Photo
- - - - -

Amazon preorders for DSi now available (both colors, $169.99 shipped) ** BACK UP **

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#31 The Green Giant

The Green Giant

Supreme Overlord of the Multiverse

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

I'm one of the few people in this world that still doesn't have a DS of any kind. Still pondering whether I should get a DS Lite or DSi. I don't really need a GBA port, so I'm leaning more toward a DSi. Any other thoughts?

The DS Lite might lower in price and some games need the GBA port.

I'm not buying either, however that blue is sexy. :)

#32 irc_email

irc_email

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

I sooooo want a DSi just work that WiFi shop. Even the PSP doesn't have it. Too bad Nintendo doesn't know how to put in expandable memory in the Wii:/

wait what?

the PSP has access to the PlayStation Store, I'm looking at it on my PSP right now

Yeah, but it is shit.

I agree, but you indicated that the PSP did not include the feature at all, stop spreading misinformation.

#33 OldKai

OldKai

Don't Mess With the Old.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

I pre-ordered, overnight shipping was only $10 too. We'll see where I'm at in early April though.

#34 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

Yeah, if the DSi connects through WPA on my wireless router, that would be the biggest plus for me. I mean this thing is supposed to have worse battery life than the DS Lite, which makes sense since it has more junk in it, but , c'mon...the battery life is such a huge feature. I wish my DS Lite connected WPA. Doesn't make any sense.

Well, it looks like it's a yes and no answer to that question:

http://ds.ign.com/ar...4/954616p2.html

Guess I will have to set up an AP for WEP only just for the DSi, like I would for the DS. :wall:

#35 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

Huh, people think this is going to be hard to get? I guess if it's a failure it will be. otherwise there will be plenty available.

You've got to consider that even the easiest to manufacture Nintendo products seems to become scarce these days. Look at Mario Kart Wii... they could easily crap out enough copies to meet demand but for some unknown reason there is still a shortage.

#36 manda65

manda65

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hmm I'm happy with my ds lite but that blue is so pretty ;)

#37 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Guess I will have to set up an AP for WEP only just for the DSi, like I would for the DS. :wall:

Thanks for that link. Reading the article makes it appear that they've done nothing to address the issue of more then one DSi in the same household, as it applies to downloaded software. Downloaded software is stored in the internal memory and presumably is locked to the particular DSi, just like on the Wii. Unlike a cartridge game you can't play your games on any of your DSi, only one the one it is downloaded on. This royally sucks. Any alleged value associated with downloads is lost once your kids start wanting to play the game you downloaded too. Either that or you play a ridiculous game of pass the DSi's, passing DSi's back and forth such that you play the right game on the right DSi. Absolutely ludicrous.

Crunchewy.png

#38 Ryouko

Ryouko

Where's my danish?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

I wasn't going to get one of these, but that new blue color is way too sexy. In for one! Thanks for the heads up. :)

#39 Bojizzle

Bojizzle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

In for black. That blue is ugly.
I have a DS Lite, but it's the original release and is starting to show some wear.
Plus, any addition to the screen size is a plus.

Was the DS Lite hard to find at launch? I don't think it was. I remember calling Game Crazy the day it came out and they had a bunch in stock.
I don't know why people are complaining about the lack of a GBA slot. The DS Lite isn't going away. If you want a GBA slot then get a DS Lite.

#40 FloodsAreUponUS

FloodsAreUponUS

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

I wonder if this will be rare on release.
Probably not.
In for 1 just in case.

"It’s so much easier for kids to jerk off than it used to be. When I was young, you had to find the Sears catalog, flip to the lingerie section… Now, with the Internet, I just turn on my computer, get online and go right to sears.com."

#41 gmsisko1

gmsisko1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Will Amazon bill my credit card after the item has shipped?
(I think so)

http://www.hermancain.com/hitm.asp

#42 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Will Amazon bill my credit card after the item has shipped?
(I think so)

Yep, they sure will!
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#43 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Wow... didn't realize they were coming out so soon.

That blue is interesting. I can't decide whether I like or not, but would likely end up going with it just because it's new.

Yeah I feel the same way about the blue, but I am in for one in matte black. The wife is into the DS now, so maybe I can get her into some multiplayer games.
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#44 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

Already posted this in the Gamestop thread. That's where I saw the Amazon link.

In for a black one from Amazon.

#45 heyo007

heyo007

Loco for P.B.Loco PB!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Well, I'm sort of a sucker when it comes to console releases, so I'm in for a blue (and possibly a black). Can't wait to get this and play the english version of Rythm Heaven. Maybe some instructions will help me pass that frickin' singing trio part in the game.

Relax; It's only the internet.

#46 AwesomeD

AwesomeD

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

Ordered the Black one. Better be some good DSiWare for this.
Posted Image

#47 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

:-k

I never seen that blue thing before.
I am interested in this DSi thing ... Hmmm...

Possibly a blue one.

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#48 YodaEXE

YodaEXE

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

When I first heard about these, I was tempted to order one. The lack of a GBA slot kills it for me though. I still pull out games like Golden Sun 1 and 2 (in my opinion, the 2 best RPGs on the GBA) and play them. My Lite does just fine.
Posted Image

#49 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

Ordered two of them. Hopefully selling one will pay part of the one I keep.

#50 dmes65

dmes65

God Of Thunder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

thanks op, i got a black one.

#51 jonrosing

jonrosing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

in for 1 black. Thanks OP!

#52 SimaYi

SimaYi

Ready 4 BlackFriday!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

Doesnt the bigger screen make the graphics/jaggies in games worse?

#53 Tooki

Tooki

Taidan Destroyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

Is it just me or does that shade of blue look hideous? I'll stick with my red & black DS Lite thank you very much.

#54 blk00civicsi

blk00civicsi

Pillsbury Island

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

Will only bite if Ninty fixed the horrendous WEP security access. Who still uses that form of wireless security?
"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everybody thinks everyone else's stinks"

#55 sickenmcsluggets

sickenmcsluggets

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

FTA: "The second three profiles in the DSi Wi-Fi options menu are for Nintendo DSi-native software, including the DSi Shop Channel as well as the downloadable Opera Browser. These second-tier profiles can use enhanced encryption, including WPA and WPA2. It has to be noted that, to remain compatible with the Nintendo DS and DS Lite, existing online DS games can only use the first three profiles which cannot use the enhanced WPA protection. "

Why would they bother having two tiers of encryption? I can't believe the network features on a DS Lite game are affected by the encryption protocol that the hardware is performing...unless the WPA encryption is so processor intensive that it can't handle it and video gaming at the same time. Apparently WPA encryption and web browsing are fine though?

#56 tholly

tholly

R.I.P. HD-DVD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

Ordered one of each color. One day shipping. If I can sell one and pay off most of the other, I'll keep one. If not, and I can sell both for profit, I will.

If it looks like there won't be a demand for these, I'll cancel the preorders....plenty of time to see what will happen until April gets here.
Excel Collection Spreadsheet
WTB: Magnavox Odyssey 2 The Voice manual / box & Sega 32x Spider-man & Pitfall

#57 blk00civicsi

blk00civicsi

Pillsbury Island

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

FTA: "The second three profiles in the DSi Wi-Fi options menu are for Nintendo DSi-native software, including the DSi Shop Channel as well as the downloadable Opera Browser. These second-tier profiles can use enhanced encryption, including WPA and WPA2. It has to be noted that, to remain compatible with the Nintendo DS and DS Lite, existing online DS games can only use the first three profiles which cannot use the enhanced WPA protection. "

Why would they bother having two tiers of encryption? I can't believe the network features on a DS Lite game are affected by the encryption protocol that the hardware is performing...unless the WPA encryption is so processor intensive that it can't handle it and video gaming at the same time. Apparently WPA encryption and web browsing are fine though?

Just reading that actually...

Also found this too...
http://exophase.com/...ftware-8327.htm

Which lead me to this...
http://www.computera...e.php?id=198728

Kind of off-putting. Looks like I'll be sticking with my Lime and Black DSL's
"Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everybody thinks everyone else's stinks"

#58 SuperTongue

SuperTongue

CAG Creeper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

I'm in for one. The black looks pretty nice on some of the video previews I've seen.

Though I might cancel depending on the amount of money I have.
Posted Image

Posted Image

:3ds: 3DS Friend Code: 4167 - 4522 - 4223

#59 sickenmcsluggets

sickenmcsluggets

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:37 AM

Yep, between that, the battery life, the price, and the region-locking, it sounds like if what you really want to do is play DS games, the DS Lite is what you want. Plus if the DS Lite gets marked down eventually against the DSi, then that will be even better. Also, what the hell am I going to do with AAC? All I have are mp3s.

#60 danny8k

danny8k

for(;;) printf("^_^");

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

does anyone know if the DSi will support WPA encryption? I really don't want to change my wifi to WEP only for my DS.
Posted Image Posted Image