Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1338 replies to this topic

#91 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:31 AM

Heh, too many hopeless newbs start off as engy. Building 2 lvl 1 guns side-by-side, failing to upgrade tele entrances, wasting class spots.

But as a spy, there's nothing I enjoy more than sapping a row of 4 BLU tele entrances >:)

The easiest way to lose a game as BLU: have half your team as snipers and engies

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=userbar2kk9.jpgPosted Image
Playing:
:pc: Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Team Fortress 2

#92 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:46 AM

Heh, too many hopeless newbs start off as engy. Building 2 lvl 1 guns side-by-side, failing to upgrade tele entrances, wasting class spots.

But as a spy, there's nothing I enjoy more than sapping a row of 4 BLU tele entrances >:)

The easiest way to lose a game as BLU: have half your team as snipers and engies

No, easiest way to lose a game: NO MEDIC
:-#

#93 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:05 AM

Its only a waste if they could do something better as a different class!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#94 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:47 AM

I consider myself a veteran in TF2 and I find myself failing to build a tele exit 50% of the time. Which is why I really should just stick with soldier and demoman. :bouncy:

Posted Image
| Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 2x Intel X18-M 80GB RAID0 |
| XFX HD 5870 | Corsair HX750W PSU | Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 | Antec P180 v1.1 |

#95 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:45 AM

You're going to get a lot of flak about your 2 favs.

I know a lot of people don't like Pyro, buy why would people dislike Medic?

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#96 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:12 AM

I have a question to you all though. I'm currently looking for a clan to join so I can scrim with some cool people, anyone know the best way to find one? I don't want a super elite one in CEVO-P or something but I also don't want some pub clan like eGO or Lotus.

I think a good way to get to know people who plays in the upper tier of clans is to join their IRC channel and play 'gather' games with them. Gather games are exactly like pick-ups or a scrim with random players. That way people in their respective clan-tags will notice you and may start chatting with you. Communication in those games is a must, so be a cool guy and you'll be in a clan buffet before you know it.

Posted Image
| Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 | Asus P6T Deluxe V2 | 2x Intel X18-M 80GB RAID0 |
| XFX HD 5870 | Corsair HX750W PSU | Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 | Antec P180 v1.1 |

#97 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

I think a good way to get to know people who plays in the upper tier of clans is to join their IRC channel and play 'gather' games with them. Gather games are exactly like pick-ups or a scrim with random players. That way people in their respective clan-tags will notice you and may start chatting with you. Communication in those games is a must, so be a cool guy and you'll be in a clan buffet before you know it.

That's what I meant by PUGs, I play gathers. Thanks for the invite, we should play gathers sometime.

I actually did get 2 offers, they said they wanted to play a few games so that's kind of cool. ESEA here I come :bouncy:

#98 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Funny story: during the second stage breakout on Gold Rush, a medic ubered me even though both of my nade launchers were out of ammo. So I ran into the tower to the right of spawn exit and started clubbing people with my whiskey bottle. Two guys were already pretty hurt so they went down fast. Then I got a crit hit and dropped an engy. A medic and heavy were crowded up there, too, so I thought I was done.

But then the medic ubers him and they just stand there, firing down on the cart starting point. I crouch behind the medic with my bottle ready. The uber wears off and I kill the medic and then start whacking away at the fatty. And I actually kill him!

Finally, an enemy demo comes running at me with his bottle in hand. We face off and I manage yet another bottle kill, bringing the total to six. I was laughing my ass off after that.

Lately I've been having a lot of fun dicking around: playing as a heavy who only uses fists; sneaking into the sniper window that faces RED's spawn on Badwater and shooting my spy pistol at players exiting spawn; playing as a spy who does nothing but loiter near BLU spawn and sap teles.

Playing:

#99 judyjudyjudy

judyjudyjudy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

Funny story: during the second stage breakout on Gold Rush, a medic ubered me even though both of my nade launchers were out of ammo.

That's pretty much what I did as a medic last night. I was following two people and one of them told me to uber them... but I ubered the wrong person without realizing it. The person I ubered still ran out, which is why I didn't switch targets as I didn't realize my mistake until after I died. He pretty much did the same thing as you, except I don't think he was as successful. :oops:
My games, DVDs, and feedback.

#100 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

Played last night for the first time in a long time with some friends.

The new server browser is complete shit.

Any way to change it back?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#101 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

You mean the one that shows the huge map pictures? Just uncheck a button somewhere.

Playing:

#102 Sporadic

Sporadic

done with this site

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:50 AM

The pyro and heavy updates both came out on the 19th...is it crazy to think the Scout update will drop on the 19th of this month?

#103 SOSTrooper

SOSTrooper

θ = fractional occupancy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:41 PM

I heard that scout will have a new ability called 'evasion' where for a very short amount of time he'll be invincible but cannot attack. It may be a bar that you can activate, sort of like the spy's cloak. I don't know any other details, and I can't say for sure if this is real.

Posted Image

#104 Sleepkyng

Sleepkyng

doesn't even exist anymor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

master the battle medic

#105 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

master the battle medic

I've seen so many failed attempts at that. Haha

Two days ago, my team got owned by an uber engineer on goldrush. Went all the way to spawn to build, team couldn't counter act. It was the saddest thing because it happened twice in a row.

#106 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

O_o

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.

#107 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

had a bit of a comeback with this game. still as fun as ever. I've notice that my bad ping times come in spikes so when I'm inbetween my 800+ ping times, I can even switch to non-medic/engineer classes! Oh boy!

Love the "new" turbine and steel maps.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#108 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Love the "new" turbine and steel maps.

Those two are server-clearers, more so Steel than Turbine. You ought to check out some custom maps though like cp_freigt, pl_halfacre, a few others but keep an open mind to customs.

The pyro and heavy updates both came out on the 19th...is it crazy to think the Scout update will drop on the 19th of this month?

This seems to be the popular theory.

I heard that scout will have a new ability called 'evasion' where for a very short amount of time he'll be invincible but cannot attack. It may be a bar that you can activate, sort of like the spy's cloak. I don't know any other details, and I can't say for sure if this is real.

This sounds like a hunk of bologna IMO, there's a difference between making something from a hard counter to a soft counter (Flaregun in Pyro's case) and eliminating a hard counter (Sentry in this case)

Not to mention this could be easily OP in CTF games and CPs with chokepoints (Dustbowl)

#109 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

Well the server I've been playing on they seem to be popular or they just coincidentally are cycling those 2 just as I'm playing, but the thing that really clears out that server is the Arena map. Holy crap that is terrible. Having to wait the whole round to be over before coming back to life? Its like constant sudden death.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#110 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

Arena is a flop, no doubt about it.

Steel is a fun map once you learn it. The problem is finding 10 other teammates who know what they're doing. Even if you know the attack routes, the round goes to shit if no one else does.

Badwater is my favorite. I probably spend 80% of my TF2 time on that map.

Playing:

#111 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hell, 2fort is a server-clearer in the server I regularly play on. Turbine is pretty fun though, but it can get a little frustrating when you're on the losing team. Haven't played steel.

cp_freight is OK. The times I've played on that map, it never goes back-and-forth on the middle point-- which is the big area where fun stuff can happen. If that map ever makes the official rotation map cycle or whatever, it certainly needs some tweaking.

I actually like Arena, but as you mentioned, the whole waiting thing is horrible. I like it because it's different and makes you play differently with almost all the classes.

#112 Sleepkyng

Sleepkyng

doesn't even exist anymor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

i hate 2fort.

i play spy mostly or scout.

good scout is where it's at.

#113 Kayden

Kayden

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

How can arena be a flop? It's exactly like counterstrike.

Posted Image Posted Image

Kayden you would be awesome in Congress.

#114 Serik

Serik

Stack of doom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

How can arena be a flop? It's exactly like counterstrike.

If people wanted CS, they'd play CS :D

According to the server browser, only 64 people are playing arena maps right now. The arena maps are also at the bottom when it comes to time played as a percentage of total server hours.

Playing:

#115 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:09 PM

my favorite is a tie between 2fort and mach4

I love the cap the intel maps.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#116 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

cp_dustbowl. Never play anything else. The game is a beauty on this map. CTF is too derivative. Arena, yawn. The CART maps are worth playing. The cart and capture point maps (defense/offense) are amazing because they force the teams to be TEAMS. You have to push the cart to win. You have to push forward to win.

If you're wondering which class is hands down the single most powerful look to the Demoman.

Can any other class recognize that their bullet is a CRIT in mid-flight and detonate it at will? I think not. Hands down.

#117 Nohbdy

Nohbdy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:27 AM

I think not.

Visually? Yeah. It's not hard to see the bullet streak has a team color associated with it when it's flying through my head.

It's also not hard to hear the shock noise to ID crits.

Oh, and I am also able to recognize your sticky grenades are destroyable/moved by airblast by the other team. :3 (Backburners are for idiots.)

#118 drbutchevil

drbutchevil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:51 AM

I would only accept this if it came in the form of a Shamwow towel which absorbs damage, that would be both awesome and useful.

#119 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:25 AM

I like playing dustbowl as well, but one thing that annoys me is the same exact stuff happens when you play it. I think cp_gravelpit is my favorite map. So many different strategies you can do there. Epic battles happen on that map. Maybe because the fight can happen vertically on that map. Whatever it is, it's awesome. I played cp_steel today. Interesting map.

Not sure how arena mode is equal to CS... totally different.

#120 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

Arena is a flop, no doubt about it.

I used to not like Arena, but I think it all came down to the servers I was playing on.

I finally found a good server and now I love it. It is the only gametype that I really like being medic in.