Photo
- - - - -

Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#31 Over easy

Over easy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:12 AM

I wouldn't say ignore licensed games, since I heard the Battlestar Galactica game is pretty good (I have the game, but I can't find people to help me try it). Starcraft: The Board Game isn't suppose to be bad either, although it is rather pricey.

Glad to hear Zombie went well. I'm thinking about picking it up, but I'm just not sure how many people likes the zombie theme. I did get Pandemic though. Going to see if I can try it out tomorrow.

Edit: Forgot to add, Sequence is on sale at Target for $13.99. Despite its simplicity, it's actually quite a good game.
Posted Image

#32 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

I wouldn't say ignore licensed games, since I heard the Battlestar Galactica game is pretty good (I have the game, but I can't find people to help me try it). Starcraft: The Board Game isn't suppose to be bad either, although it is rather pricey.

Glad to hear Zombie went well. I'm thinking about picking it up, but I'm just not sure how many people likes the zombie theme. I did get Pandemic though. Going to see if I can try it out tomorrow.

Edit: Forgot to add, Sequence is on sale at Target for $13.99. Despite its simplicity, it's actually quite a good game.

Sequence is awesome. Its extremely simple yet it still offers enough depth that a person like me can feel like I can stratagize for a win vs just relying on luck.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#33 Jake Tower

Jake Tower

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

Talisman: the Magical Quest Game
Posted Image

#34 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

Pricing is why I would say avoid licensed stuff, generally you can find a game just as fun or better for a lot cheaper, because they don't have to pay some corporation a huge chunk.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#35 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hello, Magus. I'm in much the same situation. My GF has been a reader/PBS watcher most of her life whereas I grew up in a Mom and Pop video store and have been a hardcore gamer since day 1. I've been doing a lot of board game research over the past year and here's what I'll recommend.

2 players:
Carcassonne - there are 3 big games that get people into what board game geeks call real games. Carcassonne is one of the most popular and accessible.
In a nutshell you and the other contestants (can play up to 5 but is AWESOME with two) draw tiles from a pile and slowly build roads, castles, and churches in order to score points. You place your little meeple (people) tokens on roads and castles and when you finish them you score points. The game turns out different each time since the pieces are multi-sided and the roads could go anywhere. It's not a CUT-THROAT experience so you can get away playing with your GF, but it can be competitive. It's also sort of cooperative since you're building it together. I highly recommend this one for replayability. 30-45 minute game.

Mr. Jack
This one is strictly 2 players in which one player plays the Investigator and the other is Mr. Jack (the murderer). There is a board and eight characters. For each game one of the characters is selected as the murderer and both players get to use all of the characters (with different abilities) each game. It becomes a process of elimination sort of game with poker faces as Mr. Jack tries to keep his true identity concealed from lamp posts and having all the other characters' alibis discovered. Being Mr. Jack is harder than the investigator so I'd suggest you let the GF be the investigator.

4 players:
Mall of Horror - for a small group of friends Mall of Horror is a blast. Each player has three people they control in a mall filled with zombies. But there are too many zombies to kill them all. The premise of the game is that when the zombies attack everyone votes to see whose ass gets thrown to the zombies to sate their hunger. This game can be very cut throat haha. You'll scrounge for weapons in the perilous garage and also try and cut deals to be the security chief. Fun game with the right group, not overly complicated.

Those are some quick recommendations. If your girlfriend is smart/learns quickly you'd be surprised what you can con her into playing.

#36 Lord Jezo

Lord Jezo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

This:

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/

Play them all online free.

Game list:

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Spiele/

Dominion is there as well as Carcassone:

http://www.brettspie...ungen/Dominion/

And a lot more.

#37 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hello, Magus. I'm in much the same situation. My GF has been a reader/PBS watcher most of her life whereas I grew up in a Mom and Pop video store and have been a hardcore gamer since day 1. I've been doing a lot of board game research over the past year and here's what I'll recommend.

2 players:
Carcassonne - there are 3 big games that get people into what board game geeks call real games. Carcassonne is one of the most popular and accessible.
In a nutshell you and the other contestants (can play up to 5 but is AWESOME with two) draw tiles from a pile and slowly build roads, castles, and churches in order to score points. You place your little meeple (people) tokens on roads and castles and when you finish them you score points. The game turns out different each time since the pieces are multi-sided and the roads could go anywhere. It's not a CUT-THROAT experience so you can get away playing with your GF, but it can be competitive. It's also sort of cooperative since you're building it together. I highly recommend this one for replayability. 30-45 minute game.

Mr. Jack
This one is strictly 2 players in which one player plays the Investigator and the other is Mr. Jack (the murderer). There is a board and eight characters. For each game one of the characters is selected as the murderer and both players get to use all of the characters (with different abilities) each game. It becomes a process of elimination sort of game with poker faces as Mr. Jack tries to keep his true identity concealed from lamp posts and having all the other characters' alibis discovered. Being Mr. Jack is harder than the investigator so I'd suggest you let the GF be the investigator.

4 players:
Mall of Horror - for a small group of friends Mall of Horror is a blast. Each player has three people they control in a mall filled with zombies. But there are too many zombies to kill them all. The premise of the game is that when the zombies attack everyone votes to see whose ass gets thrown to the zombies to sate their hunger. This game can be very cut throat haha. You'll scrounge for weapons in the perilous garage and also try and cut deals to be the security chief. Fun game with the right group, not overly complicated.

Those are some quick recommendations. If your girlfriend is smart/learns quickly you'd be surprised what you can con her into playing.

Thanks for the great run down! Carcosone I was already interested in but she thought meh. Ill grab it regardless since its only like $25. Mr Jack I was really happy to see you run down since when we were at the comic book store the other night looking at games it was 1 of 3 games that caught her eye(Dragon lairds and Munckins being the other 2). I will deffintly grab it and its nice that its harder for 1 player then the other since most of these games I end up beating her and the others we play with pretty badly. Mall of Horrors sounds hella cool so ill grab that eventually too.

Awsome links Lord jezo I will look into them later tonight.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher

#38 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

From my reading, Carcassonne has several expansions. I bought Inns & Cathedrals because I believe it adds the most depth. The Dragons & Fairies (real name?) is just fluff randomness. The other one I can't recall is a close 2nd behind Inns and Cathedrals.

The game is fun because you get to build stuff. You don't have to worry about hand management since you only ever have a hold on one tile. The only hard part about the game will be both of you learning the "Farmers" rule. It's the only abstract one and it'll probably take a few read thrus to get it. I am still not sure I'm doing it right! haha:-#:-#:-#

#39 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:09 AM

Just finished my first game of Ticket to Ride with her. Was deffintly a great purchase. The first game I stomped her something crazy like 127 to - 13 but suprisingly she instantly wanted to play again....and then finished 127ish(completed most of the same routes)to like 110. I actually thought she was going to beat me for a minute! Was so proud of her that it came that close and she had a blast even after losing. Was definitely a good purchase!

#40 infamyRISE

infamyRISE

My suit's so tight!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:47 AM

I've been keeping an eye on this thread -- I'm a big fan of Catan, Carcassone and the like.

Twilight creations makes Zombies!!! and Zombietown. Has anyone had experience with both to declare one the true zombie-game winner?

#41 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:02 AM

I've read reviews and I am avoiding both.
http://www.boardgame...boardgame/22019
http://www.boardgame...boardgame/23972.

All the reviews on boardgamegeek are by players. None of that ign gamespot crap.

I wouldn't get it but I think the best of the survivor zombie board games would be Last Night on Earth http://www.boardgame...boardgame/29368

#42 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

I've read reviews and I am avoiding both.
http://www.boardgame...boardgame/22019
http://www.boardgame...boardgame/23972.

All the reviews on boardgamegeek are by players. None of that ign gamespot crap.

I wouldn't get it but I think the best of the survivor zombie board games would be Last Night on Earth http://www.boardgame...boardgame/29368

I bought zombies and will vouch for it. Its a lot of fun. I will probably pick up last night on Earth sometime in the next few months since it looks pretty fun and is better reviewed. Seriously though I wouldnt put zombies down at all, its a blast to play. My only complaint with it was that I feel more like I am hunting zombies then the zombies are hunting me.

Zombie Town I didnt buy and everything I have read and watched has suggested that its just ok and is overally complicated for what it is.

#43 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

I bought zombies and will vouch for it. Its a lot of fun. I will probably pick up last night on Earth sometime in the next few months since it looks pretty fun and is better reviewed. Seriously though I wouldnt put zombies down at all, its a blast to play. My only complaint with it was that I feel more like I am hunting zombies then the zombies are hunting me.

Zombie Town I didnt buy and everything I have read and watched has suggested that its just ok and is overally complicated for what it is.

Clearly, you have better dice luck than my friends and I have, it definitely feels like the zombies hunted us...

#44 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

I think the thing with Zombies! is that it will grow stale after 2 play throughs. As in, you'll memorize what you have to do to win, yadda yadda.

Mall of Horror isn't a zombie slay fest but it definitely has the tension of..."Oh Fuck they're piling up outside, how the hell are we gonna get outta here?? We could die at any minute!" Because each turn the zombies randomly gather at a location and the more people in there the more you can 'barricade' out but eventually they'll overcome you and someone has to be sacrificed to appease their hunger, haha. Pretty much, my gun gives me an extra vote and says yo cheerleader ass is going to die! Get out there sister!

#45 Over easy

Over easy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Played Pandemic last night. It was great fun. We played the hardest level with an extra player, which made the game to near impossible when the diseases just overwhelmed us. It was hilarious though.

Played Carcassone last week. It was frustrating for me since I couldn't see how it plays out until the end (that freaking farmer). I'll probably give it another try next week.
Posted Image

#46 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

http://www.urbandead.com/

Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 rumarudrathas

rumarudrathas

Oderint Dum Metuant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

Personally, I liked both Fluxx! and Apples to Apples as a great card game, though I do recommend playing them with atleast 4+ people to get the full experience

Also, might I suggest the Chair Game? It's like a reverse Jenga, where you work to stack odd shaped chairs on top of each other, trying to eliminate your pool of chairs.

There is another card game that you could play in "solitaire" called Chrononauts. I've had some friends recommend this game, but I myself haven't played it.

#48 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

Clearly, you have better dice luck than my friends and I have, it definitely feels like the zombies hunted us...

We played 2 games and both games only one person died and she only died twice. It wasnt even that we had such great dice luck, its just that we had so many freaking bullets and hearts in the buildings and so few zombies it made the game cake. The guts system just made it all the easier.

Anyways just got back from filing our taxes and we got a bigger return then we thought we would so we stopped back by the comic book store and picked up Munchkins, Last Night on Earth and the Switzerland Xpack for Ticket to Ride. Will post impressions later. Thanks for the additional suggestions too guys we saw Apples to Apples there and thought it looked lame for the 2 of us but like a great party game to take on our family vacation/wedding later in the year.

We wanted to get Mr Jack today too but it was kind of pricey in comparison to at Amazon so we waited to buy online. We also wanted to get a massive battle game like Battle Lore or Heroscape but wernt sure which one to get and they were EXTREMELY pricy so we held off. We also really liked the way Tailsman and Shadows of Camelot looked but again wanted to look into them before making a $60 investment in the games.

#49 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:49 AM

Just be careful that you have the time to invest into these games or the space to leave them the gameboard out so you can visit it later.

For instance, Arkham Asylum (based on HP lovecraft) takes about 4 hours to play.

#50 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

Just be careful that you have the time to invest into these games or the space to leave them the gameboard out so you can visit it later.

For instance, Arkham Asylum (based on HP lovecraft) takes about 4 hours to play.

Ya we avoided Arkham Asylum because of the time sink and because of the fact that it looks horribly complicated. I think it looks cool but my fiancee saw that it was 700 pieces and started listening to the rules on youtube and was like Fuck that game. Time isnt a problem as far as playing all these games we are buying, just in the sense of she rarely wants to play a 10 hour game!

I just found someone on ebay that said if I bought enough she would reduce shipping to almost free after a few games. She said just list what I was interested in and she would quote me a shipped price. Would be sweet if what she said was true since I would pick up a few more zombies Xpacks, Carcassone with a few Xpacks, Battlelore and Mr Jack in addition to some random stuff like Humans and Bump in the Night. If she comes through I would grab these then Blokus, Tsaro and Talisman and not buy anything else for probally another year or so! Wouldnt have the money to hehe, I am already dipping into my game budget heavily.

#51 infamyRISE

infamyRISE

My suit's so tight!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:44 AM

A partial credit to rumarudrathas for recommending Fluxx:

I picked up Zombie Fluxx today and its fucking AWESOME.

16 dollars well spent. Highly recommended.

#52 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:48 AM

Just finished my first game of Ticket to Ride with her. Was deffintly a great purchase. The first game I stomped her something crazy like 127 to - 13 but suprisingly she instantly wanted to play again....and then finished 127ish(completed most of the same routes)to like 110. I actually thought she was going to beat me for a minute! Was so proud of her that it came that close and she had a blast even after losing. Was definitely a good purchase!

Glad you enjoyed Ticket to Ride. I really need to buy a physical version so I can play with my wife. :lol:

In another Zombies!! note, it looks like it will be coming to Xbox Live this year. I'll definitely be giving it a try.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#53 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:06 AM

Last I knew heroscape is that game you find in places like Target, that you have to buy boosters and such for, and lots. I would avoid it, I'm pretty sure it's already having some trouble staying afloat or died last I knew. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen it clearanced out of a lot of stores and it didn't do as well as they hoped.

Anyways, I would really avoid buying games that go "BUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUYOURSHIT" unless it's one that has stood the test of time. (Catan, Zombies!!!, etc.)

You really don't want to be stuck with a buncha expansions for a game nobody touched for a reason =P

#54 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

A partial credit to rumarudrathas for recommending Fluxx:

I picked up Zombie Fluxx today and its fucking AWESOME.

16 dollars well spent. Highly recommended.

Zombie Fluxx is fun...but it is definately light, light, light, filler. Anyone can hop in and play it but it's pretty random (which is why it's fun) and doesn't give anyone who is serious about a game anything to come back to.

#55 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Zombies coming to Xbox Live Arcade would kick ass. And last night we played the Ticket to Ride Xpack Switzerland that we bought. The rules for it surprisingly were worded in an extremely confusing way so ultimately we just made up our own rules for 2 or 3 things. We thought when the game said it was an expansion it would do something like add a few new pieces and maybe a small board that you would play with while playing with the old TtR board. Instead Switzerland added a huge stand alone board and no new pieces, you use your old TtR cards train cards and trains. Switzerland comes with new tickets which instead of just being cities is also countries now too. So you can draw cards that say connect this city to that city but also cards that say connect 1 of the 5 or 6 countries to one of the other 5 or 6 contries. Each country has 2 or 3 accese points and connecting any of them is fine as long as one country has a train that leads to another. I am sure you all can imagine its difficult to connect some countries since they are all on the outskirts of the map meaning you will have to connect much longer trains. The thing that makes this slightly easier is the fact that you can always choose which countries to connect, the cards list either 4 countries and you can connect any of the 4(each having a different point set based on difficulty)or the card will say connect 1 specific country to your choice of 1 of 3 others.

The only other change to the game itself is that there are now tunnels in the game that you cant build a track through normal means on. Instead you must use Wild Cards to fill them out. Wild cards can no longer be used as any color card you want instead they are only used on tunnels but you can draw 2 of them from piles. The final change is that the board itself has less spaces then the other TtR board too which makes it a more cut throat game.

#56 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

http://www.boardgame...om/cat--Home--1

GREAT site. His initial shipping is like $10 but after that he only charges $1 or less per game you add to your card. His prices also seem to be $15-$20 less for the big pricy games and $5-$10 less for cheaper games and Xpacks. I just picked up a whole ton of games for way below standard price. Just wish I would have found this site before buying the games I bought yesterday....I would have saved about $60 on the 3 games we bought....add in ticket to ride and the stuff I bought last week and I would have saved $100+ on his site.

Edit - Wow their costumer service is really great. When I filled out my order there was a comments section and I commented that it was dissapointing that they didnt carry the Zombies series. Their customer support or atleast the guy that runs the site emailed me back already and said they do carry them but there was a glitch on the site that made them not show. He then said that he would add any zombies games on to my order with free shipping if I wanted.

Edited by MSI Magus, 15 February 2009 - 10:34 PM.

#57 infamyRISE

infamyRISE

My suit's so tight!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Zombie Fluxx is fun...but it is definately light, light, light, filler. Anyone can hop in and play it but it's pretty random (which is why it's fun) and doesn't give anyone who is serious about a game anything to come back to.

Interesting. Disagreed.

#58 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

http://www.boardgame...om/cat--Home--1

GREAT site...

Well I will wait until you actually get your stuff in the mail :)

#59 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:07 AM

Well I will wait until you actually get your stuff in the mail :)

I will let you guys know. I am 90% certain the site is reliable though. I was able to find them through BBB and some review sites and if they wanted to rip me off you would think that the guy would have told me stuff was in stock when it wasnt when we spoke through email. I cant believe how good the customer service was though, besides everything else I have mentioned when my order got accidently shipped without the stuff that was supposed to be added the guy apologized and said he would ship it and anything else I wanted to add out free of charge. I just wish they would have had Dominion in stock ;)

Anyways last night we tried out Last Night on Earth. I definitely like it better then zombies and its nice having so many scenarios. However the manual for the game SUCKS ASS. It words things extremely confusing and there were questions on the rules we had that we couldnt even find in the manual and thus had to just make up our own rules. For instance the manual makes no mention what so ever of the combat rules in the dark. So we were left making our own rules up on if I could find my revolver at a zombie in the dark. On one hand you would think I wouldnt be able to see it, on the other it was only one space away from me....but then again it was in a different room then I was. A simple mention of rules for when the power is cut in a building would have made all the difference in the world.

#60 infamyRISE

infamyRISE

My suit's so tight!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:16 AM

I picked up Catan: Card Game earlier today.

I read about 5 pages of the manual before my brain caved in on itself. I think I'm going to find an online tutorial, or at least some more concise, clearer instructions. I have no doubt, however, that the game will be great. It already seems more in depth that the vanilla (sans expansion that is) board game.

Edit: Good to see the positive impressions of Last Night on Earth. That is HIGH on my want list.