Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #150: Shipwreck Hates PS3, Killzone 2, and You!

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#91 jello00

jello00

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

Did anyone else picture Wombat and Shipwreck as deer in headlights when Cheapy left the room to go get water? aaawwwwwkwarrrd.

Good show guys!

#92 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

The PS3 defense in here (which even I suppose I'm guilty of, even if my take is more "Wombat is a shitbag no-talent hack with a dismally annoying voice" than it is "Sony is #1!") is something that serves little purpose. Here's how it works:

hey now, no need to get personal, I never said that I was stating fact and my L4D was actually not intended as flame-bait. If anything I was hoping it stir up some conversation bout the topic in thread, which it has. Intelligent conversations by people like you. So why is that a bad thing? I going to think that really don't really feel that way about me, but if for some reason you do, you are ineligible to win Banjo, ;)

#93 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

"Stir up conversation" is not a valid excuse for "superiority complex".

#94 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

"Stir up conversation" is not a valid excuse for "superiority complex".

I think I am many things, but I don't think I am better then anyone.

#95 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

I think I am many things, but I don't think I am better then anyone.

I can confirm this. He is not.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#96 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:36 AM

http://www.instantrimshot.com

And you do think you are better than someone, if you're trying to stir up shit. That means you think there's people lesser than you who react.

#97 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

And you do think you are better than someone, if you're trying to stir up shit. That means you think there's people lesser than you who react.

they are not lesser people, they are just people who react. I don't think I'm better. I am sure everyone that I laugh at gets a chance to laugh at me

#98 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:43 AM

I've never gotten that impression. I think you are reaching there.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#99 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

It's not just him, it's anyone who tries to feed the trolls.

#100 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:49 AM

Have you seen my avatar quote LOL! From my perspective its not about condescension but just for LULZ.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#101 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:51 AM

Hey shippy. Mrs.Shipwreck gonna get on PSN anytime soon? I'd like to game with her for a bit one of these days when I get my TV fixed. I mean you're a big FPS fan for the most part, liking few other genre's.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#102 supermidget

supermidget

Agent Short

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

Holy crap wombat is going to prank call me!!!!!
For the latest in video game rumors check out: http://www.vgrumorhq.com

#103 kongfunk

kongfunk

Go Team Venture!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

Listened to CAGcast today at work, always love to hear Shipwreck on the show.
I wanted to respond to all the Wombat Sony complaints the last couple of shows. I just bought a PS3 in Jan, with the Sony Card $150 back + $50 BB GC I thought it was a good deal. I think a lot of people who sound like there bashing the PS3 are actually angry at Sony the company. They see that PS3 has all these great things that they don't follow thru on or they seem like they refuse to listen to the community. And the community almost feels like there in a movie theater watching a killer on the other side of the door and there screaming don't open that door but then Sony opens the door. Sony is looking for that gimmick that can get these things moving off the shelves like the Wii but it's too late. They spend all this money on motion controller, which they kind of gave up on after it didn't receive the splash they wanted it to. They spend all this money on Home which is not what the console gamer is looking for. And now they’re going to tell us that we need to be playing games with 3D glasses.
At this point the only thing bringing the PS3 down is Sony itself. I love the 1st party games on Playstation, all 5 of them. They need to get off their ass and start turning out more 1st party games and show developers how great the PS3 can be and get more people taking about (insert PS2 character name here) new game and not sorry we can’t give you a demo until you buy our game bullshit.
Posted Image

#104 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:58 AM

Well kong Sony not capitalizing on Sackboy did them a tremendous amount of harm.

Edited by Sarang01, 19 February 2009 - 01:14 AM.
spelling mistake

Posted Image

#105 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

I wish that Shipwreck had a permanent chair in the CAGCast. I have never listened to Foreplay(since I never buy new games), but I like what he adds to the CAGCast.

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png

#106 mrfreeziexp

mrfreeziexp

CAGiversary?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

I wish that Shipwreck had a permanent chair in the CAGCast. I have never listened to Foreplay(since I never buy new games), but I like what he adds to the CAGCast.

I agree! They should add Mrs. Shipwreck and make it a foursome.

....That didn't come out right.
:cold:

#107 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:20 AM

you mean like you in this thread?

#108 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

Last time I checked, you where only one person.

#109 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

If you'd like Shipwreck or other guests on more but are worried about the latency, you can open a dedicated port on your router for it. I don't have my Mac right in front of me, so I couldn't tell you exactly how to do it on there, but these guys cover the basics of it.

http://labrats.tv/episodes/ep52.html

How to assign a static port to Skype for Mac:
http://www.smartcom....ith Mac OSX.pdf

#110 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

Good God, I just finished House of the Dead: Overkill, and I did not do the disturbing nature of this game justice. I think I need a bath.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#111 VirgiltheChicken

VirgiltheChicken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

Great show as always Wombat and Cheapy! Even Shipwreck, who I normally tolerate for his gaming knowledge but find very bland, was entertaining. Mild quibble: the bodily functions are creeping back into the show (I still remember the early Cheapy burpcasts). That said, the infamous Wombat fart is a source of unending hilarity. So, do whatever you want.

Wombat: you're insane if you think DC Universe is not going to be subscription based. Until they announce it's not, then you're a genius.

Cheapy: I agree with you wholeheartedly about Mighty Mugs. But, then again some people might think a giant Robocop pellet gun is juvenile (they're confusing juvenile with awesome) so maybe I should cut the MM folks some slack.

Cheapy/Wombat: CAG Battlefield 1943 sounds like a heck of a time.

Shipwreck: I was on the fence about House of the Dead: Overkill, but you've convinced me. Thanks.

#112 Ex~

Ex~

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

So who has done the Mario/Wombat fart mashup? I'm waiting... xP

#113 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:08 AM

Also, hooray for Retro Game Challenge and Big Bang Mini coverage. Not every good DS game is published by Nintendo.

#114 chililili

chililili

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

Great show I love these, and keep it up. Also I had no idea shipwreck was a red-head. Anyway the no cover on Killzone 2 MP made my day, I was not looking forward to using that on multiplayer at all, but it seems that it will be far much more simple pick and play type of game.

Also shameless Banjo plea.

#115 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:22 AM

Good God, I just finished House of the Dead: Overkill, and I did not do the disturbing nature of this game justice. I think I need a bath.

Ok now pass it over to Mrs.Shipwreck.

edit: Hey Redjago!
Posted Image

#116 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:28 AM

You don't stand alone about the Mighty Muggs, Cheapy. I don't get their appeal.

Toys that bear greater physical resemblance to the owners than what they were based on?

I dunno; beats me. I think they look like bloated McDonald's Happy Meal toys. Cute, tho'.

You are also dancing around the issue that the buying base is not mutually exclusive, which is important- and this is a serious consideration for any studio.

That's a valid point. Each time I purchase a multiplatform title, I have to discern which platform I buy it on. It ain't gonna be both (tho' I did score a cheap 360 GTAIV, so that's not wholly true). There are indeed a myriad of variables to consider; that said, I'm still wholly unconvinced that companies are dabbling in testing out whether or not games are more profitable if released exclusively on one console. *Especially* when your publisher is Electronic Arts (a company who, I believe, still releases 3D0 titles ;)).

One thing I strongly disagree with is that the 360 is the FPS console. Both are; the 360 has Gears of War series over PS3 (they have Halo, too, but aren't we supposed to dislike that series now?). But the PS3 is just as marred by FPS titles as the 360; all the multiplatform ones (save L4D!), even the ones folks didn't buy, like Turning Point, Fracture, and...that one...crap...oh yeah, Dark Sector. It's an FPS gen, much to my chagrin. We can argue whether or not Gears/Halo beats Killzone/Resistance (or maybe it's not much of an argument after all), but if there's one thing we ain't starvin' for, it's FPS. They're all over the place like dirty, shoeless children at a Golden Corral.

I think Gabes problem is a personal one with Sony, more than anything. Which makes me wonder with each time he makes these ridiculous decisions how much the staff want him gone.

I don't know nothin' 'bout nothin' regarding personal quibbles at Valve, and don't know much about Newell himself, except (1) he hates hates hates programming for the PS3, and (2) he's not about to mince words over #1. Is it personal? Don't know, and don't think it matters. It's passionate fo' sho' is what it is. However it became that L4D became 360 exclusive, I would be shocked if he didn't have a hand in it. Otherwise, we'd be entertaining the possibility that EA themselves decided to not release a game on a current platform. That's as likely as the sun rising in California and setting on the east coast. Ok, not as likely. Just slightly more, though.

hey now, no need to get personal, I never said that I was stating fact and my L4D was actually not intended as flame-bait. If anything I was hoping it stir up some conversation bout the topic in thread, which it has. Intelligent conversations by people like you. So why is that a bad thing? I going to think that really don't really feel that way about me, but if for some reason you do, you are ineligible to win Banjo, ;)

Hey, hombre. I got fired up; nothing personal. Never is. I'll do what I rarely do: apologize.

Hey Wombat, I'm sorry for being a prick.

*whew*

What the argument smacks of, to me, is an opinion that isn't really fully formed, and upon scrutiny is pretty bloody implausible. And while that, in and of itself, may not be flamebait, you did undoubtedly tout your flame-gaining abilities while complaining about the Killzone demo. But let me repeat: I *agree* with that criticism! The theory of demos is supposed to be a gaming hors d'oeuvre; sample and enjoy. Buy if you really enjoy. But samples are samples; not a commodity to be limited in its distribution. Ideally. But you railed on this with outrage, and while I agree with that, downloading the demo was as easy as making a UK account. Doesn't change your point about Sony's marketing philosophy, but it does provide you with access to the title. So you railed on the point, and seemed to delight in how much shit it would stir...well, right here. So I'm not convinced of your overall innocence in the slightest - whether intentional or not (the latter being the implication that PS3 development, and the console's mere existence, is a burden for developers and publishers more than it is an additional revenue stream).

But...whew. Another long post. Dangit!
Posted Image

#117 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:38 AM

Plus it's not like the demo is going to be available for everyone once it comes out - oh wait......

#118 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:49 AM

I also would like to add that Shipwreck is a great addition to the group. I'd like to see CAG Foreplay merged into the CAGcast entirely. Maybe Mrs. Shipwreck could join the show for a brief period to discuss new releases since we'd miss hearing from her.
Posted Image

#119 mrfreeziexp

mrfreeziexp

CAGiversary?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:06 AM

You know, the more I think about killzone 2 and the PS3 in general, the more confused I get.

I think what shocks me the most is how poorly managed the SOE branch is run. And this trickles down to everything SOE related, in this case, Killzone 2. The way they've handled this whole demo thing should be enough to fire most of the people running the show. Killzone 2 is an unproven franchise for most people, I myself know nothing about the Killzone universe. It seems like, and here's the key, -if they wanted to succeed-, they would be handing this demo out to anyone willing to take it. burn it to discs and hand it out at malls, throw it out of planes, have huge signs everywhere they can put them with "TRY THE DEMO NOW! FREE!", and of course make it available to people via PSN. But, for some odd reason, they're giving the demo out to people who have ALREADY BOUGHT the game, via pre-ordering. You don't need to push these customers anymore, they've bought your product, that's all there is to it. mission complete. It's the customers who are skeptical that you should be targeting. And the best way to sell to them is through a demo. It's so ass-backward, as Wombat said.

I just don't understand it, has this never came up in any of the Sony meetings? I mean, for Christ's sake, have these people attended business school? Have they heard of Business school? I'm not trying to troll here, it just seems odd to me, as a potential customer, to treat the demo, which is really just a form of advertisement, let's get that out of the way right now, as if it's some sort of reward. I just don't get it.

I guess it's going to take Killzone 2 flopping, not because it's a bad game or because the PS3 is a bad system, but because it's been marketed so poorly, to open Sony's eyes. Or, perhaps not. Let's face it, the PS3 has had terrible marketing and not so stellar sales to match, and Sony still hasn't a clue.

Edited by mrfreeziexp, 19 February 2009 - 03:21 AM.

:cold:

#120 Jqwerty

Jqwerty

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:08 AM

About the Killzone 2 demo...if Wombat had played the Killzone 2 demo, he would have understood why Sony does not want Americans playing it. The game looks great in videos and has gotten great reviews, but after playing the roughly 10 minute long demo I was turned off by the controls. Many people on 1UP and other people who have played the game have said that the controls do take getting used to and the game gets better as you advance through the campaign, but those factors cannot be seen in the demo. Another portion of the game that has said to be phenominal is the online multiplayer, which also is not present in the demo. I think that after people have played the demo, they will be less hyped for Killzone 2 because of the frustrating controls, and that will detract from the other factors that the game has going for it.