helps the rest?[/quote]

Absolutely true. I've also heard cutting off your hand does wonders for receding hairlines ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Nah. It's not about that. I want to maintain my current weight (5'1", ~96 pounds), I just want to get healthier and more fit. My boyfriend says I'm getting more muscle in my thighs cause of the running though. :cry:[/quote]

So...you want to kill your bf this way?

XeniaOnatopp.jpg

God damn it, whenever I do cardo from watching Jillian Micahels work out videos on netflix, I can feel the gligglies!!

Heres what my fitness looks like

Lifting [Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri]
3x3 calf raises [Straight Feet, Bowlegged, Pidgeontowed]
3x3 weighted calf raises
3 sets one legged squats [with at least a 25]
3 Sets form one legged Squats [No weight]
3 Sets Lunges
3 Sets Dumbell Press & Shrugs
3 Sets Knee Extension & Knee Flexion
3 Sets Bench
2 Sets Curls
Pull Ups

Abs
1x 60 Second Plank
1x 60 Second Shimmy's, Nothing touching the ground, Arms Straight Up
1x 60 Second "Six Inches"
30 "Straight Leg" Crunches
2x10 Lemon Squeezes
Hanging Knee to Chest Lifts

[The names are cryptic, thats what my friend and I call them]

Monday and Friday have a 2 to 2.8 mile run at 70%
Tuesday and Thursday have anywhere from 2 to 6 mile runs
Wednesday is GUT BUSTING SPRINTS
Saturday is a 2.3 mile route, 40%
Sunday is my day off

I'm the fastest mofo I know.

5'9 135 BTW

Someone give me:
1) A good guacamole recipe. I know it's fairly easy..but still. Avacodo, cillantro, lemon..and that's pretty much it?
2) A good hummus recipe. I never tried it, but I hear amazing things about it.Also, what to eat it on/with. :whistle2:k
3)A good healthy "beans & rice" type recipe. :)

[quote name='lilboo']Someone give me:
1) A good guacamole recipe. I know it's fairly easy..but still. Avacodo, cillantro, lemon..and that's pretty much it?
2) A good hummus recipe. I never tried it, but I hear amazing things about it.Also, what to eat it on/with. :whistle2:k
3)A good healthy "beans & rice" type recipe. :)[/quote]

Don't do rice. A lot is empty carbs and it is difficult to find without a package containing upwards of 800 mg of sodium per serving. Instead, go to the grocery store and pick up... Quinoa. It is an awesome alternative to rice with way more fiber and protein per serving. Cook it how it says to on the package, and then take a can of black beans (rinsed in a collander to get rid of excess salt) and cook them on low to medium heat for a few minutes. Toss it all together and you have a good, healthy rice alternative.

bread's done
Back