Photo
- - - - -

Amazon Starts Video Game Trade-Ins - Get 10% Off a Future Gaming Purchase

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#31 InfiniteNine

InfiniteNine

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hope people send in a few SNES games I can pick up.

#32 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

This is good news indeed since I usually grab most of my games off Amazon but I think over the years I've just decided to collect games more so than selling them back.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#33 dan13l858

dan13l858

R.I.P. Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

Now, this is real competition for Gamestop. I have some extra games from various clearance sales.

#34 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

Trade-in values are weak ... I don't see this doing much besides taking a piece of the pie away from Gamestop ... I prefer Amazon as a company though, so if I were to trade I would definitely do business with them from that standpoint. 10% off is a somewhat weak incentive ... now if they had some sort of points card or rewards system that accrued credit over time, I'd be all over that. As it stands now, there's no real reason to jump on the bandwagon or be even remotely excited. Both TRU & Amazon need to not just compete with GS but completely undercut them in order to change people's attitudes and habits. Guess it's a wait and see thing ... I'll have my eye on it but for now it doesn't seem worth much ...

#35 jdeluis

jdeluis

Now In Stereo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

Cool. All I know is this thread is going to huge.

#36 dm877

dm877

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

i'm sending 4 games. I'll let you know how it goes.

#37 groundskeeper

groundskeeper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

I gave it a shot. Traded a few older PS2 games in to see how well it works and to get the 10% code.
CAG Not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

#38 Loudminority80

Loudminority80

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

Whats so grand about this one?

Phantasy Star Online, Episode I & II Plus
GameCube
Trade-in Value: $34.00

I still have mine new. Is there something of importance that makes this worth more than $7?

#39 safire

safire

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

TIV's are half on par with GS, half crap. I will be hunting for some Hitz 20-03 for GC, though haha
I'm attempting to sell some rarities:

-SCPH-1110 (aka sony ps1 flightstick)
-R4 box with Jogcon controller and t-shirt (JP)
-Earthbound, complete

#40 weevles

weevles

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

What I like besides the 10% off pre-orders is that shipping is "free" so far. I have a feeling though that this feature has/will have some affect on the TiV.

I dunno, GS has the benefit of instant gratification and I'm not sure I'm willing to wait on the whole process to go through when I can do pretty much the same thing @ GS w/Edge + whatever promos they have.

I'd rather just stick with amazon's discount prices on new games, DoTD, FSSS, etc.. Now if Amazon brought back the Price Protection in any form, I'd be singing their praises for sure.

#41 Jay

Jay

Free and Fearless

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

Nothing special here.

#42 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

Trade-in values seem decent but not good enough to bother doing this over a trip to GS.

#43 Vitality X

Vitality X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

In the broad sense, this could be epic. What makes this so attractive is the fact you can use the gift card for anything on amazon.

#44 doodofdoods

doodofdoods

Prinny Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

Whats so grand about this one?

Phantasy Star Online, Episode I & II Plus
GameCube
Trade-in Value: $34.00

I still have mine new. Is there something of importance that makes this worth more than $7?

It goes for $40+ on ebay, last I checked. Guess it's rare, the xbox version goes for considerably less.

I'm trading in two games. We'll see how this goes.

#45 arnoldhead

arnoldhead

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

Let's see, I got NBA 09 for free from Amazon and now they're offering $14 for trading it in? Amazon ftw!

#46 namtrahj

namtrahj

Well-wisher

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

Bottom of the page says "Trade-in titles are purchased by a third party merchant." So much for big Amazon sales on used games.
47029.pngfs.png
ach.png

#47 doodofdoods

doodofdoods

Prinny Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Let's see, I got NBA 09 for free from Amazon and now they're offering $14 for trading it in? Amazon ftw!

haha, yea those would be the two games I'm trading in to them.

#48 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Anyone who would do this is a fool. Like was said before you can sell them for at least twice the amount. If youre going through the effort to have an Amazon account why wouldnt you just list the item and wait a day to sell.:S

#49 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

So it looks like this is going through a company called NorAm International. I'm not at all familiar with the company, but here is their homepage: http://www.norampart....com/index.html

On that page, they show their seller IDs on both Amazon and Half.com.

They seem to mainly deal in media sales (mostly books, DVDs, and CDs) through storefronts on those sites.

I'm still trying to find out more info on them.

Edited by shipwreck, 05 March 2009 - 02:10 PM.

"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#50 ryuu

ryuu

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

Here are the details on the 10% off coupon with the important parts bolded.

Details:

-To qualify for the 10% off coupon code, you must create a trade-in order during the two-week promotion period (March 6, 2009 - March 19, 2009). Items must be postmarked no later than March 26, 2009 to qualify.
-Coupon code applies to games and accessories in the Amazon.com Video Games store, excluding console or handheld hardware.
-Trade-in submissions not accepted and returned to you do not qualify for the promotion. Your trade-in submission could be returned to you if the items are damaged or non-working, incorrect items are included in your package, or accessories such as artwork or manuals are missing. Any submission postmarked later than 7 days after a mailing label is printed will be returned to you automatically. You should receive returned games within 14 days of receipt via the U.S. Postal Service.
-Qualifying customers will be emailed their coupon code within 30 days after the promotion period has ended.
-Coupon code applies only to items shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to items sold by other merchants on the Amazon.com Web site. Does not apply to any products purchased in Amazon.com's other sites, including Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, or Amazon.co.jp, or in Marketplace.
-Coupon code applies to the lowest priced qualifying item.
-Coupon code valid on purchases shipped before 12/31/09.

-Applies only to complete orders shipping to a single address that meet all other promotional requirements.
-No substitutions or rain checks.
-Offer must be redeemed through the Shopping Cart. Does not apply to orders placed with 1-Click.
-Tax, shipping, and handling charges may apply to all products.
-Offer may not be combined with other offers, including promotional certificates.
-Void where prohibited.
-Limit one discount per household.

#51 bones56

bones56

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

very interesting and gamestop is going to have a lot of competition. I haven't been in one in over a month. Well this is the future of gaming buying and selling used games.

Posted Image

#52 soliddragon

soliddragon

Early Adopter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

you could just sell the games in amazon's marketplace yourself and get more $.

Absolutely Randy, that's what i do. although I do agree the market for trade ins could use more competition. This goes to show all of us the MASSIVE amounts of money these companies are making off of us, by trading in the games at HALF what they are turned around and sold for.

DONT do it bro!
'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#53 Mogambi

Mogambi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

Very...very interesting ;)

#54 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

hmm.. this could be interesting

#55 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

Just them requiring a Case and Manual undamaged is good enough.

#56 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

I will just sell my games like usual (with exceptions), but kudos to Amazon for requiring box and manual.

#57 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

It goes for $40+ on ebay, last I checked. Guess it's rare, the xbox version goes for considerably less.

I'm trading in two games. We'll see how this goes.

I heard the XBox version is completely unplayable now since they took the servers down and that one REQUIRED you to go online even if you were playing offline mode.

#58 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

great! ill try this out.

#59 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

Hope people send in a few SNES games I can pick up.

I don't see SNES on the list to trade in things, but I'm pretty blind as is.

I think this is a great way to stick it to Gamestop, but I don't think a lot of people will take advantage of this because of the waiting game and lack of promotions Amazon will offer outside of the current 10% off future gaming purchase.

Also this is going to possibly make more and more developers angry and perhaps garner a bigger push towards possible console DRM or digital download. Not that I blame them.

Also, even with paypal fees and eBay fees I'm still getting anywhere from 10-30% more in "hard cash" versus credit. But that's just me. Other games It's a lot more.

#60 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

nice, GS needs some competition. i like this new trend.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09