RPGs that didn't impress you...

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#31 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:21 PM

If you want really unique game play, try the SaGa series. Almost anyone who can handel non-linear RPG can (potentially) enjoy Romancing SaGa, but if you are really truly "a patient gamer", then Unlimited SaGa is pure gold, IMHO.

Other than that I found Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter a pretty awesome and unique game.

Personally I wouldn't classify Nocturne as a dungeon crawler... for a very nicely done dungeon claw on the PS2, try The Nightmare of Druaga, I havn't had the time to play Baroque yet but it look promising also...

#32 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:54 PM

ChernobylCow, I have your answer and its name is Growlanser Generations. (Don't get Heritage of War - it's crap!) It contains two games which were originally for PS1 in Japan, so like Suikoden, it lacks a lot of the nonsensical and complex stuff modern JRPGs have. Also like Suikoden, the stories focus on larger-scale warfare, with your characters being pulled apart by feuding kingdoms, and the games are easily the most Western-like JRPGs with branching storylines, dialogue choices, and character affection ratings. Admittedly, character development is fairly weak since they're pretty one-dimensional characters, but the archetypes set by them play out well in battle (which is really fun, by the way) and other events.

Having said that, you'll need to look past its very anime aesthetics. The localization also suffers for being more light-hearted than it should be, as Working Designs (the guys who added Bill Clinton jokes in their translations) handled it, though many people like this type of humor.

It's kind of hard to find now, but Gamestop/EB has it for $20: http://www.ebgames.c...roduct_id=34039

P.S. The Goon rocks.

#33 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

If you want really unique game play, try the SaGa series. Almost anyone who can handel non-linear RPG can (potentially) enjoy Romancing SaGa, but if you are really truly "a patient gamer", then Unlimited SaGa is pure gold, IMHO.

Other than that I found Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter a pretty awesome and unique game.

Personally I wouldn't classify Nocturne as a dungeon crawler... for a very nicely done dungeon claw on the PS2, try The Nightmare of Druaga, I havn't had the time to play Baroque yet but it look promising also...

What, are you trying to torture the guy?

#34 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:14 AM

ChernobylCow, I have your answer and its name is Growlanser Generations...

Thank you for your well-thought out and descriptive post. It is very appreciated :applause::applause:.

I read a review on Growlanser Generations a while back and I was intrigued but I can't recall what made me say no (to adding it to my Goozex requests). I'll re-read a few and it seems like I can snag it off Goozex pretty easily. I like your comparisons to Suikoden you nailed right on the things that made me love S1&2. Of course the Suikoden series had 1 dimensional characters but with a game who has a selling point of having 100+ characters as its trademark you can't expect Garcia Marquez.

On a side note...I was just thinking how the Goon would make for a great Beat Em' Up game. Who doesn't love to punch some zombies?

But, yeah, I'll give GG a look.

#35 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:35 AM

What, are you trying to torture the guy?

Dragon Quarter was hot fire.

PaulManda.png

#36 Brian9824

Brian9824

CAG-Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:05 PM

I can't believe someone actually SUGGESTED another human being play Unlimited Saga.

#37 ctrek3

ctrek3

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

Dragon Quarter was hot fire.

I can't believe someone actually SUGGESTED another human being play Unlimited Saga.

Hmmm i still have both of these sealed in my back log. what would be the proper way to dispose of them?

Hell, I'll try defending DQ VIII if you want me to even though I dislike that game.

Please Don't
Posted Image

#38 mis0

mis0

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

Can someone tell me the difference in Person 3 and Person 3 FES? Seems like one is priced higher than the other.. but I'm unsure of the fundamental difference (if any).

[mis0's tradelist]

#39 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:49 AM

P3 FES is the full original game, plus a 20-30 hour epilogue that takes place after the original game. It came out about 1 year after the original release.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#40 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

http://en.wikipedia....S#Persona_3_FES

Not really specific, but considering FES is only $29.99 you might as well get that version. You get an artbook + soundtrack as well.

#41 Brian9824

Brian9824

CAG-Obsessed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

Also Persona 3 FES contains the directors cut of the Original Persona 3 game (which i still have to play, I only played thru the non directors cut Persona 3)

The directors cut has some extras in it like a fusion weapon system and tweaked the game a bit. Persona 3 FES is a standalone game that takes place after Persona 3 and is basically pure dungeon crawler and it fleshes out the ending of Persona 3 a bit.

#42 mis0

mis0

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Thanks guys. Didn't mean to thread cap.. continue your debates. :applause:

[mis0's tradelist]

#43 happy

happy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

Wow, I had not seen this thread before, but anyone who suggests another person play unlimited saga should get an automatic nomination for Cag villain (and I liked saga frontier and only paid $2 for Unlimited saga). That said, it would be a great game for someone to do a giantbomb-esq video series playing through the game with commentary - I'd donate my copy for the cause if I can find it.

#44 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:11 AM

I was going to update this thread and change it to Valkyria Chronicles, but the whole idea isn't that entertaining anymore. :roll:

#45 McBain

McBain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

Wow, I had not seen this thread before, but anyone who suggests another person play unlimited saga should get an automatic nomination for Cag villain (and I liked saga frontier and only paid $2 for Unlimited saga). That said, it would be a great game for someone to do a giantbomb-esq video series playing through the game with commentary - I'd donate my copy for the cause if I can find it.

To be honest, that Giant Bomb "Endurance Run" series is pretty boring and at times very annoying. Since they feel obligated to entertain the audience rather than just play through the game, they laugh and crack jokes when it totally isn't necessary -- and most of their jokes are childish and unfunny. It's really a cheap way to keep traffic on their site relatively high on a consistent basis because for whatever reason a lot of people are addicted to those videos. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, on a completely different note, I'm having trouble getting into P3 FES. I played through Persona 4 first -- my first SMT game -- and it was a blast. Most people complain about the slow 3 hour intro with virtually no gameplay, but I was so hooked by the story and the characters that I didn't care.

Now playing P3, I'm wondeirng where that attachment is to the characters and story. I did do my research before buying the game, and I knew it was going to be one big grind through a single tower. Not really my cup of tea, but I thought the story and characters would ease the grind into the gameplay. But around five hours into the game, I'm grinding through the tower and I'm asking myself -- what's the point? Why am I even here? At least in P4 I knew I was trying to save someone from getting killed. So with no type of emotional attachment to the game, I don't feel inclined to play. I haven't touched a whole lot on the social linking, but I don't worry too much about that.

Anyway, hopefully some P3 vets here can respond to my criticism and perhaps convince me to get back into the game.

#46 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

I actually think P3 has a better camera and controls, while both games are excellent. The dungeon is more fun if you complete the optional missions. It's really more of a personal thing, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Perhaps you should have started with 3?

PaulManda.png

#47 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

I love the Endurance Run at Giantbomb, it alone made me interested in Persona 3/4. I find their jokes and commentary to be pretty hilarious in my opinion. And it's not like they are going out of their way to make stupid jokes... a lot of it is based on material the game is giving them, it's very MST3K... just not as good of course. No reason to take the game so seriously, as it sure doesn't take itself very serious.

Not having played Persona 4 yet (but basing this on the Endurance run...) I'd say that it would of probably of been better to play P3 before P4. Persona 4 just seems to have a lot more variety to it, and the characters are a bit more likable. Not to mention... you don't get tired in Persona 4? Damn that is a dream come true!

#48 McBain

McBain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

I liked some episodes of the Endurance Run (normally the short 15 minute ones), but the long ones seriously seem to drag. I haven't watched the more recent episodes, but it seems like a lot of the time they're just annoying. I can understand wanting to entertain the audience, but I found them obnoxious at times. With that said, I'm really wondering if they can finish through the game. They still have a long way to go. But then again, they're not actually playing in 15-30 minute bits everyday like they originally led you to believe; they're simply playing hours at a time and then breaking that up into segments to put on the site each day. It's pretty easy to tell when they can't tell what day of the week it is most of the time and they start off the next episode literally in the middle of the scene that ended the last episode.

Anyway, so far I can tell that P4 improved so many things from P3. Obviously the biggest thing is the ability to control all of your party members. I still can't get over the idea why they don't let you control all of your party members in P3 like any other JRPG. Also, managing equipment is a huge pain and something that could've easily been fixed; I hate having to go talk to each party member to change their equipment when it could've easily been done on the menu. What's worse, I can't let Yukari heal one person without healing the whole party. And, of course, the concept of one huge tower to tackle for the whole game is daunting and tedious.

So far, that's my biggest criticism of P3 so far in comparison to P4. I'm not bashing it too hard because I realize it is P4's predeccesor and it's only natural for it to have some annoying things for a player who played P4 first.

#49 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:11 AM

Anyway, so far I can tell that P4 improved so many things from P3. Obviously the biggest thing is the ability to control all of your party members. I still can't get over the idea why they don't let you control all of your party members in P3 like any other JRPG.

The AI is *mostly* solid, so it doesn't bother me much (playing it right now), but it does annoy me that one death, your own, means game over (Fuck-you Mudoon/Hamaon :bomb:).

Also, managing equipment is a huge pain and something that could've easily been fixed; I hate having to go talk to each party member to change their equipment when it could've easily been done on the menu.

I agree with you there. It is needlessly tedious

What's worse, I can't let Yukari heal one person without healing the whole party.

I have the opposite problem. When I set her to healing only, she'll often use Diarama on individual members when Mediarama is a better choice (we're all hurting damnit! Heal all of us.)

#50 McBain

McBain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:14 AM

Well, in all fairness if the MC dies in P4 the game is over too. It was annoying at first, but it's different I guess. A challenge is a challenge.

But really, I can't imagine what they'll do with the gameplay in P5. I think P4 improved from P3 in every major way possible, so it'll be interesting. Speaking of P5, anyone else have a feeling it's being made for the PS2 as we speak? Especially with the new price drop and the PS3 still seriously lagging behind in sales, I can see at least one more Persona game come to the PS2 library.

#51 dejeckt

dejeckt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:29 AM

I don't want to sound like a d***, but even for Atlus I think they should be thinking about jumping platforms at this point in time. The Wii (I don't own a wii...don't hate me) in its current state lacks 'must have' games, but still retains a large install base. I think Atlus would do alright jumping to the Wii, assuming that at least 1/3 of those Wii are in a household with a family member that plays RPGs (this is definitely IMO, has absolutely no factual grounding).
Then again, PS2 is definitely still a viable system (I'm assuming it has even a bigger install base then the Wii) and PS2 is a known system for rpgs (assumption). The only problems is that the PS2 is an aging system; a new PS2 title doesn't have 'new' feel like a new Wii game or any this generation console (people may opt to delay purchasing a ps2 title until they could find it cheaper or used, whereas this generation console game may have slightly more pertinence in purchasing). I preordered Valkyria Chronicles over purchasing Yakuza 2 and FF12 once (originally went in to buy Yakuza 2 and FF12, walked out with a copy of VC artbook instead).

Again, the statement I made is completely based on bs. All strictly my opnion

Edited by dejeckt, 10 April 2009 - 06:42 AM.

#52 ItsMeMark

ItsMeMark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

I was going to update this thread and change it to Valkyria Chronicles, but the whole idea isn't that entertaining anymore. :roll:

Suddenly. Mark appears. Don't do it man. Don't do it -_-.
N
y
o
r
o
~
n

#53 xycury

xycury

there is only one

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

I don't want to sound like a d***, but even for Atlus I think they should be thinking about jumping platforms at this point in time. The Wii (I don't own a wii...don't hate me) in its current state lacks 'must have' games, but still retains a large install base. I think Atlus would do alright jumping to the Wii, assuming that at least 1/3 of those Wii are in a household with a family member that plays RPGs (this is definitely IMO, has absolutely no factual grounding).
Then again, PS2 is definitely still a viable system (I'm assuming it has even a bigger install base then the Wii) and PS2 is a known system for rpgs (assumption). The only problems is that the PS2 is an aging system; a new PS2 title doesn't have 'new' feel like a new Wii game or any this generation console (people may opt to delay purchasing a ps2 title until they could find it cheaper or used, whereas this generation console game may have slightly more pertinence in purchasing). I preordered Valkyria Chronicles over purchasing Yakuza 2 and FF12 once (originally went in to buy Yakuza 2 and FF12, walked out with a copy of VC artbook instead).

I hope they do. actaully they might start releasing both, like they did with Dokapon, but PS2 is still viable console and with a market of already installed bases, not much really to push out another game.

Again though going to the Wii sounds like a good idea.

#54 McBain

McBain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

I don't understand jumping to a completely new console and abandoning your loyal fan base when the PS2 has comparable graphics to the Wii. The only thing the Wii has on the PS2 is motion control, and I don't see how it'd work on a Persona game. The appeal to Atlus might be to dip into that huge casual crowd of Wii owners, but let's be honest, SMT games are definitely not casual. Most casual Wii owners are into the Wii Fit, Mario, etc.

If it has to jump to another console, it without question has to be the PS3. But then again, what motivation does Atlus have to do that? PS3 is still seriously lagging behind in sales and we all know how many people still own a PS2. On top of that, P4 did well in sales so it shows the console still has life.

#55 mis0

mis0

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

Finally got around to picking this up. From what I've seen so far.. it is superb.

[mis0's tradelist]

#56 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:31 AM

ChernobylCow, I have your answer and its name is Growlanser Generations...

I'd like to state that I have finally received this on Goozex and I am enjoying it thusfar. Even the first real mission has some tension in it...I am enjoying the story as of now.

I am going to alter the title of the thread slightly.

#57 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:51 AM

Every RPG after Final Fantasy VII dident Impress me.....cause their is none better
Posted Image

#58 Ski Hawk

Ski Hawk

Digimon Fanboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

DQVIII is the greatest game ever made.

#59 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

DQVIII - The battles were just too slow for me. I don't have that kind of patience anymore.

Final Fantasy X, X-2 - Characters I just couldn't/didn't give a shit about. The story was boring and needlessly confusing.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#60 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

DQVIII is the greatest game ever made.

Maybe if I was 12 I think I would've really digged that game. But NO. There is NO depth to the gameplay. Seriously, c'mon. The game plays itself. You make no decisions in that game. The only one is whether to play...or to not.