Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

• Please log in to reply
6200 replies to this topic

Poll: What will be your Shepard's main class in Mass Effect 2?

What will be your Shepard's main class in Mass Effect 2?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1981 Lord_Kefka

Lord_Kefka

Son of a Submariner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

It might be worth it for the refresher, they really pull up just about every NPC you interacted with. If anything, play it and make different decisions so you can see how it affects ME2.

I'm still not done with my first playthrough of ME2, but afterwards I plan on going back and importing a more Renegade character and see what changes.

Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

My Tradelist

#1982 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

It has an effect, but not really a mass effect. *rimshot*

you get some little perks right off the bat and get to see some little differences, but it's not a completely different game or anything.

I will say that playing ME1 first makes you appreciate ME2 more. the only other sequel to improve this much in recent memory is Uncharted 2. I can't imagine playing 2 then going back to 1. 1 is short and most of the sidequests are not all that important.

#1983 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

As others have said, besides the perks of importing a character, the decisions you made in ME will carry over and affect the story in ME2. Yeah, it's definitely not dramatic changes, but many plot elements will be different, depending on who lived, who died, etc. And as Kefka pointed out, almost every NPC you interacted with or mission you did in the first game will have some kind of presence in ME2. You might see the NPC again, you might get an e-mail from them, or you might hear about something on a news cast.

#1984 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

Spoiler

Regarding starting again with the same ME2 character.

Spoiler

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1985 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=215416
Posted Image

#1986 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

I just beat the game for my second time on my Renegade playthrough
Spoiler

That DLC shotgun totally rapes, btw. The armor I didn't like, with the exception of the open face. That part looked good.

#1987 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

If you wanted to kill Thane in your situation....

Spoiler

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1988 poison_SHADOW

poison_SHADOW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

Man, they need to stop with the one piece suits. Come on, if they're going to add more armor why not just add new pieces? I would love new customizable armor pieces. I doubt I'll ever use the Cerberus, Inferno, Terminus, or Collector armor. Still debating on the Blood Dragon suit... really wish you could take the helmet off.

At least it's free, and included an awesome shotty. I don't even have any shotgun upgrades for my Vanguard yet and I already love the new shotty.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#1989 gargus

gargus

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

It has an effect, but not really a mass effect. *rimshot*

you get some little perks right off the bat and get to see some little differences, but it's not a completely different game or anything.

I will say that playing ME1 first makes you appreciate ME2 more. the only other sequel to improve this much in recent memory is Uncharted 2. I can't imagine playing 2 then going back to 1. 1 is short and most of the sidequests are not all that important.

Yeah guess Ill go back and play it on 360 if nothing else a refresher and even if it is just little things that are a result then thats cool.

And yeah all the sidequests werent important, even the big DLC one after I finished it in like 45 minutes all I thought was "Im glad I didnt get the 360 version Id have been pissed if I paid for this". So hopefully ME2 side quests are little more interesting atleast.

Well soon as I finish darksiders Ill get cracking on ME1 and then try ME2.

Thanks folks.

#1990 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

Basically you'll get bonuses in experience, credits and minerals depending on the level of character you import. More for level 50 than lower, more for level 60 than level 50, bonus credits if you had a rich character in ME1 (assume that means getting the achievement for having 1 million credits in the first) etc.

And as other's note, there's lots of little references to your decisions in the first game. Whether you let characters live or die, whether you helped a NPC with a quest or not, your decision about the council at the end of the game.

None of it has much of an impact on the main story or gameplay or anything. But it did add a lot to the experience for me as it gives a sense that you're having an impact in the galaxy, and that your decisions matter.

It will be interesting to see what they do with this in ME3 as it seems the end game decisions in ME2 should be pretty consequential going forward.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1991 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

LOL. I just about to chime in here to mention how they somehow made the armor even uglier than when I first saw it. Oh God... that shit is hideous, haha. The only vast improvement from the rest of them is that you can partially see your Shepard's face in it. I can't wait to try out the shotgun on Insanity with my canon Vanguard. I'll admit this particular part of description turned me on slightly: "The M-22 shaves off serrated metal wedges designed to fly aerodynamically."

IT SHAVES OFF SERRATED METAL WEDGES DESIGNED TO FLY AERODYNAMICALLY DAMNIT. DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS? IT IS OFFICIALLY HALF AS AWESOME AS A SHOTGUN THAT FIRES SHOTGUNS IN SPACE!

...How could you not want to sleep with it at night?

If its range is even the slightest bit reminiscent of ME1 shotties then I'm going to write someone an anonymous love letter. >_>;

Are you serious? It is not that bad... The helmet would look better looking like the old N7 armor helmets. But, it is decent. Have you NOT seen the Inferno Armor??

#1992 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Quick question, if I bone the ladies in Mass Effect 1 can I still bone the ladies in ME2?

#1993 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

"An Inquisition" You Say?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Quick question, if I bone the ladies in Mass Effect 1 can I still bone the ladies in ME2?

Yes, you can bone any of the romance options that you wish. However, the "lady you boned in ME1" will not appreciate that in ME3 - something to think about.

0sm4.png

#1994 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Yes, you can bone any of the romance options that you wish. However, the "lady you boned in ME1" will not appreciate that in ME3 - something to think about.

Though....

Spoiler

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1995 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

So ME3 > Tiger Wood Scandal. :D

#1996 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

"An Inquisition" You Say?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

Though....

Spoiler

I just don't get why so many people go through the trouble of romancing all three "options" if you're going to just revert back to the ME1 love interest. If someone's just interested to see the specific scenes, I can link them in this thread. The only reason I do the romances is so they'll carry over to ME3 (though I don't have a ME1 love interest to worry about for my Paragon Shepard 8-)).

0sm4.png

#1997 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

It's not much trouble, just a couple quick conversation options. I don't really care about the romance angle. I kind of like my Shepard being a James Bond type and just romancing who ever he can. :D

Though like I said, I'll probably stick with Tali now as I don't care that much about going back to Liara. She wasn't great, there just wasn't anyway I was romancing Ashley with her personality and religious crap in the first game.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1998 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Personally, I don't care how Ashley feels in ME3.

She was Fuck-ugly anyways.

A quick question about getting to level 30: What's the best way to do it? When I finished my first playthrough I was at level 24, maybe 25? Are there enough "search random planets" sidequests to inch my way up to 30?

Or should I just try for it on my Insanity playthrough (if I go for one)?

#1999 moojuice

moojuice

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

Haven't leveled a character up to 30, but I'm fairly sure all "scan planet" sidequests only net 150 XP, so I would assume New Game+ would be the best way to continue leveling.

#2000 Dasflikko

Dasflikko

I want a cookie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

Though like I said, I'll probably stick with Tali now as I don't care that much about going back to Liara. She wasn't great, there just wasn't anyway I was romancing Ashley with her personality and religious crap in the first game.

God.... Ashley was the WORST. Seriously, her racist remarks pretty much guaranteed that she was going to die in every single ME1 game I did. Bioware should have added an "airlock" option for her, I'd have been happy to send her through it from the moment she stepped on the Normandy.

#2001 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

A quick question about getting to level 30: What's the best way to do it? When I finished my first playthrough I was at level 24, maybe 25? Are there enough "search random planets" sidequests to inch my way up to 30?

Yeah just do it on an imported playthrough. You get a 25% experience bonus with an imported character, so you'll get it in no time. Every main story/character mission is a level up. I was level 28 and got to 30 in no time--just the kick off mission where you wake up, and the first one after that to get to 30.

Otherwise it's tough to get with one play through. I did all the N7 planet scanning anomaly missions, every loyalty quest, every assignment I came across (which should be most as I was pretty good about talking to everyone etc. and only got to 28.

I'm hoping the DLC will be enough to get it to 30 though, as I want that level 28 end game save to be the main character I import into ME3 and would like to get it up to level 30 without having to do another full playthrough.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2002 James1221

James1221

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:09 PM

import a lvl 60 character and do all the scanned planet missions and the majority of the side quests, all the story and loyalty missions and you will turn lvl 30 in the middle of the last mission.

#2003 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Yeah just do it on an imported playthrough. You get a 25% experience bonus with an imported character, so you'll get it in no time. Every main story/character mission is a level up. I was level 28 and got to 30 in no time--just the kick off mission where you wake up, and the first one after that to get to 30.

Otherwise it's tough to get with one play through. I did all the N7 planet scanning anomaly missions, every loyalty quest, every assignment I came across (which should be most as I was pretty good about talking to everyone etc. and only got to 28.

I'm hoping the DLC will be enough to get it to 30 though, as I want that level 28 end game save to be the main character I import into ME3 and would like to get it up to level 30 without having to do another full playthrough.

Why wouldn't you just do a second playthrough with the guy you want in ME3? Would you not be able to import if you did?

And to the guy above, I don't have a level 60 character, or ME1 to even get to that point. My ME1 save was only 39

#2004 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

Why wouldn't you just do a second playthrough with the guy you want in ME3? Would you not be able to import if you did?

I'm 100% happy with all the decisions I made and want to carry them over for my main ME3 character, so if I do a second playthrough I just be doing the exact same thing over again which would be boring as hell. I tried playing on Insanity and hated it (not into hard games) so that reason for replaying with the same character/choices is out as well.

Edited by dmaul1114, 09 February 2010 - 09:30 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2005 io

io

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Regarding starting again with the same ME2 character.

Spoiler

Well, that still didn't quite answer my issue. I don't care about reclassing. I just want to start my second playthrough with my post-game leveled up character (where I went back and did all the little quests). I'm guessing that is not possible - it will only want to use my very end of game save, and not the one after that? In any case, I'll find out tonight when I start it up in Insanity. Hopefully that new shotgun helps me out a bit, though I never really used shotguns in my first playthrough. They seemed less than useful to me.

As for the romance thing:
Spoiler

About importing from ME1 and hitting level 30:
Spoiler

#2006 bebop

bebop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hey so I preordered this game from amazon. Just picked it up (had it shipped to my parents house). I got my 10$ bonus credit for future amazon purchases(emailed it to me) but I there is no infernal armor bonus code. Is the code on a card like the cerebrus network code? or is amazon supposed to email them out? Did they run out? Should I bitch at them? Did anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

#2007 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Well, that still didn't quite answer my issue. I don't care about reclassing. I just want to start my second playthrough with my post-game leveled up character (where I went back and did all the little quests). I'm guessing that is not possible - it will only want to use my very end of game save, and not the one after that?

Ok I get you now. Yes you are correct. You can only import the end game save. Anything you do on that end game save after the ending will not be imported to a new game. Only what ever level your at, upgrades you've completed etc. you have done at the time you beat the final boss.

So your best option--if possible--to do what you want to do is load a save before doing the IFF mission. Then go and do everything you can--all the planet quests etc. before doing that mission. Then when you're done do that, Legions loyalty quest and beat the game again. Then you'll have that end game save to import.

As for the romance thing:

Spoiler

In your cabin there will be a picture of your ME1 love interest. It will be face down now since you've done romance stuff in this game. But you can import your ME1 save again and get to the cabin and see who's picture it is.

Edited by dmaul1114, 09 February 2010 - 10:48 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2008 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

Hey so I preordered this game from amazon. Just picked it up (had it shipped to my parents house). I got my 10$ bonus credit for future amazon purchases(emailed it to me) but I there is no infernal armor bonus code. Is the code on a card like the cerebrus network code? or is amazon supposed to email them out? Did they run out? Should I bitch at them? Did anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

It comes in an e-mail from Amazon. It can take up to 10 days after release, but I've never had a pre-order bonus take more than 4 or so.

Check your spam folders, and if it's not there, e-mail Amazon.

#2009 io

io

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:17 AM

Just got my GameInformer and was taken aback by the first line in the rewiew: "The second chapter in the Mass Effect trilogy is more of an enigma than the first, weaving through enough moral ambiguity, ghost-like images, and misleading plot twists to make the writers of the TV show Lost take note.".

Uh, while I think it is an excellent game and agree with their overall score (9.75) the one thing that struck me at the end of ME2 was the utter and complete lack of any plot twists and surprises. This stood out to me in particular when compared to the first game. In fact, I'd say that was really my only disappointment with the game overall. Did the GI reviewers even play the game? That opening line makes me distrust anything else they have to say about the game! :lol:

Plot summary:
Spoiler

#2010 timesplitt

timesplitt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

omg reaper. totally awesome plot twist. one large plottwist =/= ten small ones