Photo
- - - - -

[DEAD] PlayOn for $29.99 until 2/08 (Watch Hulu, Netflix and more on your PS3 or 360)

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#91 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

So the only benefit for PS3 owner is streaming Netflix, since PS3 is already able to run Hulu. And for X360 owner to stream Hulu, since X360 can run Netflix already.

So if you own both systems, there is no benefit right? Am I missing anything else?

You want to share how you signed into Hulu on the PS3? Because I can't.

#92 dboy81

dboy81

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:58 AM

Since the OP, I've been using this software to stream all the available services to my PS3... works great, no stutter, no drops. Used Netflix to put on a Disney movie my girls have been asking to see. Also very cool to sling the feeds to my PSP via Remote Play. Definitely worth the price in my opinion. Thanks, OP!

#93 dboy81

dboy81

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

You want to share how you signed into Hulu on the PS3? Because I can't.

Double click into the PlayOn program; the Netflix and Hulu sign-ins are under the user accounts tab.

#94 chuckywang

chuckywang

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:44 AM

I just d/l'ed this and here are my thoughts. I installed it and put in my username/password on Hulu and Youtube. It was very comforting to know that the program just "worked". I literally just installed and went to my XBox and found it immediately. Very nice. The video quality was pretty good too. Not HD quality, but nothing too bad.

However, as of right now, I do not think it's worth $29.99. It only has Hulu, Youtube, Netflix (which I do not subscribe to), ESPN, CNN, and CBS. That's it so far. It doesn't mean that I won't buy it, but if I do, it would have to be for the future potential.

#95 TheCochese

TheCochese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

Double click into the PlayOn program; the Netflix and Hulu sign-ins are under the user accounts tab.

Not what I was asking.

#96 ddrpower

ddrpower

MMO fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:33 AM

@CocheseUGA:It's probably using the web browser to go to hulu and watch content. The 360 has no web browser, hence no access to hulu.
Just a PC Gamer on Steam and League of Legends. Always remember: Have fun, never at the complete expense of others.

#97 TheCochese

TheCochese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:35 AM

@CocheseUGA:It's probably using the web browser to go to hulu and watch content. The 360 has no web browser, hence no access to hulu.

Using the PS3 browser, I cannot log into Hulu. I input my name and password, but it tells me to input both. It may have to do with the browser not encoding my password.

So, unless there's a workaround, then the PlayOn software has a huge advantage over just using the PS3 - your queue.

#98 emperordahc

emperordahc

Dad with kids.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:18 AM

I watch Hulu on my PS3 w/ just the internet browser.

cagSig.png515886.png

#99 limelight022

limelight022

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:42 AM

I watch Hulu on my PS3 w/ just the internet browser.

You should really try the beta (free) version of playon. It plays hulu much, much smoother than the ps3 browser could ever dream of, and everything is instant full screen too.

#100 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

Bumping because today is the final day to get the $10 discount.

Additionally, I finally figured out what my problem was. I use a Linksys Wireless B gaming bridge for my 360. It has a number of different options for connecting to your router. There's options for each wireless channel, three personal user-defined options (such as if you use a WEP key), and also a generic "internet" option that more or less just latches onto a signal.

What had happened was that I was on the generic "internet" option. This effectively precludes my 360 from connecting to my wireless network. Sure, it can connect to XBL, but it cannot see anything on my network, since it technically isn't a part of it. Think of it like it is riding on the roof of my car - it still gets to the same place I do, but it can't listen to the radio.

I was having XBL issues, so I changed it to a user-defined setting on the bridge, and after that, the Playon server popped up immediately. This made me very happy.

That is, until I tried to use it. CBS worked without a glitch, but the main one I wanted - Hulu - kept giving an error. There were a number of options to fix it on the MediaMall site, but it seemed like it was affecting certain users and not others, and could possibly have been due to circumstances beyond their control.

I'm on a crappy connection anyway, and until I move in the future to a place with a better overall quality, it doesn't look like I'll really be able to use this software that well. So I'm passing.

All said, it seems like a very niece piece of tech, and I hope it serves others well.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#101 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

I'm glad you figured out your XBL problems. But it's too bad you can't use Hulu. I hope there is an update or something that fixes it before your trial is up so you can see how great it is to have.

#102 malfuncti0n

malfuncti0n

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

if hulu worked fine, i would without a doubt buy this thing. but for hulu to work, the current workaround is to put the video quality on low. so that's ok i guess, it does work and i don't mind the quality all that much, but i've watched 2 separate 30min programs now and both stopped working within the last 10min saying the connection to my pc was lost. when i tried to resume it just wouldn't work. so yea, i'm sure itll get worked out eventually, but in case it doesn't, i don't want to be down $30.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#103 dboy81

dboy81

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

Grabbed my license key last nigh, good call on the bump, Strell. The mediamall website seems to be having some technical problems, but I was still able to process a transaction. Used Paypal.

#104 malfuncti0n

malfuncti0n

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

they are going to extend the $30 price for another week because of their website's downtime

http://www.themediamall.com/blog/?p=62

Most likely, we will extend the price change until next weekend, since the site has been out of operation for more than 24 hours now, and it crashed just before we scheduled to increase the license fee. Stay tuned for more info.

so yea, i'll hold off a week and see if hulu gets worked out
Posted Image
Posted Image

#105 WalkinPneumonia

WalkinPneumonia

Professional Cheap @$$

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

They're working on the hulu issue. If you changed you bandwith setting to low it will work. Quality doesn't look as good, but is very watchable until they get it working correctly.
Posted Image

#106 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:15 AM

Humm just tried this for the first time today. Worked great except for hulu which they are working on. The question I have is how many computers can I install this on if I buy it? I would assume 1 but for those that bought it the license per person or computer?

#107 BarbblerElf

BarbblerElf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:33 AM

If they get it to work 100% it is def worth $30. $50 is too much and $40 is pushing it. I think they should keep the price at $30. I would buy it but I want it at 100% first. Kinda getting me pissed every time I click play video and get an error code.

#108 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

If they get it to work 100% it is def worth $30. $50 is too much and $40 is pushing it. I think they should keep the price at $30. I would buy it but I want it at 100% first. Kinda getting me pissed every time I click play video and get an error code.

I agree with this entire statement.

#109 MrBrando

MrBrando

I pity the fool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:48 AM

Yeah, Hulu won't work at all on my PS3. It just says "The data is corrupted" but only for TV shows and even in LOW settings... weird
Posted Image

#110 ddrpower

ddrpower

MMO fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:34 AM

All hulu videos are broken for playon right now. I'm in the bandwagon that says hulu is restructuring, which is either intentionally or unintentionally breaking PlayOn.
Just a PC Gamer on Steam and League of Legends. Always remember: Have fun, never at the complete expense of others.

#111 markj

markj

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

will this work in canada?

#112 aZnEskimo

aZnEskimo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

I think everything is working again after the hotfix that they released. I was watching The Office yesterday.
Posted Image

#113 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:08 AM

There was a new update Friday. And I bought mine tonight. I don't know why the title was changed to "DEAD" AFTER they extended the sale (and remained that way all week).

#114 SRW1000

SRW1000

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

The deal is not dead, it's good through 2/15/09. I just purchased it after my trial period was almost up.

This is a big step up over the PS3's crummy browser. I was actually surprised at just how good the Hulu content looked on the PS3.

#115 flix1

flix1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Verified that the update fixes the issue with Hulu. Bought a license tonight.

#116 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:22 AM

Verified that the update fixes the issue with Hulu. Bought a license tonight.

The issue was fixed the day after someone posted about it. It was likely the servers, not the software.