My breakup letter to Movie Gallery Corporate...

Sanidy

CAG Veteran
I worked at a Game crazy for close to two years. My store was amazing, the company (as some of you know already) was not.
I just sent this letter to them.
Just posting it in case you want to read why I am bitter.

To Whom it May Concern,

As a former employee of Game Crazy and Hollywood Video, I felt it only right that I take the exit survey to let you know of all the atrocities going on in your corporation. However, it does not surprise me that as I click the link for the exit survey on your site, it leads to an error page. Why would you want to hear what we, the lower level employees, would have to say about your corrupt system? You never cared about us in the first place. That was evident when I told my District Manager, Mike Kampka, that I didn’t feel safe opening our Game Crazy by myself, with no one on the Hollywood side. His reply was “Why?” The real question would be, why he even bother to ask.
You see, when you decided to pay the said amount that you owed on your bankruptcy loan, you put all of us at 6425 South I H 35, Austin, TX 78745, in danger. You made us close and open by ourselves at a store that, not only is in a bad part of town, a few months later would be robbed. When my Store Manager and Assistant Manager called me to tell me what happened the night it was robbed, it came as no surprise. In that neighborhood it was inevitable. What did surprise me was that my District Manager was nowhere to be found? Why wasn’t he opening the store or there helping my managers clean up the glass? The sad truth of the matter is, we rather not have his help.
Besides making us work in dangerous conditions, Mike Kampka makes us all uncomfortable. He never uses positive reinforcement. In the six months I worked with him, being number one in our district the majority of the time, we were thanked by him once. We, and other stores in our district, were constantly belittled on conference calls. “Who’s the biggest loser this week?” he would ask as he reviewed our numbers.
He came late in the day after we had been robbed. He greeted one employee even though three of us were there, then left without saying another word. He didn’t say “goodbye,” he didn’t ask how the day was going working around smashed, glass cases. He didn’t say anything about the “emergency mandatory inventory” the company would be making us go through in the next few days. The next time I see Mike Kampka, he says to us that it looks like none of us are suspect. Wow, thank you for everything you do for us. Thanks for making me feel comfortable after what had happened. Not, “We hired security to be with you when you open or close.” Not, “We gave you more hours so that you can do your inventory and not go over.” Not even, “We gave you more hours so that you can have people opening or closing with you.” He gave us nothing just like your corporation told him too. You continue to give our store nothing even though employees threaten to leave their positions in fear for their safety. What do you care? You’ll just get someone who will work for less to fill their spot.
That’s really what it boils down to, the reason why you and Blockbuster and so many companies will not pull through this recession. You could care less about your employees and customers. You fill your pockets by squeezing the little guy. You tell the managers in our store that if they have another loss prevention issue (robbery) occurs they will lose their bonuses if not their jobs. I ask you how an employee can prevent a robbery? You won’t increase security but somehow they can stop criminal acts? In the middle of a recession, you blame them for low numbers, cutting bonuses. You push the sales of Game Guards, Play Guards, Warrantees, MVPs but cut almost all commission. How much more blood do you want from a turnip? Oh, wait, it doesn’t matter anyways because there comes a crew of desperate people looking for jobs with low pay. Low pay is better than nothing. Out with the old, in with the new.
As you can see, I was fired, also by a complete injustice. I was fired when I called my boyfriend in to help me close the shop on Black Friday. I was left alone because my assistant manager was ridiculously ill and had to leave. I didn’t call anyone else in because they all had worked at least twelve hours that day already. In consideration to my coworkers and the company (as I didn’t want to hold up the people on the Hollywood side from closing), refusing to break policy, I called my boyfriend. I knew it was against policy to have people in the store afterhours, however, being by myself under unusual conditions, I thought that maybe someone would have a heart and see that I only intended on doing the right thing. Also, I thought it would be pretty apparent that my boyfriend wouldn’t be trying to steal anything considering he help lock up the shop.
After almost two years of dedicated work, countless little things I did for midnight releases, money spent out of my own pocket for those events and other things our company wouldn’t give our shop money for (i.e. things for organization, decoration, advertisement, delivering and receiving product in my own vehicle), relationships that I had developed with customers (buying their children games for their birthdays, raising money for their children’s recovery after life occurrences, remembering customer names, interests, lives) you fired me. Just like that. Everyone who worked with me at this location felt the loss. My Store Manager did everything he could to keep me, but in your eyes and in the eyes of Mike Kampka, I could be replaced.
So, at the conclusion of my story, I would like you to know that you will be replace. You will go bankrupt soon and nothing will be left of your company but these horrible reviews by your former employees that tell the legacy of all your “hard work and consideration.”
I know no reprimand will come to Mike Kampka for his bad decision making and total lack of professionalism but then again, I can take satisfaction knowing that even his wife can’t stand to be around him any longer.
Movie Gallery Corporate, I hope you can sleep at night knowing everything you have done and will continue to do to screw these good people. I will do my job of spreading the word of your “good deeds.”
Sincerely,
Sandy G (i took my last name out on this forum post for privacy goodness)

P.S. Thank you for everyone that worked with me and all the costumers that loved me. I love you all and I hope that you see this place for what it is.

It's unfortunate that you lost your job, but there's positive in the sense that you no longer have to work in such an unsafe, unwanted environment.

I'm sure that you will be able to find other opportunities in the near future, so good luck to you.

It's not the same for every district. Mike Kampka sounds like a jerk. My former DM was a jerk, the newer one is pretty cool. It definitely is sad how they treat some employees. I've seen the best employees get fired for the dumbest reasons, only to be replaced by someone who does half their work at least two times slower than the previous employee.

My main beef with corporate is how they have Managers on payroll. No clocking in or out, they get paid whether they're there or not. You wouldn't believe how many managers of stores I know that come in about 2 hours late and leave 4 hours early. Some put in as little as 20 hours a week and get paid for 45. It's unbelievable.

thank you.
yeah, i do look at it as a positive change.
though i am bitter about the way the corporation is run, i am thankful for the experience. i learned a lot working there and i made some awesome friends.

i know. there are so many things wrong with the company.
yeah, not all dm's are bad. i didn't mean for it to sound like i was saying that.
our last dm was amazing. on top of just being a really great dm he had a spiderman back piece. not that it makes the man but it helps working with nerds as big as myself. i miss him.
it's also not fair when a store manager, like mine, is there almost constantly and doesn't make bonuses for stupid reason. salary is a horrible thing.

Having 1 person in a store opening or closing is just asking for trouble. Where I work, there is always a minimum of 2 people opening and closing every day no exceptions. No one is ever in the store alone, except maybe for 5 minutes if only 2 people are there and 1 walks out to grab some food from another store in the shopping center.

If a small independent store realizes how important it is to have 2 people minimum in the store at all times, than a national chain like Movie Gallery should as well.

I was a shift leader for a Game Crazy in Vegas back in 1999. I quit one day because the new manager corporate put in was a total jackass. He would hold your job over your head like you were his bitch or something over any little thing. Name was Ben. Can't remember his last name...the kind of fat bastard who used to get his lunch money took in high school.

He was trying to write me up for some bullshit, and I wasn't gonna sign it because it was bullshit. He said, "You can sign or you can leave." I threw my keys on the desk so phuckkin' fast he probably thought I was Quick Draw McGraw.

I ain't nobody's bitch.:cool:

Good on you, Sandy, and I wish you luck. I work in healthcare now...no worries of getting robbed at the hospital. Plus, I make enough money where I can buy the games I want, when I want. Now if I only had the time to play them all....;)

huh. I've met Mike in passing, but I dont KNOW him. He seemed alright to me, but working with people is a different story.

Shane K here. You know me.

hey shane, how ya been? did you get your street fighter joystick? word spreads fast around town about the rare video game items. i'd like to think me and ricky pride ourselves in knowing them when they come by.
that's also one of the bad things about mike. he'll be nice to your face and talk smack about you to everyone behind your back. he's just all around a shady character.

Good for you for writing such a passionate and thought out letter. I live near that store, but have never ventured inside. I'm sure there's somewhere around town that would appreciate such a hard working employee. :D

Mike Kampka is a dick. I don't know Mike Kampka but I've known and worked with people like Mike Kampka.

I'm going to take a Mike and wipe my Kampka now.

Kudos for having some values and not holding back on your feelings. Someone will read it, maybe someone above them, but I've been there before. I managed a drug store for about 4 years while I was going to college and way it was run from the top only fueled my fire to take one more extra class a semester to get it done (I took six classes in summer my last semester just to get the hell out of there 5 months earlier).

The problem with retail is that as you mentioned everyone is seen as replaceable. Decisions are driven by pure numbers and people that can work over their boss regardless of how poor their performance is. Your intelligence shines through in your writing so I'm sure you will bounce out of this better than when you started. Best of luck.

I did get my stick, even though it seems Ricky has not. I dont have much occasion to use it though, since I dont own the game or the systems its on.

I'm a casual stick enthusiast. Right now I've got 10.

i just figured that should grow a pair and say something. who knows, maybe it will benefit my friends who still work there somehow.

about those sticks, apparently there was a shortage and that's why ricky didn't get his. he pre-ordered it after you, shane. he should have been on it but i guess it's a good thing for you or you might not have gotten yours.

as for anyone who lives near that location, you should check it out. they are going to have a great resident evil 5 midnight release, jello brains and zombies. it's going to be sweet!

Hey, I know where that store is at. Never been inside though.

It was a very nice letter though. That is completely ridiculous to ask anyone really to open or close a store in that location by themselves. Unfortunately from what I have heard, most GameCrazy/EB Games/Gamestop managers are like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would never get belittled by someone, u should have quit earlier if ur manager was such a jerk.

better late then never i suppose.

sorry about being fired. ull find other companies have better work cultures and managers!

Sanidy, I received word Friday my HV location is closing, as are half of the locations in my district. If you are here, please PM me. I've the same issues you had/have (is, closing alone), and there's somethin'-somethin' I'd like to do with/about it. Thanks! :)

Denny

so what did your boss try to squeeze your charmin or something? he wouldnt do that if you didnt go in there dessed all provocatively and what not.........freakin chicks always complaining about something
jk

[quote name='javeryh']Your mistake was caring about your job.[/QUOTE]
This.

Sometimes it feels good to write our feelings out, to get them out of our head. It's a good way of venting. But that's probably as far as your letter will go. I can't see a CEO responding with something like, "After further review, we have realized that Mike Kampka is a total douche and that you're allowed to have your boyfriend in the store after hours with our thousands of dollars worth of inventory. He's a swell guy. Please accept our apology and we will see you back at work starting this Monday at your previous wage of $6.25."

The first lesson in Business Management is that lower levels are replaceable. Unless you have some measurable level of value that you brought to the store that can now be measured in your absence, you are in fact: replaceable.

Remember, it's only a job at a Video Game Rental store. If you've been there two years and haven't been promoted to atleast Store Manager or even District/Regional manager, then it doesn't sound like it was really going anywhere in the first place. Mike Kampka the total douche managed to get to that position. He obviously did something right.

By the way, this is Mike Kampka's mother.

[quote name='Sanidy']yeah, he sure seems to be.[/QUOTE]

thing is, it happens in alot of corporate places and even some franchises unfortunately. I got laid off due to not being able to perform 'full duties' even though the injury was work related and these types of things happen. I've seen how gc employees get treated and just refuse to shop there anymore and I rarely shop @ gs too (only go to 1 store) because they fired a friend who was a store mgr on some bogus stuff and it was unjustified..there was no proof. overall, gaming is getting too much and i've taken a step back now and am re-analyzing things and am spending less and less as time goes on. it starts with a local store like gamecrazy and works it's way up to crappy support/customer service from microsoft. gaming in general has just been on a decline in my opinion as every year goes on. everything isn't like it used to be, there is too much milking for $ (whether it's for dlc add-on or paying minimum wage to an employee to do a job that should be getting paid more) and so much more i'm tired of seeing it. them all

Ugh, the every day working man should just get violent one of these days and hold the higher ups who steal everybody's money accountable. Bust some heads, pop some caps, and bring about revolution. There have got to be like 10,000 workers to each cop, so bringing about violent revolution shouldn't be too much of a hassle. No more of this limp wristed union everybody's screwing somebody over while the privileged class takes money they never earn. Those people need to die.

Hopefully it will start with that Mike Kampla.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']The first lesson in Business Management is that lower levels are replaceable. Unless you have some measurable level of value that you brought to the store that can now be measured in your absence, you are in fact: replaceable.[/QUOTE]

And this is why I quit business school. These business practices are disgusting and dehumanizing. I felt like such a sleaze among assholes who were just around to make a quick buck at everybody else's expense.

I suppose they're replaceable after they get knifed in the heart and die in the middle of your store because you can find some other poor sap who will stand on top of the bloodstained carpet behind the counter until they are 187'd, too. Because it's all about the numbers and you making money while sitting at a desk in your corporate office far away from the riff raff!

It's totally disgusting, and it needs to stop by any means necessary.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Business School is all about the bottom line, emotions and feelings be damned.[/QUOTE]

And it's wrong. I'm not even talking about emotions and feelings. I'm talking about treating people with respect. These days, respect means nothing to the privileged class. Bottom line be damned. They don't even respect their $6.25 an hour workers' lives. Not their livelihoods. Their lives. It should be criminal.

I read this thread and got all fired up by the OP and how great it was and I was going to congratulate her on such a great letter then I saw the words "RE5 midnight release" and I looked at the date and felt stupid for not checking it when I first went into the thread.

Hope things are going a lot better for you now, Sanidy! That was a great letter!

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I read this thread and got all fired up by the OP and how great it was and I was going to congratulate her on such a great letter then I saw the words "RE5 midnight release" and I looked at the date and felt stupid for not checking it when I first went into the thread.

Hope things are going a lot better for you now, Sanidy! That was a great letter![/QUOTE]
same with the date. but it's easy to confuse, because it was pretty much exactly one year ago.
as for the letter, i understand the OP was upset, but if she really wanted to be taken seriously, she should have been more professional.

Oh, and if you brought your bf to help you close knowing it is against store policy, you did deserve to get fired. You should have called your Store Manager first and told him you need him to come help you. As SMGR, it's his responsibility. What you did was blatently disrespect the rules.

One of the last times I bought something at a Game Crazy, I just went in to buy one game and the guy wouldn't stop pitching me all the extra crap. Saying no once wasn't enough. I had to say no multiple times to each thing he tried to sell me. I thought about turning around and walking out right there. I think that Game Crazy might've gone out of business.

You probably just got that guy a promotion, they will be using your letter to train future DM's. Sad but thats what they look for, cold heartless people that can do the dirty work for them. Just from reading your replies they didnt deserve to have you working there anyway.

[quote name='myl0r']same with the date. but it's easy to confuse, because it was pretty much exactly one year ago.
as for the letter, i understand the OP was upset, but if she really wanted to be taken seriously, she should have been more professional.

Oh, and if you brought your bf to help you close knowing it is against store policy, you did deserve to get fired. You should have called your Store Manager first and told him you need him to come help you. As SMGR, it's his responsibility. What you did was blatently disrespect the rules.[/QUOTE]

You were this guy in school, weren't you?

105355-C3J04CK.jpg

bread's done
Back