Unlimited game and movie rentals for $39.99 @ Hollywood Video

tardoman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hollywood Video is about to unveil a new plan that allows for unlimited game or movie rentals for $39.99 / month! I believe you can begin signing up for it on 3/9/09.

It's called the powerplay. There are 4 different levels to the plan: Silver ($7.99), Gold ($14.99), Platinum ($24.99), Diamond ($39.99).

Each plan has a set quantity of monthly PowerPoints (excluding Diamond), and rentals vary in point cost. Older movies = 2 points, new release movies = 3 points, Blu-ray = 4 points, and games = 5 points.

Silver $7.99 -- 8 monthly powerpoints, 1 item out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Gold $14.99 -- 15 monthly powerpoints, 2 items out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Platinum $24.99 -- 25 monthly powerpoints, 3 items out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games.
Diamond $39.99 -- Unlimited powerpoints, 3 items out at a time (2 game max), no due dates on games & movies.

On any of the plans you can extend game rentals for 1 point per day. Platinum plans can also add points in one dollar increments.

Powerpoints also rollover from month to month if they go unused.

The pamphlet also states that PowerPlay members get additional discounts on previously viewed movies & games, snacks, and concessions.

I mean I guess it's a good deal, but...Netflix is $15 for 1 at a time unlimited plus streaming unlimited. Then there is GameFly. I would do GF/Netflix over this deal personally since my local HWV isn't that nice. If they started that online that would be cool.

For me it's the streaming that kills this deal... That and no Hollywood near me. But cool info in case I want to rent unlimited games.

[quote name='LegolasFett']I mean I guess it's a good deal, but...Netflix is $15 for 1 at a time unlimited plus streaming unlimited. Then there is GameFly. I would do GF/Netflix over this deal personally since my local HWV isn't that nice. If they started that online that would be cool.[/quote]

QFF (Quoted For Fett). $40 is too much when compared with the home access of Netflix and Gamefly... $23 + $15 and better selection (at least compared to my local HWVideo).

Jer votes Nay.

I'm with ya, it's not for everyone. My local HWV likes to take good care of any of the monthly subscription customers. The biggest advantage of the plan to me would be the convenience of being able to pick up your movies/games right away, but that isn't that big of a deal any more now that a lot the online rental services can get your items to you in 1-2 days.

NEVER MIND READ TOO FAST

still though take 40 per month.
Diamond $39.99 -- Unlimited powerpoints, 3 items out at a time (2 game max), no due dates on games & movies.

say 1 movie and 2 games every 5 days x 6

SO

6 new release movies + 10 games for 40 bucks each being a 5 day rental...

break it down more 2 days

15 movies (2 day keeping each) + 12 games (5 days each) for 40

30 Movies (1 day rental) + 12 games (5 day rental) now that is a good deal.... Break the movies down to a buck each

Meaning your renting the games for 5 days for a under a buck

netflix and blockbuster throttles the hell out of you.

so if you got a hollywood video close to you this is a VERY GOOD DEAL

Even movies alone if you lived close would be nice 90 movies for 40 per month ... Less then 50 cents per rental

This may work for them. Mine has a lot of stuff for rent, but when and if this takes off it will deplete their stock some more.

I bet they will also want this on a auto renewing credit card or some such thing.

Right now I use R1G1 on most things and my discover rewards for the HWV rentals.

[quote name='slidecage']Platinum $24.99 -- 25 monthly powerpoints, 3 items out at a time, no due dates on movies, 5 day rentals on games

so 15 bucks per months for 6 movies and 6 games each item 5 day rental is one hell of a deal if you ask me..

personally price seems too low to be true[/quote]

Games = 5 points, no? I read it as $25 gets you a total of 5 games (25 total rental days). Did I misread? Do you get 25 game points and 25 movie points?

I already got like a movie plan with Hollywood. Similar to that Gold plan but unlimited movie rentals though no games or Blu-Ray. Would suck if they force us to use this because we would go there like twice a week since its only about four blocks away. That's like 48 points a month, then again we practically watched everything already.

[quote name='joby27']What does the powerpoints do?[/quote]

Read the OP more carefully, its how many points you have to spend on getting games and movies for that month.

Too expensive for what is being offered... For the $39.99 plan, they are basically offering the same thing as a Netflix + Gamefly combination (if you primarily rent games). That's currently the combination I'm using and it is only costing about $27 per month (bought 12 month Gamefly subscription at a discount around the holidays).

With Netflix, you get unlimited instant streaming over the web and your Xbox 360, a huge advantage. With Gamefly, you have the option to keep games (at a discounted rate, based on how long you've been a member), and they also give you a $5 coupon every few months. It's a no-brainer for me.

The only way I could see this being worth it would be if somebody lived REALLY close to a Hollywood Video and was blowing through a ton of movies and games every month. Most people aren't going to flip games and movies fast enough to do that (if the guy that suggested renting 90 movies per month actually has time to watch 90 movies per month AND visit Hollywood Video EVERY day, may god have mercy on his soul...lol).

By the way, how the heck are you guys paying ~$15 per month for Netflix with only 1 movie out at a time? I'm paying $8.99 / month for that, so you must be getting ripped off :)

Not too impressed, especially since I here Redbox is Beta testing Gaming Kiosks right now. Also as others stated netflix and gamefly are cheaper. Hollywood is doing want all rental chains do and that is charge you more for the convenience of having it at a B&M store. I'm always willing to wait for a good price. This plan blows IMHO.

[quote name='LegolasFett']I mean I guess it's a good deal, but...Netflix is $15 for 1 at a time unlimited plus streaming unlimited. Then there is GameFly. I would do GF/Netflix over this deal personally since my local HWV isn't that nice. If they started that online that would be cool.[/quote]

I am on the 1-a-month unlimited plan for netflix and it is $8.99 a month.

Because of the 12 free game rental coupon sheets that are given out at Game Crazy for system purchases, HWV never has any good games for rent. Also whoever decides what and how many copies of games to get is an idiot. 6 copies of Golden Axe and 1 copy of Mirror's Edge, I mean come on...

Nah, I'll pass. The girlfriend would kill me if I got rid of the streaming Netflix. Plus I like buying games from Gamefly and getting all the goodies in mint condition and at a discounted price.

2 game plan a month at gamefly for me= 16

3 Blu-Ray plan at Netflix plus unlimited streaming = 16

I get a total of 5 things out at time, with unlimited returns per month for about 32 dollars.

Hollywood charges 8 dollars more with a 2 item less limit.

LAME.

[quote name='LordVila']You also get 50% off preplayed movies and I believe 10% off of used games.[/quote]

Sadly that discount won't stack with the other previously viewed deals that HWV runs all the time. So it'll only save you a little bit more sometimes. Although it'll benefit those who are just wanting to buy one movie, as most of the deals are for 3-4 movies typically.

[quote name='emeraldgsl']Good deal if you live next door to HWV and don't work or something. I'll stick to my Netflix.[/quote]

Yeah if you had nothing but time you could kill with this deal...

I'll stick to netflix and buying games on the cheap.

While the deal I posted may be weak, I've learned something! As soon as I quit Hollywood Video (lose free rentals) after finishing up school, I'm gonna start a Netflix & Gamefly combo! I had no idea Netflix and Gamefly were that cheap, I've had free rentals at Hollywood video for 2-3 years now so I've been out of the loop on online rental services.

yeah but with gamefly you gotta wait for a game to get mailed to them and back to you right? so with this you constantly have games and movies

[quote name='pimpster4183']yeah but with gamefly you gotta wait for a game to get mailed to them and back to you right? so with this you constantly have games and movies[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! About time someone made that point. I've had Gamefly for probably five months at least and if I get a game within 3 days after mailing one I'm lucky.

This is why I go with the Blockbuster Gamer's Pass, 25 bucks a month for unlimited rentals. My Blockbuster is like five blocks away, there's nothing like trying six different games in a day lol.

Let's see, HWV charges 4.29 a movie for 5 day's. If i rent 1 movie a week for 1 month that's a total of 17.16 for the 4 movies. I am saving 10.17 a month for renting the 4 movies if i go with the silver plan for 7.99 a month. Is'nt that a great deal? That's like 2.00 dollars a movie.Am i wrong?

[quote name='klingon666']Let's see, HWV charges 4.29 a movie for 5 day's. If i rent 1 movie a week for 1 month that's a total of 17.16 for the 4 movies. I am saving 10.17 a month for renting the 4 movies if i go with the silver plan for 7.99 a month. Is'nt that a great deal? That's like 2.00 dollars a movie.Am i wrong?[/quote]

Yes, you're wrong.

New Releases are 3 twatpoints each, you only get 8 total each month. Unless you really feel the need to rent something that's at least 1 year old, you'll only be getting 2 new movies per month + 1 crusty movie.

So far the ONLY redeeming factor to this whole thing is the fact that the twatpoints roll over to the next month.

[quote name='freshzen']Because of the 12 free game rental coupon sheets that are given out at Game Crazy for system purchases, HWV never has any good games for rent. Also whoever decides what and how many copies of games to get is an idiot. 6 copies of Golden Axe and 1 copy of Mirror's Edge, I mean come on...[/quote]

Was just about to point that out. Same thing with BBV. You damn well know which games are going to be rented out for a long time after the release so why not spend more resources on those games....Would probably make more money doing that too.

Thank god for Gamefly. Though I'm a little bummed because I bought the new star ocean game right when it came out and now I find it's about ~$9 cheaper on Gamefly....Coupled with FS (only downer is tax) and it would still be a deal.

I have a really close Hollywood Video that has a -great- selection of games, and an EXCELLENT used game section when that $4 preowned games deal was going on.

My parents are already doing some sort of unlimited monthly movie Hollywood video plan...so I'd be willing to chip in the extra cash to upgrade them to this.

[quote name='pimpster4183']yeah but with gamefly you gotta wait for a game to get mailed to them and back to you right? so with this you constantly have games and movies[/quote]

But if you live even remotely near a distribution center then turnaround should usually only last a day.

So one day to and one day back. Plus, think about the gas you save. Even those minuscule details are note worthy. Such as saving that 1 mile round trip in your car and using it to sit on your ass.

If I were really near a Hollywood Video, I might split this three ways with the roommates, but the one close to me closed down.

This is in place of the MVP program, btw. No more MVP program for rentals, only the PowerPlay. There are a lot of pissed off customers about the MVP program ending.

[quote name='Scorch']This is in place of the MVP program, btw. No more MVP program for rentals, only the PowerPlay. There are a lot of pissed off customers about the MVP program ending.[/quote]

They need to suck it up. Nothing lasts forever.

[quote name='iRent']They need to suck it up. Nothing lasts forever.[/quote]

In all fairness, there's really no warning for them. They try to rent something and it's like "Oh, sorry, we don't do the MVP program anymore."

eh, this doesn't sound that great. the plans sound worthless unless you go for diamond, and $40 a month sounds pretty steep imo. you must need a lot of free time to make this worth keeping every month.

[quote name='Scorch']In all fairness, there's really no warning for them. They try to rent something and it's like "Oh, sorry, we don't do the MVP program anymore."[/quote]

Meh, they could have pulled shady-er business practices on their customers...

Plus, there are better services out there now anyway right?

I think Hollywood video is going to bite the dust sometime soon. There used to be 2 I used to go to in the valley but they both closed down. I tried calling 4 or 5 stores in my area and half of them have disconnected phone numbers. It really sucks because we need more stores like this just for competitions' sake.

I received a pamphlet from one of the HW guys on this a few months back. Is this any different? Also, I currently have a $19.99/month plan with HW (VIP or something?) that lets me have out any game (1 at a time) with no due dates. Seems like a better deal to go with the latter.

bread's done
Back