Amazon Starts Video Game Trade-Ins - Get 10% Off a Future Gaming Purchase

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#61 phantomfriar2002

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

This is a better idea in concept than it is in application. Most of the values are HORRIBLE. As others have mentioned you are much better off selling them direct through Amazon Marketplace yourself!

Even some of the lousy second-tier titles I tried come out that way. Take DEADLIEST CATCH for the 360 even --

Trade-in Value: $8
Current Marketplace Lowest Price: $19.99

I mean, that's a $10 difference right there on that one title! You're basically THROWING money away selling it directly to them.

#62 blackdog60

blackdog60

Power to the PAW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

wow, I guess a new standard in used game trade in value has just been created.

edit: better than Gamestop or Hastings have offered me for some titles I checked.
I just wonder about the trade in value to how much Amazon plan on selling it for.
How much of a profit are they planning on each traded in game.

Edited by blackdog60, 05 March 2009 - 02:04 PM.

#63 Akira119

Akira119

Your doing it wrong!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Tell you guys what, you PM some of your games and I'll PayPal you Amazon's trade-in price and pay for your shipping.

#64 xrayzwei

xrayzwei

is ready to believe you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

This is a better idea in concept than it is in application. Most of the values are HORRIBLE. As others have mentioned you are much better off selling them direct through Amazon Marketplace yourself!

Even some of the lousy second-tier titles I tried come out that way. Take DEADLIEST CATCH for the 360 even --

Trade-in Value: $8
Current Marketplace Lowest Price: $19.99

I mean, that's a $10 difference right there on that one title! You're basically THROWING money away selling it directly to them.

But at 19.99 how long has that marketplace listing been on the site? That's the real gamble.

I would have thought Amazon (or the subsidiary that is handling this for them) would have reduced their margin somewhat for this to compete with GS, maybe even through the promotion period, but we'll know for sure when the game start selling. Right now it seems more like a crapshoot as to who will give you a better trade. I also don't like the idea of the company not accepting the trade (for whatever reason) and then waiting 2 weeks while the value is dropping even more before I can try and trade it in elsewhere. I also looked up somethings that GS has paid higher for in the past, and they don't have them listed.

I do agree that an amazon giftcard is nice, gamestop credit isn't as useful sometimes.

#65 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

Not sure this will be worth it unless there is some big mismatch in pricing, but I suppose its another option. I'm somewhat suprized by this considering it doesn't appear that gaming has been too effected by the downturn in the economy yet.

#66 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

That is very true, but is always the case with selling to a company over selling to another person. Most of us here will take a ~10 dollar loss over the time and effort it takes to sell to another individual, especially if you got a bunch of games you're trying to unload.

It's so much easier to just take a bunch of games and sell it to a company that won't refuse it or ask questions over individually packaging up and selling each game up, with no real guarantees the person buying it will pay.

I'll stick to GS unless Amazon really ups their game for most of these values, not to mention it's just much easier to wheel and deal by doing it in person with stackable promos over shipping things in the mail. Games that are B-titles are not that easy to sell unless they're rare or a cult hit, so I welcome more game trade-in possibilities, but GS will still be the first place for most of us.

It's really cool though that you can use that credit on anything at AMZ and might be an option in the future if I want to unload some things to get some DVDs or something.

#67 popeye

popeye

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

something tells me that this is a bad thing, i don't know what, but i keep saying to myself that this will add more competition to gamestop. and sticken it to the folks at gamestop is never a bad idea.
Lame Sig is Lame.

#68 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

Oh yeah, this broke on Kotaku just a while ago. Link: http://kotaku.com/51...g-used-game-biz

#69 xrayzwei

xrayzwei

is ready to believe you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

if we only had a way to compare the trade-in values on CAG ...

#70 Bookninja

Bookninja

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

Remember to cut out commissions when comparing prices in Amazon Marketplace. A regular seller (not pro seller) will be charged 15% of sale price and a $1 fee. Shipping cost and reimbursement tend to break, but you tend to make a little money on shipping a video game with Amazon's reimbursement. In most cases the trade in is much lower than the corrected sale price - but for LittleBigPlanet they are offering $29 when the low used price is $33.88. Figuring commission and fee, you can only get $27.80 for the low price copy of LBP.
A more typical example is Mirror's Edge (PS3) - trade in offered is $13.50 and low used price is $28.95 at time of post. Corrected 3rd party sale is ($28.95*.85)- $1 = $23.61, so you are losing $10. The 10% off coupon is only good for video games and accessories sold by Amazon (excluding consoles), so maybe you could order a limited edition of something to make up the $10.
Generally, you are giving up value for certainty. I've sold a bunch of video games as an Amazon seller and they sell FAST - under a day if you describe them right. I think most CAGs would be better off getting more value, faster, and in cash instead of credit by selling on the Amazon marketplace.

#71 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

At the bottom of the page it says: "Trade-in titles are purchased by a third party merchant"

I wonder if GameStop is the 3rd party merchant?

In any event, this is great--I'd so much rather get store credit at Amazon.con than at GameStop, especially since games usually ship for free and I don't ever have to pay sales tax.

#72 xxnike629xx

xxnike629xx

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

something tells me that this is a bad thing, i don't know what, but i keep saying to myself that this will add more competition to gamestop. and sticken it to the folks at gamestop is never a bad idea.

+ No need to deal with annoying GameStop employees and customers
+ No need to drive out and wait in lines with a backpack full of stuff only to get low returns
- Need to spend money on packaging and shipping it out
- Takes time to get money back
- Trade in Values are about the same as GameStop (for the most part)
- Not that many games that you can trade in right now
- Can simply sell the games yourself on Amazon Marketplace (like i do) at a much better rate

IMO, it might sound nice and make it harder for GameStop to compete, but I'd rather not do any business with GameStop (never did any business with GameStop for about a year or 2 now), buy my games normally on Amazon, sell games and stuff on Amazon normally and get more money back...

This isn't that surprising as Toys R Us (to my understanding) is owned by Amazon.

#73 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

At the bottom of the page it says: "Trade-in titles are purchased by a third party merchant"

I wonder if GameStop is the 3rd party merchant?

In any event, this is great--I'd so much rather get store credit at Amazon.con than at GameStop, especially since games usually ship for free and I don't ever have to pay sales tax.

No, the third-party merchant is a company called NorAm International. I posted the details on the last page.

This isn't that surprising as Toys R Us (to my understanding) is owned by Amazon.

Toys R Us is not owned by Amazon. They just used to have a partnership for their online sales.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#74 xrayzwei

xrayzwei

is ready to believe you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

This isn't correct, the TRU site broke away from the Amazon site sometime ago as a merchant partner. I'm pretty sure they're not owned by Amazon.

#75 popeye

popeye

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

+ No need to deal with annoying GameStop employees and customers
+ No need to drive out and wait in lines with a backpack full of stuff only to get low returns
- Need to spend money on packaging and shipping it out
- Takes time to get money back
- Trade in Values are about the same as GameStop (for the most part)
- Not that many games that you can trade in right now
- Can simply sell the games yourself on Amazon Marketplace (like i do) at a much better rate

IMO, it might sound nice and make it harder for GameStop to compete, but I'd rather not do any business with GameStop (never did any business with GameStop for about a year or 2 now), buy my games normally on Amazon, sell games and stuff on Amazon normally and get more money back...

word has it theres a 3rd party thats doing the sales. if its gamestop i dont think ill be using this, but if not i might pick up a few things.

EDIT:

No, the third-party merchant is a company called NorAm International. I posted the details on the last page.

sweet i am all for this. lets hope there trade in values are fair.
Lame Sig is Lame.

#76 xrayzwei

xrayzwei

is ready to believe you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

I think Ship's info on the third party merchant NorAm International should be in the OP

#77 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

I think Ship's info on the third party merchant NorAm International should be in the OP

I made it so.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#78 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:20 PM

This seems bound for failure, most people use gamestop because they are lazy so I don't see them going through to hassle of mailing in a game to get about the same TIV. People who already use the amazon will usually get a better deal by just selling the game for cash.
Are the gift certificates good for anything on the site or just video games? If there good for anything I can see that being an advantage over gamestop.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#79 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

Well, the big advantage to this is that your credit is good on much more then just games. One downside is that you can only trade in certain games, not just anything. It is fairly convenient since you can print a shipping label and shipping is free, but you do have to have a shipping envelope, and that is an expense. As far as how it compares to selliing it on your own, well, there is less risk, but it doesn't have the convenience advantage of Gamestop, that's for certain. I hope it works out as I'd like to buy used games from Amazon, plus there may be occasions when there are flipping opportunities.

#80 Riskbreaker23

Riskbreaker23

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

i hope thing does well so that TIV in general will go up as competition increases

#81 mercilessming

mercilessming

Call upon Dyzan

• CAGiversary!

My Concern is we have all read the issues some Publishers/Studios have with USED market, they whine about USED market cutting into profits. Now Toys R US testing and Amazon going forward with it, I am afraid this will push the console market via Publisher/developer studio complaints to go digital distribution, meaning the end of good prices (I doubt much digital distribution gets Clearanced LOL ) the end of physical resellable games.
Do you feel the need to prove you have Online Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (a.k.a. The Grammar Nazi) ????

#82 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

Where will this "used" trend stop? Will they move on to DVD trade-ins also or is the DVD market just so saturated that it wouldn't be worth the hassle?

#83 Galego23

Galego23

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:33 PM

Where will this "used" trend stop? Will they move on to DVD trade-ins also or is the DVD market just so saturated that it wouldn't be worth the hassle?

Last time I checked, there was already a DVD trade-in market...

#84 Haggar

Haggar

Mayor of Metro City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

Also... i think shipping should be included

For the second time, you do not pay for shipping. It tells you right at the top of the page.

#85 monogoat

monogoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

For a regular current gen video game case (same size as DVD), I use padded envelopes I get from Dollar Tree with great success for shipping. They come in 2 packs, so $0.50 each before taxes.

#86 awp

awp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

Let's see, I got NBA 09 for free from Amazon and now they're offering $14 for trading it in? Amazon ftw!

Guess I missed how people got NBA 09 for free from Amazon.

#87 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

Last time I checked, there was already a DVD trade-in market...

I meant at Amazon, that is why I said "they", but I should have been a bit more clear.

#88 Bazylik

Bazylik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

picky system... or I'm doing something wrong but when I try to find Haze it won't find it.. not even motorstorm.

#89 A_FITZ

A_FITZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

My Concern is we have all read the issues some Publishers/Studios have with USED market, they whine about USED market cutting into profits. Now Toys R US testing and Amazon going forward with it, I am afraid this will push the console market via Publisher/developer studio complaints to go digital distribution, meaning the end of good prices (I doubt much digital distribution gets Clearanced LOL ) the end of physical resellable games.

Well if thats the case... ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS!!!
A_FITZ!

#90 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

you could just sell the games in amazon's marketplace yourself and get more $.

Funny thing is you could sell in the marketplace and get amazon credit BUT there was massive problems with this so they stopped it

Expect to either see very low trade in vaules or Massive problems...

I got around 20 games i was going to trade into Gamefly Tomorrow but i just wait and see what happens

LOL EDIT THEIR PRICES SUCK
WOOOO I STINK