Photo
- - - - -

Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#691 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

@bigspoonybard - Is there an option to just outright buy the game vs buying gold over and over and over? If you have to constantly buy gold its an incredibly stupid business model. But if you can chose to outright buy the game or buy the gold then its an amazing idea on their part.

As far as I can tell, there is no outright purchase option. I agree; a full out purchase option would be an easy purchase.

They have modified the free/fee to play options since I played it the other day. Now, if you play the Pegasus Bridge or Juno Beach scenario, it will always be free. If you want to play other maps/scenarios, then you have to pony up from your supply of ingots. I suppose this makes your credits go further, but it's still not amazing.

Honestly, the pricing structure is the one thing that I have to complain about. I'm sure my credits will last me while as it is since I won't be playing it all the time, but it'd be nice to just have it and not worry about anything else.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#692 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:58 AM

After a full play of Eaten By Zombies, the game seems like a dud. Not much happens, then all of a sudden everyone is losing cards like crazy and then it's over. It never actually gets fun at any point. Plus there seems to be little reason to kill zombies. Doing so most likely means you will end up stuck with them in your hand, unable to get them out of your hand, which just means you'll never get a good hand again. Maybe I just don't get it, though. LOL.

I suppose you can take a risk and kill some zombies hoping that you'll get them in your hand in time before the first run through the deck is over, because at that point the runs through the deck accelerate exponentially and soon you can't get them out of your hand since each time through you need to draw an additional zombie each turn. So 2, then 3, etc. You almost certainly would never want to kill a zombie with an attrition of 2 (and never a 1).

The game just seems I'll-conceived. Pretty disappointing. I'll definitely be more wary of Kickstarter projects now. At least with Creatures I'll get some cool fridge magnets even if he game ends up sucking. LOL. :)
Posted Image

#693 Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

The Big Man in Orange

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:22 AM

After a full play of Eaten By Zombies, the game seems like a dud. Not much happens, then all of a sudden everyone is losing cards like crazy and then it's over. It never actually gets fun at any point. Plus there seems to be little reason to kill zombies. Doing so most likely means you will end up stuck with them in your hand, unable to get them out of your hand, which just means you'll never get a good hand again. Maybe I just don't get it, though. LOL.

I suppose you can take a risk and kill some zombies hoping that you'll get them in your hand in time before the first run through the deck is over, because at that point the runs through the deck accelerate exponentially and soon you can't get them out of your hand since each time through you need to draw an additional zombie each turn. So 2, then 3, etc. You almost certainly would never want to kill a zombie with an attrition of 2 (and never a 1).

The game just seems I'll-conceived. Pretty disappointing. I'll definitely be more wary of Kickstarter projects now. At least with Creatures I'll get some cool fridge magnets even if he game ends up sucking. LOL. :)

Having the zombies in your hand lets you choose when to pile them on to another player, causing a big loss at an inopportune moment.

I'm with you for the most part on the game, though. It's a little too basic, and doesn't escalate in an interesting manner. I'll play it again, but my expectations will certainly be lower. I much prefer Ascension to this for adding a type of combat to the deck-building genre.
RedSix, Standing By!

Posted Image

#694 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hmmmm we were with Jek. My wife and I agree with you that the game feels dull and seem to not really go anywhere, but our play experience was really different. We have played 3 or 4 games now(which should say how uninspired the game is since we have played like 20 games of Summoner Wars and another 20 of Quarriors in the same time frame)and in our games the first few turns could be kind of rough, but after you survived them the game got incredibly easy. Defeating zombies could also be pretty usefull, my wife and friend ran from them and I killed them and in return I was able to drop zombies on them the rest of the game.

Over all though the game just felt hollow though. It felt like it has many of the right mechanics to be a fun game....but just lacked a soul and it lacked a unique spin that made the game truly fun. I think that each character being a unique deck might have helped(like the mom has more sandwiches but little offense and the cop a lot of offense but no food).

I am thinking after a few more games if we still feel the same we I may try and make a variant for the game. I am thinking about maybe taking a lot of the cards you buy and adding them into unique decks. So as I said above the mom would have extra sandwiches and a few grandmas pantries where as the girl would have access to items that make sense in a school.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#695 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:00 PM

Yes, but you can't play zombies with an attrition equal to or lower than the number of zombies in the horde. After the first play through of the deck you put out 2 zombies per turn (plus any remaining), and then you go through the remaining zombies more than twice as fast and then you are at 3 zombies added per turn, etc. Soon you can't play the zombies in your hand and they stay there the rest of the game.
Posted Image

#696 dtcarson

dtcarson

No cute in-joke here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

I was on the fence about backing EBZ, based on this feedback I'm glad I didn't. I don't have much call for deckbuilding games much anyway, and I'm sort of burnt out on them, but it sounded like it had a couple interesting tweaks. But not interesting enough, apparently.

I have backed Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Carnival, and most recently, Creatures. There's a lot of games on KS of varying apparent quality. What gets me is some of the backing levels. I've seen some where 1$ gets you "good karma" or "acknowledgement on our website", then there's nothing till the 50 or 60 buck level. I'm sorry, that's a lot of money for the ultimate blind buy.

Recent purchases:

* D&D Legend of Drizzt. This is supposed to be 'easier' than Ashardalon - I've played twice (solo) and gotten by butt kiicked within like three turns. Of course, once I rolled 20 for the monster, and a 1, 2, and 3 for my attack. I need to try it again, maybe non solo, but I'm feeling a little burned.

* Elder Sign. I like it a lot. Works fine solo. It definitely doesn't capture the whole feel of Arkham Horror, and it's easy to just flip cards and see what you need to do, but it combines enough eldritchness with the dice rolling that it's fun. It is easy to set up and plays in less than an hour which is bonus. I'm debating buying the iOS app for my ES on the go.

Recent purchase from Cool Stuff:
Survive - Escape from Atlantis, Catacombs, Tales of the Arabian Nights, and King of Tokyo.
I played each of these with my boy (he's 9) over the last few days - Catacombs thrice, KoT maybe 5 or 6 (it's real quick), Survive 2 or 3 and ToTaN once.

ToTaN's good as long as you can immerse yourself into the story and not just play for points. We started a short game, to 10 points, then when one of us made it he wanted to continue. I think the statuses add a little too much upkeep to the game, but we tried to balance that by only allowing one negative status at a time. I also find a website, $$$$$$$$$$$$/totan, that will make the encounter matrixes much easier to use (I was doing both the encounter matrix and the Book of Tales). This is definitely an experience more than a game, but there is a game in there. The first time I played it, it took like 3 hours, which is too long - but we had 4 players, none of whom had played before, and people weren't really focused on the game (it was at an event during a busy/loud time, it was difficult to get into the story frame of mind.)

Survive - fun. Although with only 2 players we either lost or rescued all our guys long before the island was fully sunk. It can be very backstabby or just 'everyone run', depending on how people play it. It moves very fast too.

KoT - another fun one although after playing it 5 times I'm not sure how much longevity it will have. I'm sure a lot of it depends on who you're playing with, and how many players - some cards were worthless with 2 players, some were awesome and looked worthless with more than 2. 2 players is certainly doable, but I fully see how more players is more stressful and exciting. I think each of our games was won by victory points.

Catacombs - I'm mixed about this one. He liked it a lot (you're flicking disks, of course he'd like it), but he wasn't really using a lot of the powers of the heroes. Some of the disks are hard to tell apart without a close scrutiny. It seems like there's a lot of fiddly setup for a quick game (ours were done in less than 1/2 hour). Again, with 2 players, I'm sure it's very different than with 5, but it does work with 2. And we had a couple instances of "I did hit it!" "No you didn't."

So those were my new purchases. Depending on the audience (as you can guess, my audience is primarily family/middleweight), and based on my current level of play, I think I'd rate them all around an 8 with a few caveats - ToTaN is longer and more experiential, you have to have people who can get into the story; Survive, you'd have to have folks who don't get irked in potentially confrontational games; KoT - nothing but confrontation, but quick and sillly enough that it's not a big deal; and Catacombs - not very deep but there's something primally cool about flicking disks, and the fantasy trappings make it more than just Sorry Sliders without scaring away people who aren't used to fantasy theme.

Oh, the 10-off coupon code (CN41) did work for me, although I wasn't a first time buyer. Didn't stack with my frequent purchase discount though, but my purchase did kick me up to the next level.

I was really tempted by Summoner Wars Master Set. That's a very nice package and quite a deal.

#697 Pure Apathy

Pure Apathy

I got paid!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

I have backed Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Carnival, and most recently, Creatures. There's a lot of games on KS of varying apparent quality. What gets me is some of the backing levels. I've seen some where 1$ gets you "good karma" or "acknowledgement on our website", then there's nothing till the 50 or 60 buck level. I'm sorry, that's a lot of money for the ultimate blind buy.

I have backed Dice Age and also Creatures on KS. Creatures looks like it'll be a lot of fun. I'm thinking about backing D-Day Dice as well.

Formerly known as RawisJericho

Posted Image

#698 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

I think I am going to back 3 more kick starters. 2 I am 90% sure of and 1 I am still on the fence about.

Rise
http://www.kickstart...ga?ref=category

Rise looks like a lot of fun and for the low asking price(like $20 or $30 with an exclusive kickstarter expansion)its worth a shot.

D-Day Dice
http://www.kickstart...dice-board-game

Again looks like a lot of fun and has some unique qualities. Reasonable asking price too and again comes with some kickstarter exclusives

Miskatonic School for Girls Deck building game
http://www.kickstart...k-building-game

This is the one I am really on the fence about $45(or $50 with the kickstarter exclusive bonus cards)is a lot to ask for a deck building game. Still it looks fun, the art looks gorgeous and several people at board game geek that have played the unreleased build say its a lot of fun. I think I will end up biting on this, but iv been trying to wait to last minute in hopes of reviews getting posted.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher

#699 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Anyone hear anything interesting about black friday deals? So far im not seeing much. Troll and Toad is teasing a sale but I have most of what they are teasing and they are not listing prices besides....

#700 plasticbathmonki

plasticbathmonki

Powered by apathy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

Not that I've heard, but I have had the chance to use some of the kick-ass coupons Barnes and Noble as been sending. They helped me finally bite on Arkham Horror, Forbidden Island and the core rules for Dark Heresy.

#701 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

Not that I've heard, but I have had the chance to use some of the kick-ass coupons Barnes and Noble as been sending. They helped me finally bite on Arkham Horror, Forbidden Island and the core rules for Dark Heresy.

How much did Arkham Horror run you?

Also Jesus tap dancing christ is Ghost Stories hard. Iv played about 20 games and not only have I not won a single game but I also have yet to even get through the number of ghosts needed to summon in the big baddy!

#702 plasticbathmonki

plasticbathmonki