Photo
- - - - -

Goozex - 50% off $15+ trade credits packs (Feb 7th - 21st)

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#61 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

If the site folds, wouldn't they give their users a few weeks to use up the points/credits first? Otherwise, do you think a class-action suit would follow?

#62 Gaming-Module

Gaming-Module

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

Trading websites that operate on a credit model are all fundamentally flawed systems. Often the model does not address supply/demand or inflation. Eventually they all crash when the users start to move to a fresher competitor who has progressed yet down the inevitable path that all of these sites do. For users who jump ship it's essentially a reboot of the trading difficulties that were building on the former site.

#63 oxidative

oxidative

last chance to evacuate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Sweet. On my last credit and being teased about being matched for CoD:WaW :)

#64 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

If the site folds, wouldn't they give their users a few weeks to use up the points/credits first? Otherwise, do you think a class-action suit would follow?

idont think they will give notice. One trading place cant remember the name was took over by

GOTTAPLAY or some crap like that...

with no notice. Was a good thing for me though cause i was able to grab 5 very high demand games off that site and push them to goozex for triple the pts or i kept them

i remember i got 3 wii games brand new sealed. Pokemon diamond (2 weeks after it came out and Iris 3 for ps2 right when it came out)

all you got to remember is stay on the right side of the market... meaning i know if they went out tomorrow and even though i got almost 26000 pts i know im still on the + side of cash i spent

like said before got a major game that sold for 100 bucks on ebay that cost me 1000 pts. For that 100 bucks i got i probally picked up 8 to 12 games that got me close to 6ooo to 8000 pts meaning each flip like this will be a net profit of 5000+ pts

so get another 2 major 1000 pt games sell on ebay....

now i have 2500 to 3000 pts and up 200 bucks
WOOOO I STINK

#65 charlescheese

charlescheese

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Wait, why do people think Goozex is in some sort of trouble? I've gotten about 100 games through Goozex over the last 9 months, and I have no complaints. Granted, I'm not trying to get the latest and greatest games on there. If you want Gears 2, well you have to wait a few months before people are ready to part with it. It's really that simple. If you want tons of high quality games from a year or more ago, you'll get them there, and you'll get them cheap.

By my math I've gotten probably 50 xbox 1 games for about $2 to $3 a piece in terms of what the points actually cost me. I've gotten a bunch of 360 games for about $5 to $7.50 a piece. Again, I try to find good deals on games that are clearanced, and then trade them into goozex. So I get 1000 points for a $15 game, then I turn around and 4-5 360 games or 10 Xbox/PS2 games for that $15 plus $5-$7 in trade credits (again because I try to buy them on sale).

I think the system works great, and these sales are designed to fix the broken market which people speak. If they see there are too many points in the system, they do a sale on credits. Too few points, run a sale on points. That the are running these sales is proof to me that they're on top of the market.

#66 Jackaveli

Jackaveli

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

To those people that think the Goozex system is flawed simply just don't know how to work the system. There are ways to get fairly new releases quickly. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Plus, I've been #200+ in line, and took a title off hold and immediately got matched. It's not about what place you are in line, but how many people ahead of you actually have the title activated vs. the number of people actively trading that title. If you want to have the slightest bit of success dealing with Goozex, do what I did and take 10 minutes out of your day and just read around their forums. I went from barely using the site to using it and getting whatever game I want VERY quickly.

Example: I requested Dead Space during Thanksgiving holiday (so it was out a little over a month and I had a long wait in line), and it was on my doorstep December 11th.

#67 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Thread jacked. Yawn.
Just got matched Persona 3: FES. The guy is even in my state. Goozex ftw.

#68 Aleman

Aleman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

Wait, why do people think Goozex is in some sort of trouble? I've gotten about 100 games through Goozex over the last 9 months, and I have no complaints. Granted, I'm not trying to get the latest and greatest games on there. If you want Gears 2, well you have to wait a few months before people are ready to part with it. It's really that simple. If you want tons of high quality games from a year or more ago, you'll get them there, and you'll get them cheap.

And that's exactly what the problem is for most people.

If I'm trading a new release game I usually want a new release game in return, and I don't want to have to wait for months. But the system makes it difficult for that to happen unless you jump into the request line at midnight for whatever new release game you want. And even then it can be difficult to get close to first in line for really popular games.

Maybe they could come up with a new matching algorithm that takes into account how old the games you supply are. So in addition to getting points for the game, it gives you some sort of a bonus (either visible or underneath the hood) for trading in new release games, effectively giving you higher priority in the wait lines.

#69 Jommy

Jommy

Cool Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

I never wait at midnight to add a game to my list. This week I just got matched for Disgaea 3, Fallout 3, Dragon Quest IV, and Final Fantasy XII.

The system may not be the best, but it works pretty darn well. Which is why I just bought 30 credits! I don't believe that Goozex will go under any time soon.

#70 namtrahj

namtrahj

Well-wisher

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

Just because Goozex doesn't work the way you want it to work doesn't mean the system is broken. Plenty of people are fine with the system as it is. If I need a new title and I need it now I'll buy it. You don't sign a contract with Goozex that makes them your exclusive game supplier.
47029.pngfs.png
ach.png

#71 chior

chior

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

To those people that think the Goozex system is flawed simply just don't know how to work the system. There are ways to get fairly new releases quickly. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Plus, I've been #200+ in line, and took a title off hold and immediately got matched. It's not about what place you are in line, but how many people ahead of you actually have the title activated vs. the number of people actively trading that title. If you want to have the slightest bit of success dealing with Goozex, do what I did and take 10 minutes out of your day and just read around their forums. I went from barely using the site to using it and getting whatever game I want VERY quickly.

Example: I requested Dead Space during Thanksgiving holiday (so it was out a little over a month and I had a long wait in line), and it was on my doorstep December 11th.

I spent like 20 mintues on goozex forums. and still cannot figure out what is the way to get a game quickly. It was really frustrating.:roll:
My Trade/Sale list Halo 3 Legendary Edition, Singe It w/Microphone, Mercenaries 2 PS3
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=99688

#72 kevlar51

kevlar51

eats babies

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

I spent like 20 mintues on goozex forums. and still cannot figure out what is the way to get a game quickly. It was really frustrating.:roll:

I post frequently on the Goozex forums and I have no idea what he's talking about.

#73 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

if it was a points sale i might bite but I'm not too into credits like that.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#74 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

if it was a points sale i might bite but I'm not too into credits like that.

how can a person not be into credits, wouldn't you need credits to get and send games... ?

#75 Pucker

Pucker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

Their business is self contained....it's a service and the functionality is all built in. They don't rely on suppliers or any other market other than the demand for video games. Even if their own debt pulled them under, then the business itself is a self contained asset that requires minimal maintenance (like dispute resolution).

The one thing that would kill Goozex is if everyone stopped trading. Worry about that if the next round of consoles are all download only.

The sad reality of the world we live in is that Goozex is probably safer than Real Estate or T-Bills, at this point.

#76 hopeunknown

hopeunknown

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

The only two things I wish Goozex had were the ability to block 0 feedback users from sending to you (since half the time they have no idea how Goozex works), and that people with higher feedback scores got the opportunity to move higher up in the queue. I think good feedback users should be rewarded, no?

#77 UjnHunter

UjnHunter

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

I have 2 trade credits and no points... wish I knew they had a point sale...
-Ujn Hunter
Posted Image

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
PS3: Dead Or Alive 5
PSP Vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Wii U: Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
iOS: After Burner Climax

#78 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

I've got almost 8,000 points but was down to 3 trade credits and have been meaning to buy some more for a while now. Glad I waited. Got 30 for $15, and that will hold me for a long time.

Thanks OP.
Posted Image

#79 jmiller80

jmiller80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

Goozex is a fundamentally broken trading system. Why the Fuck would anyone want to trade a brand new game for 1000 points, which means you get to be #251 in line for Other Brand New Title You Want And Will Never See?

There are a multitude of fixes and suggestions for the essential problem of the site, but they're ignored or outright condemned by the Goozex staff. They really, really want their way to work. It doesn't.

I received Fallout 3 a few weeks ago, and Left 4 Dead and Mirror's Edge are currently in the mail to me -- all from Goozex.

Feel free to ignore the dinosaur, but you do so at your expense. I'm sure having a good time.
Posted Image

#80 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

I'm now replenished to 38 trades, I do find the PM system still rather fustrating to use, a couiple of users have said the games were mint before shipping out. And those games that came were nowhere near mint!

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#81 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

I'd be very surprised if this company makes it thru the end of this year. It have been really shooting themselves in the foot with all these sales. There's pretty much no incentive anymore to send in games if the points are so plentiful and going down in value. I have 1400 points sitting in my account and haven't received a single game in over 4 months. I have absolutely no reason to put any more games up for trade until I get some of the games I want.

Yeah, I've got I think 8900 points and don't request many games as I just don't play that much anymore. So I only pick up 5-10 games a year max.

I really need to start selling games rather than sending them into Goozex. I just like Goozex as it's so convenient to use.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#82 VioletArrows

VioletArrows

La Bella Fleche

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit as long as it plays all the way through?
Currently playing: ....*shrug*

#83 Tomeeboy

Tomeeboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Goozex has been a great way to unload games I no longer wanted (in hopes of preserving their value and getting something I'd rather own). I haven't actually received many games through the service, though, because I usually find a good deal on the newer games and just bite. Right now, I've got a bunch of points and no trade credits, so I guess I'll probably take advantage of this and get rid of those points :)

I don't think they are in any trouble (they would have to be complete morons to run a business into the ground that has virtually no overhead)... but stranger things have happened. I always wondered what might happen if I had thousands of points stored up and the site suddenly shut down.

If you think about it, though, somebody is going to get left "holding the bag" sooner or later, unless the business just goes on forever... There's really no way for everyone to 'cash out' because using your points just means that somebody else now has them, so it's a neverending cycle of points being circulated in the system. The fact that they sell points without requiring a game to be traded only further compounds this.

It's a great service right now, while it is still operational, but it certainly has potentially to make one hell of a mess should they ever run into problems... It would be like the games stock market crashing, lol.
Currently Playing: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 :360:, SWTOR :pc:, Random XBLA Games :360:

#84 worshipsf

worshipsf

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

Unless Goozex bought the points back from everyone, there would be no way to "use up the points first." Remember that when you get a game, you are trading your points to another Goozex user in exchange for their game. If Goozex was about to shut down, nobody would want to send out games anymore.

I have gotten some good deals off Goozex (mostly older-gen stuff) but I'm another who doesn't trust the long-term viability of the model. I'll use it as long as I can occasionally get good stuff, but I won't keep much more than 1k points in my account at any given time.

#85 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

was wondering how much people blew on this site (just shows how much trades have slowed)

in 2008

October 17, 2008 $ 25.00
August 21, 2008 $ 25.00
May 26, 2008 $ 25.00

so between May and aug 30 credits lasted me 3 months almost

Went though another 30 credits in 2 months in just aug 21 to oct 17

Oct 17 got another 30 credits and still have 17 left today...

so in 4 months i only blew 13 credits compair to the same AUG to OCT 2008 where i blew 30 in 2 months

talk about a major slow down

BUT since i was going to blow 25 bucks in another month or so i just got 60 CREDITS FOR 30..

though i doubt i will need anymore credits for the entire year

also was just matched for

Luminous Arc

might just toss that up on ebay and that will pay for the 60 credits
WOOOO I STINK

#86 kevlar51

kevlar51

eats babies

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Goozex is going to be part of the new CAG trading system?! OH NO! Is CAG shutting down too?!

#87 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:40 PM

I post frequently on the Goozex forums and I have no idea what he's talking about.

I was thinking he was referring to the habit of staying up late on Monday night and catching when the future releases change to new releases.

#88 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

Goozex is going to be part of the new CAG trading system?! OH NO! Is CAG shutting down too?!

this is going to be interesting since you can NOT Pick who you want the games from right now. Maybe this will be changing.
WOOOO I STINK

#89 expane

expane

Tappin out posers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

I think we can officially ignore the "I bet goozex is going out of business because I didn't get a game I want" nonsense h8oraide rumors. It's typical of the type of blogger who does zero research and often spouts a long diatribe about a business model they do not even understand. And it always boils down to some cranky pants anger about something unrelated.

That being said, I bought points before the sale, I dont need any more trade credits ATM :(

it also seems like people are still misunderstanding what Goozex points are. This "class action lawsuit" is typical american thought. We have to sue someone right? Goozex points are not cash value, people claim that they are worth XX.XX dollars, but they are worth nothing. They are simply "points" for a trading system. While goozex will "sell" you points if you want, you can not resell them legally. Points are the values they assign for the games being traded, not sold.

Goozex does not buy or sell games. While this is a simple truism, people assume because they buy points, that those points now have a cash value. They do not, and never will. When you buy points, you did just that, you bought something.

Now if savvy users do a lot of "flipping" on ebay, that is their own doing. If someone can turn games into points, then points into games that they later sell for cash, that has nothing to do w/ goozex.

People have been flipping games for years. I personally do not have the time no interest in flipping, I just use goozex to trade away games I don't want and get games I do want, so far it has worked out ok. I'm not getting AAA games every week for FFF games traded in, but that is not my goal.
Posted Image

#90 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

The fact that you have to pay them for the opportunity to trade is pretty ridiculous. I hope they don't Fuck over CAG's current system as I can barely afford shipping most of the time. $2 just to trade a single game is ridiculous.