- - - - -

CAGcast #152: The Adventures of Jewbeard

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#31 DJSteel

DJSteel

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

Cheapy - About the Mac Mini - check it - http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=13782

Also Mac Mini doesn't have HDMI on it, you'd have to go to AppleTV..

from the blog:

The afterthought in this equation is the Mac mini, which doesn’t line up with better performance and seems priced out of its niche. The specs for the Mac mini are certainly better than before, but Adrian Kingsley-Hughes notes:

The Mac mini update really is little more than the bare minimum Apple could have done.

Good point indeed. And then you consider the price. The Mac mini has two prices–$599 or $799 depending on the memory you get. Now let’s acknowledge that the Mac mini has a neat design. It’s also green. But the value proposition of a Mac mini is questionable. Why?

• Netbooks are much cheaper and have screens.
  • Non-Apple laptops will cost about the same as the Mac mini.
  • You still have to account for a monitor (Apple’s store suggests the $899 24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display.
  • And it’s unclear what niche the Mac mini fills. It’s not quite a living room PC–think Apple TV and Sony Playstation–and it’s not an iMac.
In other words, I have no idea what would convince me to buy a Mac mini even if I loved Apple. There are too many options that offer better value–even on Apple’s own store. If I really wanted a Mac I’d buy something other than the Mac mini. Hell, I’d even get an Apple TV over a Mac mini.
Add it up and it’s quite possible that a Mac mini buyer could eye the $799 version and go either two ways: A person spend another $400 and get an iMac or walk away for more value somewhere else. Apple obviously bets on the former, but you have to wonder why the company needs the Mac mini in its lineup at all. It’s a tweener that just doesn’t make a lot of sense these days.
Update: There are a lot of folks giving me Mac mini use cases now. A few use cases via email and the Talkbacks below:

• Mini clusters as a cheap server set-up;
  • Rack them as computing power for audiophiles;
  • Cheap Mac desktops for those loaded with monitors and accessories.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Mario kart Wii Code - 4597-0827-2394

#32 TheToiletDuck

TheToiletDuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hotel room reserved for Wombat?

Sounds like Wombat's day job isn't the gay-job. ;)

#33 Jicky Jacks

Jicky Jacks

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Great show again guys.

Cheapy, got some tips for you regarding Tai's frequent ear infections that may help. Our 18 months old was experiencing frequent ear infections (had 4 in 6 weeks) a little while back and it was recommended to us that we don't let him use a pacifier anymore. So we went cold turkey on it and he hasn't got an ear infection since. Not sure if Tai uses one, but thought I'd mention it. I've also been told a back adjustment will do wonders too.

Also, many doctors are now recommending that ear infections not be treated with antibiotics as often as they are now for two reasons. First, a majority of ear infections will clear up on their own within a few days just fine without medication. Second, giving antibiotics for ear infections is recogonized as one of the leading causes of antibiotic resistent bacteria.

Wish I had know all this before we had spent hundreds of dollars in doctor visits and medication.

#34 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

Great show enjoyed listening.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#35 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Yo I blogged about that Gamer Razor here on CAG last month.

http://www.cheapassg...blog.php?b=6092

Once again CAGs hear it first.
Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon

#36 Fragonard

Fragonard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

I don't think there will be any DLC Halo Wars. Ensemble Studios, the games developer, no longer exists. The only way I can see it happening is if they finished the DLC before the game shipped and Microsoft is just holding out on people to make more money, which is highly likely.

#37 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Cheapy, finished Wall-E yet? and yes, NXE is still slow for me. fucking sucks.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#38 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, I remember when Wombat showed up at our CAG KZ2 night on Saturday. I hope to see CheapyD show up also sometime.
Posted Image

#39 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, I remember when Wombat showed up at our CAG KZ2 night on Saturday. I hope to see CheapyD show up also sometime.

still waiting for my copy but i wont be joining you guys until i finish the single player.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#40 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

I don't think there will be any DLC Halo Wars. Ensemble Studios, the games developer, no longer exists. The only way I can see it happening is if they finished the DLC before the game shipped and Microsoft is just holding out on people to make more money, which is highly likely.

Robot has already confirmed that they are making the Halo Wars DLC

http://www.eurogamer...n-halo-wars-dlc

#41 thakingrocka

thakingrocka

El Profesor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

i found it very funny that nick suttner replied to wombat's call of "pretentious" by calling him a "philistine."

i'm totally with you guys on these stupid deals on the marketplace. entirely unnecessary, mostly uninteresting dlc being discounted by a few bucks is an insult. braid's price drop was nice, but not enough for me to bite. the thing was overpriced to begin with.

speaking of dlc, i am really pissed at capcom for thier costume nonsense. there is no way those costumes are worth that kind of money, especially when they are already on the disc. filthy bastards. i think everyone should let their closed wallets do the talking. i want those costumes for sure, but i can't justify 20 bucks (in total) to unlock pre-existing game data. oh, and capcom can eat a fat one for making me unlock costume colors by playing time attack and survivial. these are two modes i despise in nearly every fighting game. they are absolute crap.

i can't believe the positivity regarding killzone 2. this is the most disappointed i've been this generation, and i was hardly even hyped for it. the first one stunk. i liked the psp game, but that's a whole other story.

the graphics in KZ2 do little to impress me. everything is so bland and lifeless. i am also having a very hard time accepting a 30fps shooter when the bar was raised to 60fps by CoD 4 a year and a half ago. things are supposed to get better, and this game does nothing better than CoD4 so far that i can see (to nip this in the bud, i can hardly even go back to halo 3 after playing CoD's 60fps) KZ2's controls are terrible. they don't feel at all like intentional "heft," they feel more like the 360 version of far cry's craptastically unresponsive controls with an oversized deadzone. i fully expect this to be patched, but, then again, ubisoft only patched the mp controls on their title, those jackasses. so who knows?

i have a whole litany of complaints about KZ2, but i'll save most of them for a rainy day, and just offer this one more. the menus are absolutely horrific. not only are they poorly designed, but that stupid screen shake/interference effect is offensively bad. does it really have to shake for every single thing you select?

#42 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

CheapyD, 'enjoys the company of men.' "Who doesn't."- HJS.
Good show, PS3 FBs can't complain about this one. Or can they . . .

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#43 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

Wombat, i like that site idea. lemme know if you need contibutions for content. ;)

Cheapy, Wombat helped you spread that Capcom letter. Wombat told me about it so i helped him post it on GAF. i think you should thank him. :) i kinda wish Wombat mentioned that i helped out tho, lol. oh well.

oh yea, great show as always.

Edited by LiK, 04 March 2009 - 06:36 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#44 Ramza394

Ramza394

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

Great show and great jew beard. Now if only Wombat could grow some Jew pork chops, sadly Jews can't have pork.

#45 Angry_Bananas

Angry_Bananas

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

good show like always!!

#46 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

Wombat, I will not kiss your ass. And as for Halo 3 CAG night, who killed you the most during the first game? Oh wait, it was me!

*Inserts evil laugh here

Check it out for yourself and go to Field Stats: http://www.bungie.ne...meid=1002378999
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#47 Keegs

Keegs

Owl + Bungee Cord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

I wish I was Jewish, so I could be "Jewbeard the Pirate."

#48 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

Boo to you both for not mentioning MLB The Show 09 :)

Also in regards to the GTA DLC, the $50 million "advance" was for 2 episodes, the second one will probably be late this year or early next year. So at $20 a pop, there needs to be 2.5 million of these episodes sold for Rockstar to break even with their advance from M$.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#49 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

Putting "straight" in your profile can possibly get you suspended, it was mentioned on Major Nelson's podcast that it is still a suspendable offense as it is also a sexual orientation.

#50 ObiBen

ObiBen

Form Titan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

Of course I download the CAGcast and my iPod dies (for about the seventh time). Looks like it might be time for an upgrade. I'll find some way to listen though, come hell or high water!

#51 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Dude, CheapyD I hope you know you are advertising "Bikini Samurai's" on the top of your website.

Anyways, I am loving the show so far.
360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#52 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Downloading now.. :)

Not attacking my fellow CAGers, but what's the point of these first few posts week after week? It's like the guys who write "First!" on aintitcool.com comments.

#53 tcolberg

tcolberg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Just started listening to the cast but wanted to comment on the Xbox "Dashboard lag" before I forgot about it. I just turned on my first gen 360 to see how long it took to pull up the guide and open the friends list. I counted about 1 second to pull up the guide and another 1-2 secs to open the friend list from there. I have 15 friends on my list.

I would be pissed too if it took 60-90 seconds to pull up a friends list, but I'm not seeing that with my 360. Cheapy, I think you should use your contacts with MSFT to find out what the hell is wrong with this subset of 360s which seem to be having unreasonable amounts of lag.

#54 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

It's weird you mentioned on the show about NXE getting quicker for people, because mine definitely has been faster lately.

Robot has already confirmed that they are making the Halo Wars DLC

http://www.eurogamer...n-halo-wars-dlc

Yeah I was just about to mention this, guys set up Robot for future title updates and DLC. I reckon they will release other campaigns covering the other factions.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#55 mriswyth

mriswyth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

I had to comment that I found it funny that you went from discussing not knowing the word "Philistine" to Wombat's "Jewbeard."

"Lowbrow" wasn't the synonym that I think of. The Torah would lead me to think of unclean and uncircumcised.

I wanted to know if Nick was intentionally targeting his "pretentious" reply at Wombat's heritage? The Jewish people of old would certainly not have appreciated the label. I thought it was appropriately funny and clever.

#56 ramatut4001

ramatut4001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

Not attacking my fellow CAGers, but what's the point of these first few posts week after week? It's like the guys who write "First!" on aintitcool.com comments.

At least they're not calling CAGs "CAGers".

#57 Captain Freeze

Captain Freeze

Totally Party!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

More F-bombs!
More Beards!
Less Ps3!

#58 kyok

kyok

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:15 AM

Playing SF4 in arcade mode with fight interruptions will get you a constant stream of challengers i'd say about at most 30 seconds after each match ends than waiting at the quick match lobby pressing search over and over and not being able to connect. So if you want to play people then play arcade mode rather than quick match.

#59 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

Adventures of Jewbeard is a Wii game.

#60 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:50 AM

Both of your iMacs are capable of playing PC games like the Total War game you mentioned. You just choose not to play them.

And in Wombat's jewbeard defense, he wasn't doing that bad in that Killzone gamenight.
:-#