Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

• Please log in to reply
6200 replies to this topic

Poll: What will be your Shepard's main class in Mass Effect 2?

What will be your Shepard's main class in Mass Effect 2?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#2011 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

Yeah the only things really close to twists or even surprises were:

Spoiler

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2012 Chibi_Kaji

Chibi_Kaji

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:43 AM

Spoiler

Only 5 people on the internet didn't know that first one. For some reason Bioware and the games press had to make sure everyone knew it.
"People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children." - Bill Watterson

Posted Image

#2013 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

Only 5 people on the internet didn't know that first one. For some reason Bioware and the games press had to make sure everyone knew it.

Yeah, I was one of those 5.

I had read that
Spoiler

I pretty much avoided everything about it, like I do for most sequels to my favorite games. They're must buys anyway so no need to read previews, watch trailers etc.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2014 Chibi_Kaji

Chibi_Kaji

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:17 AM

I wanted to avoid spoilers... But that one came out of left field. Fuck you Garnett Lee....
"People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children." - Bill Watterson

Posted Image

#2015 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:33 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2016 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:40 AM

I wanted to avoid spoilers... But that one came out of left field. Fuck you Garnett Lee....

Yeah, I also don't listen to any podcasts and very seldomly ever visit a gaming site other than CAG--unless going to IGN or Gamespot specifically to look at a specific review or something.

So I can avoid spoilers pretty easily.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2017 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:43 AM

Yeah, I also don't listen to any podcasts and very seldomly ever visit a gaming site other than CAG--unless going to IGN or Gamespot specifically to look at a specific review or something.

Same, I just recently started listening to podcasts again and I'm frequently at least a week behind.

#2018 io

io

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:58 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2019 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:09 AM

Spoiler

Yeah that reminded me of Harry Potter.

Spoiler

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2020 BoneMonkey80

BoneMonkey80

Bonetastic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:17 AM

loving the new armor
Posted Image

#2021 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:44 AM

So... I just beat Mass Effect 1 for the first time, and it didn't create a clear save after finishing the game, it just dumped me back to the title screen. I have the last autosave at the final boss fight and some manual saves from earlier than that. How does that work with Mass Effect 2? Will it ask me for a particular save file to import, and should I just choose whichever is closest to the end? Will ME2 realize that I beat the game? Or does it matter?

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#2022 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

"An Inquisition" You Say?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

So... I just beat Mass Effect 1 for the first time, and it didn't create a clear save after finishing the game, it just dumped me back to the title screen. I have the last autosave at the final boss fight and some manual saves from earlier than that. How does that work with Mass Effect 2? Will it ask me for a particular save file to import, and should I just choose whichever is closest to the end? Will ME2 realize that I beat the game? Or does it matter?

Mass Effect 1 automatically creates a "secret" save file that you can't access after you beat the game that is used for transfer to ME2. No other save will work except saves like this.

0sm4.png

#2023 bs000

bs000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:00 AM

ME2 will know it's the end. You'll be able to import your character. You can make sure by going to new game in ME1 and choose an existing career. If you see your character there, then you'll be able to see it when you import ME2 as well. Just be sure not to overwrite your autosave with an older save. Like if you're going to load an old save to play the Pinnacle Station DLC, make sure to turn autosave off so it doesn't overwrite. If you do that it won't know you finished the game and you'll have to finish the game again. I did this myself. Luckily I had a very late save and was able to complete the game again before ME2 came out.

You can still start a new character or start a new game with the same character and let the autosave overwrite and you'll still be able to import your end game character in ME2. ME1 saves all your end game characters as long as you don't overwrite with an old save before starting a new game. You cannot import a character that's in the middle of a playthrough. I hope I explained that well enough D:

#2024 Chibi_Kaji

Chibi_Kaji

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:36 AM

Generally spoilers aren't a problem since they'll give you a heads up. But in this case he gave no warning about it and when one of the guys questioned him about it he said something like it wasn't a spoiler because Bioware showed them the footage.

Posted Image

#2025 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:47 AM

Thanks for the explanations guys.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#2026 joe2187

joe2187

I AM THE DANGER!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:48 AM

Though....

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2027 wildcpac

wildcpac

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:00 AM

Any news on story content DLC? It seems like everybody who has bought the game already beat it.

#2028 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:06 AM

havent beaten it yet.. taking my time :)

1080i is for douchebags

#2029 Arikado

Arikado

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:13 AM

Just finished my insanity playthrough.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted Image

#2030 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:23 AM

Just got my GameInformer and was taken aback by the first line in the rewiew: "The second chapter in the Mass Effect trilogy is more of an enigma than the first, weaving through enough moral ambiguity, ghost-like images, and misleading plot twists to make the writers of the TV show Lost take note.".

Uh, while I think it is an excellent game and agree with their overall score (9.75) the one thing that struck me at the end of ME2 was the utter and complete lack of any plot twists and surprises. This stood out to me in particular when compared to the first game. In fact, I'd say that was really my only disappointment with the game overall. Did the GI reviewers even play the game? That opening line makes me distrust anything else they have to say about the game! :lol:

Plot summary:

Spoiler

I think The Plot Twists™ were
Spoiler

Posted Image

#2031 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:00 AM

How come people like raping this game so much? It's like the Marketing team really messed up. I keep reading either, "It's not a very good shooter" or "It's not a very good RPG" it's neither it is just: Mass Effect. I'm so sick of hearing all these "non fans" of the series coming in with their Pokemon backpacks and bitching about things it's not.

I'll probably just disconnect the internet.

Spoiler

Edited by DarkNessBear, 10 February 2010 - 06:39 AM.

#2032 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:12 AM

Calm down with your Assburgers man. Most people love the game, people just like talking about the pros and the cons of games, not just the pros.

Anyway, decided to go ahead and start up a new character to play through with a female, do the renegade route and pick a different class. Decided I'd probably never get around to picking up ME1 and playing through it again--especially since the decision imports don't have a huge impact and I've already done that on my paragon playthrough which I consider my main/canon playthrough.

Not sure I'd enjoy ME1 as much with all the improvements they made to ME2. The combat, inventory system and Mako would be pretty painful after playing the sequel.

Anyway, I was happy to see that you get a nice bonus for starting a new character after beating the game on another save. You get the +25% experience, 200,000 credits and 50,000 of each of the minerals. Think somone had mentioned that earlier in the thread, had slipped my mind and I was thinking you only got those if you started a new game and imported your ME2 character. So a nice bonus, will cut out some of the mining if nothing else.

Put in about 2.5 hours, did the opening part, some shopping on Omega and upgrading on the ship, and Picked up Zaeed and Mordin.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2033 uglyteradon

uglyteradon

CAG-tastrophe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:13 AM

I don't think I can respect the opinions of somebody who can't sit down and enjoy this game. Really, this game has set a new bar on how involved I become about a video game. Seriously the only part of the game I'm even remotely disappointed in is that there isn't a catchy song at the end credits.

My girlfriend is at the end of it; almost every person in our house has beaten this game. Whoever is hating on this game is probably just butt-hurt that they can't currently play it.

#2034 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:13 AM

I think The Plot Twists™ were

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted Image

#2035 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:43 AM

I don't think I can respect the opinions of somebody who can't sit down and enjoy this game. Really, this game has set a new bar on how involved I become about a video game. Seriously the only part of the game I'm even remotely disappointed in is that there isn't a catchy song at the end credits.

My girlfriend is at the end of it; almost every person in our house has beaten this game. Whoever is hating on this game is probably just butt-hurt that they can't currently play it.

Yea, it's really weird. I don't get what they are comparing it to, this is a different type of genre and people can't really comprehend it. I'm also watching my gf play it and it amazes me seeing it as a bystander and she loves it to.

I admit that I was pissed off at a lot of the changes in the first 30 minutes of playing, but that eventually wore off and I stopped nitpicking and just enjoyed the experience. I don't get why others can't do the same...

#2036 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:44 AM

snip

LOL.

My advice to you is to relax and start making a conscientious effort in avoiding genre balance discussions of any sort (especially among more devoted fans) if it's getting you wound this tight. IMHO if either side of the argument weren't being fueled by actual fans then it wouldn't last long enough for people to care. Sad fact of life but when nothing is perfect everything becomes subject to criticism. I've found when it comes to Mass Effect in particular only the most professional critics or hardcore fans are bound by pure instinct to meticulously analyze the trilogy to the point of borderline obsession.

It sucks sometimes because most of them are unmistakably fanatical elitists each supported by their own personal troll armies, but it is what it is. It's your responsibility to ignore the wild bullshit whenever humanly possible and find comfort in the fact you aren't as consumed by a damn video game.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#2037 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:49 AM

Spoiler

The reasoning behind it has no bearing on it being a Plot Twist™.

Posted Image

#2038 Filbert

Filbert

tough nut to crack

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:10 AM

...I admit that I was pissed off at a lot of the changes in the first 30 minutes of playing, but that eventually wore off and I stopped nitpicking and just enjoyed the experience. I don't get why others can't do the same...

I liked the game, but I never got over the thermal clip thing. I just hate that change.
Posted Image

#2039 bs000

bs000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

Spoiler

#2040 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

LOL.

My advice to you is to relax and start making a conscientious effort in avoiding genre balance discussions of any sort (especially among more devoted fans) if it's getting you wound this tight. IMHO if either side of the argument weren't being fueled by actual fans then it wouldn't last long enough for people to care. Sad fact of life but when nothing is perfect everything becomes subject to criticism. I've found when it comes to Mass Effect in particular only the most professional critics or hardcore fans are bound by pure instinct to meticulously analyze the trilogy to the point of borderline obsession.

It sucks sometimes because most of them are unmistakably fanatical elitists each supported by their own personal troll armies, but it is what it is. It's your responsibility to ignore the wild bullshit whenever humanly possible and find comfort in the fact you aren't as consumed by a damn video game.

Yea, you are right. Most of it just stemmed from reading all the comments and the review from this site:
http://www.gamecriti...effect-2-review

Brad Gallaway is such a douche, not just because of his review - but because of everything he does.