CAG Foreplay #60: For Your Eyes Only

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
[preview][img-l=1]2[/img-l]CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of February 11th, 2009. After one of the worst January release schedules in recent years, February is ready to get 2009 jump-started. And what better way to do that then with zombies, retro game collections, scantily clad ladies, and more zombies? While, this week's releases aren't accompanied by a podcast, we still felt that there were enough worthwhile releases to put a written version out in a somewhat timely manner.

You can still enter our contest for WarioWare Touched! (DS) courtesy of CAG Robjus.

Special thanks to GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for only $7.49 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.[/preview]

Multi-Platform

[IMG-L=4890]5010[/IMG-L]F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Dev. Monolith Productions Pub. Warner Bros. Interactive Systems: PC, 360, PS3 MSRP: $49.99, $59.99
That adorable psychokinetic Alma is back and is still the creepy, vengeance-consumed, fire-obsessed girl that tortured us with her never-ending rows of cubicles. Responding to criticisms, Monolith has broadened beyond the office buildings and warehouses that dominated the first game by incorporating more varied environments - some that even let you see the light of day. In addition to the standard slo-mo abilities carried over from the original, you can now get inside those mechs you had to circle-strafe to death in the first go-round. Hopefully, all these attempts to freshen up the series will work because it's going to take a lot for me to overcome the dreaded M.O.N.O.T.O.N.Y.. - ship

:360: Purchase At GameStop $59.99 (Free lithograph and field guide)
:360: Purchase At Amazon $56.99 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At Warner Bros $47 shipped (After code WBSURVYJ9)
:pc: Purchase At GameStop $49.99 (Free lithograph and field guide)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At GameStop $59.99 (Free lithograph and field guide)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $56.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Warner Bros $47 shipped (After code WBSURVYJ9)

[IMG-L=4890]5018[/IMG-L]OneChanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers/Bikini Samurai Squad Dev. Tamsoft Pub. D3 Publisher Systems: Wii, 360 MSRP: $29.99, $39.99
Bikini-wearing sisters with swords dismember zombies. I repeat, bikini-wearing sisters with swords dismember zombies. Honestly, is there more that you need to know? These are actually two separate games with the Wii version acting as a sequel to the Xbox 360 version, but the gameplay (minus obvious controller differences) is pretty much the same: you control bikini-wearing sisters with swords as they dismember zombies. Oh yeah, and there's the occasional boss... like a freakin' Zombie Whale. How can you possibly go wrong? Even if this is a terrible game, I ask you, does it even matter? If you answer anything, but "No" to that second question, maybe I haven't done a good enough job conveying that this is a game about bikini-wearing sisters with swords dismembering zombies. - ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=4890]5020[/IMG-L]Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection Dev. SEGA Pub. SEGA Systems: 360, PS3 MSRP: $29.99
Remember how every time we recommend an old Genesis game, we remind our listeners that they could get it cheaper as part of some compilation? Well, the trend continues. The newest uber-compilation title, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, includes all the Sonic and Shining Force titles, Ecco, Golden Axe, and the original Phantasy Star (just to name a few). Trust me, the list of included games is l-o-n-g. There are between 40 and 50 titles included in the game's repertoire, with 34 of those titles already being available for download on the Wii Virtual Console. So, Wii-lovers get the shaft and will continue to pay $8 a title for the equivalent of this compilation disc. Both games feature achievements/trophies, so for $30, this game is a solid buy no matter what console you're playing it on. - mrs. ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=4890]5021[/IMG-L]X-Blades Dev. Gaijin Entertainment Pub. Southpeak Interactive Systems: PC, 360, PS3 MSRP: $49.99, $59.99
It's been a long time since I've previewed an action game starring a barely-clothed female protagonist, but I'll see if I can't cover the necessities. X-Blades is essentially a hack 'n slash affair with monsters (and monster generators) that must be eviscerated in order to proceed to the next room where monsters (and monster generators) must be eviscerated in order to proceed to the next room and so on. As you progress, Ayumi (our clothing-deprived heroine) learns new combos and magic abilities, but the E3 build that I played felt a bit flat and was missing a certain something - besides dignified outfits. - ship

:360: Purchase At Amazon $56.99 (Free Shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $56.99 (Free Shipping)

Wii

[IMG-L=4890]5009[/IMG-L]Deadly Creatures Dev. Rainbow Studios Pub. THQ Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
Take control of a tarantula and a scorpion in this action game where you battle other creepy things that discourage me from wandering around the desert. Definitely not your standard Wii fare, this is a full-on, honest-to-goodness gamer's game that was built from the ground up exclusively for the platform. Also, the two humans in the game are voiced by Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton. A perfect fit, really, as they also instill fear into me. Especially those Ameriprise commercials. - ship

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $46.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=4890]5011[/IMG-L]The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Dev. Headstrong Games Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
Hello, Wii-turning-on-er! Agent G returns to blast holes in zombie heads and spout terribly corny dialogue. With over four hours of dismembering light gun action, this is by far the biggest House of the Dead yet. And of course, you can tour through this abode of the undead co-operatively with a friend, which is really the way to go if you want to survive a zombie apocalypse. Time to break out those PerfectShots and Zappers... and Boom Sticks. - ship

:wii: Purchase At GameStop $49.99 (Free graphic novel)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free Shipping)(Free digital graphic novel)

[IMG-L=4890]5017[/IMG-L]NASCAR Kart Racing Dev. Electronic Arts Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
EA seems to have noticed the ridiculous numbers Mario Kart Wii has been putting up. - ship

:wii: Purchase At GameStop $39.99 (Free code for GameStop car)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $36.99 (Free Shipping)

DS

[IMG-L=4890]5016[/IMG-L]My DoItAll Dev. Tomy Pub. Tomy Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
It’s kid-friendly PDA software. Perfect for scheduling your next tantrum. - ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=4890]5019[/IMG-L]Retro Game Challenge Dev. Namco Bandai Pub. Xseed Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Retro Game Challenge is a psuedo compilation of classic 8-bit games that never existed. Xseed manages to skirt trademark infringment and create one of the most addicitive games on DS i have played in a long long time. The game includes 8 full "original" 8-bit creations included a good shmup and a full classic RPG. But be warned it takes time to unlock the good games. - Wombat

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=4890]5022[/IMG-L]USA Today: Puzzle Craze Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
This puzzle compilation features four puzzle games: Hidato, a grid-based game similar to Sudoku; Up and Down Words, which sounds like a word search spin-off; Quick-Cross, which is mini-crosswords; and Word Roundup, which could be anything. If playing word games isn’t enough to tickle your fancy, you also move up a virtual ladder at USA Today as you win games. The goal? Become Editor-in-chief based on your gaming prowess. - mrs. ship

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

PSP

[IMG-L=4890]5014[/IMG-L]LocoRoco 2 Dev. SCE Japan Pub. Sony Systems: PSP MSRP: $19.99
The PSP puzzler with the happiest animated shapes ever returns in a well done, much anticipated sequel. Picking up where the original title leaves off, the game play is essentially unchanged with regards to the simple controls and hidden Mui Mui. There are more mini-games, and new moves that your LocoRocos can perform. The downside is the length, with the sequel being only about half as long as the first title. It does have replay value if you’re into collecting all the hidden Mui Mui. Otherwise, you might find this game a bit too short. Overall, it’s a great game and well worth the money. If you haven’t played the original title, now is the time to pick it up. - mrs. ship

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

Xbox 360

[IMG-L=4890]5015[/IMG-L]Mass Effect: 2 Disc Edition Dev. Bioware Pub. Microsoft Systems: 360 MSRP: $19.99
The Platinum Hit version of Mass Effect includes a second disc containing the “Bring Down the Sky” DLC and “Making Of” documentaries. Yes, you can still sleep with alien hotties. - ship

:360: Purchase At GameStop $19.99

On The DL

[IMG-L=4890]5048[/IMG-L]LIT Dev. WayForward Pub. WayForward Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $8
This horror puzzler might not appeal to the new casual-gamer-audience that Nintendo has grown to love, but I love WayForward for developing a horror puzzler. There are game trailers out on the internet, so check those out. The downside of this game is that the graphics are boxy and simplistic (which is what you’d expect for the Wii and $8) but the concept is new and it’s worth checking out. The development team has a varied resume (Contra 4, Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses, Duck Amuck, and several Leapster titles to name a few), so I don’t know what to expect from the game until actual reviews start turning up. - mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4890]5026[/IMG-L]Wolf of the Battlefield: MERCS Dev. Capcom Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii VC (Genesis) MSRP: $8
The Genesis port of Capcom’s Commando follow-up. The arcade version of this scrolling shooter can be found on Capcom’s Classic Collection Vol. 1 with a bunch of other games for $10-$15. - ship

[IMG-L=4890]5025[/IMG-L]flower Dev. thatgamecompany Pub. Sony Systems: PSN (PS3) MSRP: $9.99
According to the creator, flower is a poem. And a game. And represents “life in balance”. The game play, however is about as clear as mud and is probably above my slightly-cynical-and-easily-distracted-video-gaming-and-previewing head. I know there are flower seeds involved, and the game is the newest project from the creators of flOw. It seems more like digital art or video therapy to me, like something I would see in a trendy LA spa while getting a mani-pedi. I hope there is a demo for this title, because I can’t really describe it any better and I’m sure I’m not doing it justice. - mrs. ship

[IMG-L=4890]5023[/IMG-L]3 on 3 NHL Arcade Dev. EA Canada Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
Five dollars worth of arcade-style hockey... for ten dollars. - ship

[IMG-L=4890]5055[/IMG-L]Minesweeper Flags Dev. TikGames Pub. Microsoft Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Hey, it's the game your boss always catches you playing. Now with multiplayer modes and fancy graphics. You should really invite your boss over for dinner sometime to check it out. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to let everyone know, the reason there is no podcast to accompany this is it would have been titled "The One With All The Mucus".

for some reason CAgforplay never puts me to sleep when i play it at night but CAGcast i cant go 5 min without passing out.....wats the deal!?!?!?! great show btw

[quote name='UD117']for some reason CAgforplay never puts me to sleep when i play it at night but CAGcast i cant go 5 min without passing out.....wats the deal!?!?!?! [/QUOTE]

It's the female voice. The whiny, higher pitch instinctively makes males more attentive. Although, that doesn't explain why you still fall asleep during a Wombat rant.

Thanks for the one liner on WiiWare hockey, Ship. You just saved me ten bucks.

[quote name='Bazylik']Yes, you have missed a game completely. KZ2 is coming in Feb.[/QUOTE]

CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of February 11th, 2009.

Oh no, is there now Killzone 2 backlash for not talking about it even when it isn't released this week? :)

[quote name='Bazylik']Yes, you have missed a game completely. KZ2 is coming in Feb.[/QUOTE]

This list is only for games that come out THIS WEEK. Besides we all know that game is a 7 at best.

[quote name='shipwreck']Just to let everyone know, the reason there is no podcast to accompany this is it would have been titled "The One With All The Mucus".[/quote]

Is it just me, or has there been an unusual amount of sick at the House of Shipwreck over the last two months?

You folk really do need to stop playing that party game where you sneeze in each other's faces. Sure, it's fun - but the thrill never lasts as long as the sinus infection.

Thanks for keeping us fans fed! Hope whoever is sick (since you didn't say) gets better soon - sicky is icky. :)

Shipwreck, can you slap this on the front page of the UK site too, please? Normally CArseG gets the podcasts as well.

[quote name='kPod']Shipwreck, can you slap this on the front page of the UK site too, please? Normally CArseG gets the podcasts as well.[/QUOTE]

Done.

I'm shocked that there hasn't been more buzz about the Mass Effect at 1999 with Bring Down the Sky. I think that is an awesome deal.

Thanks ship and mrs. ship for the post.

Sonic's Genesis collection looks pretty awesome. I never owned a genesis...but it reminds me of all the times i thought it was awesome at my friends houses.

May have to pick that up, also thinking flower looks cool but not really worth my money.

Anyone think the genesis game will be available at $20 any time soon? (i know it's really worth it at $30 but i'm being a true CAG)

Onechanbara for the 360 sounds so tempting for 1 reason: D3 previously released "Earth Defense Force 2017", a game so outrageously silly that you can't stop playing it despite its repetitive play.

Cool i'll get downloading this on my Zune asap.

I am just on my Mums MacBook and I was on the iTunes store and noticed you guys only have one user review.. pretty strange so I logged in and wrote up one, now you have two!

Oh, no bonus picture this week? :(

Thanks for the previews Shipwreck. I can't wait for your next podcast though. Hopefully the two of you will be un-mucous-y soon.

[quote name='Wombat']This list is only for games that come out THIS WEEK. Besides we all know that game is a 7 at best.[/quote]

Don't give the trolls/fanboys napalm for the flamewars Wombat.

Blender gave it a 3 outta 5- God I hope the editor owns a bullet-proof vest.
That's Joe Levy of New York . . .JK. (I did notice there were NO names for authors or contributors on this issues video game section, ROFL).

Can't see this on iTunes for some reason.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='stonefry']Can't see this on iTunes for some reason.[/quote]
mofoyh4au3.gif

LOL, stolen from jdawg's sig

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So why is this #60 if there's no show?[/quote]

Yeah. These podcast-less previews should be called something like CAG ForePause or ForeMute and shouldn't be numbered. Maybe just dated.

But it's good to hear from you, Ship. I'm a bit under the weather myself. Hope you and the missus feel better soon.

[quote name='Hbomb5']Yeah. These podcast-less previews should be called something like CAG ForePause or ForeMute and shouldn't be numbered. Maybe just dated.

But it's good to hear from you, Ship. I'm a bit under the weather myself. Hope you and the missus feel better soon.[/quote]
It would probably be better to just drop the numbers anyway and stick with dates since that makes it easier to identify what week the show is for and with the inconsistency over the past few months, that would be more helpful than just the number.

I agree with Tanuki on dropping the numbers and just going for dates. It's not some sort of tv series or anything. It's like a news update. So for this week, it would be called "CAG Foreplay 2/9-2/13: Subtitle Here." Or something like that.

[quote name='TripMasterMunky']I agree with Tanuki on dropping the numbers and just going for dates. It's not some sort of tv series or anything. It's like a news update. So for this week, it would be called "CAG Foreplay 2/9-2/13: Subtitle Here." Or something like that.[/quote]

But you need the year in there too.

Hope you and the missus are feeling better at the house that snot built.

I also hope that you did not share the grossness with me and mine. That would be unfortunate and I would find a way to return the favor.

I hope not, because that would be news to me! :D

[quote name='ShinAkumA21']is the rumors true there no podcast because mrs. shipwreck is pregnant?[/quote]

[quote name='Hbomb5']Yeah. These podcast-less previews should be called something like CAG ForePause or ForeMute and shouldn't be numbered[/quote]

More like CAG BorePlay.... m I riTE?

I continue to be amazed that some people are upset when there's a missed CAGForeplay or CAGCast...the hosts do have real life responsibilities. Who cares about the show numbering, why does that matter? Sheesh!

Anyway, I suppose a good way to look at it is that people wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't miss it.

oh no! Shipwreck is back and he just had to remind me to pick up more games!
House of the Dead, Tenchu, and Deadly Creature all look like fun.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I continue to be amazed that some people are upset when there's a missed CAGForeplay or CAGCast...the hosts do have real life responsibilities. Who cares about the show numbering, why does that matter? Sheesh!

Anyway, I suppose a good way to look at it is that people wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't miss it.[/quote]
I don't think people are upset, whiny, or are complaining about anything, just offering constructive criticism to help get what used to be a weekly show out of its monthly-if-we're-lucky rut and get into a more efficient manner.

Finally a new Foreplay! Downloading right now. I actually looked at Gamespot to get the new releases this week, and now I feel awful (one, for looking at gamespot and two, for the lack of good releases)

edit: no, actually I'm not. Nothing to download. Now I feel extra awful.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think people are upset, whiny, or are complaining about anything, just offering constructive criticism to help get what used to be a weekly show out of its monthly-if-we're-lucky rut and get into a more efficient manner.[/QUOTE]

Are they under some sort of contract?

Well yay for signs of life. :) Looking forward to the next audio show, too. :)

I can't believe Retro Game Challenge or whatever is $30. At $20 I think it's a must-get. At $30 I'll be waiting to find it used or until it drops.

/tk

[quote name='ShinAkumA21']is the rumors true there no podcast because mrs. shipwreck is pregnant?[/quote]

Maybe this rumor will end up on Kotaku and Crecente will blame CheapAssGamer for throwing there credibility out the window.

What about CAG Foreplay: The Heavy Petting edition,

or, Post-mature E-Cag-ulation,

or maybe Cagus Interruptus,

or perhaps the "I've gotta get up early, let's just get some sleep" edition ... ?

[quote name='bsesb2003']Are they under some sort of contract?[/quote]
No, but what does that have to do with anything? They're doing a show about new releases and that format requires a weekly show to be relevant.

[quote name='stonefry']Can't see this on iTunes for some reason.

Edit: I'm an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Podcasts, Division 6

bread's done
Back