Amazon Starts Video Game Trade-Ins - Get 10% Off a Future Gaming Purchase

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#91 Nirron

Nirron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

picky system... or I'm doing something wrong but when I try to find Haze it won't find it.. not even motorstorm.

Quite possibly. I just did a search on a few games seeing if I could find a few nice trade-in values, and a majority of the games I searched had no results, or the results were completely unrelated games (Metroid Prime for instance isn't on there, though 2 and 3 are, but it shows No More Heroes and Okami). While I'm an enormous enthusiast of complete games, and Amazon does have the benefit of the marketplace being a better place to sell new/rare releases, taking ALL games and taking them with/without cover art/manual gives GS a nice boost.

They're roughly equal in my eyes considering you have to make sure the stuff is complete, though Amazon credit is tempting. I've been browsing looking for good GS to Amazon flips, but haven't really come up with anything. I'd make a thread but I'm not on here enough to update that thing.

#92 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Could you imagine too if this worked with Amazon Prime? Could be pretty sweet.

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#93 MattVid

MattVid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

This should be interesting, though, the TIV's don't excite me at all. I would rather just hold onto my games than spend time packaging and dropping them off in the mail to make 10 bucks. I think I will stick with eBay :P
Regards,
MattVid
Now Playing:
:pc:: Aion, Champions Online, Crysis, SCII, L4D 2
:ps3:: Read Dead Redemption, Prototype
:psp:: Nothing
:ds:-i: Zelda: Spirit Tracks
:wii:: New SMB, Wii Sports Resort

#94 WonkyToad

WonkyToad

CAG-aholic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

The one thing that really bothers me about his is that it will instantly set a standard pricing on used games on Amazon.
Instead of Amazon sellers selling their goods at what they feel is a fair "market value", the price will pretty much be dictated by whatever Amazon's 3rd party company says they are selling it for.
So, a seller will have to sell it for less than them or hope the other company goes out of stock.
Block freedom to access ANY kind of information and you do just that; Block Freedom!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#95 ConfuciusCag

ConfuciusCag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

Well if thats the case... ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS!!!

I like my physical media :cry:

#96 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

some of their trade in values arent too bad, like for some older games the values are actually higher than gs, but a lot of the newer games that just came out arent really worth trading in. not to mention these dont exactly stack with my edge card, and if i did want the option to just cash out, there isnt one. i can probably make more selling it on ebay even with the eye gouging fees or just selling it on amazon marketplace myself. not sure if its worth all the effort to ship, and if the conditions arent what they expected they ship it back, and may have to charge me shipping to ship it back, etc etc. ill believe it when some people actually do it and give some feedback i guess
Posted Image

#97 Treythalomew

Treythalomew

Add me on PSN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm hoping that they undercut all of gamestops prices and have great combo deals. I live for amazon and all it does

#98 ConfuciusCag

ConfuciusCag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

The one thing that really bothers me about his is that it will instantly set a standard pricing on used games on Amazon.
Instead of Amazon sellers selling their goods at what they feel is a fair "market value", the price will pretty much be dictated by whatever Amazon's 3rd party company says they are selling it for.
So, a seller will have to sell it for less than them or hope the other company goes out of stock.

Didn't even think of that. I usually unload my games on amazon because I can squeeze a few more bucks out of them. I guess I won't have much of a choice now, we'll see how it works out.

#99 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Sucks you can only get one discount coupon. I think it's worth trading in one game just for that coupon though.
:-#

#100 Thunderscope

Thunderscope

too cheap for a title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

Why would I trade in a copy of my game on Amazon for $5 when I can sell it on Amazon for $15???
-Cheap Ass Gamer Addict-

#101 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hmm I dont use Amazon that much...
The trade in values are on par with GS, although GS usually has better better stacked trade in values.

Might give it a shot with some older games.

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#102 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

That's weird. I was going to trade in the Orange Box for the 360. It said I could not because my trade-in submission was less than $10. So, in order to trade in your games, the total value of your games has to be over $10. werd.
:-#

#103 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

Good to hear. Hopefully more retailers jump in on the used game business.

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#104 groundskeeper

groundskeeper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

picky system... or I'm doing something wrong but when I try to find Haze it won't find it.. not even motorstorm.

Yes, no Haze in the system. PS3 has a short list of games.
CAG Not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

#105 omyard

omyard

dreaming neon black

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

I'll pass. If I wanted to deal with online transactions I'd deal with eBay.

I use Gamestop because they're convenient and I can use my trade-in credit on something else right away.

#106 Yartac

Yartac

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

I don't think game developers can fully switch to digital downloads without the consumers consent. If the consumer doesn't like it, and doesn't buy the first digital versions, that sends a strong message to the game developer.

Perhaps one day it will work like the music industry now. Digital downloads of CDs are a little cheaper than the physical thing, but you can't resell. I think that would be a happy medium. You pay a little more, but can resell, or you pay a little less and save them production cost. Especially in the world of 'going green' I could see it happening.

#107 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Since we're talking about digital downloads here as a possible replacement for actual physical discs and how that might affect the used game industry... I wouldn't count on it anytime soon to replace disc media. Looks like we'll be able to buy/sell our stuff used for at least another generation without worry.

#108 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

its easier to move things physically. what they can do later on is release it as a physical format, and within a certain time frame make it available as a digital format (maybe a year or 2 after its release, maybe sooner). maybe eventually making it available again in-stores but as one of those over-the-counter gift card like format (where you scratch the code in the back).

#109 rvdrock

rvdrock

Master Of The Ellipsis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

I'm a big fan of Amazon, but those trade in values are pretty bad....

#110 cheeky

cheeky

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Wow. That's a major score for NorAm.

#111 halofreak64

halofreak64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

some prices are crap than u got good prices on bs games im going to try it with ufc for the ps2 16 bucks is awesome.

wish I had the manual for dark alliance 2 for the ps2 20 dollars would be nice.

#112 rodeojones903

rodeojones903

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Is the coupon one use only, or does it work like the HD DVD coupon where you can use it as many times as you want until it expires? If it was a multiple use coupon this would be worth trading in atleast once.

Estarland gives better credit on every game I checked though.

#113 smashngrab77

smashngrab77

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

TIV's are crap and most games arent even in the Database

#114 dubbfoolio

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

holy crap. wonder how much of a ripoff this will be.

#115 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

I'm not really worried since the TIV is comparable to Gamestop I'll bet the prices on they sell used games at will be comparable too.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#116 gobz

gobz

~* Bird Lives *~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

I just find it so hard to part with games. Even crappy ones

#117 BShea

BShea

Devoted Deal Seeker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

There's potential for a hot deal on the RB: AC/DC trackpack. I don't know if they are still on sale at Wal-Mart for $20, but tiv is $10 on Amazon. Bringing what most paid $40 for down to $10.

#118 punkmaggit

punkmaggit

Masashi Hamauzu > you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Shoot - $14 trade-in value for Xenosaga III? I'm there!

#119 LonelyController

LonelyController

lonelycontroller.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Like many have said, the TIVs aren't that great. I'm going to do it once for the 10% off.

Is it thought that Amazon will be offering used games directly, or will it just be NorAm International's storefront? With my Amazon Prime, I hope its Amazon directly.

Good scoop, CAG!

#120 FlyingMonkey9

FlyingMonkey9

Genetically Modified CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

The only good TIV is Left 4 Dead for 26.50, but even then, GS is 24 right now plus edge card is almost the exact same

Plus, do we need to pay for shipping?