Photo
- - - - -

Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#121 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:06 AM

Its always funny when people say if you dont enjoy something I do/I made you must not be playing it right. What could people be doing that unbalances the game to such a degree? I highly doubt its true that people are doing things so wrong that it is screwing the whole game up, but even if they are its still the games fault because the rule manual for LNoE AND its Xpack are the 2 worst manuals I have had to use so far. Even games like Talisman and Munchkin which are way more complicated do a better job of explaining game rules.

Well I didn't mean to insinuate that you were misunderstanding rules, as to why it's imbalanced (Although 4/5 times we try a new game, and I go read the forums on BGG about it, I find we did some things wrong).

What I meant was I have played too many games to realize that it's pretty common for a game to feel pretty imbalanced until certain strategies are realized.

You may be playing perfectly right, and have realized all those strategies, and it's just been bad luck so far - but your post just reminded me of several I read on BGG that started very long threads.

As for running out of time, so far it hasnt even been close to a problem. We have finished every game with the day timer half or more still full(so if I have 14 days I beat the scenario by turn 5 at the latest).

Weird. For us, if the humans win, it's always in the last 2 hour marks.

Thrust how many people do you usually play with? I seriously am wondering if some of these game experiences are different because the people you play with. Again it seems everyone loves Ticket to Ride but your experience with it has been bad because the people you play with, and now with LNoE I am wondering if since so many people are having problems with the game and your not if its because you play with a big group of people vs small(or just that the people you play with play the game very different from others even if you use the same rules).

There are about 8 of us that we play with, in different mixes.

And for the record, I am very much in a minority in our group for not liking ticket to ride. Most people love it, especially the women. The opposite is true for LNoE. Only about 3 of us really like it; It is what it is, it kind of fits a very narrow need, unlike Ticket to Ride, which has mass appeal.

I simply stated, originally, that LNoE was far superior to Zombies!, which I still feel is true. Part of that is because I feel LNoE best replicates a B-monster movie best, and part of it may be because I view those types of games as more role playing games where the fun is in the experience, not the outcome (unlike euros). Runaway leader problems are something I hate in games, but still, our games are almost always very close in LNoE.

#122 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

I don't know if I agree.

A good example is a game we were playing last night: 3 player Save the Townsfolk game, myself and roommate vs. zombie girlfriend. We holed up in the gun shop and did nothing but search the entire time. We won with 1 or 2 rounds to go, and probably only because we had Jake as one of the characters to burn through 2 cards on his search. With at least two people searching EVERY turn we barely did it. That's not really balance, that's a lucky deck stack and the right character choice.

Another one:

We played Burn 'Em Out.
One of my characters' starting buildings wasn't on the randomly selected board pieces. Started in middle of town with a hero card. An explosive. Luck. One of the other character's first searches was a "Just what I needed!".. which let me get my second explosive on the second turn of the game. Yeah, needless to say that was over real quick.

I dunno, maybe I just have a problem with those scenarios, but I'd just like SOME strategy to come in somewhere. Luck based moves. Luck based combat, luck based draws. It's just too much (perhaps applying only to certain scenarios).

Like I said before, anything that uses dice, especially to the degree of LNoE, isn't a strategy game. Everything else you mentioned compounds that fact. Also, any game that heavily depends on cards that are randomly drawn is automatically very luck-driven.

You could do absolutely everything right in LNoE - play a flawless game, never make a mistake, and still lose. That's just the way it is. That's what classifies it as "Ameritrash".

BSG is the same way, except no dice. But you can play a perfect game and still lose. It's not chess.

I use to hate games like this but I have since learned that as soon as I see dice in a game, I automatically flip a "switch" where I am no longer in it for the competition, I'm in it to have a good time with friends.

Unfortunately there is no Zombie themed strategy game that I know of. Maybe someone should make one.

#123 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

Well I didn't mean to insinuate that you were misunderstanding rules, as to why it's imbalanced (Although 4/5 times we try a new game, and I go read the forums on BGG about it, I find we did some things wrong).

What I meant was I have played too many games to realize that it's pretty common for a game to feel pretty imbalanced until certain strategies are realized.

You may be playing perfectly right, and have realized all those strategies, and it's just been bad luck so far - but your post just reminded me of several I read on BGG that started very long threads.

Weird. For us, if the humans win, it's always in the last 2 hour marks.

There are about 8 of us that we play with, in different mixes.

And for the record, I am very much in a minority in our group for not liking ticket to ride. Most people love it, especially the women. The opposite is true for LNoE. Only about 3 of us really like it; It is what it is, it kind of fits a very narrow need, unlike Ticket to Ride, which has mass appeal.

I simply stated, originally, that LNoE was far superior to Zombies!, which I still feel is true. Part of that is because I feel LNoE best replicates a B-monster movie best, and part of it may be because I view those types of games as more role playing games where the fun is in the experience, not the outcome (unlike euros). Runaway leader problems are something I hate in games, but still, our games are almost always very close in LNoE.

I am sure there are rules we are misunderstanding, as you said in all but the most simple of games or games with the best of manuals there are going to be some things you play differently then what was intended. However after you have played a game a half dozen or more times I think a well designed game you should have either figured out the rules or at least variants that dont break the game. So far that hasnt been the case for us with LNoE.

As for your friends, I wasn't implying you were all different or that you were wrong or anything...but more that it sounds like you play in large groups which might make a very big difference in both how you approach the game and the enjoyment you get out of them. LNoE with a group of 4-8 friends is probably a different experience then from a couple sitting playing alone.

Edit - Also is BSG like a 3+ people only game or could just me and my fiancee play it? Everything I hear about it makes it sound like its not suited for 2 player.

Edited by MSI Magus, 03 March 2009 - 01:25 AM.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#124 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:54 AM

BSG does have an official 2 player variant somewhere out there, I assume readily available on Fantasy Flight Game's website or boardgamegeek.com

That being said, the box says 3-6 players.

The whole point is someone is a traitor. With 2 players, its core mechanic is impossible, hence the 2p rules not being included. I have zero experience with the 2p set including not having so much as read it. I can't imagine it being nearly as fun as the core game though, which certainly improves as you add players and the uncertainty levels rise.

Simply put, its worth finding more people to play with if you're interested in this. Every person who's played has wanted more. It being a several HOUR game is the only thing holding us back so far. It still gets one of my highest recommendations.

#125 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:00 AM

Like I said before, anything that uses dice, especially to the degree of LNoE, isn't a strategy game.

That kinda works, but there are several games out there that use dice (sometimes to an almost scary degree) that have a fair amount of strategy (albeit from other mechanics) to them. Kingsburg comes to mind.

#126 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

That kinda works, but there are several games out there that use dice (sometimes to an almost scary degree) that have a fair amount of strategy (albeit from other mechanics) to them. Kingsburg comes to mind.

I would say Yshapan is one of those too, sorta. It just all depends on how much the game depends on dice rolls.

#127 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

I'll have to check that one out. I DO like dice, when executed right! :D

Edit: While we're on the topic of Flying Frog games.... anyone tried Touch of Evil? I hear it's Arkham Lite. Which might be a good thing. My girlfriend doesn't seem too keen on jumping into AH, but she liked LNOE enough to maybe play a game with somewhat familiar components/mechanics. Not lasting 4 hours is a plus too!

#128 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:26 AM

2 things:

1) For LNOE zombie players: How much do you hate Heroic Resolve? With a weapon, someone with that card is pretty damn tough to beat. This wouldn't be such an issue if it eventually wore off, or if there was a zombie counter to it. Its like Faith on crack, except Faith wears off, or in the case of Joseph, can be countered with a zombie event.

2) Age of Conan: The Board Game. Can't freakin' wait!

#129 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:00 AM

Definitely first in line for Conan.

#130 mickeyp

mickeyp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

Anyone have an opinion of Settlers of catan the 4th edition vs. an older 3rd edition? What is the cheapest I can get it for, I have seen it for $30. Do you think I can play this with an 8 year old? Thanks, Mickey
Smile

#131 Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

The Big Man in Orange

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

Anyone have an opinion of Settlers of catan the 4th edition vs. an older 3rd edition? What is the cheapest I can get it for, I have seen it for $30. Do you think I can play this with an 8 year old? Thanks, Mickey

Really depends on the 8 year old and his willingness to get in on it. Settlers might seem daunting to an 8 year old at first, but if you explain it well it's not a hard game to learn.
RedSix, Standing By!

Posted Image

#132 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

As for the editions, I think its strictly cosmetic with the exception of a rule clarification or two. Nothing changes mechanics-wise.

#133 mickeyp

mickeyp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

He likes chess , and monopoly a lot. Does $ 30 + free shipping sound good for the 4th ed?
Smile

#134 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

I have seen 8 year olds have blast with Agricola, so I wouldn't sweat settlers.

#135 homeland

homeland

woman wooh man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

Thanks to this thread and a podcast, forget which one (idle thumbs, player one, or gamers with jobs..) just ordered Settlers of Catan for when my little brother comes to visit next week and Dominion for the wife and I to play. First board/game I've bought since monopoly. Pretty excited about getting these games and finding out about a whole genre of entertainment I haven't been privy to.

#136 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

Thanks to this thread and a podcast, forget which one (idle thumbs, player one, or gamers with jobs..) just ordered Settlers of Catan for when my little brother comes to visit next week and Dominion for the wife and I to play. First board/game I've bought since monopoly. Pretty excited about getting these games and finding out about a whole genre of entertainment I haven't been privy to.

Glad my interest in this here has lead to others having one, especially if they are playing with siblings and spouces. Good thing to bring people closer together. Just realize with Catan it needs to be a 3+ person game...it can be played with 2 people but the trading aspect of it really makes it ideal to have atleast 3. Dominion on the other hand is just too freaking awesome regardless of if its just you and your wife or several other people to boot. The more I play Dominion the more I love it.

And speaking of Dominon! They announced 2 new Xpacks for it. First one will be called intrigue and it will be playable as a stand alone but also expand on what you already own with 25 new action cards. The developer says they want to keep it where they keep putting out new cards every 6 months or so which is great.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher

#137 Travelsized

Travelsized

Is Sized for Travel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:06 AM

There's an official 2 player Catan variant that people seem to like that can be downloaded here. It's from the game designer, and has a "forced" trade mechanic to it as well as dummy players that you both control to fill up the board space and cut each other off. It looks good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Also, check this thread for information about ordering a pair of exclusive promo cards for Dominion (2 actions, 10 copies of each). If you haven't already, you should definitely order a set, because the Black Market looks great.

#138 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

Get Risk 2210

Best version of Risk ever made.

You can conquer the moon!

The 2014 E3 Theme: "Coming in 2015."

#139 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

2p Catan gets no better:

http://www.coolstuff...Revised Edition)

#140 Tyvan

Tyvan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

Dominion is our favorite game in the house ATM. It is very good!
Settlers and Stone Age used to be until it came along.=)

#141 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

Dominion is our favorite game in the house ATM. It is very good!
Settlers and Stone Age used to be until it came along.=)

Dominion is by far my favorite as well now. Fiancee still says Ticket to Ride is the top but that Dominion is a very close second. As I said its by far my tops. I will have to look into Stone Age.

#142 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

Hey thrustbucket, heads up:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com has Conan in stock now if you're still interested. 14 left.

Make that 13! :)

#143 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

Thanks sir, but I just preordered at Boardgamerevolution (I know the guys personally). Should have it Wednesday. Can't wait!

Thank you though.

#144 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Ah, excellent.
I've ordered from BGR, a great experience, they're just further away from me, so I don't get things as fast! :)

#145 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Ah, excellent.
I've ordered from BGR, a great experience, they're just further away from me, so I don't get things as fast! :)

They did ship super fast and their customer service was really good, but it seems like a lot of their games are a few bucks more then other peoples.

#146 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

They did ship super fast and their customer service was really good, but it seems like a lot of their games are a few bucks more then other peoples.

Really? Before or after shipping? I thought they were pretty competitive, but I haven't looked around in awhile.

Well I just got back from BGR with my Age of Conan. Super stoked to play it. $56 plus tax though.

I also, after talking with the owner, and others, think my next game purchase may be Brass.

Edit: Also, MSI, I would request that perhaps you should change the title of this thread to something like "CAG official Boardgame thread"....

#147 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

Good idea on the title.

I ended up @ $51.99 on Conan, no shipping, since I grabbed enough to put me over the shipping threshold.

Race for the Galaxy and A Touch of Evil also on their way.

I'm really interested in getting Robo Rally and BattleLore, as well.

#148 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:58 AM

Really? Before or after shipping? I thought they were pretty competitive, but I haven't looked around in awhile.

Well I just got back from BGR with my Age of Conan. Super stoked to play it. $56 plus tax though.

I also, after talking with the owner, and others, think my next game purchase may be Brass.

Edit: Also, MSI, I would request that perhaps you should change the title of this thread to something like "CAG official Boardgame thread"....

Their prices are still competitive but I was able to find most board games for $4-$8 cheaper at places like fairplaygames. Also ya Ill change the title, I was thinking of doing it anyways and just always post and forget.

#149 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

I'm really interested in getting Robo Rally and BattleLore, as well.

I haven't seen robo rally in stock for a while. It's a damn weird game though.

Also, I played Conan tonight. It was fun, but overly long due to checking the rule book every 5 minutes. It really wasn't hard to play but we were constantly not sure about certain things. Only played it with two, excited to play it with more.

#150 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

I haven't seen robo rally in stock for a while. It's a damn weird game though.

Also, I played Conan tonight. It was fun, but overly long due to checking the rule book every 5 minutes. It really wasn't hard to play but we were constantly not sure about certain things. Only played it with two, excited to play it with more.

I didnt notice the BattleLore Respose. We already bought it and several xpacks but havnt played it yet. We are hoping to get to the last few games we bought and havnt played like BattleLore this weekend maybe.