Super Smash Gimmick: Back to Training (Week 6 Forever: Suko vs. Arikado vs. Evergoo)

evergoo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
March 9, 2008 - The launch date of Wii's only breathing online multiplayer game. No, we're not referring to Rubber Band Kart Wii. We're talking about Super Smash Bros. Brawl! In celebration of Brawl's one-year anniversary, hero101 and evergoo have decided to revive CAG's interest by introducing to everyone our 5th Smash tournament called...
SUPER SMASH GIMMICK: BACK TO TRAINING

TouneyLogoFinFin.png

As the title states, this tournament will be very gimmicky...so gimmicky that you will probably wonder why the number 3 keeps reappearing!

General Rules
  • 3 player free-for-alls
  • 3 stock, no items, best-of-3 rounds
  • Each player bans 3 characters from their opponent's playable roster (Player A bans 3 characters from Player B, Player B bans 3 from Player C, & Player C bans 3 from Player A)
  • Each player must pick a new character for each of the 3 rounds. No repeat characters.
  • Each player selects a stage: Player A gets round 1, Player B round 2, Player C round 3.
  • Every stage is acceptable except for the following 6 (a multiple of 3 :p):
    • 75 m
    • New Pork City
    • Rumble Falls
    • Mushroomy Kingdom
    • Mute City
    • Hyrule Temple
Season Rules
  • Weekly deadline for matches will end on Sunday, 11:59 pm pst.
  • 3-game season
  • 3 divisions
  • Score will not be tallied by wins or losses but by round placements. 1st Place = 3 pts, 2nd Place = 2 pts, 3rd Place = 1 pt.
  • At the end of the season, top 3 in each division qualify for the post-season tournament
  • After each matchup, please immediately PM the results to hero101 using the following example format:
    @ Hanenbow, hero101 (Captain Falcon) d. evergoo (Jigglypuff) d. JoeB1233 (Ganondorf)
    @ Green Greens, JoeB1233 (Ice Climbers) d. hero101 (King Dedede) d. evergoo (Marth)
    @ The Summit, evergoo (Pit) d. JoeB1233 (Snake) d. hero101 (Yoshi)

evergoo's Ban: R.O.B., Snake, Diddy
    Hero's Ban: Pit, Olimar, Luigi
    Joe's Ban: Yoshi, King Dedede, Ness

Postseason Rules
  • 5 rounds total, same scoring system, 5th round is not tallied into final scores.
  • First 3 rounds involve bans (regular season rules).
  • 4th round, choose character of your choice. No character bans. Division leader chooses stage.
  • 5th round, forced character selection. Player A chooses Player B's character, Player B chooses Player C's, and Player C chooses Player A's. Stage doesn't matter.

Lastly, please remember that this is a super gimmicky tournament. That means let's not get our panties in a bunch whether we win or lose. Let's just have fun! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Registered Players/Friend Codes
    • evergoo/Marc (4425-1135-4604)
    • hero101/Hero (2750-1016-6892)
    • dastly75/Dast (0817-3423-2214)
    • Rig/Rig (2621-2267-1653)
    • BlueLobstah/blue (4897-5594-5432)
    • Daisydog/Janet (0473-7480-5534)
    • Arikado/KADO (0559-6429-7048)
    • ChibiJosh/Josh (5069-3583-0247)
    • zerowing/PAUL (0860-2941-1088)
    • Rocky435/Rocky (0216-0452-5523)
    • Foo228/Foo (0860-2941-4678)
    • wjhard63/JAMES (3136-6281-5114)
    • danjris/DANGR (3952-6723-8500)
    • Gden/Gden (4554-5668-4458)
    • Jack/Jack (0387-8592-8999)
    • foltzie/Foltz (1418-6899-8373)
    • JoeB1223/JoeB (3909-7175-1835)
    • dyeknom/Mnkyd (0774-3909-7377)
    • Strell/Strell (1032-0903-4842)
    • suko_32/suko (0344-8943-3834)
    • Mad D/David (5370-0158-3393)
    • steven21/STEVN (1977-1437-1347)
    • FallMoon/Sammy (2750-0760-0334)
    • sippycupz/Shane (0087-2013-0689)
    • yukine/yukin (3952-6704-5494)

Last edited by a moderator:
SMASH HEADLINES

First off, I would like to thank everyone for participating this season! :applause: I know the season was much shorter and more laxed, but I hope everyone had a good time and picked up on some new mains (I know I have). I want to especially thank the regulars who have joined CAG's numerous Smash tournaments. Without you, we wouldn't have a scene one year later. Last but not least, thank you Hero for taking care of the results and for your thoughtful input on various matters.

All these reflective comments, however, doesn't mean the season tournament is over. We still have postseason! Now that I have all that mushy stuff out of the way, let's get down to business on our 3-way triangle love affair between the Super Scopes, Virtual Boys, and E-Readers.

But before we begin, Hero and I would like to incorporate some new rules into the tournament to spice things up. We hope everyone has a kick out of it. :lol:

Postseason Rules
  • 5 rounds total, same scoring system, 5th round is not tallied into final scores.
  • First 3 rounds involve bans (regular season rules).
  • 4th round, choose character of your choice. No character bans. Division leader chooses stage.
  • 5th round, forced character selection. Player A chooses Player B's character, Player B chooses Player C's, and Player C chooses Player A's. Stage doesn't matter.

TOP 3 GAMES OF THE WEEK PREVIEW

Super Scope Championship: Undetermined The frontrunners are hero101, Rig, and suko_32. Foo228 and dyeknom still have a slim shot of making it further. The other divisions have fancy subtitles. What should this division's subtitle be called? Hero Suks Rig's? ;)

Virtual Boy Championship: Joe's Mad Goo!!! Because of Mr. 86420, the winners of the 2nd doubles tournament will finally face off as a triplet and show SHOW US YOUR MOVES why we're the better team. Goodbye Yoshi eggs, R.O.B. lasers, and Kirby swords. That still doesn't mean no
:spam:
though. Viewers should expect some lengthy games in this matchup of percentage building.

E-Reader Championship: Texas Showdown Texas, the state known for guns, hot weather, and Bush. Evergoo has given up his chance for a rematch and let these 3 Texans duke it out in a Wild West shootout. Make sure to use guns please and don't forget to incorporate some Texas taunts for your audience. :twoguns:

WEEK 4
As the title states, those who have stood up or delayed their matches will now have a week for makeup sex. Hopefully, your opponents forgive you with your awesome performance in bed. ;)

Anyways, expect a lengthy update in Hero's post regarding stats and the postseason contestants. In the meantime, have a fine and relaxing week. :D

WEEK 3
Week 3 is shaping up to be full of surprises. FallMoon's Wii breaks down
because Yukine rigged it so he could return to the tourney
. Yukine returns
and destroys FallMoon's hard work
. Hero has a perfect record
by cheating or tourney host law is coming into play
. Strell receives a Mad D sig
finally...after Mad D overcame several 86420 error while posting on CAG
. It's fun
playing with spoilers :bouncy:

Just an early announcement but Week 4 will be dedicated to make-up matches. No tournament matches will be held until Week 5 (Round of 9: Division Championships) and Week 6 (Round of 3: Grand Finals).

3. hero101, Mad D, steven21: Two undefeateds yet someone must tarnish their record. Will Hero have a flawless season or will Mad D disrupt perfection even after a one week bye? The two should also beware of steven32 since he's done fairly okay this season.

2. ZeroWing, Strell, Daisydog: This week's decision for #1 and #2 Games of the Week was a very close call. Strell and Daisydog are fighting for the top spots within their division while ZeroWing hopes to crack the top 3 within his. How will the others fair knowing that Strell is the master of 86420 mind games?

1. suko_32, dyeknom, Rig: The #1 game this week goes to a very high-stakes division match. Rig and suko_32 are in the top 3 of their division while dyeknom is trying to squeeze himself back into the picture. If any hope to clinch a spot in their division, it is crucial for each to do well in all three matches.​

WEEK 2
Before we get giddy about Week 2, let's recap what happened last week. Hero101, evergoo, Mad D, and suko_32 were the only ones to come out with flawless victories by winning all their matches. Meanwhile, last week's Sandbags were no other than foltzie (no surprise) and Foo228. Perhaps Yukine should come back at season's end to defend his title? :whistle2:k

As Hero mentioned, we should also expect detailed stats coming soon like Most Banned Characters and Most Used Characters. Why? Because I'm his Cruel Taskmaster. :evil:

3. suko_32, JoeB1223, danjris: Suko and Joe are at it again. This time, no penguins. Who shall win the Spam Wars? Will it be the Mr. Resetti champion, the Tourney Rule Breaker
no 3 Marios. Mix it up!
, or Non-Dangris? We shall see.

2. FallMoon, Jack, Mad D: Three of CAG's Top 15. Expect some cautious playing between the three as each of them are fighting for a Top 3 spot in their division. Getting 3rd place in any of these matches will surely hurt their score.

1. evergoo, Arikado, Daisydog: This is the highest ranked triple threat match of the season...and it will be recorded. Get your popcorn and bets ready as these 3 heavyweights duke it out for free-for-all supremacy. All 3 are also in the same division which intensifies the stakes.​

WEEK 1
Welcome all to the wonderful world of CAG Smash! This week is preseason week and we hope all of you are shaking off your frequent suicides and spacing errors with your mains in preparation for the new season. Before we dip into Week 1's matches, let's take a look at the divisions...

DIVISION PREVIEW

SUPER SCOPE: This division is going to be a very close one since many of its players are of comparable skills (dyeknom, Rig, zerowing, hero101). The favorite of the bunch, and maybe this tournament, is definitely suko_32 since one cannot ban all of his mains. Foo228 did fairly well last season, Gden is the newcomer, and foltzie...well he's foltzie.

VIRTUAL BOY DIVISION: JoeB1223 and maigoyume have done extremely well in past CAG tournaments but will their online rust hurt them? They will also have to deal with BlueLobstah, Strell, and Mad D: all of whom are highly formidable opponents. Rounding out the cast, and hopefully not lost in the shuffle, are dastly75, wjhard63, and ChibiJosh. This is the only division where every player has had previous CAG Smash tourney experience.

E-READER DIVISION: This division is simply tough. The top 3 from the CAG vs Smogon tourney can all be found in one division: FallMoon, Arikado, and evergoo. In addition, Jack and Daisydog are very intelligent players and Rig's friends, steven21 and danjris, are competent fighters as well. Rocky435 is the only wild card in this division.

3. foltzie, suko_32, zerowing: The Sandbag, the No Main, and the Smogon. Three very different players meet up but who shall prevail? Will foltzie change the outcome of the match or will suko_32 and zerowing duke it out after knocking out silly?

2. Rig, BlueLobstah, Jack: One of the closest matches of the season, these CAG veterans should know each other's mains by heart. Expect some good character bans along with unpredictable endings!

1. FallMoon, Arikado, steven21: CAG's #1 and #2 kick the season off with a bang! Between these two heavyweights and Steven21, Rig's friend and a formidable opponent, the outcome of the matches will depend greatly on skill and intelligence.​

SMASH DIVISIONS

SUPER SCOPE DIVISION
foltzie, Gden, Foo228, suko_32, dyeknom, Rig, zerowing, hero101

VIRTUAL BOY DIVISION
sippycupz, wjhard63, dastly75, JoeB1223, ChibiJosh, BlueLobstah, Strell, Mad D

E-READER DIVISION
Rocky435, FallMoon/yukine, evergoo, danjris, Arikado, Jack, Daisydog, steven21

SMASH SCHEDULES
(Player A bans Player B, Player B bans Player C, Player C bans Player A)
(Stage Selection: Player A round 1, Player B round 2, Player C round 3)
(1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place)

WEEK 1
foltzie, suko_32, zerowing
Gden, dyeknom, hero101
sippycupz, JoeB1223, Strell
wjhard63, ChibiJosh, Mad D
Rocky435, danjris, Daisydog
FallMoon, Arikado, steven21
Foo228, dastly75, evergoo
Rig, BlueLobstah, Jack

WEEK 2
Foo228, dyeknom, zerowing
Gden, Rig, steven21
dastly75, ChibiJosh, Strell
wjhard63, BlueLobstah, hero101
evergoo, Arikado, Daisydog
yukine, Jack, Mad D
foltzie, sippycupz, Rocky435
suko_32, JoeB1223, danjris

WEEK 3
foltzie, Gden, Foo228
suko_32, dyeknom, Rig
sippycupz, wjhard63, dastly75
JoeB1223, ChibiJosh, BlueLobstah
Rocky435, yukine, evergoo
danjris, Arikado, Jack
zerowing, Strell, Daisydog
hero101, Mad D, steven21

WEEK 4
Makeup your matches here.

WEEK 5
Super Scope Championship
hero101, Rig, suko_32

Virtual Boy Championship
Mad D, JoeB1223, evergoo

E-Reader Championship
Strell, Daisydog, Arikado

WEEK 6
Winners of Super Scope, Virtual Boy, E-Reader​

SMASH Q & A

1. Are there any requirements to joining?

You must own the game and know how to tap buttons. Oh yeah, no flakers please. The season is only 3 games long!

2. Why the infatuation with the number 3?
Some time after the exhausting 1st CAG SSBB Season, I was interested in a tourney involving 3 players. We've done singles, doubles, but never free-for-alls competitively. Since I was interested in this idea, I thought I could take it one step further by making everything 3s. By the way, my favorite number is not 3 but 8. :p

3. What's the point of banning characters and changing characters every round?
Short answer: to freshen up things.
Long answer: 1) give others hope that they can beat certain opponents; 2) remove staleness of matches; and 3) motivate players to explore new characters.

4. Why must we PM Hero our results versus posting them in the message board?
Anyone who has ever hosted a CAG Smash tourney knows that it is quite tedious to weed through several posts for results. We highly recommend you still post the results in this thread...just make sure Hero gets it, too.

5. What's up with the title for this tourney?
Gimmick Tournament + Training New Characters = Super Smash Gimmick: Back to Training. Hero wanted Super Smash Gimmick: Back to Training - Quest for the Magical Panties but I said no because we are not searching for panties in this Smash season...that's only in camera mode. ;)

6. Who did the ridiculously awesome logo?
All credits for the Smash character artwork goes to our very own Mad D. The Brawl snapshots were taken from brawlsnapshots.com, The nude muscular man was whipped up by Strell, and the Photoshop effort was done by me.

7. But I don't know who to ban for Player so-and-so! Dear oh dear, what shall I do?!
Ask any of the CAGs on this forum. We know how to gimp one another. Also, only one designated player may ban another player's characters (e.g. Player A must ban Player B and cannot do so for Player C). It would be wise to make sure that certain players do not get a chance to play their mains. Otherwise, you're in deep trouble.

8. How and when should I contact my opponents?
Via PM would be a good option. Please make sure to send out a PM to both your opponents as soon as possible in order to meet the weekly deadline. In your PM, make sure to mention the following 3 items: 1) your availability including days and times (time zone); 2) which characters will be banned for your specified opponent; and 3) your stage selection.

9. Do Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda/Shiek count as 1 or multiple character bans?
Each group of sub-characters counts as 1 character ban. So if you ban Zelda, you also ban Shiek.

Week # 3 Results:

SUPER SCOPE DIVISION
Hero101 24 (9, 9, 6)
Rig 17 (8, 9, n/a)
Suko 16 (9, 7, n/a)
Foltzie 13 (3, 7, 3)
Gden 13 (4, 3, 6)
* Foo228 12 (3, n/a, 9)
* ZeroWing 9 (6, n/a, 3 )
* Dyeknom 5 (5, n/a, n/a)
Note: Zerowing/Dyeknom/Foo228 didn't do their week #2 matches yet.
Note: Rig/Suko/Dyeknom didn't do their week # 3 matches.

VIRTUAL BOY DIVISION
Mad D 24 (9, 8, 7)
JoeB1223 23 (7, 8, 8)
Strell 23 (6, 9, 8)
Sippycupz 19 (5, 8, 6)
Dastly75 19 (6, 5, 8)
Bluelobstah 16 (4, 6, 6)
wjhard63 12 (5, 3, 4)
Chibijosh 12 (4, 4, 4)

E-READER DIVISION
Evergoo 23 (9, 5, 9)
Daisydog 22 (8, 7, 7)
Arikado 21 (6, 6, 9)
Jack 18 (6, 7, 5)
Fallmoon/Yunkie 16 (8, 3, 5)
Steven21 15 (4, 6, 5)
Rocky435 13 (6, 3, 4)
Danjris 11 (4, 3, 4)

Week #1: Most Used Character: Pikachu X 6
Week # 1: Most Banned Character: Pikachu X 8

Week # 2: Most Used Characters: Lucas X 6
Week #2: Most Banned Character: Pikachu X 9

Week # 3: Most Used Character: Lucas X 7
Week # 3: Most Banned Character: Rob X 8

Coin Battle

edit: Ok coin battle next time

[quote name='evergoo']my favorite number is not 3 but 8. :p
[/QUOTE]

:lol:

The number 23 is appearing everywhere in my life...

No, but really, how can this be a tournament if it involves only 3 people?!?!

I'd join in , but at the moment it appears that my wii's power brick/wall wart is dead. So until I can get another (or figure out what's really wrong with the thing) I can't play my wii. :(

Just so everyone knows: I use Snake, Rob & Diddy. Feel free to ban those characters from my roster. :cool: Crap, my secret is out in the OP. :whistle2:# Darn you Goo...:bomb:

[quote name='hero101']We're still missing one more Mad D sig.[/QUOTE]

shhhh, Yunkie's is almost done. I just keep forgetting to not slack off.

I guess since I was PM'd, I'll join up.
Just to warn you though, I'll be out of town and without Wii access for the 19th and 20th.

I love the idea (and appreciate the PM), but senior design is kicking my ass right now.

A few more months, and I'll have that degree...and, hopefully, more time for games. :)

[quote name='rocky435']I'll join in and see how far i can last.. Hopefully past the first round..[/QUOTE]

It's a 3-game season...unless you're gonna FLAKE! :nottalking:

Rocky, what's your FC by the way?

GGs Hero and Daisy. After today's performance, I better find a 4th, 5th, and 6th main quick otherwise I'm in dip shit. #-o

[quote name='Foo228']Count me
in.
[/QUOTE]

You're
doing
it
wrong
!
:bouncy:

I like that this will be short, but I've also been interested in a "quick" tournament. i.e. Someone sets up a chatroom for a specific date & time, and whoever shows up is in the tournament. I think that would help solve some of the long term issues. You could have several successive tournaments over a series of weekends.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I like that this will be short, but I've also been interested in a "quick" tournament. i.e. Someone sets up a chatroom for a specific date & time, and whoever shows up is in the tournament. I think that would help solve some of the long term issues. You could have several successive tournaments over a series of weekends.[/QUOTE]

Blue hosts future tournaments confirmed. :applause:

Woot, got my invite.

I'll join, my friend code is in the FC thread. Also, can you please make sure to have this on a different date than the SFIV tournament. Which will be on March 18/19 for PS3 owners and 25/26 for 360.

[quote name='Mad D']How to ban characters for new people?[/quote]
dunno...you just randomly guess...I think we should just enter a chatroom one day and everyone could just practice. Then we will know what characters they're good at.

Okay, yet again, I'll try to be in a tournament (tried before and couldn't join for too many ppl in tourney) My FC is 4554-5668-4458

Rainbow colors, his love for disguising himself up as someone he is not and men wearing skin tight body suits. It's all laid out for us, Marc is in love with the power rangers.

[quote name='Mad D']Rainbow colors, his love for disguising himself up as someone he is not and men wearing skin tight body suits. It's all laid out for us, Marc is in love with the power rangers.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MNuStICgPQ
Go Zack! fuck Tommy and his flute, Wild Force, Dino Thunder, and all that other crap!

P.S. Every single YouTube clip for season 1's intro is embedding disabled. The season 2 intro above is just not the same! :bomb:

I still think the pink power ranger is way hot... even after these years... she's on Flashpoint right now... Though... I'd want to call her the pink power ranger, weird... I know.

bread's done
Back