Photo
- - - - -

Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#61 Sacsquash

Sacsquash

Cheapassquatch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:37 AM

Talisman: the Magical Quest Game

I'll second Talisman, it's perhaps the single most important Board game in my life. Personally it was like my gateway drug into board gaming, it had everything fairly simple rules, you could easily adjust rules, and a handful of expansions. I own the second edition and willed myself to buy almost every expansion for the game.

Recently Fantasy Flight obtained the rights to create a new revised 4th edition which includes plastic miniatures, new artwork, and some adjustments to the gameplay. It's a big box game and I think it may be a bit pricey $40-$60 depending on where you pick it up.

I play tons of boardgames I could probably come up with a list of some of my favorite games, some of which are becoming kind of rare though.

#62 Sacsquash

Sacsquash

Cheapassquatch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:57 AM

Just be careful that you have the time to invest into these games or the space to leave them the gameboard out so you can visit it later.

For instance, Arkham Asylum (based on HP lovecraft) takes about 4 hours to play.

It's actually Arkham Horror(another one of my favorite games) I think you got the name confused with Batman's Arkham Asylum. Anyway I think I'm drawn to tons of games which are time sinks, every time I play Arkham it's like 5-8 hours in one sitting. I also have like 4 expansions for the game, they add a considerable amount of time on to the original game. I mainly like it cuz I'm a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft and Cthulhu stuff, but the rules are just insane to keep track of(I have to refer back to the rules every time we play a game).

Another game that can take quite a while to play is Runebound it's very similiar to Talisman, but not nearly as linear. You can trapes all over the land getting quests, killing beasties or other players, leveling up stats, buying new equipment to ultimately defeat the big bad guy at the end. I have so many expansions for this game it's ridiculous( I think I have every expansion for that matter). The game has a lot of life in it and the expansions always keep things fresh, I have 4 big box expansions and probably around 20 card deck expansions.

these games can be difficult, but I find a lot of enjoyment out of them. Again I'll find some games that are considerably less time consuming and easier to help you out.

#63 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

Sorry double post

Edited by MSI Magus, 18 February 2009 - 01:22 PM.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#64 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

I picked up Catan: Card Game earlier today.

I read about 5 pages of the manual before my brain caved in on itself. I think I'm going to find an online tutorial, or at least some more concise, clearer instructions. I have no doubt, however, that the game will be great. It already seems more in depth that the vanilla (sans expansion that is) board game.

Edit: Good to see the positive impressions of Last Night on Earth. That is HIGH on my want list.

We have found that its often easier to get the rules down by just playing the game, especially if a game has a lot of rules. Its kind of hard to remember everything in a 5-20 page manual, but if you just play as you read stuff tends to click faster.

And ya LNOE was pretty good but like I said expect to be looking for rules online again and rereading the manual. I also would have liked a few more characters and the map to have been slightly bigger but those arnt big complaints.

Its nice to see such great responses for Talisman its one of the games I am most excited to get, but was worried the rules would be a beast. What are the Xpacks for the game though and do you know if they work with the 4th edition(which is what I bought)? I havnt seen any Xpacks for it so I am interested to hear.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher

#65 micro44

micro44

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

My favorite game of all time has already been recommended. Cosmic Encounter. Just a fantastic game with lots of depth and strategy involved.

I am also a fan of Fluxx and its many variants as well.

#66 Sacsquash

Sacsquash

Cheapassquatch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

Alright here's a list of some games I highly recommend when you don't have hours to invest into a boardgame. I've hyper-linked the games to their boardgamegeek page.

Betrayal at House on the Hill
(boardgame/tile):
This is by far my wife's favorite game that we own as well as one of my own, I believe it has become a bit rare(at least the last time I checked it was twice msrp on ebay). A very fun "dungeon crawl" type game where you lay tiles to unveil new rooms in a haunted mansion. It has several rules, but fairly simple once you play through it a couple times. It is definitely best played w/ 4+ people, but it can be enjoyable with 3(I've never played it with 3, only 4 or more). As you progress through the game you come across omens and must do a haunt roll, if the roll is failed then the traitor is revealed among the people who are playing and it could be anyone depending on the omen found, the room it was in, to the person that unveiled the haunt(there is a nifty book that describes this very easily). From this point on, the traitor/survivors have to try to win the game based off of one of 40+ different scenerarios. The game usually only takes about an hour or so to get through as well so it goes through fairly quickly and it's a lot of fun.

Last Night on Earth (boardgame/tile):
My wife and I both really enjoy this game, and in my opinion it's much more enjoyable than "Maul of America" or "Zombies".

Apples to Apples (cardgame):
A game that can be quite fun if you're having a party, it is very biased however(you can learn a lot about your friends and family with this game). You have 2 categories "Things and Descriptions" a referee places a description card and everyone else places a thing that they believe the referee would choose. Quite simple and very funny at times. It doesn't take a lot of thought to play and it's very easy to get a game going, even with a bunch of lay(men/women).

Pandemic (boardgame):
My dad is a huge fan of this game and actually got me to play several times while I was visiting him. The game kept me very entertained and it has some nail biting elements. Basically you and everyone else you play with work for the Center for Disease Control, each person has a different specialty to assist in fighting off disease. The premise of the game involves the whole world breaking out in almost every deadly virus known to man and your team has to quarantine and eliminate the viruses. It is a lot of fun and definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

Bang! (cardgame):
Boomtown (cardgame):
Citadels (cardgame):
Dungeon (boardgame):
Guillotine (cardgame):
Nuclear War (cardgame):
Power Grid (board/cardgame):
Wits & Wagers (party game):

Edited by Sacsquash, 18 February 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#67 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Alright here's a list of some games I highly recommend when you don't have hours to invest into a boardgame. I've hyper-linked the games to their boardgamegeek page.

Betrayal at House on the Hill
(boardgame/tile):
This is by far my wife's favorite game that we own as well as one of my own, I believe it has become a bit rare(at least the last time I checked it was twice msrp on ebay). A very fun "dungeon crawl" type game where you lay tiles to unveil new rooms in a haunted mansion. It has several rules, but fairly simple once you play through it a couple times. It is definitely best played w/ 4+ people, but it can be enjoyable with 3(I've never played it with 3, only 4 or more). As you progress through the game you come across omens and must do a haunt roll, if the roll is failed then the traitor is revealed among the people who are playing and it could be anyone depending on the omen found, the room it was in, to the person that unveiled the haunt(there is a nifty book that describes this very easily). From this point on, the traitor/survivors have to try to win the game based off of one of 40+ different scenerarios. The game usually only takes about an hour or so to get through as well so it goes through fairly quickly and it's a lot of fun.

Last Night on Earth (boardgame/tile):
My wife and I both really enjoy this game, and in my opinion it's much more enjoyable than "Maul of America" or "Zombies".

Apples to Apples (cardgame):
A game that can be quite fun if you're having a party, it is very biased however(you can learn a lot about your friends and family with this game). You have 2 categories "Things and Descriptions" a referee places a description card and everyone else places a thing that they believe the referee would choose. Quite simple and very funny at times. It doesn't take a lot of thought to play and it's very easy to get a game going, even with a bunch of lay(men/women).

Pandemic (boardgame):
My dad is a huge fan of this game and actually got me to play several times while I was visiting him. The game kept me very entertained and it has some nail biting elements. Basically you and everyone else you play with work for the Center for Disease Control, each person has a different specialty to assist in fighting off disease. The premise of the game involves the whole world breaking out in almost every deadly virus known to man and your team has to quarantine and eliminate the viruses. It is a lot of fun and definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

Bang! (cardgame):
Boomtown (cardgame):
Citadels (cardgame):
Dungeon (boardgame):
Guillotine (cardgame):
Nuclear War (cardgame):
Power Grid (board/cardgame):
Wits & Wagers (party game):

Thanks for the suggestions. Few of them like Pandemic and House on the Haunted Hill sound hella cool. Too bad so many are 4+ players and HotHH is hella expensive. I am making a mental note that before my family vacation I need to grab Wits and Wagers which should be a great game for the people that see themselves as too cool to try something like Last night on earth.

#68 Sacsquash

Sacsquash

Cheapassquatch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Few of them like Pandemic and House on the Haunted Hill sound hella cool. Too bad so many are 4+ players and HotHH is hella expensive. I am making a mental note that before my family vacation I need to grab Wits and Wagers which should be a great game for the people that see themselves as too cool to try something like Last night on earth.

Betrayal is an awesome game it's just too bad that there hasn't been a re-print yet, the mark up is getting crazy. There are several other games I could recommend, and I've been playing Boardgames far longer than I've been playing videogames. I'll see what else I can come up with, mostly everything is from memory since I only own several big box games. I go to my parents house to play some of the more obscure games such as Pandemic which I would have never heard of had it not been for my dad.

#69 Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

The Big Man in Orange

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

For those who like Fluxx, you should really try the aforementioned Chrononauts. It has similar play mechanic with a more strategic game behind it, and the theme is really fun.

Just to add my two cents to the Zombies!/Last Night on Earth debate... I own all of the Zombies! expansions through 5, and my gaming group refuses to play it since we got Last Night on Earth. The game just flows better, and has more of a sense of group survival than Zombies! does.
RedSix, Standing By!

Posted Image

#70 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

Are those of you talking about Fluxx talking about the game Fluxx or Zombie Fluxx?

#71 infamyRISE

infamyRISE

My suit's so tight!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

They're both very similar. In fact the instructions for Zombie Fluxx say that combining the decks is possible to play.

That being said, Zombie Fluxx adds a new card type called Creepers (basically your Zombie types) which personally I think add another subtle layer of depth. Also, combining these decks seems like it would space out the zombies perhaps a bit too much.

I recommend Zombie Fluxx, unless you seriously plan on playing this with children, in which case the slightly less complicated Fluxx would work. This game is definately better with at least 3 people, preferably 4 (though still playable with 2).

Edited by infamyRISE, 19 February 2009 - 09:14 PM.

#72 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

They're both very similar. In fact the instructions for Zombie Fluxx say that combining the decks is possible to play.

That being said, Zombie Fluxx adds a new card type called Creepers (basically your Zombie types) which personally I think add another subtle layer of depth. Also, combining these decks seems like it would space out the zombies perhaps a bit too much.

I recommend Zombie Fluxx, unless you seriously plan on playing this with children, in which case the slightly less complicated Fluxx would work. This game is definately better at at least 3 people, preferably 4 (though still playable with 2).

Thanks good to know. I am going to get Dominion as my first card game and after we get bored with it I will look into Zombie Flux(and guillotine).

#73 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

Ok so I got my package and all the games were in great condition and it was all there. So the site is trust worthy. However I wouldn't recommend it just for the simple fact of since then I have found several sites which are even cheaper a few of which offer free shipping if you order enough as well.

The 2 cheapest sites were
coolstuffinc.com -- They offer free shipping on all orders of $100 or greater
http://www.empireboardgames.com - The cheapest site I found BUT they have no shipping offers.

Also of mention is trollandtoad.com which doesnt offer free shipping however has a price match offer and runs specials sometimes as well.

Finally I would really recommend
http://www.fairplaygames.com/

I just purchased several more games from them(growing hunger Xpack, dominion, pandemic, Zombie fluxx, Guillotine and race for galaxy)and the prices were really competitive, they have a code freeship125 hat gives free shipping AND they shipped my order out about an hour after I placed it. So its a good site even if they are not as cheap as coolstuffinc. Heh and incase anyone is wondering why I went with them over coolstuff its because coolstuff was sold out of dominion.

Edited by MSI Magus, 20 February 2009 - 06:05 PM.

#74 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

Pandemic is cool. But Battlestar Galactica is by far the best co-op game I've ever played. Very very fun.

I also suggest looking at Agricola, it isn't number 1 for no reason. It's fun, and is fun 2 player. It's really not hard at all to play if you watch a video review first (The manual makes it harder than it is).

Last night on Earth is by far the best zombie game, and I've played them all.

Wits and Wagers is a good party game. The same guys recently made Say Anything, which is like a hybrid of Wits and Wagers and Apples to Apples but better than both.

Dominion is also a lot of fun. That is the game most of my friends always want to play.

Race for the Galaxy is good, but sharp learning curve (just in memorizing symbols the first couple games).

We've been playing a lot of Chinatown lately, family loves that.

I like Powergrid a lot but it can get rather math-y by the end.

I could go on but those are off the top of my head...

Someone once told me that you really can't go wrong with any game in the top 200 on Boardgamegeek.com and I've adhered to that and it's proven to be true.

#75 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Pandemic is cool. But Battlestar Galactica is by far the best co-op game I've ever played. Very very fun.

I also suggest looking at Agricola, it isn't number 1 for no reason. It's fun, and is fun 2 player. It's really not hard at all to play if you watch a video review first (The manual makes it harder than it is).

Last night on Earth is by far the best zombie game, and I've played them all.

Wits and Wagers is a good party game. The same guys recently made Say Anything, which is like a hybrid of Wits and Wagers and Apples to Apples but better than both.

Dominion is also a lot of fun. That is the game most of my friends always want to play.

Race for the Galaxy is good, but sharp learning curve (just in memorizing symbols the first couple games).

We've been playing a lot of Chinatown lately, family loves that.

I like Powergrid a lot but it can get rather math-y by the end.

I could go on but those are off the top of my head...

Someone once told me that you really can't go wrong with any game in the top 200 on Boardgamegeek.com and I've adhered to that and it's proven to be true.

Agreed all around from what I have seen. boardgamegeeks top games so far have been a good guide and I am looking forward to agricola but fiancee wanted to hold off on it. I really wish we would have gotten Last Night on Earth either before Zombie or atleast several months after it because now Zombies gets no use. Kind of annoying to spend like $60 on a game and its Xpacks then after 3 games never play it again because another you found is so much better ;)

#76 Mars10

Mars10

FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

One of my favorite card games is Zombie Fluxx (as it seems others in this forum love it as well). It takes the good ol' fun of playing Fluxx and adds zombies! Who cant love that.

http://www.wunderlan...s/Fluxx/Zombie/

You can find some vids of the game on youtube as well.

#77 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

Agreed all around from what I have seen. boardgamegeeks top games so far have been a good guide and I am looking forward to agricola but fiancee wanted to hold off on it. I really wish we would have gotten Last Night on Earth either before Zombie or atleast several months after it because now Zombies gets no use. Kind of annoying to spend like $60 on a game and its Xpacks then after 3 games never play it again because another you found is so much better ;)

Boardgamegeek has a huge community of game trading/selling. I bet you could offload that game for $25 at least pretty fast there.

#78 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:41 AM

Uggg Talisman is a loooooong game. Took us about 3 and a half hours or so to complete the game. On future plays I bet it still would take 2 hours or so. It also felt far to easy and random, most monsters I slaughtered without a problem and then right at the end of the game the last ring is freaking impossible. Still over all I think it could be a fun game with some rule tweaking. Anyone have any suggestions for rule tweeks to make it go a little faster/be a little harder? Also what exactly does the grim reaper in the grim reaper Xpack do and are there any other 4th edition Xpacks that might speed it up?

#79 infamyRISE

infamyRISE

My suit's so tight!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

For your rule tweaks, I'm going to throw out BGG again. On every game's page theres a forum for it with a variant rules section. I'm sure some fan has came up with SOMETHING.

I wanted to add that I had a chance to play Catan: The Card Game. I have to say, I think its better than Settlers (without any expansions -- I've yet to try Any of the Xpacs for Settlers, so I'm reserving the right to say Settlers + Xpacs > Catan:TCG :) )

#80 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

For your rule tweaks, I'm going to throw out BGG again. On every game's page theres a forum for it with a variant rules section. I'm sure some fan has came up with SOMETHING.

I wanted to add that I had a chance to play Catan: The Card Game. I have to say, I think its better than Settlers (without any expansions -- I've yet to try Any of the Xpacs for Settlers, so I'm reserving the right to say Settlers + Xpacs > Catan:TCG :) )

Ya I thought of this slightly after I made the post and went there and posted. People said its crazy that it took us like 4 hours to complete the game so we must have done something wrong.

#81 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

We played Mr Jack and Bump in the Night tonight. I definitely cannot recommend Bump in the Night. The directions are horribly complicated but yet leave many questions and while the game requires a lot of stratagy it requires all of it around 1 convoluted idea which made it simply unenjoyable. Already put the game up for sale on craigslist to try and recoup loses.

Mr Jack however is a total recommendation especially given that you can get it for $25! We played 3 games of it tonight and found it very enjoyable and while it may not get broke out as much as Ticket to Ride I bet we will replay it for years. The game is extremely simple yet every turn there are a ton of things to think out if you want to win, especially as jack. The basic concept of the game is that there are like 8-12 characters placed on the board at the start, one player will be playing jack the ripper the other trying to solve who is jack the ripper. The character that plays as Jack draws a card that tells him which of the characters on the board is jack. So the one player spends the game trying to find which character is jack the other trying to protect jack. Each turn 4 cards depicting characters are drawn and each player will get to move 2 of them. Jack wants to keep as many people either in or out of street light tiles because at the end of his turn he has to declare if the characters are in the light or out of the light. Thus the game is a simple process of elimination.

Like I said avoid bump in the night but Mr Jack is a great game.

#82 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:49 AM

While this may not be THE best place to ask, I've had no response elsewhere... anyone have a cheap site for RPG rulebooks?

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#83 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:26 AM

While this may not be THE best place to ask, I've had no response elsewhere... anyone have a cheap site for RPG rulebooks?

I would check some of the sites I mentioned before like trollandtoad or coolstuffinc fairplaygames I know many of these carry magic cards and think I saw rulebooks at a few sites.

#84 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:51 AM

Ugh, I honestly hate trollandtoad. I'll try the others though.

#85 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

Ugh, I honestly hate trollandtoad. I'll try the others though.

Why do you hate trollandtoad? I havnt used them yet so would be interested to hear. When my order from fairplaygames gets here I will update the topic, but so far I am really happy with them. They actually shipped my order like maybe an hour or so after I made it and also responded to an email I sent them almost instantly.

#86 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

Prices/shipping rates. They don't exactly offer very fair shipping rates if your ordering smaller stuff, and generally the prices are only so competitive, in my eyes anyways. I just know many places are better to order from.

#87 infamyRISE

infamyRISE

My suit's so tight!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

While I'm relatively unfamiliar with "rulebooks" or their normal pricing, Nobleknight.com had a bunch of RPG shit from what I saw.

#88 specialk

specialk

[Game Over]

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:00 AM

Any of you found Settlers of Catan and the expansions for cheap?

#89 infamyRISE

infamyRISE

My suit's so tight!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:49 AM

Thoughthammer.com is about the cheapest I've seen it at 33.60.

Should have asked yesterday. Boardgamerevolution had a Catan sale last week until friday. 24.99ish.

#90 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

Any of you found Settlers of Catan and the expansions for cheap?

$25 at coolstuffinc.com if shipping is a killer try fairplaygames.com which had it for like $27