Official Best Buy YMMV Thread. Post all BB YMMV Clearances here.

bg2001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Post All Best Buy YMMV Deals Here.

[quote name='SDC']I work in a Best Buy, perhaps I can help.

Clearances at Best Buy are on a store-by-store basis. What doesn't sell in that particular store may eventually be put on clearance, but it is pretty YMMV. It isn't at all a chain-wide thing like Target.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully this will clear up the clutter with all these people posting individual Best Buy YMMV threads.

Also, Best Buy will sometimes put items on a store-wide clearance (it will be in the system as a clearance item and ring up for the correct clearance price at the register, not requiring an override) but each store may have a different price on the item. A good example of this was Ninja Reflex for the Wii which stores had varying in price from $5.99 to $17.99.

OP- I responded to your other thread requesting someone make an official BB thread before I saw this thread. Hopefully, other CAGs actually post their YMMV BB deals here instead of making a new thread. I doubt it will happen but it's worth a try.

Atleast, when someone does start another thread, we can direct them to this one.

Thanks.

Found it on clearance today for 50.49 (instruments are PS3 compatible). Picked up a used PS3 copy of the game for 12.99 @ Gamestop (weekly used deal) as well so total before tax was 63.48. Not too shabby.

Nice idea but someone needs to maintain a post with all the deals listed like the clearance threads, otherwise, it would just be a mess.

[quote name='mitch079']Nice idea but someone needs to maintain a post with all the deals listed like the clearance threads, otherwise, it would just be a mess.[/quote]

I agree completely. If OP can update the first post every so often it would work out great.

[quote name='dave07']I agree completely. If OP can update the first post every so often it would work out great.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Best Buy clearances are usually done on a store by store basis. It would be way too much work to have the OP updated with the clearances going on at individual Best Buys across the country.

Now if he wants to update the OP with those items that are on the nationwide clearance schedule, then that would make sense. The only problem with that is it may be hard to tell which ones are individual store clearances and which ones are nationwide clearance items when they are posted.

I would suggest following the Wal-Mart YMMV thread as an example of how this thread should be done.

[quote name='mitch079']Nice idea but someone needs to maintain a post with all the deals listed like the clearance threads, otherwise, it would just be a mess.
i.gif
[/quote]

I'm betting just a mess :p

Saint

I believe this has already been posted somewhere, like on page 3, in the sunday ad deal but it isn't easy enought to find so I think it should be stickied or have its own thread.

Basically we all know TRU has their ad where you buy the game on Friday or Saturday only (can pre-order it and get the same deal) and get a $20 gift card. To those loyal to TRU, great.

To the CAGers who are on a budget and in college, goto Best Buy and their price matching policy just deducts the gift card from the actual purchase price so it comes out to around $40. Not sure if they do the additonal 10% off or not with this tho.
Here is their policy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?...type=page&entryURLID=&contentId=1118843518460

can just print it off as proof, as the CSA I talked to tried to hook me up w/ a giftcard too, but the manager was okay with adjusting the price after I showed them this.. however they wouldn't let me pay in full (the $40 price) until friday so I just did a preorder to insure they wouldn't run out and my evil plan would be foiled...

Normally I would say this is not a deal cause price matches are common knowledge, but I didnt know Best Buy had a rule specifically on price matching gift cards. I might have to do this as I dont care about a gift card at Toys R Us.

You know, I've tried matching gift card deals in the past at differnt best buys and, I've always been told that they cannot match them because they are "bundle" deals. Good find on the rules page OP, now I can print it out as proof!

[quote name='thepik241']Is there a scan of the Toys R Us Ad available?[/quote]

+$1.50 for an ad from the sunday paper.. or you can try a college campus they sometimes have free newspapers there.. or neighbor lol..

While this works most of the time, I would still mark this thread as YMMV. I have been shot down in flames at two separate BBs here in Phoenix, when Toys R Us has had these similar deals in the past. It's pretty much up to the discretion of who is managing the store.

Actually, this might not work:

How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?
The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer.

So basically its saying if the gift card and the game is less than what Best Buy is selling, they'll price match. Game + Gift card = $60. I dont think this will work.

It worked for me, when I showed the Pricematch FAQ to CSR and I scored on QoS PS3 Game for $45 after $15 off Giftcard as a pricematch.

They did this for me with Killzone 2, which was pretty nice. They were kinda hesitant about it though.

As a former BBY employee I didn't even know this was a policy. Pretty sweet. Sounds like I'm marching into Best Buy on Friday with an ad and copy of the policy to guarantee a price match.

The BB in Annapolis MD is 3 minutes from the TRU, I'll hit up BB and if they don't give me the deal I'll just settle for TRU gift card. Rather have the cash off though.

Here's Best Buy's policy for those too lazy to click:

How do you handle a price match if the Best Buy price includes a promotional offer such as a free gift card or rebate?
The Best Buy net purchase price is calculated by deducting the value of all instant and mail-in discounts such as rebates, free offers and promotional gift cards. Existing rebates and free offers associated with a product purchased at Best Buy will not apply if a price match is executed.

...So this should work. How would we get the TRU ad to get them to price match it though? Is it in the Sunday ads from today?

Even though it is in print at the BB website, it will be tough for me to actually find someone in-store to
1. Know the policy and
2. Willing to honor the price match.

Even if you can argue with them about their policy, it's still very YMVV. Many will get turned down just because they can. Don't really think this deserves its own thread on the front page, but I'm not a mod.

i'm going to be maintaining it - asking cheapyd for permissions needed to merge threads into this one. the op will be updated with basic summaries of the deals.

[quote name='dragonjud']Even if you can argue with them about their policy, it's still very YMVV. Many will get turned down just because they can. Don't really think this deserves its own thread on the front page, but I'm not a mod.[/quote]

Agree with this 100%. Over the summer I bought the MGS4 bundle from BB, and tried to get them to match the local Wal-Mart promotion of $100 gift card with any blu-ray player. They claimed they wouldn't match it because they were out of stock at the time I tried to buy.

Of course they weren't, I called Wal-Mart while wandering around BB and they said they were still in stock, the douchebag manager just didn't want to price match.

fuck these B&M stores, their interaction with customers fucking sucks.

Just to add my 2 cents, this is SUPER YMMV and shouldn't be its own thread. This is one of those things that if you're lucky and get a cool/clueless CSR you MIGHT get but almost all BB PMs with a gift card end in "no".

Very YMMV, incredibly misleading title and not a deal. Merge this with the weekly game deal thread so nobody gets their hopes up.

By the way if someone comes in with a print out of the PMing policy, that's enough to make you get declined right there in terms of looking like you know it all, since ultimately they have to decide to PM you or not based on how they feel.

Edit: Besides, that 20 dollar GC from TRU can't be applied to the game purchase, so you getting RE5 for 40 at BB is pretty much a very lucky score.

[quote name='dg7md']Very YMMV, incredibly misleading title and not a deal. Merge this with the weekly game deal thread so nobody gets their hopes up.

By the way if someone comes in with a print out of the PMing policy, that's enough to make you get declined right there in terms of looking like you know it all, since ultimately they have to decide to PM you or not based on how they feel.[/quote]

Printing out the policy from their own website takes away from your credibility?

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Printing out the policy from their own website takes away from your credibility?[/quote]

Not exactly, but I mean showing that in addition to trying to use the PM policy with this gift card deal to get 20 off a game seems suspicious. If I were handling that ordeal I would wonder if it's someone trying to manipulate a loophole more than actually trying to follow a system, since the game isn't even on sale at either store (both list it as MSRP) and the gift card is a bonus attached to the sale and not a deduct in the game's price.

[quote name='dg7md']By the way if someone comes in with a print out of the PMing policy, that's enough to make you get declined right there in terms of looking like you know it all, since ultimately they have to decide to PM you or not based on how they feel.

Edit: Besides, that 20 dollar GC from TRU can't be applied to the game purchase, so you getting RE5 for 40 at BB is pretty much a very lucky score.[/quote]

Your logic seems rather flawed. Why would having a print out of THEIR VERY OWN POLICY make you likely to be instantly declined? Somehow knowing their store policy is going to make them dismiss you as a know it all? How does anyone get a PM at BB at all then since they must seem like a know it all by even being conscious of the PM option in the first place?

In regards to the last point, when can ANY gift card be applied to the purchase you are getting the gift card with? If it was instantly applied, by definition it wouldn't be a gift card but an instant savings. Their policy online specifically mentions gift cards.

This might be YMMV but I don't see why it should be as their website explicitly states that gift card values will be factored into any price match.

[quote name='Moravagine']This might be YMMV but I don't see why it should be as their website explicitly states that gift card values will be factored into any price match.[/quote]

The one thing that makes me think this whole idea isn't going to work out for many people is this line:

The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer.

From the sounds of it, it would appear that BB would also need to be including an instant gift card for a purchase, which in this case is not being offered.

[quote name='dragonjud']Even if you can argue with them about their policy, it's still very YMVV. Many will get turned down just because they can. Don't really think this deserves its own thread on the front page, but I'm not a mod.[/quote]

Its the damn truth too. I was told that they won't PM the Spore Wars for $9.99 since its below MSRP. I asked him to repeat that (since it was the manager) and said isnt that why I need to get it PM'ed. He just said nope its below MSRP, I said fuck this BS since I am pretty sure he meant cost not MRSP. Still a fucking tool

I think I saw it mentioned already but it wasn't clear.

You can't PM this deal. Well according to BB policy.

Why?
The price before the promotional offer is the same as BB. If TRU was selling RE5 for $59.98 + $20 gift card then BB would honor the deal. Since they are initially the same price ($59.99) before the offer BB will not match it. Yes it sounds silly but that's the way BB is.

Also if you ever get by with something at a BB store save your receipt. Almost every manager will override policy if you have proof its been done for you in the past (even if it's a completely different store).

[quote name='donut']for goodness sakes this is now the umpteenth thread with this info ... mods please close ...[/quote]
get over it.. i didn't see this until now. there is nothing wrong with repeated info as long as the info is GOOD and not some crappy thing. That's why so many people are talking in this thread jeesh...

[quote name='180husher']If they don't match, which they won't for 99% of us, we can always go over to Circuit City and match it there![/quote]

Haha .... bad joke.

bread's done
Back