WTF is going on at Kotaku

withoutnature

CAGiversary!
http://kotaku.com/5157832/weekend-coupons-halo-3-legendary-for-40

There were some questions on the last cagcast about the so-called kotaku feud that is going on. I know that cheapy wants people to drop this, but when i read this post i felt like something is up.

Newegg has listed a Halo 3 Legendary Edition - that's the one that comes with a helmet - for $40. While two years old, the bundle is still going for $130 on Amazon. [CheapCollegeGamer]
Deals are being posted linking back to a second rate site like "CheapCollegeGamer" WTF is that about?

Ugh, did you even listen to the CAGCast all the way through? Cheapy mentioned a pretty plausible theory: Since Kotaku is partially run on "tips" from readers, that tells us that it's very likely that the owner of CCG is likely the one posting deals on his site and submitting it to Kotaku himself for free publicity.

[quote name='withoutnature']http://kotaku.com/5157832/weekend-coupons-halo-3-legendary-for-40

There were some questions on the last cagcast about the so-called kotaku feud that is going on. I know that cheapy wants people to drop this, but when i read this post i felt like something is up.

Deals are being posted linking back to a second rate site like "CheapCollegeGamer" WTF is that about?[/quote]

I raised the issue before and Cheapy answered it on the last podcast. Check the CAGBag segment.

I remember asking about it on the CAGbag a few weeks ago. Then Kotaku made another post about that site and I saw MSUHitman's comment on that post. Then MSU also submitted a CAGbag question about it.

Despite what Cheapy said, Kotaku should definitely be linking to CAG, which is the site that truly deserves first recognition. It's really hard to believe that CheapCollegeGamer got those deals without the help of CheapAssGamer. It's just really odd that Kotaku keeps linking to them and not to CAG when it's obvious who is really busting the deals. Then again, there are many people writing for Kotaku and not all of them personally know Cheapy or CAG.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']
It's really hard to believe that CheapCollegeGamer got those deals without the help of CheapAssGamer. [/quote]

Won't know that untiil CheapCollegeGamer lists a price drop on the Xbox Pure. ;)

[quote name='ssssss']What the hell is CheapCollegeGamer? And it's obvious they just steal every deal from here :roll:[/quote]

They?

It's one dude (named GoldenChild) and he is the only active member on his forums. Haha, you got to see his Offtopic discussions, he's basically talking to himself.

Wow that's pretty ridiculous, that site is a horrible fake, the most replies a thread has is 2...that kind of trafficked site gets to be linked on Kotaku? Link my blog then or my moms Myspace

I think things like this hurt Kotaku and the staff, it just makes them seem childish good thing I never go there...

Guys, Kotaku is a joke. There's a reason why they don't bother checking their facts or sources. It's because they get paid by how much crap they can churn out in a day and page views. Cheapy can be an apologist if he likes (he does have friends there), but Kotaku has gone to shit since Gawker made that move last year.

I used to go to Kotaku . . . I think it will slowly wither away. The level of journalism has gone down significantly there. Those guys there seem to feel way more important than they are.

Kotaku is a fuck ing joke of a site. Just read Joystiq

Edit: Cresente is also a douchebag

Last edited by a moderator:
fuck you guys, CheapCollegeGamer is awesome.

Their Admin CheapyG is in no way a rip-off of CheapyD, he is not totally bald he only has a receding hairline. Plus his website is so much more like me, I'm a college student not an ASS. The community there is MUCh better than this one and its actually CAGs stealing their deals! Even Kotaku took notice. And they're upcoming podcast the CCGcast is going to be awesome with their co-host Badger471 and they have a married couple (the Flightwarmers0 with another podcast, and they've been married for a lot longer than the Shipwrecks so they aren't copying anyone.

But anyways competition is good, its not like Cheapy has a monopoly on it and the site will either be a great addition for us gamers or not provide anything CAG doesn't already do better and die.

[quote name='Pojomofo']Kotaku is a fuck ing joke of a site. Just read Joystiq

Edit: Cresente is also a douchebag[/quote]

Thing is Joystiq and Destructoid have about 1/2 the posts Kotaku does, and not all of them are rumors. If Joystiq had the amount of daily content Kotaku did, Joystiq would be my main blog, but it doesn't work out that way.

CCG just isn't as good as an abbreviation as "CAG". You can't even pronounce it like a word!

[quote name='MSUHitman']Thing is Joystiq and Destructoid have about 1/2 the posts Kotaku does, and not all of them are rumors. If Joystiq had the amount of daily content Kotaku did, Joystiq would be my main blog, but it doesn't work out that way.[/quote]

I read Joystiq more often since they only post news (with actual opinion not just lame one liners) and the once in a while off hand, fun story. Kotaku posts everything and I do mean everything. Someone made a video farting the Mario song? Kotaku would post it. There's no quality control and for the most part most stories are setup so they can be as inflamatory as possible to generate hits.

At least for me, less is more. However, I understand why people go there.

I started off reading kotaku for game news before I discovered a lot of the other sites I read today. Kotaku has really fallen off of my radar, but I have nothing against them. They just seem slow to break anything relevant

cheap college gamer? not to go completely off topic, but would that have anything to do with cheap ass students .com ?

im not sure if that site's still up, though...they had a ton of links to cheap textbook sites which were always down and the same digital camera deal on their homepage for months

[quote name='sdp']fuck you guys, CheapCollegeGamer is awesome.

Their Admin CheapyG is in no way a rip-off of CheapyD, he is not totally bald he only has a receding hairline. Plus his website is so much more like me, I'm a college student not an ASS. The community there is MUCh better than this one and its actually CAGs stealing their deals! Even Kotaku took notice. And they're upcoming podcast the CCGcast is going to be awesome with their co-host Badger471 and they have a married couple (the Flightwarmers0 with another podcast, and they've been married for a lot longer than the Shipwrecks so they aren't copying anyone.

But anyways competition is good, its not like Cheapy has a monopoly on it and the site will either be a great addition for us gamers or not provide anything CAG doesn't already do better and die.[/quote]
Hahah, I was just laughing for a while. Thanks. :)

[quote name='sdp']fuck you guys, CheapCollegeGamer is awesome.

But anyways competition is good, its not like Cheapy has a monopoly on it and the site will either be a great addition for us gamers or not provide anything CAG doesn't already do better and die.[/QUOTE]

Post of the year.

I love how the site has only a handful of registered users... most with zero posts, a few with a couple of posts, and then the admin with 1200+ posts.

:lol:

Because Kotaku has proven they will post anything without any factchecking at all, its pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Do yourself a favor and just stiq to Joystiq

Is Kotaku STILL that hellbent on pretending they weren't at fault for completely fucking up that "new 360 model" news post that they took from CAG and blamed CheapyD for?

[quote name='Vinny']I love how the site has only a handful of registered users... most with zero posts, a few with a couple of posts, and then the admin with 1200+ posts.[/quote]

I must be bored, because I just looked...only the admin has posts that haven't been deleted. The rest must have been from spammers and/or CAGs yelling at him.

The whole situation is pretty laughable.

This is basically the same as if someone started a website called Kothanku.com which had no traffic or commenters, filled their website with content from Kotaku and Destructoid, and then sent Kothanku tips to Joystiq.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if blogs link to us or not. I'm pretty convinced (and I have the traffic information to back it up) that most readers of blogs seldom click through to the source site. The bloggers put so much info in their post, there is really no reason to check out the source.

I'll take one link from Penny Arcade or Digg against 5 links from any of the top gaming 5 blogs. Hmm...this might make an interesting blog post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno who is the bigger douche--the "lone deal stealer" with his laughably lame site, or Kotaku for posting that shit.

Seriously, what harm is it to just credit CAG for the deal news? A hit is a hit, right?

[quote name='gunm']I dunno who is the bigger douche--the "lone deal stealer" with his laughably lame site, or Kotaku for posting that shit.

Seriously, what harm is it to just credit CAG for the deal news?[/QUOTE]

Kotaku's universe would collapse. Remember, CAG has "no credibility" due to something a forum user wrote in their blog here.

However, a site STEALING from CAG is credible enough for publication.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'll take one link from Penny Arcade or Digg against 5 links from any of the top gaming 5 blogs. Hmm...this might make an interesting blog post.[/quote]

How much traffic did you get when Tycho linked to shipwreck's blog post last week?

[quote name='Shady3011']How much traffic did you get when Tycho linked to shipwreck's blog post last week?[/quote]
At the end of this month I will do a blog post with all the #s.

bread's done
Back