The FYE Coupon Thread

fairyland

CAGiversary!
Please check the last page in this thread to see the newest coupon. As of May 2010, It's been about 3 months without a 40% coupon, so I had changed the title to something more appropriate than 40% off as it seem unlikely we'd ever get those coupons again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody tried this yet and did it work? I'm a little nervous showing up at my local FYE and getting rejected lol

erectiontown: I have to disagree. FYE definitely has really decent prices if you time things right - I dare say that it's even better than Moviestop in continually offering discounts/coupons/deals.
Last month they were selling all seasons of Friends, Seinfeld, Flight Of The Conchords, and others (NEW) with a mail-in rebate that brought them down to $10 each. They did the same thing in December with the Oliver Stone collection (14 movies for a total of $10) and Hogan Knows Best (3 seasons for a total of $10).
Also - when you sign up for the backstage pass discount card, you get 10% off everything AND they give you THREE cards when you sign up. It was $25 and it CAME WITH a $15 gift card...me and two of my friends each put $8.50 in to get one (we each got one of the three discount cards), and each got a $5 gift card with it.
Use that 10% in combination with this 40% off coupon here and you're getting quite a deal.
BTW - confirmed: I've bought a bunch of things with these - they started in the beginning of February, this is the new one for March. I bought the Ultimate Matrix Collection used on blu-ray for $44. I used a ton of these coupons last month and got a lot of stuff.
Interested - everyone definitely DOES really dislike FYE. Why is that?

FYE is really good when u find the right exploits. For around 3 years I was only paying $5 cash for every $18.75 FYE credit. Unfortunately i posted the method on CAG and the deal was dead in days.

[quote name='chuckstaton']haha that's crazy - what was the method?
[/quote]

Yeah I'd be interested in the method too lol.

13.75 ROI kthanks.

:)

[quote name='chuckstaton']
Interested - everyone definitely DOES really dislike FYE. Why is that?[/QUOTE]

Mostly that they charge full suggested retail on items that are generally not priced as such any where else locally. And when they do discount items, such as week one releases, often it is more expensive than anyone else's week one sale prices. I feel that they are insulting me charging prices that are fairly unreasonable on their new inventory. It's not like the video games industry where they are rarely lower than suggested retail (unless it's old and undesirable) so you have no choice but to pay those prices, so they should be a little more competitive on the prices as most of their inventory is older than the hills and way cheaper online or at other stores. I think they stay in business by catering to the rich or impulsive crowd that rarely cares what the prices are on anything and not the cheap ass consumer like myself.

The other reasons is those rebate gimmicks and paying for a discount card that is too high for what you get. Gamestop I allow as I'm getting a magazine subscription and it's cheap enough where I'll break even, but $25.00 for the "privilege" to save 10% is no motivation and I doubt I'd ever spend $250 there in a year to break even. If it was not for their used inventory and liquidated garbage inventory that sometimes go really cheap, I'd never go in there.

[quote name='TheSaint11']Yeah I'd be interested in the method too lol.

13.75 ROI kthanks.

:)[/quote]

Deja vu. Sorry about that, Bezerker (I was one of the CAGs who asked about it last time). I was only able to do it once after you mentioned it, and then noticed the trade-in price went from $18.50 to $3...

There's no telling how many lurkers exploited your find, but I'm betting it was more a matter of management calling corporate to ask WTF more than a flooding of them, otherwise they'd be down to a 10cent TIV by now. $3 is still more than the average CD, everything else usually tops at $2.

I won't mention the name, but the "method" was simply buying a certain CD on Amazon for $2+shipping that had a TIV of $18.50 at FYE/Secondspin. Method makes it sound so much more mysterious than flipping.

Bezerker: did you ever realize that $18.50 was the cash TIV? You could have actually gotten $23.12 credit at FYE for each one all this time...it's only an option at B&M though, not shipping into Secondspin.

yea i remember that. The problem is my local store refuse to take in extra copies once they have at least 1 in stock

[quote name='fairyland']Mostly that they charge full suggested retail on items that are generally not priced as such any where else locally. And when they do discount items, such as week one releases, often it is more expensive than anyone else's week one sale prices. I feel that they are insulting me charging prices that are fairly unreasonable on their new inventory. It's not like the video games industry where they are rarely lower than suggested retail (unless it's old and undesirable) so you have no choice but to pay those prices, so they should be a little more competitive on the prices as most of their inventory is older than the hills and way cheaper online or at other stores. I think they stay in business by catering to the rich or impulsive crowd that rarely cares what the prices are on anything and not the cheap ass consumer like myself.

The other reasons is those rebate gimmicks and paying for a discount card that is too high for what you get. Gamestop I allow as I'm getting a magazine subscription and it's cheap enough where I'll break even, but $25.00 for the "privilege" to save 10% is no motivation and I doubt I'd ever spend $250 there in a year to break even. If it was not for their used inventory and liquidated garbage inventory that sometimes go really cheap, I'd never go in there.[/quote]

fairyland: You have some good points there. Although I have noticed that SOME new releases are $3 or $4 dollars more than other places, I actually do find a lot of prices to be extremely comparable (especially season releases, which usually seem to be the same everywhere).
They also definitely have a problem with non-new "new" releases - unopened movies/seasons that came out a few years back - like Curb Your Enthusiasm seasons, which are always $40 at FYE.
You're absolutely right in the fact that those should be cheaper - I talked to my friend who worked there about how they should have a department at HQ that pays attention to products' prices everywhere, be able to get an average and factor that in to FYE's selling prices - he says they have one and that department just sucks ass.
But in general - I have to say not only do I enjoy going to FYE to paruse the odd deals they have (like the $3 bin, which will inexplicably have just about any non-new release at some point in time, or the aforementioned $10 season of Friends/Seinfeld), but I also think their used prices are really competitive and when you get coupons like this 40% one - they can be incredible.
Without posting too much information - I did a deal that I called "The Scam Of The Century" this Fall where I used a bunch of sales/trade-in prices in conjunction with eachother from Sept - Dec, the main hit being FYE.
I basically ended up spending a total of $412, I ended up getting 152 DVDs (good double-disc/special edition/collector's edition/etc DVDs) and 15 seasons, and then I was left with $400 in credit after that. It was really insane.
So I hear where you're coming from - the company does have faults. My opinion is basically that their used prices are good, and the deals they run on their used are great. In the "new" department, they definitely overprice stuff (they REALLY overprice older stuff), and then they have those occasional mail-ins and the $3 bin (where I got the metal-cased special edition of the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre).
I will say I find a couple of your comments odd: You DON'T like it because of those rebate gimmicks? You can't even find Seinfeld/Friends for $10 used anywhere (especially counting shipping) - "too high for what you get?" I'm trying to figure out the downside there. The money you get back is on a Visa giftcard and can be used anywhere. Missing the negatives on that.
Also - the backstage pass card seems pretty reasonable to me - especially considering that you could easily split it between three people, and that most of the time they have a promotion with it, like when I got it and got a $15 gift card. I'm surprised you know this much about different media outlets, but don't expect yourself to spend $250 a year on media (at that point the card pays for itself) - especially because FYE's used prices are all extremely comparable to any other used vendor.
One last thing - when I shop used online I always go to FYE.com because it's "spend $25 and get free shipping" and I can use the discount card there as well - and they ALWAYS run 20% off used online. On Amazon.com you can get that shipping deal only on new products. Used on Amazon will rape you because you have to spend $3-$4 a product.
Actually after all that I believe I'm more impressed with FYE's policies overall. I never sat down and thought about it really. The only negatives are the new releases (and I never really buy new) and even that has some glaring exceptions where they have great deals.
I think for used - they are better than Newbury Comics, Amazon.com, Half.com, and Moviestop, price-wise/discount/coupon-wise overall - absolutely no contest.

FYE's new prices pretty much suck, but their used prices can be great. I picked up 3 dvd's of Neon Genesis Evangelion for $3 each recently, not to mention their trade in values are usually pretty fair. Has anyone besides the OP printed the coupon and used it successfully yet?

[quote name='kewlrabbit']FYE's new prices pretty much suck, but their used prices can be great. I picked up 3 dvd's of Neon Genesis Evangelion for $3 each recently, not to mention their trade in values are usually pretty fair. Has anyone besides the OP printed the coupon and used it successfully yet?[/quote]

I haven't printed this one (this is a new one for the month of March) but they had the same deal last month, pretty much the same coupon (different code on it) and I used it about ten times. I'm sure this is legit.

[quote name='chuckstaton']fairyland: You have some good points there. Although I have noticed that SOME new releases are $3 or $4 dollars more than other places, I actually do find a lot of prices to be extremely comparable (especially season releases, which usually seem to be the same everywhere).
They also definitely have a problem with non-new "new" releases - unopened movies/seasons that came out a few years back - like Curb Your Enthusiasm seasons, which are always $40 at FYE.
You're absolutely right in the fact that those should be cheaper - I talked to my friend who worked there about how they should have a department at HQ that pays attention to products' prices everywhere, be able to get an average and factor that in to FYE's selling prices - he says they have one and that department just sucks ass.
But in general - I have to say not only do I enjoy going to FYE to paruse the odd deals they have (like the $3 bin, which will inexplicably have just about any non-new release at some point in time, or the aforementioned $10 season of Friends/Seinfeld), but I also think their used prices are really competitive and when you get coupons like this 40% one - they can be incredible.
Without posting too much information - I did a deal that I called "The Scam Of The Century" this Fall where I used a bunch of sales/trade-in prices in conjunction with eachother from Sept - Dec, the main hit being FYE.
I basically ended up spending a total of $412, I ended up getting 152 DVDs (good double-disc/special edition/collector's edition/etc DVDs) and 15 seasons, and then I was left with $400 in credit after that. It was really insane.
So I hear where you're coming from - the company does have faults. My opinion is basically that their used prices are good, and the deals they run on their used are great. In the "new" department, they definitely overprice stuff (they REALLY overprice older stuff), and then they have those occasional mail-ins and the $3 bin (where I got the metal-cased special edition of the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre).
I will say I find a couple of your comments odd: You DON'T like it because of those rebate gimmicks? You can't even find Seinfeld/Friends for $10 used anywhere (especially counting shipping) - "too high for what you get?" I'm trying to figure out the downside there. The money you get back is on a Visa giftcard and can be used anywhere. Missing the negatives on that.
Also - the backstage pass card seems pretty reasonable to me - especially considering that you could easily split it between three people, and that most of the time they have a promotion with it, like when I got it and got a $15 gift card. I'm surprised you know this much about different media outlets, but don't expect yourself to spend $250 a year on media (at that point the card pays for itself) - especially because FYE's used prices are all extremely comparable to any other used vendor.
One last thing - when I shop used online I always go to FYE.com because it's "spend $25 and get free shipping" and I can use the discount card there as well - and they ALWAYS run 20% off used online. On Amazon.com you can get that shipping deal only on new products. Used on Amazon will rape you because you have to spend $3-$4 a product.
Actually after all that I believe I'm more impressed with FYE's policies overall. I never sat down and thought about it really. The only negatives are the new releases (and I never really buy new) and even that has some glaring exceptions where they have great deals.
I think for used - they are better than Newbury Comics, Amazon.com, Half.com, and Moviestop, price-wise/discount/coupon-wise overall - absolutely no contest.[/QUOTE]

I like FYE for sales like this coupon and their used product, but basically the idea of buying a card to save money by continuously shopping at said store repulses me. At least make it free! I will not shop at BJ's for the same reason. I would not do Gamestop either if I had not convinced myself I'm buying a magazine subscription and the discount card is free. It is not a privilege to shop at any store. They should be bending over backwards to get me to spend money there, not visa versa. Last night I was at K-mart and they had the gall to ask for my email address just out of the blue with no explanation nor compensation. I am just a pretty private person and I don't like cards and the rumor they are used to collect data on you for marketers. I'd rather see a flat out sale for all customers.

FYE rebates are a little worse than their discount cards to me. I feel they'll "accidentally" loose the rebate and I'm left paying $35.00 for a box set that I could have bought for $20.00 at Walmart. I would never forgive myself for willingly overpay on a box set AND get cheated out of what's rightfully mine. I would have anxiety attacks over it for months (believe me I would as I hate getting screwed). FYE on Cheap Ass Gamer has such a bad rep that I've never been willing to bite on some killer deals like 10.00 box sets or DS games. The bad word of mouth greatly outnumbers the good. Although the DS sale of last week or so really tempted me to take a chance...but again, I feel they are going to sell my name to marketers. Perhaps visa card marketers? (har har) I tend not to trust deals that are too good to be true as I know they are profiting some how, it's just that I have not figured it out yet how they are profiting.

Anyway, I'm a REALLY cheap, cheap ass gamer. Other than anime, I rarely buy new anything and even then it has to be a bit off for me to bite. I shop around and wait for years to get most things really cheap. FYE never really had many used items that was on my level of cheapness that I wanted. $7.99 used CDs is still pretty high with 40% discounts for most used cds as I know I will find them cheaper at flea markets and garage sales for $2.00 or less. I tend to only get the really rare stuff at those prices like progressive rock CDs, so my annual FYE purchases never come up to $250.00. Sometimes I wonder if I'll hit this dollar value though. Two weeks ago I traded in a bunch of 25 cent garage sale cds that had no half.com value and got 60 dollars of used Yes CDs from it. I think half of the trouble is that they rarely have the used cds/movies in that I like (or I have them already) to get me to spend $250 with them.

Oh, I do buy FYE online just recently in fact to get my Star Trek Next Generation box sets. It was the cheapest around and they are certain NOT to be bootlegs. Amazon for a long time had bootleg dealers selling theirs on the site so I had no idea if I was going to get a used or a bootleg set, which prevented me from buying them all these years. That's another good thing for FYE online, as you are sure to get legit. I'll just be kicking myself if they decide to release these sets for $20.00 a pop at walmart thanks to the new movie...

Anyway, has anyone ever seen this mythological FYE store out towards the Albany NY area that is said to be where all the crap is sent for deep liquidation? I keep hearing over and over about it at the Central NY cd/record fairs, but I've yet to see it. I hear it's like heaven if you're into obscure cheap stuff and it's so huge. I remember when Transworld (the owner of FYE) used to have "only a dollar" CD shoppes (or whatever the name was I forgot, but I remember a lot of people being taken in by the name thinking it's a dollar store when it was not) in the early 90s which was basically their close out chain stores located in dead malls, but they all since disappeared in the mid 90s and I've yet to find what they do with their old inventory since then. This was before Ebay days and I used to get super rare cds super cheap and sell them on newsgroups for high prices. I'd love to find this FYE store, as I'd surely would get a card then and probably drop a grand. LOL

This coupon looks quite ghetto, but I'll print it and try it out. They have a used copy of The Clone Wars 2-disc edition used for about $11 after coupon.

As for new release prices: I think they do great on those if it's the actual week of release. There's no way Twilight (for my wife) will be cheaper than $15.99 after rebate.

I don't understand what size the coupon is supposed to be. OP says "keep it at its original 3x3", but his scanned image is 6.7"x6.7".

Another question, does this coupon work at FYE's other stores like coconuts? I hope so as I only have 2 FYE's around here but several coconuts.....

For those who have used the coupon and succeeded, are you printing it out at the size that was given or are you shrinking it to 3 inches.

[quote name='chuckstaton']Yeah - it's not a coupon for their website. Note the instructions directly on the coupon that are for a cashier.[/QUOTE]

Someone else asked so it aroused my curiosity. I wasn't surprised it didn't work.

[quote name='Kevz0rz']For those who have used the coupon and succeeded, are you printing it out at the size that was given or are you shrinking it to 3 inches.[/quote]

I printed out the size that was given.No need to shrink it.

FYE's corporate office is in Albany as well as their test market store where they try different things before they try it at a larger number of stores. I think there are a few stores in that area but I know there is at least one huge super store up there so it wouldn't surprise me if they had a huge super discount section there.

[quote name='hiamiyumi']I printed out the size that was given.No need to shrink it.[/quote]

Thanks hiamiyumi, wanted to make sure before i tried to use it.

really didnt think this coupon was gonna fly at my local fye. traded some crap in and browsed the used blu-ray section. ended up grabbing harry potter prisoner of azkaban as i was missing it from the series and was able to use the coupon and backstage pass. 19.99 blu-ray ended up being 11.69 after tax. wasn't much in the store so i'll be sure to check back each week. really hope they continue issuing this coupon each month.

[quote name='ghozt']really didnt think this coupon was gonna fly at my local fye. traded some crap in and browsed the used blu-ray section. ended up grabbing harry potter prisoner of azkaban as i was missing it from the series and was able to use the coupon and backstage pass. 19.99 blu-ray ended up being 11.69 after tax. wasn't much in the store so i'll be sure to check back each week. really hope they continue issuing this coupon each month.[/quote]

Yeah I have about 6 FYEs within 15 minutes driving distance. I take a friend or two with me and pick up at least 2 items a store with backstage pass (10% off) and coupon (40% off) - incredible deal. If you're looking for something big, like a complete series of something, get it now.

[quote name='fairyland']I like FYE for sales like this coupon and their used product, but basically the idea of buying a card to save money by continuously shopping at said store repulses me. At least make it free! I will not shop at BJ's for the same reason. I would not do Gamestop either if I had not convinced myself I'm buying a magazine subscription and the discount card is free. It is not a privilege to shop at any store. They should be bending over backwards to get me to spend money there, not visa versa. Last night I was at K-mart and they had the gall to ask for my email address just out of the blue with no explanation nor compensation. I am just a pretty private person and I don't like cards and the rumor they are used to collect data on you for marketers. I'd rather see a flat out sale for all customers.

FYE rebates are a little worse than their discount cards to me. I feel they'll "accidentally" loose the rebate and I'm left paying $35.00 for a box set that I could have bought for $20.00 at Walmart. I would never forgive myself for willingly overpay on a box set AND get cheated out of what's rightfully mine. I would have anxiety attacks over it for months (believe me I would as I hate getting screwed). FYE on Cheap Ass Gamer has such a bad rep that I've never been willing to bite on some killer deals like 10.00 box sets or DS games. The bad word of mouth greatly outnumbers the good. Although the DS sale of last week or so really tempted me to take a chance...but again, I feel they are going to sell my name to marketers. Perhaps visa card marketers? (har har) I tend not to trust deals that are too good to be true as I know they are profiting some how, it's just that I have not figured it out yet how they are profiting.

Anyway, I'm a REALLY cheap, cheap ass gamer. Other than anime, I rarely buy new anything and even then it has to be a bit off for me to bite. I shop around and wait for years to get most things really cheap. FYE never really had many used items that was on my level of cheapness that I wanted. $7.99 used CDs is still pretty high with 40% discounts for most used cds as I know I will find them cheaper at flea markets and garage sales for $2.00 or less. I tend to only get the really rare stuff at those prices like progressive rock CDs, so my annual FYE purchases never come up to $250.00. Sometimes I wonder if I'll hit this dollar value though. Two weeks ago I traded in a bunch of 25 cent garage sale cds that had no half.com value and got 60 dollars of used Yes CDs from it. I think half of the trouble is that they rarely have the used cds/movies in that I like (or I have them already) to get me to spend $250 with them.

Oh, I do buy FYE online just recently in fact to get my Star Trek Next Generation box sets. It was the cheapest around and they are certain NOT to be bootlegs. Amazon for a long time had bootleg dealers selling theirs on the site so I had no idea if I was going to get a used or a bootleg set, which prevented me from buying them all these years. That's another good thing for FYE online, as you are sure to get legit. I'll just be kicking myself if they decide to release these sets for $20.00 a pop at walmart thanks to the new movie...

Anyway, has anyone ever seen this mythological FYE store out towards the Albany NY area that is said to be where all the crap is sent for deep liquidation? I keep hearing over and over about it at the Central NY cd/record fairs, but I've yet to see it. I hear it's like heaven if you're into obscure cheap stuff and it's so huge. I remember when Transworld (the owner of FYE) used to have "only a dollar" CD shoppes (or whatever the name was I forgot, but I remember a lot of people being taken in by the name thinking it's a dollar store when it was not) in the early 90s which was basically their close out chain stores located in dead malls, but they all since disappeared in the mid 90s and I've yet to find what they do with their old inventory since then. This was before Ebay days and I used to get super rare cds super cheap and sell them on newsgroups for high prices. I'd love to find this FYE store, as I'd surely would get a card then and probably drop a grand. LOL[/quote]

Hey man - this is just a friendly discussion - just making that clear. I read your post and I have to answer the qualms you have with FYE
Discount Card - You're proposing that everyone should be able to get a 10%-off-everything-all-the-time card (instead of buying it)? Does that make sense to anyone else? What would be the point of it?
I understand people being against places like Sam's Club where you pay to actually shop there - this is completely different. They're not making you pay to shop there, they're rewarding people who do it continually. The truth is that if you go buy a used DVD at Moviestop or FYE - the prices will be about the same (obviously varies title by title). They both offer discount cards that allow you 10% off, so that when you do want to buy something, you say "I'll save 10% at FYE so I'll go there" and for anyone who buys a lot of used (or new), $250 a year is not hard to spend (especially around a big gift season like Christmas). Giving it to anyone who walked in the door would make no sense - I think this is a great investment, especially for those who shop FYE online (which you said you do buy from).
By the way - a flat-out sale for all customers is not only foolish, but it's also illegal (don't ask me why, but that's true). But seriously - does that make sense to do all the time?
Also - yeah you need to give your name to get one, but so what? Now they know your name is "John Jones". What does that do for them? You don't need to give them your phone number, adress or email (you don't have to give them correct ones - no confirmation service means you get the card, end of story). How could they contact you?
Also - your general "I wanted to buy a DS game but I feel they are going to sell my name to marketers" - buy with cash. If you are really that interested and that worried, you can't grab some actual money from your account? Is that a difficult thing?
Rebates - You feel they'll "accidentally" lose the rebate? I'm an avid shopper of these FYE rebates (because they just do it to get rid of product and - like every rebate - alot of people don't follow up on the rebates) and I've never had them lose one. When you said this I wondered about their policy and called an FYE. The manager told me another company does their rebates, but if that company wouldn't help them, you could bring your receipts to the store you bought the products in, and the FYE would give you CASH FROM THE DRAWER. The rebate information is on both copies of the receipt they give you (they give you one to send away and one to save).
"I tend not to trust deals that are too good to be true as I know they are profiting some how, it's just that I have not figured it out yet how they are profiting." - come on, man! The deals make sense because when the Seinfeld seasons (for example) came out years ago, they sold alot, and then, as every DVD does, the sales decreased and decreased and decreased. Having them sitting there in stores all over the country is doing nothing for FYE, so selling them for cheap is better than that 0% increase of sales (plus, in general, at a big retailer you want to have sales to keep people coming back - which is where I think FYE topples all competitors).
One final thing - you argue you wouldn't spend $250 a year but in this post alone you say you bought $60 of Yes CDs, and Star Trek Next Generation box set (you actually said "box sets" but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) all within the past two weeks. That's already $80 (if you only bought ONE Star Trek box set, at $20 as you said) in two weeks! You really couldn't squeak out another $170 in an entire YEAR? Even with this 40% off coupon!??!
I am the cheapest guy I know, and I know how you feel with this stuff. I really really do. I'm the same way, I wait and wait and wait until the price is down and this kind of coupon comes out. I got most of my original Xbox games for $3 or less.
I also understand your statement about badmouthing - but have you actually had many awful experiences with FYE? I've never experienced any (I will admit I am also more confrontational than some, which may be why). I feel like the most comparable company to FYE is Gamestop, because I feel like they play to the person who continually comes in, and they try to repay those people.
I'd love to discuss this thing with other people. Everytime I want a DVD (newer release or older release) I check EVERYWHERE - I'd say about 80% of my purchases end up at FYE.
How about everyone else? I would love specific examples!

I used a coupon for Clone Wars, worked just fine: $11 for a mint used copy of the 2-disc with lenticular slipcover and the digital copy code was included and still valid :)

In the past month I bought Dexter and N+ DS for $10 after rebate. I don't send in the actual UPC, just the FYE sticker on the outside. I've already received an E-mail confirmation for both stating my rebate is valid and in the final processing stage.

I also sent Secondspin.com $18.50 worth of CDs that showed up as $.01 at FYE (total would have been about $.10 in-store), they also sent me a confirmation telling me my check will be in the mail soon for about $20.90 (value + shipping credit).

Lastly, I bought Existenz on Wherehouse.com for 20% off and shipped free, came in mint condition the other day.

Overall, I would never, ever spend $250 per year at FYE, but I really do like them (TransWorld) more and more every year. They're the best for trade-in value, the absolute without a doubt best in used quality, and the prices are excellent so long as you don't just go in there with a list and buy new.

I remember standing in line behind a girl buying a Pirates of the Carribean 2 Soundtrack CD and High School Musical 3 Soundtrack CD new. She dropped almost $40 on the two. It was the dumbest thing I've seen anyone do in 2009.

Picked up Saw V on Blu-Ray today for $15 after the coupon (plus tax). Not a bad deal. I'll probably go back and pick up some more movies they had for $15.

Thanks OP! :)

[quote name='chuckstaton']

Hey man - this is just a friendly discussion - just making that clear. I read your post and I have to answer the qualms you have with FYE
Discount Card - You're proposing that everyone should be able to get a 10%-off-everything-all-the-time card (instead of buying it)? Does that make sense to anyone else? What would be the point of it?
I understand people being against places like Sam's Club where you pay to actually shop there - this is completely different. They're not making you pay to shop there, they're rewarding people who do it continually. The truth is that if you go buy a used DVD at Moviestop or FYE - the prices will be about the same (obviously varies title by title). They both offer discount cards that allow you 10% off, so that when you do want to buy something, you say "I'll save 10% at FYE so I'll go there" and for anyone who buys a lot of used (or new), $250 a year is not hard to spend (especially around a big gift season like Christmas). Giving it to anyone who walked in the door would make no sense - I think this is a great investment, especially for those who shop FYE online (which you said you do buy from).
By the way - a flat-out sale for all customers is not only foolish, but it's also illegal (don't ask me why, but that's true). But seriously - does that make sense to do all the time?
Also - yeah you need to give your name to get one, but so what? Now they know your name is "John Jones". What does that do for them? You don't need to give them your phone number, adress or email (you don't have to give them correct ones - no confirmation service means you get the card, end of story). How could they contact you?
Also - your general "I wanted to buy a DS game but I feel they are going to sell my name to marketers" - buy with cash. If you are really that interested and that worried, you can't grab some actual money from your account? Is that a difficult thing?
Rebates - You feel they'll "accidentally" lose the rebate? I'm an avid shopper of these FYE rebates (because they just do it to get rid of product and - like every rebate - alot of people don't follow up on the rebates) and I've never had them lose one. When you said this I wondered about their policy and called an FYE. The manager told me another company does their rebates, but if that company wouldn't help them, you could bring your receipts to the store you bought the products in, and the FYE would give you CASH FROM THE DRAWER. The rebate information is on both copies of the receipt they give you (they give you one to send away and one to save).
"I tend not to trust deals that are too good to be true as I know they are profiting some how, it's just that I have not figured it out yet how they are profiting." - come on, man! The deals make sense because when the Seinfeld seasons (for example) came out years ago, they sold alot, and then, as every DVD does, the sales decreased and decreased and decreased. Having them sitting there in stores all over the country is doing nothing for FYE, so selling them for cheap is better than that 0% increase of sales (plus, in general, at a big retailer you want to have sales to keep people coming back - which is where I think FYE topples all competitors).
One final thing - you argue you wouldn't spend $250 a year but in this post alone you say you bought $60 of Yes CDs, and Star Trek Next Generation box set (you actually said "box sets" but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) all within the past two weeks. That's already $80 (if you only bought ONE Star Trek box set, at $20 as you said) in two weeks! You really couldn't squeak out another $170 in an entire YEAR? Even with this 40% off coupon!??!
I am the cheapest guy I know, and I know how you feel with this stuff. I really really do. I'm the same way, I wait and wait and wait until the price is down and this kind of coupon comes out. I got most of my original Xbox games for $3 or less.
I also understand your statement about badmouthing - but have you actually had many awful experiences with FYE? I've never experienced any (I will admit I am also more confrontational than some, which may be why). I feel like the most comparable company to FYE is Gamestop, because I feel like they play to the person who continually comes in, and they try to repay those people.
I'd love to discuss this thing with other people. Everytime I want a DVD (newer release or older release) I check EVERYWHERE - I'd say about 80% of my purchases end up at FYE.
How about everyone else? I would love specific examples![/QUOTE]

Hi, I agree, it's a friendly discussion indeed, but you did misunderstood me a little on a few things. Basically, I'm just telling things the way I see it from my point of view and I'm not telling anyone that my way is right and their's is wrong. I tend to be very cautious about everything as I feel the world is out to get me/screw me over unless I'm always on guard.

The main thing is that I never gave FYE a chance. Why? I'm going off of word of mouth and most of it has been horrendous. So, I do have to ask you, in your opinion, was they always this good over the years or is this a fairly new development? You see, I remember when they had Record Giants (or whatever the name was) way back in the late 70s and everyone knew to stay away from them because they was just too high. I think a lot of my paranoia stems from that, that they (transworld) has the astigmatism for far too long as a place that you simply do not shop at because of too high prices. You simply do not shop there.

If anyone else speaks their mind openly about this, I'd bet that you'll find that a lot of people here are going to have irrational ideas about FYE for various and most likely really stupid reasons. Sure the rebates are probably fine, but I don't trust them as it's too much money to take that gamble. Yet, I did not say my really stupid reasons for hating them. I DETEST that voice-over guy on the monthly product CD that they play over and over in the store. It so urks me when I hear him. Or how they jump on you when you enter the store for asking you if you need help. I also detest their blue theme that they make the employees wear and the gaudy silvery future look that the store has. These are really stupid things to hate a store for, but they exist. People tend to hate things for lame reasons. FYE gets dumped on mostly because of too high prices, the high priced club card, and those too good to be true rebates in my opinion.

Anyway, I got my 4 Star Trek sets during Black Friday and on though Christmas during various sales that made those prices steals. Total spent about $120.00. Yes CDs $60 in credit two weeks ago and I'll also go out to admit an anime BOGO box set sale I think in October where I plucked down $150.00. I thought about buying a card at $150, but I did not expect I'd ever buy from them again, as I never bought this much from them in the past. Then I was kicking myself during the Star Trek sets sales, but then again, I had never expected to find them at such a great price at FYE online. The Yes CDs was another surprise find (but I was mostly unloading old cd inventory that I could not sell on ebay which is why I bought that). These things was all spurs of luck (on sale no less), not at all what I perceive to be consistent buying. I don't see myself being a consistent FYE buyer unless they ran 40% off sales every month and other types of amazing bargains are to be had. Without the 40% off sale, I would not be going in there as often. The items I like are so rare and obscure, it's not likely I'd find them at an FYE, so buying a card would seem foolish at the moment. I honestly don't know what to think. If I had modern and common tastes, I would go for a card, but I'm too eccentric to make a card a smart buy like you are proving it to be for yourself.

Other side comments - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalty_program#Criticism This says a little about the criticism about discount cards and I fully believe in it. I'm sure there are other websites out there that can more efficiently explain the matter with proof on how bad these cards really are. Personally, I had my dealings some 20 years ago when I was a teen applying for my first CC. Harassment with junk mail and sales calls, so I'm a bit wiser about my privacy now. Heh, I still get junk mail from some of those places even today. They never give up!

I do wonder, with the visa rebate card, don't you HAVE to give the correct address to get that rebate back to you? This was part of what I was thinking last time. They get your proper name and address with the rebates and they'll sell it off. The DS comment I made was in reference to the 2 or 3 week ago DS rebate sale. Buy a game for $29.99 and get a $20.00 rebate. I was really tempted to do that one.

About loosing a rebate, personally I'm waiting to find and try a $5.00 rebate on a $10.00 item to see how that goes. I won't take a chance on anything higher than that. The items that I am somewhat interested in is always around the $25.00 range and it's too high for me to gamble as I just don't trust them yet. What has me worried was that 2 weeks ago was someone else's post commenting that FYE could be the next Circuit City and thus any rebates would be forever gone...Reading how FYE had performed under expectations last quarter this could very likely happen...

But overall, FYE has to slowly grow their trust with me. It won't be easy to do considering the recent pattern of their $7.88 liquidated cds where the first two weeks it was 75% off, then 50% off, then buy one get one, then 25% off, then buy one get one free again. Inconsistently changing the discounts around like really gets my goat. Also, I had trouble with the buy "3 get the 4th free sale" or buy "2 get the 3rd half off" or sometimes no bogo sale at all. I could never find more than 2 items I wanted to cash in on the sale, which is why I rarely bought much with them over the years.

So, I'm glad for these coupons and if they continue, I should be a consistent buyer indeed. But definitely not at those constantly switching oddball sales they have where it's anyone's guess if you'd be saving the most that week or should you wait another week for a proper sale. Yes, there is a lot one can find wrong with FYE if you're a fussy nick-picker like myself. LOL

man i love working a minute away from fye..with this and that week long 40% they had in the paper in feb, ive made up for the backstage card fee and then some.

the only problem ive had was with the male workers, they always try to skip the 600 high coupon stack they have behind the counter and seem annoyed when i mention the coupons and the BScard. though when i cash out with the "record store rocker/hippy" girls(who've been there way longer) i get no probs.

ive notice that "specail anime movies"(you know the type:twisted::joystick:) are stupidly priced, usually double the price of new titles..

Printed out around 4 by 4 inches and it was pretty blurry. But it was taken no questions asked. Picked up The Prestige on Blu-Ray for $12.08 (including tax). Nice deal.

[quote name='fairyland']Hi, I agree, it's a friendly discussion indeed, but you did misunderstood me a little on a few things. Basically, I'm just telling things the way I see it from my point of view and I'm not telling anyone that my way is right and their's is wrong. I tend to be very cautious about everything as I feel the world is out to get me/screw me over unless I'm always on guard.

The main thing is that I never gave FYE a chance. Why? I'm going off of word of mouth and most of it has been horrendous. So, I do have to ask you, in your opinion, was they always this good over the years or is this a fairly new development? You see, I remember when they had Record Giants (or whatever the name was) way back in the late 70s and everyone knew to stay away from them because they was just too high. I think a lot of my paranoia stems from that, that they (transworld) has the astigmatism for far too long as a place that you simply do not shop at because of too high prices. You simply do not shop there.

If anyone else speaks their mind openly about this, I'd bet that you'll find that a lot of people here are going to have irrational ideas about FYE for various and most likely really stupid reasons. Sure the rebates are probably fine, but I don't trust them as it's too much money to take that gamble. Yet, I did not say my really stupid reasons for hating them. I DETEST that voice-over guy on the monthly product CD that they play over and over in the store. It so urks me when I hear him. Or how they jump on you when you enter the store for asking you if you need help. I also detest their blue theme that they make the employees wear and the gaudy silvery future look that the store has. These are really stupid things to hate a store for, but they exist. People tend to hate things for lame reasons. FYE gets dumped on mostly because of too high prices, the high priced club card, and those too good to be true rebates in my opinion.

Anyway, I got my 4 Star Trek sets during Black Friday and on though Christmas during various sales that made those prices steals. Total spent about $120.00. Yes CDs $60 in credit two weeks ago and I'll also go out to admit an anime BOGO box set sale I think in October where I plucked down $150.00. I thought about buying a card at $150, but I did not expect I'd ever buy from them again, as I never bought this much from them in the past. Then I was kicking myself during the Star Trek sets sales, but then again, I had never expected to find them at such a great price at FYE online. The Yes CDs was another surprise find (but I was mostly unloading old cd inventory that I could not sell on ebay which is why I bought that). These things was all spurs of luck (on sale no less), not at all what I perceive to be consistent buying. I don't see myself being a consistent FYE buyer unless they ran 40% off sales every month and other types of amazing bargains are to be had. Without the 40% off sale, I would not be going in there as often. The items I like are so rare and obscure, it's not likely I'd find them at an FYE, so buying a card would seem foolish at the moment. I honestly don't know what to think. If I had modern and common tastes, I would go for a card, but I'm too eccentric to make a card a smart buy like you are proving it to be for yourself.

Other side comments - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalty_program#Criticism This says a little about the criticism about discount cards and I fully believe in it. I'm sure there are other websites out there that can more efficiently explain the matter with proof on how bad these cards really are. Personally, I had my dealings some 20 years ago when I was a teen applying for my first CC. Harassment with junk mail and sales calls, so I'm a bit wiser about my privacy now. Heh, I still get junk mail from some of those places even today. They never give up!

I do wonder, with the visa rebate card, don't you HAVE to give the correct address to get that rebate back to you? This was part of what I was thinking last time. They get your proper name and address with the rebates and they'll sell it off. The DS comment I made was in reference to the 2 or 3 week ago DS rebate sale. Buy a game for $29.99 and get a $20.00 rebate. I was really tempted to do that one.

About loosing a rebate, personally I'm waiting to find and try a $5.00 rebate on a $10.00 item to see how that goes. I won't take a chance on anything higher than that. The items that I am somewhat interested in is always around the $25.00 range and it's too high for me to gamble as I just don't trust them yet. What has me worried was that 2 weeks ago was someone else's post commenting that FYE could be the next Circuit City and thus any rebates would be forever gone...Reading how FYE had performed under expectations last quarter this could very likely happen...

But overall, FYE has to slowly grow their trust with me. It won't be easy to do considering the recent pattern of their $7.88 liquidated cds where the first two weeks it was 75% off, then 50% off, then buy one get one, then 25% off, then buy one get one free again. Inconsistently changing the discounts around like really gets my goat. Also, I had trouble with the buy "3 get the 4th free sale" or buy "2 get the 3rd half off" or sometimes no bogo sale at all. I could never find more than 2 items I wanted to cash in on the sale, which is why I rarely bought much with them over the years.

So, I'm glad for these coupons and if they continue, I should be a consistent buyer indeed. But definitely not at those constantly switching oddball sales they have where it's anyone's guess if you'd be saving the most that week or should you wait another week for a proper sale. Yes, there is a lot one can find wrong with FYE if you're a fussy nick-picker like myself. LOL[/quote]

You know, I'll start off saying I realized one big thing both of us may be forgetting: as much as we're judging FYE on actual experiences - those experiences differ (I would say) mainly because the specific employees you're dealing with - that can make a monstrous difference.
Same thing with area - I've never heard the voice-over-guy you're talking about in my life, and I'm in an FYE at the very least once a week (the one I frequent, I know the manager - he plays the music he wants to, he actually edits out the swears at his house to play what he wants at work).
Also - areas are different. FYE is "new" to me - let's say about three or four years old. I'm 24 so since I was 12 I remember wanting my mom to have taken me to Strawberries or Sam Goody's for CDs. When I was around 20/21 they all changed to FYE, so my dealings with them began then.
I also think that today's music/video climate is so different than around 2002 or before then. Stores are not only competing more and more, but alot of the control has been switched to the consumer. Maybe in the 70's, Transworld could say "fuck the buyer, we'll charge what we want" - the consumer had no control of how to get that music.
Now I feel the power has shifted at least slightly. These corporations can only push you so far AND they need tactics to get you to either trust them or make them worth your time, so it would stand to reason that they've made alot of changes in the company for the current deal with media.
I also see what you mean about having deals consistently, but I think that has to do with the effort you put in to finding those deals or MAKING them! I'm really strict with myself about DVD spending limits, and I do find those constant deals, but it's also because I look for them. I bought $2,400 in DVD's from Gamestop when they were liquidating them - for less than $400!! Through trades at FYE I made tons and tons. I also bought a bunch of new very discounted titles at Best Buy around Christmas and returned them at FYE after Christmas (when they return anything shrink-wrapped even with no receipt) and made a huge profit there.
Combine that with then ten seasons of Friends/Seinfeld rebates, the 14 Oliver Stone movie pack rebate, the Hogan Knows Best rebate, and the 60+ days that this 40% off coupon is active (yes, 60+ days) - that is quite a lot of deals from November - March.
But yeah - that is with modern/common tastes. I'm a film graduate and I'm a journalist who reviews mainly movies, so I own 1,500+ DVDs and I'd like to own all that I'm interested in. I definitely have a very wide range of tastes so that certainly helps (although 40% off all used means all used).
Also read the Criticisms of the Rebate card - interesting. I mean, the FYE specific card requires no adress, email or phone number for activation, so they have no way of tracking you, but in general that could be a valid criticism of cards that have less loose policies.
With rebates - yes, valid address is neccessary, but not with the discount card.
To be honest - this CC thing is definitely true? If you bought a Circuit City item that had a rebate before they went under - your rebate was no longer valid? I'd have to question this. I know that all Circuit City protection plan owners (for like PCs or laptops) will have their protection plans honored, so I would guess that either this is the same with rebates, or that they would offer you a complete refund on the item. A rebate is part of the contract that you and the company are agreeing to when you buy the item, so it is part of what you paid for. I've never heard of a loophole in which they argued they didn't have to pay you, even if the company is closing down.
Also - I think people knew CC was closing something like 4 months beforehand, and they confirmed it at least two months before it happened - it's not going to happen overnight. FYE is also opening new stores so I think any possibilities of closing will be in the not-so-near future.
I will say that yes, the fact that their sales keep changing can be frustrating. But I think I'd rather have constant sales than almost no sales (like Newbury Comics).
So I understand what you're saying. But I defintiely stand by the fact that if you're looking for 50 random used titles at any given time, 40 of them will be the cheapest at FYE, and the ones that aren't will be extremely close.

i dont know bout your stores but mine still has a huge stack of them, though 10/10 time they want to sell me on the stinkin b2g1 deal, all i do is ask for one of the coupons and they give it

picked up batman: gotham knight SE today for 8.10(normally 17.99)

cant wait til the last week of the coupon...me n a buddy are gonna pillage the place.(with the coupon...legally :))

I finally bought the card. I was there today and in the newly arrived used section was about 20 harder to find used cds that I really wanted, but I managed to get only 10 of them which I REALLY REALLY wanted (meaning I would have paid new prices for if I ever found them new). Wishbone Ash, Allman Brothers, Return to Forever/Chick Corea, Triumph, Spock's Beard, Tommy Bolin, Deep Purple, Kevin Stills, Jethro Tull...I have a strong feeling that these belong to the same person that brought in the Yes cd collection last month as well as other interesting goodies in prior months like Genesis, Brian Eno, Steve Hackett, Elton John, Billy Joel, etc collections. This stuff is just too obscure and rare for any FYE to keep getting collections of without it all coming from the same source. By buying the card, I am betting that this person will continue to bring more cool (to me at least) stuff and I intend to visit every weekend so as not to miss out. I was tempted to print out the coupon some 20 times and keep going back to make out on the 40% off sale, but I was too afraid of these disappearing before I could pick them up, knowing I'd never see them again in the wild. It's doubtful anyone else would want them, but who knows?

This week's sale was buy two get the third 1/2 off. I could never figure out if this is better or worse than the buy 3 get the 4th free sale...I'm pretty sure it's better...

[quote name='fairyland']This week's sale was buy two get the third 1/2 off. I could never figure out if this is better or worse than the buy 3 get the 4th free sale...I'm pretty sure it's better...[/quote]

Assuming all items being the same price, a buy 3 get the 4th free deal is a better discount.
1-(2.5/3) = 16.66…% off
1-(3/4) = 25% off

[quote name='unforeseen']Same 40% any used CD or DVD (including BD), different expiration date.
Now the coupon expires 4/26/09.[/quote]

Can you upload it,please?
Wanna get Resident evil 3pack Bluray for $22.50

[quote name='unforeseen']Same 40% any used CD or DVD (including BD), different expiration date.
Now the coupon expires 4/26/09.[/quote]

Where do we find this version? I want to head to FYE tomorrow if possible.

bread's done
Back