Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #150: Shipwreck Hates PS3, Killzone 2, and You!

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#241 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

And are you really that dumb h3ll? Have you missed the posts where we said the demo's going to be available day one it's out?

Matter of fact, you didn't even understand the logistics of influenzing pre-orders last night, so I highly doubt you understand the concept of "bonus".

Again, you have pointed it out multiple times, and we have collectively addressed it. You don't like our point so you ignore it and restate the same thing over and over again ad nauseum.

We are talking specifically about the potential negative effect on the launch and how that effects the game vis-à-vis it's overall success. And again- how you manage to rationlize a demonstraion for a game you just purchased (you own therefore you don't need to demo it) as a "bonus" is illogical at best- the concept is oxymoronic.

As for your ad hominem attacks: I guess that is probably more telling of your argument's logical foundation than your personal intellect, let's hope so.

"Influenzing" is that marketing speak for a viral marketing impression, seriously not screwing with-you I have never heard that term.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#242 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

You keep saying it hurts Sony, but as myself and many others have said, please tell us how. We've showed examples, told you why it doesn't matter, but you and your posse just keep trying to beat a dead horse.

But whatever, you probably don't even own a PS3, so your opinion is essentially null as the demo nor the game has any effect on you, which makes me ask, Why do you care?

#243 Gainer

Gainer

Cheapening it up.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:46 PM

I agree that Sony ought to work to provide more demos. More than a few times this generation I've decided to buy or not buy a game I was on the fence about based on how the demo played. All PS3s come with a harddrive and the PS store is available to everybody, so why not give us demos to try games before they are released? Of course, that being said I bought less games than I would have usually thanks to the demos :D

#244 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

You keep saying it hurts Sony, but as myself and many others have said, please tell us how. We've showed examples, told you why it doesn't matter, but you and your posse just keep trying to beat a dead horse.

But whatever, you probably don't even own a PS3, so your opinion is essentially null as the demo nor the game has any effect on you, which makes me ask, Why do you care?

I own an original 60gb launch model (do you need me to snap a pic with my phone?) I was an early adopter.
I like this game and want it to succeed.
The concern is not hurting Sony so much as it is damaging a potentially great game , re-innovated IP, and helping resurrect a floundering console that by all accounts should be much more successful with a weak launch of what should be a banner AAA title.

My Trade list:

#245 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

No, I take your word for it, I just didnt see a PSN tag under your name and assumed. And yeah I want the game to succeed too (actually I couldn't care less), but the demo is not the problem. Again, the people who want the game on day one, likely put down a pre-order, and they go to Gamestop to use that because they can get a demo.

If the video game world relied on day one sales I can see how this would be a problem, but it's not. The demo is coming out the day before/day of the game releases, and anyone who was unsure about it on day one, can play the demo on day one and pick it up on day two. It doesn't hurt anyone.

#246 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

I also have a Wii, that's not listed either. None of the consoles in my play-room/family room have their tag's/usernames/codes plastered on the internet. The 360 in the den is different as it has limited access.

It doesn't hurt anyone.

Many of us fervently disagree.

My Trade list:

#247 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Why can't you wait until release day to play the demo? Is not getting the game on day one really a big problem to you? FFS you can still get it on day one, you can grab the demo in the morning.

#248 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

Why can't you wait until release day to play the demo? Is not getting the game on day one really a big problem to you? FFS you can still get it on day one, you can grab the demo in the morning.

I am not talking about me (nor is anyone else criticizing this move), but the more casual gaming public at large. Anyone on CAG who wants the demo can easily get it right now.

It's the those week one sales numbers for a Friday launch that worry many of us and they hinge heavily on day 1 & 2- with the overwhelming plurality of the sales of a big AAA title launch happening in the first week. Do you want to see 230K sales in the first week (R2) or 1.3-2.8 million?

My Trade list:

#249 BostonCollegeFan

BostonCollegeFan

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:06 AM

The mass public know that Gamestop have a demo. They do not care about it on PSN. If they want it, and want Killzone enough on day one they'll pre-order it. Again, thinking CAG and GAF are representated of the gaming public is wrong. The average gamer goes into a gamestop and asks them "whats coming out" and they go "Oh Killzone is. If you pre-order it you get a demo of the game". No casual gamer goes and cries because there's not a demo on PSN. for two weeks prior to release. You guys are making bullshit and false assumptions like they're members only jackets circa 1985.

Plus Sony has already said they've had around a million pre-orders for it worldwide. And anyone who doesn't buy it on day one, can download the demo on day one and get it on day two, contributing to the week one sales.

So again, why does this matter?

#250 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:17 AM

Congratulations on 150 episodes!
This episode was great, especially the part about your wives.

Shipwreck, you really need to post pictures or a video of your legendary basement.

But then he'd be showing the pit where he tells girls "It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again."

#251 Rusty Ghia

Rusty Ghia

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

Wombat, I have the Turtle Beach X2 and I use it all the time with my PS3 and Xbox 360 (and Wii and PC and...) and it works great. Dead Space sounds awesome with them.

As for chat, you can use your X4 on the PS3. You need to get an USB soundcard. Turtle Beach sells some, but I have this one from monoprice.com. I have used it on the Killzone 2 multi-player beta and it works just fine.
"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Bixby Snyder

#252 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:40 AM

The mass public know that Gamestop have a demo. They do not care about it on PSN. If they want it, and want Killzone enough on day one they'll pre-order it. You guys are making bullshit and false assumptions like they're members only jackets circa 1985.

. . .

My Trade list:

#253 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:59 AM

What happened to discussing future consoles for CAGcast 150?

sig.gif

#254 Xavin

Xavin

cFX Erryday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:05 AM

What happened to discussing future consoles for CAGcast 150?

I was wondering that too...

Posted Image

#255 BLUEMANRULE

BLUEMANRULE

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

This episode was cool. I like Shipwreck's input on issues. He adds different flavor. I loved the intro music in episodes 148-149.

While Sony isn't doing the PS3 and favors w/it's promotion of Killzone, Microsoft isn't moving mountains either. I can't wait until GDC is over with. Maybe then we will see what Microsoft is planning for Q3.

#256 spineynorman

spineynorman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:42 AM

My 5 year old daughter is an avid gamer and she's currently playing Banjo Kazooie (the original). I told her you were giving away Nuts and Bolts and asked her to come up with something that would convince you that she should be awarded with the game.

"Because I really really like Banjo Kazooie and I like how the bird can fly <flaps arms> and the bird is my friend Issac's favorite color - red. And it's funny when the little fairy says Cauldron Butt."

So that's her pitch.

Awesome show. The Mario fart had me rofling.

#257 Mud_BooDa

Mud_BooDa

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:35 AM

I wish my Wife wanted me to play games.. :( Yeah for real Can we get some Flix of Shipwreck's the GI Joe Hideout??

#258 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:56 AM

The mass public know that Gamestop have a demo. They do not care about it on PSN. If they want it, and want Killzone enough on day one they'll pre-order it. Again, thinking CAG and GAF are representated of the gaming public is wrong. The average gamer goes into a gamestop and asks them "whats coming out" and they go "Oh Killzone is. If you pre-order it you get a demo of the game". No casual gamer goes and cries because there's not a demo on PSN. for two weeks prior to release. You guys are making bullshit and false assumptions like they're members only jackets circa 1985.

Plus Sony has already said they've had around a million pre-orders for it worldwide. And anyone who doesn't buy it on day one, can download the demo on day one and get it on day two, contributing to the week one sales.

So again, why does this matter?

Your arguments are contradictory. First you believe the micro communities aren't reflective of the gaming public, then as a member of one of those communities, you think you represent the gaming public. I don't think the "masses" even know about the demo at Gamestop, and I think they might want to know why it isn't already on the PSN. Yeah, it might be available on release day, but the whole point of marketing is to create anticipation and demand before the release. And Sony may have logged a million pre-orders already, but if they'd released the demo last month, they may have been looking at 2 million pre-orders by now.

But that's just my opinion, I could just be a crybaby casual gamer who paid $400 for a console with a harddrive and internet access so that I can get freaking demos delivered to my unit instead of having to go to a store I don't even like. Don't get me wrong, I love bonuses, I just don't like bullshit worthless ones.

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#259 Roth

Roth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:25 AM

Reply to Wombat's concerns about The Conduit:

Solution to the spinning problem: Press Home to PAUSE
The graphics are definitely comparable to that of Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode One, and maybe even Half Life 2: Episode Two to some degree.

There's more to FPS than just controls and graphics. There's always room for better graphics, but who actually tries to make some interesting new weapons that distinguishes the game from other FPS.

Wombat needs more time with the game to tell us more about its online multiplayer which hasn't been mentioned in any podcast or hands-on yet. Keep up the great work guys! \:D/

// Roth

#260 Falion

Falion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:31 AM

Good point. Considering that some demos give people an unfavorable preview of a game (Burnout Paradise, RE5) before its release, it's only smart of Sony to grant the early demo as a reward to those who have already invested in the game, and to give the free demo to everyone else sometime after the game's release. That way, the people who most likely have already convinced themselves that they'll love the game will be singing its praises before the launch.

...here's hoping I win that Nuts & Bolts game! ;)

#261 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:49 AM

Glad to hear Wombat is a Burn Notice fan. Keep plugging it on the CagCast. I love that show and more people need to know about it so that it never gets cancelled. Plus it has Bruce Campbell in it, so how could anyone not like it ?

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#262 GogetaSS4

GogetaSS4

Super Saiyan 4

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

We need more Lunch with CheapyD!!!

GogetaSS4sig-v2.gifApostleOfGod.png

#263 orko60

orko60

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

Here's a link to a study that shows that demos actually hurt game sales. There are a few exceptions, but I think that without a demo, Killzone would do better (ala GTA4 and MGS4).

http://www.gamedaily...e-sales/?page=1
Posted Image

#264 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

Here's a link to a study that shows that demos actually hurt game sales. There are a few exceptions, but I think that without a demo, Killzone would do better (ala GTA4 and MGS4).

I know that GT4 would have lost some sales if they would have released a demo. If people would have be able to preview the terrible driving controls (or gameplay), it would have convinced a lot of people to leave the game alone.

Don't forget even Wombat himself, have talked about good games having bad demos. Thus, releasing a demo for some games, according to statistics are worthless, and then there's the risk of releasing a demo that doesn't do the game justice.
Posted Image

#265 MaxDense

MaxDense

Enter Sandman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

I noticed that 60% of the people who read that article disagreed...

Now Playing:
:ps3: Burnout Paradise
:360: Call of Cthulhu

Edited by MaxDense, 20 February 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#266 canestim

canestim

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

No fart this show Wombat? haha

Talking about Shipwrecks GI Joe collection was funny as hell. I like it when you guys give that personal touch to the podcast. Keep up the great work guys.

#267 padumavati

padumavati

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

I was pleased to hear about your experiences with dating (or not) other gamers. I can't believe that Mrs. Cheapy likes to watch Cheapy play so much! I thought I was alone! I love to watch people play. My current boyfriend plays video games less than I do, so I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of good games that aren't the type I'd play myself.
That said, I played Flower and agreed with your review. I loved Flower and thought it had a wonderful narrative. I don't think that lack of a main character (or at least, a character with a more developed personality) detracted at all from the game. The interaction between the petals and the landscape tells you what your character is like, since there are 6 of them. In short, I want more games like Flower! Inexpensive, short, satisfying, and beautiful. :)
Capcom is ridiculous. If they are making assertions in an attempt to influence sales in the US that can easily be refuted by one guy in Japan, causing them to "re-word," then that's just sad. That's like telling the school bully your dad is Superman - it's obviously not true, and you're just gonna get punched in the face.
And finally, I like it when Shipwreck joins the show! Sometimes he tempers the crudeness that Cheapy and Wombat are wont to display. Not too much, though. ;) Good show, guys. It always makes my spreadsheet drudgery go much faster.

#268 Senor Hurt

Senor Hurt

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

When you guys started talking about Sony's expectation for Killzone and how much they need it to sell successfully I thought:

Sony shouldn't need just one game to do well to sell the system.
Sony should be flooding us with multiple good games on PS3.
The PS2 was successful because of the variety of good games on it. First party and third party.
The PSP is an example of Sony not making sure that the system had enough games on it.
The DS is outselling it not because Imagine Babies is an amazing game but because it one of a variety of games available to new consumers. Where is "PSPdogs?" In other words, where is the shear number and variety of games for the platform.
Sony should think about more 3rd party development. If God of War 3 won't be out until the 5th year in the console's life-cycle then they're in trouble because although God of War came out long after the PS2's launch and by the time it was out the PS2 had sold tens of millions of consoles, and more importantly hundreds of millions of GAMES.
Sony should make more 1st party games and to combat the long development time they should be budget titles at initial release and they should varied in genres. Oh and avoid shipping with any "controversial" music lyrics that make you reissue the game. Poor LBP it could have a bigger hit without the stuttered start.
Sony needs to remember that it's all about the GAMES!!! not Blueray not internet interfaces just games: lots of games and as much variety of game as you can throw at it.

#269 Alphateam

Alphateam

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

That fart video was funny. The Mario follow up were even better. GOod job.

#270 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

I agree with Wombat about Dead Space. That game is amazing and I would not change a damn thing about it, so I can see where you [Wombat] are coming from when you said that it is a perfect game.

Flower is a game. I don't like how people state Flower is not a game because there is no dieing, no losing, and as Cheapy said it is not very "game-y." There is no official rule set that defines the exact constitution of a game. Flower is just as much of a game as any other game.