Best Buy 50% off rack - YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMguy

CAGiversary!
Local Best Buy in Rochester, MN (north) had a 50% off video games rack near the checkout.

Mostly garbage but they had a couple of Saints Row 2 CE marked down to $30 so I snagged one. CE is still $60 here, non-CE is $50.

I asked about it since they had a bunch of others on the shelves marked full price but the manager just said they probably haven't been marked down yet. After I got home I saw a dent in the tin (which I couldn't care less about since I just wanted the game) so it was probably a scratch'n'dent markdown.

They have the same set-up at the Apple Valley, MN store. A good number of GTA IV CE and Assassin's Creed CE last time I was there a few days ago.

same in seekonk ma but pretty much crap ps3 and 360 titles, alot of DS games but i dont own one so didnt pay attention to which ones

A brand new BB just opened up down the road from me. I haven't been there yet. I wonder if they'd have this or it's just getting rid of old crap.

I work in a Best Buy, perhaps I can help.

clearances at Best Buy are on a store-by-store basis. What doesn't sell in that particular store may eventually be put on clearance, but it is pretty YYMV. It isn't at all a chain-wide thing like Target.

Ona side note, my store has Resistance 2 ce for $40. can anyone tell me if the artbook is any good?

[quote name='SDC']I work in a Best Buy, perhaps I can help.

clearances at Best Buy are on a store-by-store basis. What doesn't sell in that particular store may eventually be put on clearance, but it is pretty YYMV. It isn't at all a chain-wide thing like Target.

Ona side note, my store has Resistance 2 ce for $40. can anyone tell me if the artbook is any good?[/QUOTE]

I hate how they changed it to be different at each store, my local Best Buy never has clearance deals.

I miss the old standard price will be the same at all Best Buy clearances they used to do

Only decent thing at mine right now is the Eye of Judgment bundle for $35. I've snagged UT3 and some other games at 50% though.

Man, I've got to move somewhere where people don't buy good games. We only get shit in the clearance bins at our Best Buy.

[quote name='IBMguy']Local Best Buy in Rochester, MN (north) had a 50% off video games rack near the checkout.

Mostly garbage but they had a couple of Saints Row 2 CE marked down to $30 so I snagged one. CE is still $60 here, non-CE is $50.

I asked about it since they had a bunch of others on the shelves marked full price but the manager just said they probably haven't been marked down yet. After I got home I saw a dent in the tin (which I couldn't care less about since I just wanted the game) so it was probably a scratch'n'dent markdown.[/quote]
HOLY CRAP A CAG IN MY TOWN,............This is good...anything else good? XD

Went to my local BBY today and they had two racks of games all 25% off one game and 50% off if you purchased two or more games. Pretty much garbage but they had a couple copies of Valkyria Chronicles. So I picked that up for $29.99 and my second game was The Simpsons for $4.99.

Ona side note, my store has Resistance 2 ce for $40. can anyone tell me if the artbook is any good?[/quote]

to be honest it isnt but for $40 thats a steal,at my store they had the fallout 3 CE :360: for about $40

Ona side note, my store has Resistance 2 ce for $40. can anyone tell me if the artbook is any good?[/QUOTE]

CE is worth it if you're a fan of the resistance world, as i am.

If not, don't bother.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']holy crap...is it like a rochester mn party? i just might snag that last saints row CE.[/quote]
Another CAG...Holy Crap...I won't get the Saints Row CE, but could you tell me if they have a Resistance 2 CE on Clerance?

BB in Ocoee, FL (near Orlando) - I picked up Civilization Revolution & Animal Crossing - City Folk (with Wii Speak mic) at 50% off.

Valkyria Chronicles was in the Clearance at mine since Sunday, right after their restock of the section. $30, reduced from $60!

Also, Star Ocean: First Departure was amongst the PSP titles for 50% off as well ($15 at checkout). Last I checked on Tuesday they were almost all gone.

Huntington Station, NY location.

[quote name='evil_twin']same in glen burnie, md[/quote]

notice anything good there for PS3? I'll be down in the area tomorrow

[quote name='btw1217']Only decent thing at mine right now is the Eye of Judgment bundle for $35. I've snagged UT3 and some other games at 50% though.[/quote]
50% off what? $60? That's my guess, but I'm hoping it's lower.

BB Maple Grove MN - I picked up GTA IV L&D for $10 (none left) + Bioshock Guide for $.01 (4 left marked at $19.99).

The Best Buys in West Covina, CA has a $14.99 and 9.99 bin, bunch a junk though but you know what they say, "one man's junk is another man's treasure!"

I have a question about .01 game manuals. Are they ever marked down to .01 or do you just have to bring each one up and see if they are at the check out?

Went to the Pasadena BB and all the copies of Valkyria Chronicles are gone (there were 3 copies just a couple of days ago), but the little tag of the game with the price is still on the rack where the game used to be. I hope they are in the process of clearancing it, although I've never seen a 50% off rack at this BB.

[quote name='SadExchange82']I have a question about .01 game manuals. Are they ever marked down to .01 or do you just have to bring each one up and see if they are at the check out?[/quote]

I've seen shelf tags for guides priced at .01 but it's rare. Just use this list, found in the Reduced Price Game Guides thread, to see which guides are pennied.

Only one BB in my area had a clearance rack but since they remodeled the video game section, it is nowhere to be found. Or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

I went to the Rochester MN north BB to pick up the Saints Row CE, but to no avail. Some CAG probably got to it before I did. Noticed Warkhawk bundle for $25 after discount and Tom Clancy's Endwar bundle PS3 for $45 after discount. Only one Warhawk and probably 3 endwar bundles left.

[quote name='R2D2']BB Maple Grove MN - I picked up GTA IV L&D for $10 (none left) + Bioshock Guide for $.01 (4 left marked at $19.99).[/quote]

is GTA4 L&D the game guide you are talking abt?

[quote name='IBMguy']Local Best Buy in Rochester, MN (north) had a 50% off video games rack near the checkout.

I asked about it since they had a bunch of others on the shelves marked full price but the manager just said they probably haven't been marked down yet. After I got home I saw a dent in the tin (which I couldn't care less about since I just wanted the game) so it was probably a scratch'n'dent markdown.[/QUOTE]

havent seen this at a Best Buy in Phoenix area but I'll be on the look out to see if best buy around here has one

Went to the BB at Palm Desert, California. Picked up Rogue Galaxy for about $7 while a bud got Gears of War 2 CE for $40. Don't know about how many RG were left, but plenty of GoW2 CE, though they're in a little display in the game section instead of in the red box at the checkout.

[quote name='One4Deuce']Damn, if I saw Valkyria Chronicles at a Best Buy near me, I'd definitely go for it for $30.[/quote]
Yeah. One of the best PS3 games.

As a former Best Buy employee, I can take the "store by store" assessment to an even bigger way of knowing and that's based on "region". Regional managers are the ones that cast down the "heat" to stores to get them to make deals. Store by store still has its merit, but if a regional manager is really firm on policy and margin, you'll never see games, software or computers marked down.

For example, here in San Diego - In Chula Vista, you have a pretty good chance of getting a deal on an open box or discontinued computer or television. Software is almost NEVER on clearance slash prices. When the 2008 Edition Macbooks were discontinued, we sold black Macbooks (Normally $1500) were going for as low as $750 open box with full box/accessories and hardly a scratch on them. But in El Cajon? You were lucky to even get the 10% Open Box discount off the regular price, because the El Cajon managers argued that "the marked down price is considerably lower than the retail price, so they're hard to find, so even when we get open box, we put them back up to original price." As you can probably guess, El Cajon had a lot of Macbooks sitting on their shelves.

Your best bet, in all honesty, is to ask an employee if they have any "at risk" PS3 or 360 games that the manager might make a deal on. If they have boxes of stuff sitting in the back, a manager will be willing to part ways with 10-20% off.

Even regular employees can slash a product by 10% or as much as 15% depending on the dollar amount. I've taken 10% off software, games, accessories for many customers to make the deal "sweeter". I never did it on high priced items like computers or televisions because that's a red flag, but even when I took 15% off Gears of War 2 for a customer who was buying a 360, the extra warranty on top of his computer, my managers didn't really care.

So yeah, definite YMMV, but if a title's been out a while and they have a lot on the shelf and you know it's a game that doesn't get recirculated, ie. Collector Edition Fallout 3, Saint's Row 2, etc... It's definitely worth at least asking an employee if a manager will discount it.

Update: We have two copies of Resistance 2 collector's edition at my store, but they aren't marked at $40, they are just sitting at (apparently) full price.
I don't really know what that's about. Maybe they decided it was worth gambling for it to go EoL rather than losing the extra cash by marking it down.

I saw this at my local best buy but it looks like they doubled the prices of the crap games and are now selling them as 50% off. I kno NFL tour and The Bigs were 9.99 before christmas and now they are 19.99 before 50% off

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back