Photo
- - - - -

Penny Arcade Expo 2009

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#31 DunckTheFunk

DunckTheFunk

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:32 AM

Me, my friend, and his dad will be driving from Vancouver to Seattle on Thursday. We're staying at the Red Lion Hotel, which is like a block away from the convention centre. I can't wait to see the Brodeo Reunion!

#32 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:08 AM

The fighting games will be on the Xbox 360. Standard 360 wired controllers will be provided, but I highly advise that you bring your own stick, since sticks and convertors will not be provided.

For open console play, TVs are provided but you must reserve a spot with the staff at the console freeplay area. If you bring your own console, that is fine, but please check it in with the staff first at the checkout desk.

There will also be contests and challenges in the console freeplay rooms, but I don't know the details yet. All I know is that it'll involve prizes. :bouncy:

Thanks and a couple of more questions:

So consoles will be provided so we don't have to bring our own? Also do we have to bring our own games or not?

And there's no PS3's at all in the console area? Who's bright idea was that?

Not meaning to be mean but it's so frustrating because all my fighting stuff is on PS3 because that's supposed to be the "main tourney" console on fighting games (see Evo) but I have more active friends on the 360 than the PS3 and now all the PAX stuff is on 360,

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#33 B:L

B:L

twitch.tv/BLbeel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:41 AM

Thanks and a couple of more questions:

So consoles will be provided so we don't have to bring our own? Also do we have to bring our own games or not?

And there's no PS3's at all in the console area? Who's bright idea was that?

Not meaning to be mean but it's so frustrating because all my fighting stuff is on PS3 because that's supposed to be the "main tourney" console on fighting games (see Evo) but I have more active friends on the 360 than the PS3 and now all the PAX stuff is on 360,

Consoles can be provided and checked out. I believe this year they're dividing things into two sections; regular console freeplay for next gen system and classic console freeplay with NES and older systems available.

Console Freeplay and Console Tournament will be separate areas.

Console tournament will not be using PS3s due to technical issues. The rules and tournament schedule are located here:
http://forums.penny-...ead.php?t=96888

PAX is a bit more mainstream oriented than EVO, so there's reason to host it on the 360. It will avoid the major technical issues that EVO had, mainly controller synching and the "You Have Not Earned a Trophy" notification which blocks the life bar and lags button inputs. There will be plenty of like-minded gamers there, so it's possible to borrow a stick from them, or even from me if I'm not currently playing or waiting to play.

#34 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

So apparently Seattle Gameworks has Tekken 6, Blazblue, TvC, and SFIV.

If I end up going with one of my friends, anyone down for CAG meetup/hang out at Gameworks for some FG's?

#35 xeno

xeno

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

FYE there are less then 1,500 passes left.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

FYE there are less then 1,500 passes left.

Looks like the cutoff time to get Passes in the mail is August 15th (Saturday)

So does that mean I have all of the 15th to get them?

#37 DunckTheFunk

DunckTheFunk

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

Looks like the cutoff time to get Passes in the mail is August 15th (Saturday)

So does that mean I have all of the 15th to get them?

It does if you want them mailed to you. But because I live in Canada they don't ship there (who does these days?) so we just have to go down to the convention centre thursday night and pick them up at will call.

#38 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Some people in seattle have already been getting their passes in the mail! It's getting close!

#39 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

It does if you want them mailed to you. But because I live in Canada they don't ship there (who does these days?) so we just have to go down to the convention centre thursday night and pick them up at will call.

Thanks for the heads up.

My buddy and I ordered our passes today around 11am PST. Hopefully that'll mean we'll get our passes mailed to us. If not, I guess we can always print out the tickets for backup?

#40 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:58 PM

Consoles can be provided and checked out. I believe this year they're dividing things into two sections; regular console freeplay for next gen system and classic console freeplay with NES and older systems available.

Console Freeplay and Console Tournament will be separate areas.

Console tournament will not be using PS3s due to technical issues. The rules and tournament schedule are located here:
http://forums.penny-...ead.php?t=96888

PAX is a bit more mainstream oriented than EVO, so there's reason to host it on the 360. It will avoid the major technical issues that EVO had, mainly controller synching and the "You Have Not Earned a Trophy" notification which blocks the life bar and lags button inputs. There will be plenty of like-minded gamers there, so it's possible to borrow a stick from them, or even from me if I'm not currently playing or waiting to play.

Sorry I keep asking questions but the Penny Arcade forums are down.

Do you have to provide your own games? Or will there be a small selection of certain ones?

What is the checkout process? Do you have to leave your Driver's License/CC at the station or is there a hold put on your cc?

Huh I didn't hear about any problems at Evo. You mean to tell me I'm screwed now and everything fighting wise is going to be on 360 from now on? I can't afford to have everything for both systems and I need to know what system to own this type of games on.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#41 B:L

twitch.tv/BLbeel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

Sorry I keep asking questions but the Penny Arcade forums are down.

Do you have to provide your own games? Or will there be a small selection of certain ones?

What is the checkout process? Do you have to leave your Driver's License/CC at the station or is there a hold put on your cc?

Huh I didn't hear about any problems at Evo. You mean to tell me I'm screwed now and everything fighting wise is going to be on 360 from now on? I can't afford to have everything for both systems and I need to know what system to own this type of games on.

Oh, don't worry about asking questions. That's what I'm here for. ;)

From what I recall last year, reserving a TV spot was done via a ticketing system, like at the DMV or a supermarket. I'm not exactly what occurs at checkout, but I would think that they will note down your ID.

There will be a library of games available, donations by enforcers and attendees alike. The selection is usually good, they have newer gen stuff (PS2/GC/XBox and onwards) ranging from Halo to Katamari. But if you want to play a certain game, it's usually a good idea to bring your own copy.

As for the PS3 vs 360 fighting game argument, it's very likely that most major fighting game tournaments will remain on the PS3, just for the controller/joystick compatability alone. But that's just my estimates.

#42 B:L

twitch.tv/BLbeel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

BUMP

Why? Because the schedule and maps are up!

SCHEDULE
http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.php

MAP OF PAX & EXPO
http://www.destructo....r-144132.phtml

#43 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

BUMP

Why? Because the schedule and maps are up!

SCHEDULE
http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.php

So excited about the "I Got Next" Panel/Showing.

I watched the 45 minute Short Cut which was great, so I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing the longer version.

#44 xeno

xeno

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:17 AM

Some people in seattle have already been getting their passes in the mail! It's getting close!

mine should be here on Monday :bouncy:( i live outside of seattle...) anyway are we going to do a CAG meetup?

#45 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:08 AM

I'm up for an awkward CAG meetup. But I'm not really the type to organize these things.

#46 xeno

xeno

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

two more weeks ! anyone else psyched?

#47 MarkMan

MarkMan

CAG TEKKEN MASTER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

I'm confirmed to be there with some friends helping Namco Bandai out with stuff.

Meet up at the Namco Bandai area <3 ?

Reigning Super CAG Fighting Quiz Game Winner plus Alpha@ hyper-turbo.eXtreme!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

SDTEKKEN - TekkenZaibatsu - Mad Catz - EVO2010

#48 zenprime

zenprime

A cat is fine too

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

I'm in on this! Damnit, I hope they mail out the passes I ordered since they were just before the deadline.

I'm up for a meet up at the Namco Bandai Area.

nyanya.gif

gallery_112191_5372_1370779853_8521.gif

#49 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:40 AM

Among all the vendors/companies, Namco (and Capcom) are my first two stops.

If I ordered tickets the morning of the 15th, should I be expecting my pass in the mail? Or do I have to pick it up at the location listed on the PAX site?

#50 xeno

xeno

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

Among all the vendors/companies, Namco (and Capcom) are my first two stops.

If I ordered tickets the morning of the 15th, should I be expecting my pass in the mail? Or do I have to pick it up at the location listed on the PAX site?

You might have to go to the location listed on the PAX site, but id email them if i was you.

#51 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:25 AM

I'm confirmed to be there with some friends helping Namco Bandai out with stuff.

Meet up at the Namco Bandai area <3 ?

That sounds cool. Can we get some preferential treatment for showing up as a CAG group to support one of our own? :)

#52 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

You might have to go to the location listed on the PAX site, but id email them if i was you.

Thanks. I went ahead and did that.

Going to be up there for a week so I should start planning stuff.

#53 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

3-day passes officially sold out completely. Only single day passes left.

42869.png

#54 xeno

xeno

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

I'm sure that those single day passes will sell out fast also.

#55 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

My friend and I ordered our passes on the 15th, but good news is that they were being mailed out yesterday :)

Can't wait for PAX and to hang out in Seattle for a week.

#56 zenprime

zenprime

A cat is fine too

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Is anyone else going to the PS.Blog meetup/MAG thing as well?

nyanya.gif

gallery_112191_5372_1370779853_8521.gif

#57 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:00 AM

My friend and I got our 3-Day Passes in the mail today. Amazing

Too excited

#58 heavyd853

heavyd853

Hates fatties!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:32 AM

Damn, looks like I'm not going saturday since single days and day of passes for sat sold out. I do have the other two days though.
Hates Fatties x 2

#59 MarkMan

MarkMan

CAG TEKKEN MASTER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:06 AM

Here's some info on the TEKKEN 6 tournaments at the NAMCO BANDAI Games booth at PAX:

EVERYDAY SEPT. 4 - 6

No Player Limit
Single Elimination
2/3 Matches

Signups - 10AM - 1 PM
Tournament Begins - 1 PM
Tournament Finals - 5 PM

Awesome prizes/giveaways throughout each day! Make sure you guys enter!

Reigning Super CAG Fighting Quiz Game Winner plus Alpha@ hyper-turbo.eXtreme!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

SDTEKKEN - TekkenZaibatsu - Mad Catz - EVO2010

#60 asianxcore

asianxcore

...to the moon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:48 AM

Damn, looks like I'm not going saturday since single days and day of passes for sat sold out. I do have the other two days though.

Dang. I believe the screening/panel for "I Got Next" is on Saturday too.

Also I'd join up on the T6 tourney but I am awful at Tekken :)